(Topic ID: 250952)

Best Hamburger Chain --- Take the Poll.........

By pindome

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 405 posts
  • 165 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Envy-Me
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best Hamburger Chain --- Take the Poll.........”

• In and Out 178 votes
      29%
    • Smash Burger 26 votes
      4%
    • White Castle 27 votes
      4%
    • Carls Jr. 11 votes
      2%
    • Five Guys 217 votes
      35%
    • Wendy's 43 votes
      7%
    • Fat Burger 15 votes
      2%
    • Steak and Shake 27 votes
      4%
    • Shake Shack 46 votes
      7%
    • McDonalds 25 votes
      4%
    • Hamburger Habit 7 votes
      1%

(622 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Wendy (resized).jpeg
    2EDF5BF1-707F-4378-A563-9542D01149C6 (resized).jpeg
    029F8924-F119-48F8-B4A4-0D9D89B612ED (resized).jpeg
    06F892C6-3741-4EE5-B0C9-3543EA8D7A39 (resized).jpeg
    B1793FE2-A734-4CF8-93E7-36BE7D06F717 (resized).jpeg
    shake shack (resized).png
    3D656E92-8282-4693-B7B3-45AB8B445C6B (resized).jpeg
    D28FCA61-6CB6-45B9-9C69-C98B69459676 (resized).png
    04188-36 DIG Silo - PretzelBaconKing_500x540_CR.png
    Screenshot_20190920-220032_Maps (resized).jpg
    041116_monsterTB.grid-6x2 (resized).jpg
    carls (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    goooooood-burger (resized).jpg
    20190911_153857 (resized).jpg
    download (4) (resized).jpg
    There are 405 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.
    #301 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

McDonalds was great when they used to cook all their burgers fresh, instead of just cramming all the cooked patties in a drawer to be used later. And before they changed whatever oil they were cooking their fries in.
    They have made a slight comeback with the fresh beef quarter pounder, but the fries will never be the same.

Glad someone else dislikes the fries, now.

#302 4 years ago
    Quoted from waldo34:

Glad someone else dislikes the fries, now.

Yeah, but I talked myself into getting a quarter pounder on the way home, and a filet o fish for a buck and got the fries anyway. Filet O Fish is still hanging tough.

#303 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Remember when they used to keep track?[quoted image]

Yes

#304 4 years ago

Now the sign should say "Over 1 Billion Thrown Away".

#305 4 years ago
    Quoted from Calfdemon:

I'm not a huge fan of 5 guys either because I have the choice of both that and In N Out. Not saying 5 Guys is bad, but when I can go to either, I will choose In N Out each time. If I had no access to In N Out, then I would probably love 5 Guys a lot more. But they just don't compare.
    And aside from the "double toasted" tip for In N Out, one thing I did not know until my Stepdaughter worked there for a while, is that In N Out will put chopped chilis on your burger if you ask. It takes the Double Double to a whole new level. My go to order is a Double Double, animal style, with chilis. And I wash it down with a lemon-up!</blockquoteis

I thought I knew the In and Out secret menu pretty well. Did not know about the chili option. Next time Double Double, Grilled Onions, and Chilis.

Anyone else with any good In and Out off the menu options?

Could not agree more with your Five Guys vs In and Out comparison --- Nailed It!

#306 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Ate at a Freddy's Steak Burgers today and it was pretty good. I'll have to eat there a couple more times and get a good burger before I steer people their way.

This is the type of in-depth research we need brought to the Top 100 rankings!

It's a tough job doing the burger research, happy to see we have so many willing to sacrifice so much in the name of fair and balanced burger ratings.

#307 4 years ago
    Quoted from pindome:

This is the type of in-depth research we need brought to the Top 100 rankings!
    It's a tough job doing the burger research, happy to see we have so many willing to sacrifice so much in the name of fair and balanced burger ratings.

I think I will do some research tomorrow ,
    We got
    Whataburger
    Five guys
    In n out
    Culver's
    Zin Burger
    And all the chains

#308 4 years ago
    51445340-A413-4449-B4EA-F0AD75D0C5FE (resized).jpeg51445340-A413-4449-B4EA-F0AD75D0C5FE (resized).jpeg
    #309 4 years ago

Is he listening to the ocean sounds coming from those burgers? lol

#310 4 years ago

You are missing Whataburger. hands down one of the best.

#311 4 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

I used to do that as well when I worked there. And we traded food with the Pizza Hut night crew across the street.
    I really miss the old Carls Jr fries made from Frispos...

Quoted from o-din:

Hard to believe freeze dried Frispos pellets were so darn good. I took them over the real deal back then.

I went on a deep search to find machine and bags of pellets last year. You can find the spuds , just no machine to work with.
    Those fries were the best fried mash potato fries ever! , and the ketchup cups were revolutionary for dipping.

#312 4 years ago

I'll be honest, I'd rather have a good "grilled" burger than I would a steak. I get a lot of guff for that from friends and family at cookouts lol. They look at me like I've totally wronged them or something when I say, just having a burger when most others besides the kids are doing the steak thing.

#313 4 years ago

Serious question: I don't think I've seen Sonic mentioned here. How are the burgers?
    The nearest one to me is at least a dozen miles away. I've literally seen more of them outside of California than in California. If I go by one is it worth popping in and trying their food?

#314 4 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Serious question: I don't think I've seen Sonic mentioned here. How are the burgers?
    The nearest one to me is at least a dozen miles away. I've literally seen more of them outside of California than in California. If I go by one is it worth popping in and trying their food?

I'd rate Sonic better than McDonalds or BK but there are far better options mentioned in this thread. The Sonic near me went out of business a couple years' ago because of lack of business.

#315 4 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I don't think I've seen Sonic mentioned here. How are the burgers?

Not bad, but I get the foot long chili cheese coney with tator tots and a chocolate shake and call it a day.

#316 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I went on a deep search to find machine and bags of pellets last year. You can find the spuds , just no machine to work with.
    Those fries were the best fried mash potato fries ever! , and the ketchup cups were revolutionary for dipping.

https://www.yelp.com/topic/san-francisco-why-carls-jrs-no-longer-have-the-crinkle-fries-or-frispos

I've looked too. Not much out there. You would have to find an old picture of the fry station inside a Carls Jr. or Pup N Taco.

I worked at both and the machine was a real work of genius and fun to watch. You pour the pellets in the top, push the button, and the machine does the rest all visible through a clear cylinder. When I cleaned it at the end of the night it was like leftover cookie dough.
    5737258249_84b911f89d_b (resized).jpg5737258249_84b911f89d_b (resized).jpg

#317 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You pour the pellets in the top, push the button, and the machine does the rest all visible through a clear cylinder.

Yup....then a metal plate would then push the mash potato fries right down into the fryer. That's how I remember it. Carl's Jr. 6th and Maple off the 91 was my first job when I was 16. The gas next door at Arco was .59 c a gallon.
    I also miss Carl's Roast beef sandwich of that era early 80's..So good, had a ortega chili on it and swiss, yummy.

#318 4 years ago

I also miss Carl's Roast beef sandwich of that era early 80's..So good, had a ortega chili on it and swiss, yummy.

That was real good but it went in a microwave and sometimes wrecked havoc on the bun. But I ate them. Steak sandwich made with flaked and formed beef too.

When I would come home from a long day at the beach and start my shift, I would take three big patties and frisbee them halfway into the charbroiler so they came out juicy and rare and put three slices of swiss cheese on it. I would also leave an order of onion rings in the fryer twice as long as they were supposed to be so they were super extra crispy and have a serious munch. It was all half price for employees so there was no incentive to steal anything.

#319 4 years ago

They were Hardy's here and they used to have a decent fish sandwich I think called The Whaler.

#320 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

They were Hardy's here and they used to have a decent fish sandwich I think called The Whaler.

The Whaler was Burger King

#321 4 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

The Whaler was Burger King

Well it was decent but, BK burgers suuucckkk!

#322 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

BK burgers suuucckkk

I am pleased to say at least The Whopper is still the same size, unlike the Jumbo Jack.

#323 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That was real good but it went in a microwave and sometimes wrecked havoc on the bun. But I ate them. Steak sandwich made with flaked and formed beef too.
    When I would come home from a long day at the beach and start my shift, I would take three big patties and frisbee them halfway into the charbroiler so they came out juicy and rare and put three slices of swiss cheese on it. I would also leave an order of onion rings in the fryer twice as long as they were supposed to be so they were super extra crispy and have a serious munch. It was all half price for employees so there was no incentive to steal anything.

Thats right, the Steak sandwich was that long bun 2 oinions rings and a tomato. Miss the old Carls, and the old time star.
    Full discloser- I got fired from that Carls after 3 months....I got caught to many times eating the onion rings. I still remember that last time manager caught me, the onion ring was half way in my mouth. Lol, still makes me smile. She did me a favor, i went and became a box boy at Alpha Beta, my first well paying Union job.

#324 4 years ago

Another member of the now defunct club.

download (4) (resized).jpgdownload (4) (resized).jpg
    #325 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Another member of the now defunct club.[quoted image]

Alpha Beta paid well because it was a union job. Once you made journeyman which I think was after 3 years, your pay bumped up to over $9 hour. This was back in the late 80s.
    Edit: That was boxboy pay. If you got promoted to checker it was something like $13 or $15 an hour.

#326 4 years ago

I got fired from Carl's and became a box boy at Alpha Beta.

I didn't know fraternities employed box boys. What college was that chapter of Alpha Beta at?

#327 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Alpha Beta paid well because it was a union job. Once you made journeyman which I think was after 3 years, your pay bumped up to over $9 hour. This was back in the late 80s.
    Edit: That was boxboy pay. If you got promoted to checker it was something like $13 or $15 an hour.

That's why I was Happy I got fired from Carl's. You actually went to a class to learn bagging. There was an art to it in the old days with the paper bags. I watch helpers at registers bag my groceries today and I cringe, no one ever tought them the right way to do it. I have told some to stop and ill do it.
    Still have an old milk crate, holds my empty beer bottles.

20190911_153857 (resized).jpg20190911_153857 (resized).jpg
    #328 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I'll be honest, I'd rather have a good "grilled" burger than I would a steak. I get a lot of guff for that from friends and family at cookouts lol. They look at me like I've totally wronged them or something when I say, just having a burger when most others besides the kids are doing the steak thing.

If I were on death row, my last meal would be a burger.

#329 4 years ago

That's why I was Happy I got fired from Carl's.

I got let go from Carls because I was only 14 and you had to be 16 with a work permit. Somehow I had got around that for a while because my brother was an assistant manager till they caught on. Anything to make a buck back then.

Still have an old milk crate, holds my empty beer bottles.

I just dug out a 70s vintage Carls Jr tray been hiding at my moms house for the last 40+ years.

#330 4 years ago

I’ve tried all of those listed on the poll except In and Out, and Freddy’s is better. It’s like Steak and Shake on steroids. The fries and desserts are great too.

#331 4 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Love BurgerFi. Only ones I know of are in Winter Park and Lake Mary.

There’s one in Gainesville. I really like them.

#332 4 years ago

Waffle House!

goooooood-burger (resized).jpggoooooood-burger (resized).jpg
    #333 4 years ago

I watch helpers at registers bag my groceries today and I cringe, no one ever tought them the right way to do it. I have told some to stop and ill do it.
    [quoted image]

Me too. I just tell them I will bag it. When they do, it’s like they don’t even take stock of all the items you purchased. They start dropping them in the bag randomly until they get to the six pack of beer and look confused. Usually they just leave it out of the bag because they’re too lazy to repack it properly. If there are two bags worth of groceries, you can bet one bag will be light as air and the other bag will weigh 50 pounds. Not to mention they are slow AF.

#334 4 years ago

What about Red Robin?

#335 4 years ago

IN N OUT. 5 Guys always makes me shit my pants.

#336 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Waffle House![quoted image]

Aren't the closest ones to you in Phoenix? Road Trip!

#337 4 years ago

Does Burger King still have that breakfast sandwich with like 5 hash browns, 8 sausages and 17 eggs on a hoagie roll?

#338 4 years ago

>no Whataburger on the poll

epic fail

#339 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Aren't the closest ones to you in Phoenix? Road Trip!

This is true.

If I want a burger meal with more calories than I can possibly burn in a day, it's the Black Bear Diner, and I don't have to go very far.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #340 4 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

Does Burger King still have that breakfast sandwich with like 5 hash browns, 8 sausages and 17 eggs on a hoagie roll?

You mean The Godzilla????

#341 4 years ago

Fuddruckers .

#342 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

You mean The Godzilla????

I found this https://www.bk.com/menu-item/egg-normous-burrito

I wonder if it's that big IRL

#343 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I got let go from Carls because I was only 14 and you had to be 16 with a work permit.

Somehow that didn't seem to matter to the establishment across the street. The way I felt was "Boy I'm moving up in the world now!"

carls (resized).jpgcarls (resized).jpg
    #344 4 years ago

Also in the Midwest, Culvers. There used to be a little drive in near my high school that had one of those fry machines. I was told they had similar on Navy ships years ago. not sure if its true or not, just something I was told.
    I'm of the opinion that most of these are good in their own way. There are times I just really crave a Whopper. other times I would kill for a Whataburger. I like 5 guys sometimes as well.

#345 4 years ago

If you're in Atlanta, make sure to grab a burger at local legend The Varsity.

Seriously though, i would never recommend that to anyone. A couple of really great local burger chains are Grindhouse Killer Burgers and Yeah! Burger.

Used to be able to find the occasional Fatburger or Fuddruckers around which were both pretty good, but haven't seen any in awhile. Don't particularly care for any of the national chains we have now.

#346 4 years ago

I'm obviously in the minority, but I've never understood the fascination with Five Guys. In my opinion, it's the most overrated restaurant chain in America. Not only are their burgers average at best, but they are also way overpriced.

#347 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

This obviously won't be a popular opinion, but I've never understood the fascination with Five Guys. In my opinion, it's the most overrated restaurant chain in America. Not only are their burgers average at best, but they are also way overpriced.

I feel that way about Red Robin. At least the fries are good at Red Robin.

What I like about Five Guys is I can build a burger with whatever toppings I want. And their fries are great and they always give you a shitload. I have no complaints about the meat they use in their burgers.

#348 4 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

What I like about Five Guys is I can build a burger with whatever toppings I want. And their fries are great and they always give you a shitload.

They have tasty fries. I'll give them that. I also like the peanuts.

#349 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

They have tasty fries. I'll give them that. I also like the peanuts.

I won’t give them that. I like crisp fries. 5 guys fries are mushy and have some funky flavor to them. I just want salt on my fries not some weird flavored salt like they it on theirs. The few times I’ve eaten 5 guys I always felt bleh afterwards and for the next few hours.

There are 405 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-hamburger-chain-take-the-poll/page/7?hl=golfkill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.