1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by bane
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

untitledSonny and Cher Late night. (resized).png
100_0270 (resized).JPG

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

All the best ones. I'll start it off with this one.

#3 1 year ago

Holy shit that was epic.

#4 1 year ago

Got turned on to Future Islands after seeing this

#5 1 year ago

This one's a blast from the past. Jim Carrol Band on Fridays. Got me pumped up for their concert at the Whisky A Go Go the next night.

#6 1 year ago

Always loved this one.

John

#7 1 year ago

That Jimmy Fallon/Neil Young song is great! Thanks for posting.

#8 1 year ago

I was going to comment on how amazing and sometimes not so amazing the guests have been on Saturday night live.

After looking into it I now have several full episodes I have to watch. Three or more.

Blues brothers with Steve Martin hosting. Magic.

#9 1 year ago

John Belushi and Joe Cocker on SNL was hilarious.

#10 1 year ago

Nothin' like a little St Paul and the Broken Bones on late night TV.
Wally

#11 1 year ago

Warren Zevon’s last appearance on Letterman - “Enjoy every sandwich”

#12 1 year ago

Sometime around 1980, about a year before MTV got started, there was a sindicated music video show that ran late night on Fridays. They would also have live musical guests. I remember seeing X perform Johnny Hit and Run Paulene and Los Angeles. Being an East coast punk, this was my first exposure to X, but I like them to this day. I dig the haunting harmonies of Exene and John Doe.

#13 1 year ago

I remember many great performances on the old Midnight Special show...those were the days.

#14 1 year ago

Dead & Company - Brown Eyed Women - Live on Jimmy Fallon
I saw The Dead in 2017 twice . Once in Boulder Co in June . Then At Red Rocks in August . The show was 6 ours long . No group from the 1960's still gives fan service year in and year out like members of Grateful Dead .
(HQ)

100_0270 (resized).JPG

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from boscokid:

That Jimmy Fallon/Neil Young song is great! Thanks for posting.

Yup that literally brought a tear to my eye

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Sometime around 1980, about a year before MTV got started, there was a sindicated music video show that ran late night on Fridays. They would also have live musical guests. I remember seeing X perform Johnny Hit and Run Paulene and Los Angeles. Being an East coast punk, this was my first exposure to X, but I like them to this day. I dig the haunting harmonies of Exene and John Doe.

I don't recall seeing X on TV. We'd just go see them. Amazing band. But they did make the big screen in Decline.

Found this gem from 1980 on Fridays.

#17 1 year ago

I would like to watch all of the Friday's series.

I was just remembering an appearance I saw by Ted nugent on letterman. Pretty amazing this the exact episode:

Interesting I can just watch it now bam. Cool.

#18 1 year ago

Nuge rules.

#19 1 year ago

Is Crispin Glover a musician? If not, I'll make an exception for this performance.

#20 1 year ago

The re union of Sonny and Cher on the Tonight Show or was it Letterman, was classic. Singing I got you Babe.untitledSonny and Cher Late night. (resized).png

#21 1 year ago

The boys tearing up the Whistle Stop.

#22 1 year ago

From Letterman's inaugural episode.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't recall seeing X on TV. We'd just go see them. Amazing band. But they did make the big screen in Decline.
Found this gem from 1980 on Fridays.
» YouTube video

Friday's! What a gem that show was and seems not many people remember it. I used to love the skit w/Michael Richards when he played a little kid and his army men! Don Kirshners Rock Concert along w/The Midnight Special that was mentioned. Much easier times back then.

#24 1 year ago

sctv the fishin musician was hilarious. First time I saw Loudness perform. I became an instant fan.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Friday's! What a gem that show was and seems not many people remember it. I used to love the skit w/Michael Richards when he played a little kid and his army men!

The Ganga Cooking Show and the “take a pill” skits were classic too. Friday’s was what SNL was in its earliest days, and was where Richards and Larry David were cutting their teeth at TV comedy...preludes to Seinfeld.

#26 1 year ago

Pretty sure it wasn't late night but rather a cable show local to the NY area. It was called After Hours and Ozzy and the band played 4 songs. Randy Rhoads was in the band and later died in a plane crash a year later. That show is special to early Ozzy/Randy fans. One of the few pro filmed shots of that band, if not the only. Epic and classic..............

#27 1 year ago

I'm suprised Fridays was not fully collected for sale yet? It appears the best you get is a greatest hits DVD.

that show was Friday night and then snl the next night.

I think I was 13.

Time really flies...

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Randy Rhoads was in the band and later died in a plane crash a year later.

Great guitarist. I actually looked him up based on your post since I didn't remember any details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Rhoads

Some rock stars went out in unique ways.

#29 1 year ago

Friday's was GREAT. So many cool new bands. That was my introduction to Wendy O Williams and the Plasmatics. Could not get enough. Also, Mark Blankfield's scatterbrained pharmacist morphed into the movie Jekyll and Hyde Together Again. Classic. Wish the shows were available on DVD.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Great guitarist. I actually looked him up based on your post since I didn't remember any details.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Rhoads
Some rock stars went out in unique ways.

Randy Rhodes was insanely good. I would love to have seen how more music would have sounded from the whole team.

You need to just listen to all of diary of a madman and all of blizzard of Ozz

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Randy Rhoads was in the band and later died in a plane crash a year later.

I was at that show, sadly.. (just a spectator, not working that day).....Pat Travers was in town and covered the set, as they explained there had been an accident, and Ozzy wasn't going to perform. A very tragic story, as we all found out a bit later....he was an amazing guitar player...

#32 1 year ago

Nirvana on snl (both times) and Beastie Boys on Letterman around 94 come to mind.

More recently, Foo Fighters on Letterman's retirement shows

#33 1 year ago

Randy Rhoads was the best guitarist in a battle of the bands at my high school. And they won. Ran into another member of the band, Kelly Garni, running a video rental store a few years later. That dude was totally cool. Quiot Riot went on without them.

#34 1 year ago

Randy Rhodes seemed to also being fresh enthusiam and talent to ozzy, at the time.

And then the other guys rocked. The bass player. He contributed a lot.

#35 1 year ago

I've had a VHS copy of the After Hours since 1985 or so. Check it out if you haven't already. Both Diary and Blizzard albums had that "voodoo" to them. Randy is sorely missed. A pin w/the Ozzy Tribute album theme would cool.

#36 1 year ago

Devo showed up on Fridays in 1981, right about the time their New Traditionalists album came out and the movie Heavy Metal featured a couple of their new songs, including this one.

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Friday's! What a gem that show was and seems not many people remember it. I used to love the skit w/Michael Richards when he played a little kid and his army men!

Remember when they did it as a parody of Time Bandits? (sort of):

And how about this reoccouring sketch? ...

#38 1 year ago

Always thought and appears to me they are not playing live and lip singing on all shows with bands these days, not sure if did the same in the

#39 1 year ago

I read a book by one of Randys friends/ fellow guitarist, who was on tour with them. He said something to the effect that the pilots ex-wife? was on the bus and he thinks the pilot tried to kill her in a murder suicide. He imagined randy fighting the pilot for control once he figured out his plan, with randy saving his friends on the bus. I think the plane hit the front half.

#41 1 year ago

slayer just knocks it outta the park. When I read the thread title this was the first that popped in my head! Jimmmy’s basically awe-struck and dosent know what to say lol

#42 1 year ago

#43 1 year ago

One of my all time favorites was The Tubes (man, Todd Rundgren killed their edge) on either Tomorrow or the Late Late Show with Tom Snyder. Just amazing performance. As were many of the musical guests on his show. The man was willing to really give a forum to some musical acts that no one else would (other than Fridays).

I just spent about 20 min searching for this clip on-line, and came up empty. It's amazing that anything isn't on-line anymore.

Found it. Still pretty cool, but not as wild as I remember it. Can't figure out how to embed it though. Long way from White Punks on Dope.

#action=share

#44 1 year ago

#45 1 year ago

Sugarcubes SNL 1988 is a good one

http://dai.ly/xkkg5u

#46 1 year ago

FEAR on SNL - [drops mic]

There ended up being $200,000 to the studio.

#47 1 year ago

This doesn't qualify as the 'best' late night performance by any stretch, but it's one of my favorites:

#48 1 year ago

Off the road since 2012, Indianapolis darlings Margot and the Nuclear So and So's announced impromptu nye show. Sold out in an hour. I'm hosting a Denver pal and wife and know a fella from England flying in for this show. Can't wait!

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from jesster64:

I read a book by one of Randys friends/ fellow guitarist, who was on tour with them. He said something to the effect that the pilots ex-wife? was on the bus and he thinks the pilot tried to kill her in a murder suicide. He imagined randy fighting the pilot for control once he figured out his plan, with randy saving his friends on the bus. I think the plane hit the front half.

The pilot's body was loaded with cocaine, he was trying a low flying stunt.

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Always loved this one.

+1000!!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Various Other Swag
Third Coast Pinball
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 89.00
Cabinet Parts
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 115.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Art Prints
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 12.50
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 73.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
LightAndTimeArt
€ 8.40
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 10.00
$ 89.99
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside