(Topic ID: 258704)

Now a Poll: Best Innovation to Pinball of the Last Decade

By DudeRegular

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“The Best Pinball Innovation of the Last Decade!”

• LCD Screen 14 votes
      20%
    • Color DMD 13 votes
      19%
    • LED Lighting (RGB Included) 10 votes
      14%
    • Camera 0 votes
    • PinGulp 2 votes
      3%
    • Stadium Lights 1 vote
      1%
    • Pinball Map 2 votes
      3%
    • Neverdrains software 0 votes
    • Matchplay website 1 vote
      1%
    • Internet Streaming 0 votes
    • Non Glare Glass 1 vote
      1%
    • Hardtops 2 votes
      3%
    • USB Code Updating 1 vote
      1%
    • P3 6 votes
      9%
    • JJP 14 votes
      20%
    • Opto Spinners 0 votes
    • Something else! 2 votes
      3%

(69 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20200102-101737~2 (resized).png
    HT (resized).png
    P3 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200102-014910~2 (resized).png

#1 4 years ago

I have been reading other threads about best games, and listening to podcasts discuss things as well. It got me thinking about what new (or newly re-used) features, technologies, upgrades, changes, etc have come along. What has had the best positive change to pinball? This can include anything from the manufacturers or aftermarket industry as well. I may make this a poll later, but discussion would be great. I will list a few to get things going (fully acknowledge I may not have exact 10 years start dates, but widespread use works as well).

LCD screens - big change in how information is displayed and can bring in more players
    ColorDMD - Major improvement on nearly every title I have seen it installed on
    LED lighting (including RGB addressable lighting) - Light shows are significantly better, and modes can really change too
    Selfie cameras - no love for this one haha
    PinGulp - drinks while flipping
    Stadium lights - can brighten up a dark game
    PinballMap (app and website) - amazing for finding games to play
    Matchplay website - great for tournaments
    NeverDrains software - great for tournaments
    Internet Streaming rigs - big for getting the hype out for a new game and showing off different games while connecting with the community
    PDI/Invisiglass/non-glare glass - nearly eliminates reflections and makes things very clear.
    Hardtops - super cool, I finally got a chance to play on one and its fantastic (Taxi at MOM's in College Park, MD btw)
    USB code updates are nice, I agree
    The P3 platform looks cool, I have yet to play one (feel free to invite me over friends )
    JJP in general tends to package up quite a few things which does a good job of moving the whole hobby/industry forward

#2 4 years ago

You've already mentioned most of the best stuff...

For me, it's the LCD screens, especially so when incorporated onto the playfield somehow... like the theater in Dialed In for example.

I'm not sure when USB code updates started, but that's pretty big, being able to update your games via code.

If people count as innovation but I'm sure Stern fans would probably say, "how about new game designs from new designers like Keith Elwin".

Finally, I would call Jersey Jack itself, the biggest innovation. They are largely responsible for the current renaissance in pinball. Without them coming along, we would have far fewer choices and might even still be playing games with DMD's.

#4 4 years ago

Color dmd

#5 4 years ago

led lighting and non volatile ram chips. updated electronics from places like altek and rottendog, pascal, etc

#6 4 years ago

Why isn't there an option for Star Wars topper??

Lololololol

Screenshot_20200102-014910~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200102-014910~2 (resized).png
    #7 4 years ago

greed
    Stern realizing thatvthere is a home market andd deciding to cash in by offering LEs and aftermarket accesories

#8 4 years ago

I would say introducing standard pc hardware to run a pin is a pretty big innovation (and perhaps long overdue), just one of the many JJP initiatives.

Quoted from jcg9998:

Finally, I would call Jersey Jack itself, the biggest innovation.

#9 4 years ago

Rgb lighting

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

I would say introducing standard pc hardware to run a pin is a pretty big innovation (and perhaps long overdue), just one of the many JJP initiatives.

Williams did it :p
    Pinball 2000 runs on a pc.

#11 4 years ago

Opto spinners are pretty amazing. Have they been used outside of Beatles?

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Why isn't there an option for Star Wars topper??

Because they put the plaque on the back of the topper, and made what looks like the back the front! That is the only reason I can come up with!

#14 4 years ago

How did PDI glass (or just anti reflective glass in general) not make this list? It came out in 2011.

I would vote, in order:

1) LCD display
    2) RGB lighting coded into games (LED lights came out last decade)
    3) ColorDMD
    4) PDI glass (and other high performance glass)

#15 4 years ago

This is a GREAT TOPIC and I have a GREAT answer for you... the greatest single innovation to pinball was three WORDS: JERSEY JACK PINBALL!

Jersey Jack had several setbacks sure, they learned the hard way in many cases without a doubt but they blew up pinball single handed.

What is totally SHOCKING to me is they introduced Wizard of Oz with this giant LCD screen, and Stern kept doing dot matrix for several machines thereafter. Then when they finally did switch to LCD the screen isn't even half the size. Huh?

Jersey Jack gave us a WORLD under a glass we didn't know was possible. JJP introduced us not only to a massive LCD screen but CGI FX you would only expect from a Hollywood movie. They gave us radcal, apron art, a little flap that slides down when you lift up your game to hold the balls in (not sure why Stern didn't follow suit), camera's to take your picture, headphone jacks on every machine, playfields with rails so you can actually take it out of the cabinet and set it on the ground.

Jersey Jack turned pinball into an art form, with tech no one ever imagined prior. Look at the operation menu still to this date NOT ONE SINGLE pinball company has one even close! Why?

Jersey Jack took the deep dive to think outside the box, to go where no pinball has gone before!

Nearly if not every single innovation from a pinball supplier came from Jersey Jack Pinball.

If you want to hand out the award to the best pinball company of the decade: Jersey Jack Pinball would win hands down!

With all that being said you know what was probably JJP biggest contribution???

Prior to JJP there was only one company Stern. JJP showed and proved that a new company could start from scratch and realize a dream. Since JJP founded we've seen many many new pinball companies.

Would Aliens or Big Lebowski ever happened if JJP didn't create Wizard of Oz? NEVER!

JJP showed a blueprint for a pinball start up! I give Stern all the credit 110% of it for keeping Pinball alive when it appeared over, dead, finished, but JJP gets the award for blowing the perception of what a pinball is or could be wide open.

Kudo's to JJP!

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

This is a GREAT TOPIC and I have a GREAT answer for you... the greatest single innovation to pinball was three WORDS: JERSEY JACK PINBALL!

You said it, the coming of WOZ was a wakeup call for pinball!

#17 4 years ago

Pinball streaming. Fun , easy way to check out a game if none are available for play near you.

#18 4 years ago

P3 (resized).jpgP3 (resized).jpg

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingofGames:

Williams did it :p
    Pinball 2000 runs on a pc

I stand corrected - dang, those folks at Williams sure were innovative!

#20 4 years ago

More women getting involved.

#21 4 years ago

The correct answer is color dmd. Orange dots suck.

Does anyone else not like tv screens being added to their pinball? We need some dots in the 2020s

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Does anyone else not like tv screens being added to their pinball? We need some dots in the 2020s

I love color DMD's compared to the old monochrome ones, but LCD visuals - particularly Jersey Jack game displays - are in a whole other league of their own.

#23 4 years ago

Saving the classics.

HT (resized).pngHT (resized).png
    #24 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

While playing I tune them right out, maybe I'm old but if you are not watching the ball..

RBG LED's get my vote, some of the light shows are astounding.

Some displays are ok, played The Hobbit and thought it was well done.

#25 4 years ago

Pinball Map has been the best for me. I have been to so many great places and played some fantastic games because of this.

#26 4 years ago

The P3 in general for so many reasons (take your pick):

1) Commoditized, modular boardset: Driver boards and switch boards placed near the switches, coils, etc. to reduce wiring, each exactly the same as another to aid in troubleshooting, repair, and replacement. This is huge and not something that anyone else is doing (aside from those using the P3-ROC, like API).
    2) Modular playfields: the back 1/3 is traditional wood and can be replaced easily to provide you with another game or games.
    3) Multiple game launcher: first commercial pinball that loads multiple games on the same playfield without changing DIP switches or connectors.
    4) LCD playfield: bottom 2/3 is LCD, allowing for dynamic information to be displayed at all times. Others have embedded screens as well, but Multimorphic has another trick up their sleeve --
    5) Dynamic ball tracking: using some clever opto tricks, the ball is sensed at all times on the LCD screen, which allows for dynamic targets and really cool interaction between the LCD elements and the physical elements of the pinball machine. It's really neat to see the slings fire when a bug flies into them, for example, squishing the bug.
    6) Service position: The playfield comes forward about 1/2 way towards the front of the cabinet and can stand completely on its end while you poke around to service. It's amazing.
    7) Other service enhancements - solarvalue showed the flipper and sling mechs - they just slide out and are disconnected with a single connector. Pretty big deal. Every mech can slide out, and flipping that back 1/3 wooden playfield around to adjust pop sensitivity is trivially easy compared to any other game.
    8 ) SDK for developing your own games: They are the first company to encourage homebrew or commercial development on their platform. This is really huge. I am developing a game, and I'm sure many others are as well. It's fast and easy to get started and is really straightforward. Uses an extremely popular game engine for the bulk of development with a ton of resources to get you up to speed. The pinball-specific stuff is very very similar to pyprocgame or skeletongame, if you have used either of those.

I'm sure there are dozens of other innovations I'm forgetting, but these are what come to mind for me right away.

#27 4 years ago

Best Innovation to Pinball of the Last Decade . . .

A 50% price increase to make the shareholders happy and to keep pinball profitable for Stern.

#28 4 years ago

Good responses!

My list was not meant to be exhaustive. Rather it was a simple beginning to start the conversation. I summarized a few below and will add to the main list.

PDI/Invisiglass/non-glare glass is a good one.
    Hardtops are super cool. I finally got a chance to play on one and its fantastic (Taxi at MOM's in College Park, MD btw)
    USB code updates are nice, I agree
    The P3 platform looks cool, I have yet to play one (feel free to invite me over friends )
    JJP in general tends to package up quite a few things which does a good job of moving the whole hobby/industry forward

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Best Innovation to Pinball of the Last Decade . . .
    A 50% price increase to make the shareholders happy and to keep pinball profitable for Stern.

Screenshot_20200102-101737~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200102-101737~2 (resized).png
    #30 4 years ago

Pingulp, LOL

hardtops are pretty darn cool

#31 4 years ago

Lots of good ones....Matchplay online is pretty kick ass.

#32 4 years ago

For me Color DMD, LCD screens, and Matchplay.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Believe hobbit /jjp used them first

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Crazy never noticed. They are so far away from the flippers to the outside it’s hard to rip them good.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

For me Color DMD, LCD screens, and Matchplay.

I agree...

#36 4 years ago

Yeah I don't cry aboot how cheap Stern is but add the goddamn optical spinners guys, so nice.

#37 4 years ago

Now its a poll!

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Capcom Kingpin comes to mind. 1996.

LTG : )

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Don't know if it's first. Capcom Kingpin 1996.

LTG : )

#40 4 years ago

Where's the I like pizza option? Fail.

#41 4 years ago

I gotta go with RGB lighting. I don't typically have much time to look at the display, RGB lighting and the associated lightshows have a bigger impact to gameplay imo.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Jersey Jack had several setbacks sure, they learned the hard way in many cases without a doubt but they blew up pinball single handed.
    What is totally SHOCKING to me is they introduced Wizard of Oz with this giant LCD screen, and Stern kept doing dot matrix for several machines thereafter. Then when they finally did switch to LCD the screen isn't even half the size. Huh?
    Jersey Jack gave us a WORLD under a glass we didn't know was possible. JJP introduced us not only to a massive LCD screen but CGI FX you would only expect from a Hollywood movie. They gave us radcal, apron art, a little flap that slides down when you lift up your game to hold the balls in (not sure why Stern didn't follow suit), camera's to take your picture, headphone jacks on every machine, playfields with rails so you can actually take it out of the cabinet and set it on the ground.
    Jersey Jack turned pinball into an art form, with tech no one ever imagined prior. Look at the operation menu still to this date NOT ONE SINGLE pinball company has one even close! Why?
    Jersey Jack took the deep dive to think outside the box, to go where no pinball has gone before!
    Nearly if not every single innovation from a pinball supplier came from Jersey Jack Pinball.
    If you want to hand out the award to the best pinball company of the decade: Jersey Jack Pinball would win hands down!
    With all that being said you know what was probably JJP biggest contribution???
    Prior to JJP there was only one company Stern. JJP showed and proved that a new company could start from scratch and realize a dream. Since JJP founded we've seen many many new pinball companies.
    Would Aliens or Big Lebowski ever happened if JJP didn't create Wizard of Oz? NEVER!
    JJP showed a blueprint for a pinball start up! I give Stern all the credit 110% of it for keeping Pinball alive when it appeared over, dead, finished, but JJP gets the award for blowing the perception of what a pinball is or could be wide open.
    Kudo's to JJP!

Is this how you don’t check Pinside?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-innovation-to-pinball-of-the-last-decade?hl=pinkopf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.