(Topic ID: 250952)

Best Hamburger Chain --- Take the Poll.........

By pindome

44 days ago

Topic Stats

• 375 posts
  • 151 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 days ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Best Hamburger Chain --- Take the Poll.........”

• In and Out 149 votes
    28%
  • Smash Burger 22 votes
    4%
  • White Castle 23 votes
    4%
  • Carls Jr. 10 votes
    2%
  • Five Guys 189 votes
    36%
  • Wendy's 35 votes
    7%
  • Fat Burger 13 votes
    2%
  • Steak and Shake 23 votes
    4%
  • Shake Shack 36 votes
    7%
  • McDonalds 24 votes
    5%
  • Hamburger Habit 7 votes
    1%

(531 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 85 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D28FCA61-6CB6-45B9-9C69-C98B69459676 (resized).png
04188-36 DIG Silo - PretzelBaconKing_500x540_CR.png
Screenshot_20190920-220032_Maps (resized).jpg
041116_monsterTB.grid-6x2 (resized).jpg
carls (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
goooooood-burger (resized).jpg
20190911_153857 (resized).jpg
download (4) (resized).jpg
5737258249_84b911f89d_b (resized).jpg
51445340-A413-4449-B4EA-F0AD75D0C5FE (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
f26ca81f80d379b0514fd4c820cac7d3 (resized).jpg
47206078594c49097d86580a4d846b51 (resized).jpg
ribwich (resized).png
Screenshot_20190909-194348 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 44 days ago

5 Guys good. In N Out kinda bland. Habit's good. Micky Ds new fresh meat 1/4 pounder very good. But the best is that Hawaiian burger joint.
Kahuna (resized).jpg

#26 44 days ago

I have a hard time with the Hoff burger at Carls Jr. lately because it's like they cooked the meat yesterday. But years ago they were great.

#28 44 days ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

I've had the Five Guys burger on 2 different occassions.

I had one yesterday with grilled onions, grilled jalapanos, grilled mushrooms, lettuce and tomato and it was great. Chocolate malt and their fries are 1000 times better than In N Out.

I've got four In N Outs around here and never go to any of them.

#30 44 days ago

We used to have a Teddy's burgers until recently which was an actual Hawaiian burger joint and it was absolutely the best. So good, you could order your burger rare and not have to worry about it. They are gone now though.

#33 44 days ago

I'd like to try all the burgers mentioned we don't have here. I always see out of towners saying they wish they had an In N Out, but when you live close to them they really aren't that special. Doesn't stop people from lining up to get them though. Mostly because they are cheap and fresh I guess. Or mostly because they are cheap.

I haven't done Fuddruckers in a while but they used to be really good too.

#37 44 days ago
s-l300 (resized).jpg
#41 44 days ago
Quoted from pindome:

Damn, poll did not load, but you have hit most of the 10 options I listed.
Poll reloaded

Your In and Out is losing out to 5 Guys as expected. I don't know if there is a Hamburger Habit, but we have one simply called
Unknown (resized).jpg

#44 44 days ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

No Fuddruckers? I'm a big fan of their 1lb burger w/bacon & cheese. One of these days they'll be hauling me out of there in a meat wagon.

I used to eat there all the time when I worked in El Toro. They had a CFTBL there as well. Closest one's by Knotts Berry Farm now, so I really don't get there. I'd love to have one nearby.

Quoted from jhanley:

Are you talkin about Rumbi Grills Kahuna Burger? They're excellent.

I was talking about Pulp Fiction. lol.

But Teddy's was the best damn Hawaiian burger joint I ever ate at.

#46 44 days ago

Closest one's in Arizona. And if I'm going that far it's Waffle House baby!

#48 43 days ago
Quoted from yancy:

only Five Guys has good burgers AND great fries.

And really great shakes. Not many places offer a malt option anymore. But 5 Guys sure does.

#52 43 days ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Five Guys is winning this poll? Really?

It's the winner here all things considered. Plus getting in and out of our closest In-N-Out is a super big hassle. I don't even bother with the three others within a few miles that do have a drive thru.

He didn't even include that lessor burger joint in the poll.

In and Out must be one of those back east burger joints that I would like to try some day.
o (resized).jpg

#54 43 days ago

I want a fresh burger the way I want it. With as many of the ingredients I like put on it. I want to sit on the patio if I want. And eat peanuts out of the shell if I like. I want fries with real flavor.
1 (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2019-09-06 at 11.18.57 PM (resized).png2 (resized).jpg

#55 43 days ago

In and Out is gaining in the poll, but I've still never heard of that place. California is kind of an island in that regard.

I have heard of White Castle though. We only get them frozen.

#57 43 days ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Give me Habit Burger anytime. That's definitely a California chain. I had a really good Super Duper a while back, though, so I could be persuaded. Never got into In and Out

Dude, it's almost a tossup between Habit and 5 Guys for me as they are both only a few blocks away. I'll go to either way before I'd even consider In-N-Out. Depends on what I'm in the mood for.

Both have great burgers, shakes, and fries. 5 guys wins out with the peanuts, a slight edge in the shakes, and I really like all the grilled doodads on my burger.

Habit is a little cheaper and has an avocado option, and onion rings to die for. And is closer to the college, so the scenery is always great.

Habit is always 10 times busier than 5 guys so that must say something.

I know I have way over posted in this thread but I'm enthused! So I'll just leave this here for posterity's sake.
5107960057_0945773a91_b (resized).jpg

#59 43 days ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Johnny Rockets has best burgers and fries. And milkshakes.

See what all that smoking dope has done to me? I forgot all about Johnny Rockets.

But the closest one is a drive. And in an amusement park none the less.

#61 43 days ago

Johnny Rockets brings the can with the shake, boy does that take me back.

Cocos used to do that with the best burger ever, The Lumberjack. Hasn't been the same since they renamed it The Cattleman.

l (resized).jpg
#63 43 days ago

And I keep hearing Smashburger. That must be one state of the art burger.

Wanna get sloppy? Let's go to Tommy's.

420425_onEOxokaOL8r1vQMSs3AcewhJuE-t6OgUTX_UbXLPkE (resized).jpg
#64 43 days ago

Disclaimer- I have made most of my burger choices here including regards to how far I have to go to get them.
Five Guys is a hop skip and a jump that any derelict could pull off.

#66 43 days ago

I'm still with ya. barely.

#67 43 days ago

Why don't you guys put In and Out over the top just to humor me.

#74 43 days ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

Most of those places on the poll don’t exist around the greater Boston area.

Nor the island I've been living on.

#121 43 days ago
Quoted from adol75:

How White Castle doesn’t win this poll is beyond my comprehension.

We only get the frozen ones so I aint votin' for them.

Quoted from Darcy:

My Doctor doesn't agree with me that a hamburger with lots of toppings qualifies as a food group.

I don't need no doctor.

#124 43 days ago

Closest Tommy's is up Fullerton road near the 60 Freeway.

Nimblepin and myself would stop there on the way back from Don's in Beverly Hills, rest his soul, with a truck full of pinballs in the middle of the night and bring a chill cheese burger to Bob who would be waiting patiently in my garage.

If that place was closer, I would probably be fat.

#127 43 days ago
Quoted from kevmad:

Yes Teddy’s is awesome!

Their pay by the ingredient was a bit pricy, but I could barely handle a single patty, let alone a triple.

Only fast food left that would cook your burger to your preferred level of doneness. You want nearly raw? You got it!

#132 43 days ago

Fatburger was good, we just don't have one by here anymore.

If we are going to drive where Fatburger is we go to Portillos instead.

#134 43 days ago
Unknown (resized).jpg
#135 43 days ago
Unknown (resized).jpg
#141 43 days ago

You're hired!

#142 43 days ago

Back to Johnny Rockets. There are only a few locations I know of or have been to and all in amusement parks. There are at least a couple in Magic Mountain, and one in Knott's Berry Farm. They bring that old time malt shop diner back to life.

Old pic as that ride is long gone.

KnottsBerryFarm58 (resized).jpg
#155 43 days ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Their location list shows public locations in Brea, Orange and Santa Ana.

Thanks. I rarely go to those towns, but they are close by.

Ruby's diner has a similar vibe, but the one by us went away.

o (resized).jpg
#163 43 days ago

The only problem with 5 guys is they build their burgers upside down.

Lettuce and tomato belong under the meat, knuckleheads.

#166 43 days ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

How the hell is McDonald's ahead of Carls Jr aka Hardee's?!

Because MickyDs makes it's quarter pounder with fresh beef cooked fresh when you order it.

Carls Jr. uses a dry jerky burger patty that might have been cooked hours before. At one time Carls used fresh beef, but not since the 70s.

#169 42 days ago

At Pup N Taco we deep fried our burger patties, and the chili cheeseburger was really good. We made our chili in house from scratch.

Fries are the infamous but now extinct Frispos that Carls Jr. used to have till sometime in the 80s. Potato pellets mixed with water and then squeezed through a clear cylinder and then the cutter. Golden brown and crispy on the outside, and near a firm mashed potato texture on the inside. Very good.

And say hello to the new version of the classic Naugles Ortega Burger.
pnt (resized).jpgo (resized).jpg

For more about Pup N Taco, feel free to browse this site where o-din started his blogging career. It's only been here and there folks.

http://www.octhen.com/2010/02/remembering-pup-n-taco.html

#174 42 days ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I used to like Jack in the Box burgers

I ate two of their tacos today and they really hit the spot.

#187 42 days ago
Unknown (resized).jpg
#193 42 days ago

Polly's Pie Palace

489ddc9f6a2410e08b89dd59bf840014 (resized).jpg
#217 42 days ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Polly’s Pies is a bakery restaurant that makes great burgers. Their primary business is making pies inside a restaurant. It was a popular business model in Southern California and their competitors were Marie Callender’s, Hof’s Hut and a few small mom and pops.
Growing up they didn’t have fries, but served really great baked beans instead.

The Pollys near us opened in the late 60s and I can't remember them never not having fries as I thought they were part of their Sunday dinner special that included a burger and a piece of pie for $1. But the beans are excellent. They had a player piano and a bunch of scrolls that we could work ourselves. They provided the dimes.

It's still there in the same location, busy as ever.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Was that the Ruby’s at the end of the HB pier?

Balboa Pier.

#219 42 days ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I had some Jack in the Box tacos on pin picking trip a couple of weeks ago. I hadn’t had these in at least 12 years. They were really good.

I went and got two more. And $2 onion rings too.

#229 42 days ago

I believe there used to be one in Fullerton (maybe O-Din can confirm this one

On Orangethorpe across from Monkey Wards near Harbor. A+W on tap was great.

There was a Goony miniature golf and a Giant Slide as well as The Anaheim Drive In that same area so it must have been some kind of entertainment hub of the town before I came along. The slide was closed and the golf was super run down even when I was a kid. The drive in became defunct later like all the rest of them.

Our H. Salt went away when the landlord jacked his rent about 15 years ago. I remember when it opened that glass heater case was always full. Gotta use the malt vinegar though. No Long John Silvers in sight.

#232 42 days ago

Wienerschnitzel had a decent gut bomb chili cheeseburger but they recently changed the meat patty, and it's not so good anymore. If it works, why fix it?

#233 42 days ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

When they RUINED the Jumbo Jack.

Jumbo Jack tiny now. It used to be much bigger.

Unknown (resized).jpg
#234 42 days ago

Does anybody in the Ohio area remember the Hamburger Giant statue? I think it was in or near Toledo when we were there in the early 70s.

#236 42 days ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Just finished reading best burger in Boston, and it concluded with none of the chains making the list. Proving you need quality beef to make a great burger - and none of the chains start with what it takes.

I just searched OC and Habit is the only one in the poll that makes the list at #16.

#5 on the list is looking pretty good though.

l (resized).jpg
#286 40 days ago
47206078594c49097d86580a4d846b51 (resized).jpg
#287 40 days ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I hear Portillo's has a pretty good burger also. I've never had one though because I can't go there and not order the Italian beef.

Everytime I go to Portillos, I tell myself I'm going to try the burger. Just can't do that though when they sell the best hot dogs around.

#290 40 days ago

Gotta love this shot. I worked there at this very location. Food was way better back then and I could custom make myself a triple star. It's now a 7/11.

To the right is one of the very first KFCs in the area with the spinning bucket and all. We used to trade the workers food on the night shift.
f26ca81f80d379b0514fd4c820cac7d3 (resized).jpg

#291 40 days ago

Remember when they used to keep track?

download (resized).jpg
#294 40 days ago

McDonalds was great when they used to cook all their burgers fresh, instead of just cramming all the cooked patties in a drawer to be used later. And before they changed whatever oil they were cooking their fries in.

They have made a slight comeback with the fresh beef quarter pounder, but the fries will never be the same.

#296 40 days ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

When was that? I worked there for a summer in high school probably 1990. We would cook 12 at a time, wrap the up and put them in the big warmer behind the crashers

70s maybe into the 80s. You could always see the grill going. Finished burgers were then wrapped and slid down metal tracks where the cashier could grab them.

If you were in doubt about the freshness, just order it special like with no pickles, and they would always pull you a hot, juicy patty right off the grill. With the patties in a drawer now, you still get a stale one no matter how you order it.

Unless you go quarter pounder of course. Those are really juicy and good now.

It was the same way at Carls Jr. We never threw a patty into the charbroiler until it was ordered. Now you can tell they were cooked long before.

#298 40 days ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

The nuggets out of the fryer where outsounding.

I liked the old nuggets better. I ate enough of the newer ones when my kid would order them. They come out of a drawer now too.

#300 40 days ago

Hard to believe freeze dried Frispos pellets were so darn good. I took them over the real deal back then.

#302 40 days ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Glad someone else dislikes the fries, now.

Yeah, but I talked myself into getting a quarter pounder on the way home, and a filet o fish for a buck and got the fries anyway. Filet O Fish is still hanging tough.

#304 40 days ago

Now the sign should say "Over 1 Billion Thrown Away".

#315 39 days ago

I don't think I've seen Sonic mentioned here. How are the burgers?

Not bad, but I get the foot long chili cheese coney with tator tots and a chocolate shake and call it a day.

#316 39 days ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I went on a deep search to find machine and bags of pellets last year. You can find the spuds , just no machine to work with.
Those fries were the best fried mash potato fries ever! , and the ketchup cups were revolutionary for dipping.

https://www.yelp.com/topic/san-francisco-why-carls-jrs-no-longer-have-the-crinkle-fries-or-frispos

I've looked too. Not much out there. You would have to find an old picture of the fry station inside a Carls Jr. or Pup N Taco.

I worked at both and the machine was a real work of genius and fun to watch. You pour the pellets in the top, push the button, and the machine does the rest all visible through a clear cylinder. When I cleaned it at the end of the night it was like leftover cookie dough.
5737258249_84b911f89d_b (resized).jpg

#318 39 days ago

I also miss Carl's Roast beef sandwich of that era early 80's..So good, had a ortega chili on it and swiss, yummy.

That was real good but it went in a microwave and sometimes wrecked havoc on the bun. But I ate them. Steak sandwich made with flaked and formed beef too.

When I would come home from a long day at the beach and start my shift, I would take three big patties and frisbee them halfway into the charbroiler so they came out juicy and rare and put three slices of swiss cheese on it. I would also leave an order of onion rings in the fryer twice as long as they were supposed to be so they were super extra crispy and have a serious munch. It was all half price for employees so there was no incentive to steal anything.

#322 39 days ago
Quoted from RWH:

BK burgers suuucckkk

I am pleased to say at least The Whopper is still the same size, unlike the Jumbo Jack.

#324 39 days ago

Another member of the now defunct club.

download (4) (resized).jpg
#329 39 days ago

That's why I was Happy I got fired from Carl's.

I got let go from Carls because I was only 14 and you had to be 16 with a work permit. Somehow I had got around that for a while because my brother was an assistant manager till they caught on. Anything to make a buck back then.

Still have an old milk crate, holds my empty beer bottles.

I just dug out a 70s vintage Carls Jr tray been hiding at my moms house for the last 40+ years.

#332 39 days ago

Waffle House!

goooooood-burger (resized).jpg
#339 38 days ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Aren't the closest ones to you in Phoenix? Road Trip!

This is true.

If I want a burger meal with more calories than I can possibly burn in a day, it's the Black Bear Diner, and I don't have to go very far.

download (resized).jpg
#343 37 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

I got let go from Carls because I was only 14 and you had to be 16 with a work permit.

Somehow that didn't seem to matter to the establishment across the street. The way I felt was "Boy I'm moving up in the world now!"

carls (resized).jpg
#352 36 days ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

5 guys fries are mushy and have some funky flavor to them. I just want salt on my fries not some weird flavored salt like they it on theirs.

Just get the regular fries, not the Cajun.

Between the peanuts, the burger, and the shake, I don't even order fries anymore. As good as they are.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sale Pending!
Milwaukee, WI
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 72.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 100.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pin Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside