New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 149026)

Best integrated use of a third flipper?

By twinmice

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by jorant
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pat_(resized).jpg
flipped_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

I like games that actually have shots that have to be used with the third flipper, like TZ, what others pins use that third flipper the best?

#2 4 years ago

I like the third flipper in Whirlwind and WH20. Those third flipper jackpots are the best!!

#3 4 years ago

The warp ramp is my favorite shot off a third flipper, so I would say ST's is my favorite. Tron's is really well integrated and has one of the hardest shots in the gem shot. TAF's third flipper is nice as well. The two shots (both jackpot shots) feel really good. Congo has two very satisfying shots off its third flipper that can be a ball lock, inner loop, or go into a saucer. The Shadow has one of the fastest inner loops off its third flipper.

If I had to rank my favorite third flippers:

ST
Tron
TAF
Congo
Shadow

#4 4 years ago

From the games I have I gotta say STTNG with that very important but difficult delta ramp shot. Alternatively you can hit the advance rank shot, but I never aim for that. It usually hits that when missing the delta.

Judge Dredd uses the third and even fourth flipper greatly for making the large and small orbit loops, and can be quite fun when making combo's, but other than that there's only one mission where you need this flipper. The fourth flipper is very small and its damn hard making proper shots with it, or even have control over the ball, because it only moves a very small distance until it stops.

The Demolition Man is about the same as the TZ, with a skillshot ramp added. You can shoot the skillshot, computer shot, and the jackpots here.

#5 4 years ago

So I'm guessing hobbit won't be on this list lol

I like the the taf shot too, especially for triple jackpot

#6 4 years ago

I can't think of a game that doesn't make good use of third flipper. My favorite are games like TS and Congo where you have multiple shots from the third flipper.

#7 4 years ago

twinmice: do you mean which machines have mutiple shots off a third flipper? There are many titles with just 1 or 2 shots from the flipper, so I think you are asking which titles have many shots.

Of course, this opens up the conversation to whether upper playfields count. The upper playfield in Wizard of Oz for example has 8 things to shoot for - 6 targets, a door, and a loop.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I can't think of a game that doesn't make good use of third flipper.

WOZ and Hobbit. Lawlor can fix that on game #3.

#10 4 years ago

X men is another one not the most popular game but the upper flipper is used for some good shots

#11 4 years ago

BK2K. Would be worthless without it! On the contrary it has one of the most useless lower left flippers.

#12 4 years ago

The Hobbit has as much need of a third flipper as a fish needs a bycicle.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

WOZ and Hobbit. Lawlor can fix that on game #3.

I'll give you TH, unless killing Smaug is what that flipper is for...we'll see. On WOZ, you have to have that flipper to melt the witch and hit the skill shot through the haunted forest. Pretty necessary to advancing the game.

#14 4 years ago

Earthshaker!

#15 4 years ago

I would say for modern games Tron and Spider-Man. I wouldn't even consider stern ST as it is a direct duplicate of SM and SM came first.

For older games I really like the third flipper on HS, HS2 and DW.

#16 4 years ago

Stern ST, Tron and X-Men. Plus TAF, NGG (jackpot shot) and WH20.

#17 4 years ago

Flash. If you time it just right, you can get all of the three bank targets.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I would say for modern games Tron and Spider-Man. I wouldn't even consider stern ST as it is a direct duplicate of SM and SM came first.
For older games I really like the third flipper on HS, HS2 and DW.

I own SM and had Star Trek in my house for a little over a month.

The warp ramp does NOT feel like the Venom ramp. The warp ramp return is one of the most badass in any game I have played. It was easily my favorite shot in ST. One of my favorite shots period!

#19 4 years ago

F-14 has very well used 3rd and 4th flippers. Having those two flippers up there allow you to hit the targets rather quick, and really gives the ball lots more momentum and adds to the chaos.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I own SM and had Star Trek in my house for a little over a month.
The warp ramp does NOT feel like the Venom ramp. The warp ramp return is one of the most badass in any game I have played. It was easily my favorite shot in ST. One of my favorite shots period!

Well good for you. I still feel they are very similar shots. Different strokes

#21 4 years ago

FREDDY's 3rd flipper gets a fair amount of use. Several shots in a wide range can be made from it including a combo that requires a sequential shot from the 3rd flipper, and an extra ball shot that would be very difficult without it (as it can easily make the main boiler shot, I never dislike being able to use the 3rd flipper). The Freddy head also feeds the 3rd flipper (usually), which has a lot to do with the feeling of "integration." Of course there's also the glove flipper that's required for its jackpot shot (usually a bit sloppy, but a solid jackpot shot is rather satisfying). Unfortunately linear rules lend to the game getting dull quickly at home in my opinion, but otherwise it has a lot going for it.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

So I'm guessing hobbit won't be on this list lol
I like the the taf shot too, especially for triple jackpot

Hobbit has a third flipper just so they can say it has a third flipper.

#23 4 years ago

Star Trek and Spider-Man. Still have trouble with TZ third flipper shot into piano but it's only one shot unlike the other two games I mentioned which have a few shots with third flipper

#24 4 years ago

The WH2O flipper has two shots. They're good shots, but only two of them. The upper right flipper on TSPP has to have the most shots available to it of any upper flipper in all of pinball. It's loaded.

#25 4 years ago
#26 4 years ago

Bally FireBall II

#27 4 years ago

Star Trek and Earthshaker both have clutch shots from the flipper. Funhouse comes to mind as well.

Marc

#28 4 years ago

I think having 3+ different reasonable things to hit from the third flipper is very interesting.

TZ is interesting because it's the only game I can think of with 'two' third flippers (instead of a third and fourth)

#29 4 years ago

Defender

#30 4 years ago

Whirlwind in my opinion. Jackpot shot. Relight the super cellar. And advances towards multiball. Not to mention that sweet sweet 3 way combo.

#31 4 years ago

Earth shaker....but without it BK2K would not be a game at all.

#32 4 years ago

Elvis...........ha hahahahahahaha, just kidding

#33 4 years ago

Well good for you. I still feel they are very similar shots. Different strokes

Yeah, it is good for me.

I like SM more as a pin but hitting the warp ramp repeatedly is an awesome rush.Not just hitting the shot but the return is part of the feel, IMO.

Just like TAF and WW. Many people claim that they feel the same but I like the left ramp in WW way more. It feels way more like a mirror of Tron, which is also awesome.

#34 4 years ago

Strange Science, Load up the atom smasher for the multiball.

#35 4 years ago

I think that it's a toss-up between Star Trek and The Getaway.

#36 4 years ago

Tron..Gem shot. Such a reward

#37 4 years ago

How has nobody mentioned SST? Great and unique 3rd flipper integration!

I like TAF, Congo, TZ

#38 4 years ago

Tron, SM to name the obvious

X-men, ST to name a few others

But I always had a thing for NGG

Make sense to be putting after driving the ball left and right

#39 4 years ago

High speed I and II.

#40 4 years ago

I really like the third flipper on HS, HS2 and DW.

My 3rd flipper stopped working last night and I proceeded to have my second best game yet.

image_(resized).jpeg

#41 4 years ago

Vette is a great 3rd flipper also

#42 4 years ago

Stargate's third flipper is my favorite because of the variety of shots it caters. There's the ramp, obviously, but also the pyramid, glidercraft kicker target, and drop targets.

#43 4 years ago

Love the 3rd flipper on TAF, SM and WH20- all fun shots.

#44 4 years ago

I'm agreeing with tamoore on TSPP. If measured in how often you use it compared to the other flippers it has a really high usage rate, plus it is loaded with reasons to use it.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Earth shaker....but without it BK2K would not be a game at all.

BK2K's 3rd flipper gets almost zero use. The third flipper being the left one.

#46 4 years ago

If there are six flippers then which is the third?

flipped_(resized).jpg

#48 4 years ago

Baywatch.

Baywatch uses multiple solenoids to stage the upper left flipper shot really, really well. During tidal wave you can hit the VUK which feeds the kicker by the shark flipper that sends the ball all the way around the orbit to make the upper left flipper for the side ramp shot.

Also once you qualify for the SUPER JACKPOT in baywatch, the shots all start feeding to the kicker on the right side to launch the ball through the orbit so you can take a shot at the super on the side ramp with the upper left flipper. Really nice job sega did on that setup. I have not seen a game use a kicker like that to feed a flipper like that since.

#49 4 years ago

Stargate has several shots that are great and SM has buttery smooth shots.

#50 4 years ago

I know its not as popular, but man hitting the ramp on Dirty Harry using the 3rd flipper...is just gratifying....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 164.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside