(Topic ID: 250952)

Best Hamburger Chain --- Take the Poll.........

By pindome

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 405 posts
  • 165 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Envy-Me
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best Hamburger Chain --- Take the Poll.........”

• In and Out 178 votes
      29%
    • Smash Burger 26 votes
      4%
    • White Castle 27 votes
      4%
    • Carls Jr. 11 votes
      2%
    • Five Guys 217 votes
      35%
    • Wendy's 43 votes
      7%
    • Fat Burger 15 votes
      2%
    • Steak and Shake 27 votes
      4%
    • Shake Shack 46 votes
      7%
    • McDonalds 25 votes
      4%
    • Hamburger Habit 7 votes
      1%

(622 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Wendy (resized).jpeg
    2EDF5BF1-707F-4378-A563-9542D01149C6 (resized).jpeg
    029F8924-F119-48F8-B4A4-0D9D89B612ED (resized).jpeg
    06F892C6-3741-4EE5-B0C9-3543EA8D7A39 (resized).jpeg
    B1793FE2-A734-4CF8-93E7-36BE7D06F717 (resized).jpeg
    shake shack (resized).png
    3D656E92-8282-4693-B7B3-45AB8B445C6B (resized).jpeg
    D28FCA61-6CB6-45B9-9C69-C98B69459676 (resized).png
    04188-36 DIG Silo - PretzelBaconKing_500x540_CR.png
    Screenshot_20190920-220032_Maps (resized).jpg
    041116_monsterTB.grid-6x2 (resized).jpg
    carls (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    goooooood-burger (resized).jpg
    20190911_153857 (resized).jpg
    download (4) (resized).jpg
    There are 405 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.
    #251 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I really dont get the Five guys hype, I tried a bunch of times and I still dont get whats so special about their burgers (or fries). All I remember is leaving the place with a ton of peanuts’ dust on my shoes

You're welcome!

#252 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

Not a chain, but when I want a classic American burger I go to Al's French fry!

Where's the Fonz????????

#253 4 years ago

Not on the list and is a big chain, Burger_Fi

#254 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

Not on the list and is a big chain, Burger_Fi

Never heard of that until I read your post. Just did a quick google search and Damn that looks tasty!

#255 4 years ago

The wife and I would stop by this little dive bar Rays after work.
    2 cheeseburgers, back bacon, a Frank cut in two, onion rings and a fried egg on top. Was like 8 inches tall and needed a steak knife thru it to stand up. Now that was a burger.

#256 4 years ago

There's something about opening a box of frozen White Castle burgers from the grocery store and enjoying them with some hickory BBQ sauce (now if we had White Castle restaurants nearby, I'd go.... but frozen is the best I can do). Burger King burgers are really not bad either...odd that they weren't on the poll

#257 4 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

There's something about opening a box of frozen White Castle burgers from the grocery store and enjoying them with some hickory BBQ sauce (now if we had White Castle restaurants nearby, I'd go.... but frozen is the best I can do). Burger King burgers are really not bad either...odd that they weren't on the poll

allieoops-just-thinking-about-those-tender-little-white-castle-burgers-51976539 (resized).pngallieoops-just-thinking-about-those-tender-little-white-castle-burgers-51976539 (resized).png
    #258 4 years ago

I feel like the best burger value is Culvers, but the overall best burger is from Shake Shack.

#259 4 years ago

The only ones from your list that are local are McDonald's, Wendy's and Five Guys. I went with Five Guys.

I seldom eat at any of these places anyway.

#260 4 years ago

What's a burger thread without pictures?

I'll eat at just about any burger joint given the opportunity. From major chains to the local Mom-and-Pop. I've eaten from all of the places listed below and many more.

I already voted In-N-Out as my favorite as I based it solely on the burger quality and value. Not their fries (which I actually don't like), not the shakes, just the burger.
    o (resized).jpgo (resized).jpg

Tried 5 Guys when they built one in our area. Good, but pricey.
    five guys (resized).jpgfive guys (resized).jpg

Didn't care for Shake Shack. Burger was unimpressive and the bun was greasy.
    Shake Shack (resized).jpgShake Shack (resized).jpg

Freddys was decent but the burger was unremarkable. The frozen custards are the draw here.
    Freddys (resized).pngFreddys (resized).png

Whataburger - when I was recently in TX I had to try them as they are EVERYWHERE (see Houston area below). Good burger for what it is.
    Whataburger (resized).jpgWhataburger (resized).jpg
    Whataburger Houston (resized).jpgWhataburger Houston (resized).jpg

White Castle - actually ate AT a WC location many years ago, not the frozen ones, and personally didn't care for them
    White Castle (resized).jpgWhite Castle (resized).jpg

Smashburger - too salty
    Smashburger (resized).jpgSmashburger (resized).jpg

Umami (local chain) - pricey, but a good gourmet burger
    manly-burger (resized).jpgmanly-burger (resized).jpg

Fatburger - a solid contender
    Fatburger (resized).jpgFatburger (resized).jpg

Habit - easily right behind, if not even with, In-N-Out for me
    Habit (resized).jpgHabit (resized).jpg

Hopdoddy - just had a Buffalo Bill from there recently and was blown away at how good it was. Seem to be more of them in TX
    Buffalo Bill (resized).jpgBuffalo Bill (resized).jpg

Carls Jr - worked there in my youth and still think the Famous/Super Star is one of the best American-style burgers
    SuperStar-with-Cheese (resized).jpgSuperStar-with-Cheese (resized).jpg

McD - hey, I still like getting a Big Mac or double/triple cheeseburger every now and then
    Big Mac (resized).jpgBig Mac (resized).jpg

Jack in The Box - burgers are passable, Ultimate Cheeseburger is my fave there
    Ultimate (resized).jpgUltimate (resized).jpg

Wendys - not a fan
    Wendys (resized).jpgWendys (resized).jpg

#261 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

[quoted image]

The frozen onions at Krystal cause exploding from somewhere other then your mouth.

#262 4 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

Wendys - not a fan

The only thing I ever get from Wendy's is the spicy chicken sandwich.

#263 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Red Robin has the best burgers around here.[quoted image]

You've obviously never been to the Jackson House.

#264 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Every restaurant you frequent spits in your food.

How would I go aboot sueing them?

#265 4 years ago

I'm not a huge fan of 5 guys either because I have the choice of both that and In N Out. Not saying 5 Guys is bad, but when I can go to either, I will choose In N Out each time. If I had no access to In N Out, then I would probably love 5 Guys a lot more. But they just don't compare.

And aside from the "double toasted" tip for In N Out, one thing I did not know until my Stepdaughter worked there for a while, is that In N Out will put chopped chilis on your burger if you ask. It takes the Double Double to a whole new level. My go to order is a Double Double, animal style, with chilis. And I wash it down with a lemon-up!

#266 4 years ago

Ate at a Freddy's Steak Burgers today and it was pretty good. I'll have to eat there a couple more times and get a good burger before I steer people their way.

#267 4 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

The only thing I ever get from Wendy's is the spicy chicken sandwich.

Sour cream and chives baked potato, a large chili. Mash up potato, put chili on that thing, then the sour cream.

Quoted from Calfdemon:

In N Out will put chopped chilis on your burger if you ask.

Really? That's pretty funny since they literally have no other use for them than if someone asks for them specifically.... o_O

#268 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Ate at a Freddy's Steak Burgers today and it was pretty good. I'll have to eat there a couple more times and get a good burger before I steer people their way.

was wondering about Freddy's. they are starting to pop up around me.

#269 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

was wondering about Freddy's. they are starting to pop up around me.

My daughter lives in Ca now and likes Freddy's. She misses Culver's here in Wi, but says it's pretty comparable. We went out to visit her earlier this year and would have to agree. Pretty similar but would still give the edge to Culvers.

We also ate at In and Out and thought it was ok. I had it once before and it seemed better the first time.

#270 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Why is that even any of your concern?

Good point.

I guess I somewhat envy you guys. My wife and kids are always busting my chops with respect to my diet.

#271 4 years ago

I'm a huge fan of White Castle. (Seriously, I really need to lose some weight) I recently went to the doctor's office and he told me since I am now in my late 40's, it would be necessary to have a barium enema so that they may inspect my colon for polyps in a forthcoming x-ray. I told him no worries and to save the barium as I would simply stop at my local White Castle on the way home and order the 'Crave Case'. Eating all of these over a 24 hr. period should easily do the trick.

crave_case_lg1 (resized).jpgcrave_case_lg1 (resized).jpg
    #272 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Good point.
    I guess I somewhat envy you guys. My wife and kids are always busting my chops with respect to my diet.

I mean....maybe take that as a sign instead of a curse? My entire extended family pretty much has had a heart attack. You think I'm very careful about what I eat? Not at all, but I'm a nihilist.

#273 4 years ago
    Quoted from KrustyBurger:

I'm a huge fan of White Castle. (Seriously, I really need to lose some weight) I recently went to the doctor's office and he told me since I am now in my late 40's, it would be necessary to have a barium enema so that they may inspect my colon for polyps in a forthcoming x-ray. I told him no worries and to save the barium as I would simply stop at my local White Castle on the way home and order the 'Crave Case'. Eating all of these over a 24 hr. period should easily do the trick. [quoted image]

I was at the White Castle in Bloomington, MN not far from the airport and the guy in front of me ordered 3 crave cases to go so that he could bring them back to California on the plane. I've also heard that they offer wedding packages for people to get married there that come with fancy table clothes and silverware. I used to love going there in college after the bars. I don't really think of them as burgers but they are really addictive! My favorite are the jalopeno cheeseburgers with fried onions.

We don't have any White Castles near me in WI but I live 10 miles from the Culver's World headquarters and eat there all the time. We also have 5 Guys and Mooyahs by where I work which are good as well but Culver's just has better variety. I can get my cheese curds and frozen Custard for desert. More choices for the kids too.

When we do the poll for best fast food chicken place my vote goes to Raising Cane's over Chick-fil-A.

#274 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

...When we do the poll for best fast food chicken place my vote goes to Raising Cane's over Chick-fil-A.

This 100% ! They're basically the same business model In 'N Out except that they sell chicken strips instead of Burgers. Their fries a just okay, but the Texas Toast the serve is great. And you get quite a bit of food for your dollar there. The only problem is that like In 'N Out, they tend to have long lines. A new one just opened in Anaheim last week that I had to walk away from because the lines (inside and the drive thru) were so long.

#275 4 years ago

Ugh. Cane's has exploded here in the last 5 years. They're freakin' EVERYWHERE around me. Like seriously guys, we don't need 10 of you within a 5 mile radius.

#276 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

We don't have any White Castles near me in WI but I live 10 miles from the Culver's World headquarters and eat there all the time.

Culver's is my favorite fast food restaurant - White Castle is my favorite 'snack' burger. Everything Culver's makes tastes fresh & delicious. As my family & I travel to central Wisconsin a few times every month, we routinely stop at the "World's Largest Culver's" off of I-90 in Edgerton. (It's really not much bigger than any other Culver's I've been to, but they advertise it this way!) If traffic is snarled on the way back home, we occasionally get off the highway in Baraboo & head towards the Culver's in Sauk City off of Rt. 12. I think that's the same Culver's you are referring to as they have a plaque outside as you leave the drive-thru. Good stuff!

BTW - In agreement, White Castle's jalapeño cheeseburgers are the best! (Make it a double when you're near one again - you won't regret it!)

#277 4 years ago

Culver's is my favorite fast food restaurant

Wait a second!

What about Krusty Burger?!

#278 4 years ago

Culver's is my favorite fast food restaurant - White Castle is my favorite 'snack' burger. Everything Culver's makes tastes fresh & delicious. As my family & I travel to central Wisconsin a few times every month, we routinely stop at the "World's Largest Culver's" off of I-90 in Edgerton. (It's really not much bigger than any other Culver's I've been to, but they advertise it this way!) If traffic is snarled on the way back home, we occasionally get off the highway in Baraboo & head towards the Culver's in Sauk City off of Rt. 12. I think that's the same Culver's you are referring to as they have a plaque outside as you leave the drive-thru. Good stuff!
    BTW - In agreement, White Castle's jalapeño cheeseburgers are the best! (Make it a double when you're near one again - you won't regret it!)

Yes, that is the same Culver's. They actually bulldozed the original Culver's which was at that location and built a new one about 10 years ago which is what the plaque is for. There's also a place a couple miles from there called the Blue Spoon Cafe which is an upscale "dine in" Culver's which overlooks the river. I kind of take Culver's for granted since there are so many of them around here (they outnumber McDonalds) but I really don't have anything bad to say about them. They are usually managed well and are a good reliable choice if you are looking for fast food.

I'm a bit envious that Illinois has so many Portillos as that's a great place for hot dogs and Italian Beefs. We finally got our first one in Madison this Spring. I'd trade you a couple of Culver's for another Portillos
    Screenshot_20190909-194348 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190909-194348 (resized).png

#279 4 years ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

What about Krusty Burger?!

I just assumed everyone knows that KrustyBurger makes the finest burgers being that they were voted the "Official Meat-Flavored Sandwich of the 1984 Summer Olympics". My personal favorites at KB's is the Ribwich, The Clogger and the now discontinued Whatchamachicken.

ribwich (resized).pngribwich (resized).png
    #280 4 years ago

While we’re talking burgers can we agree mayo on burgers is a fucking travesty? Who thought hot mayonnaise sounded like a good idea? Nasty.

#281 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

While we’re talking burgers can we agree mayo on burgers is a fucking travesty? Who thought hot mayonnaise sounded like a good idea? Nasty.

Hell no, we dont agree. Mayo not going to be any hotter than the cold lettuce, tomato or pickle. However, I like mine with sauteed onions, peppers, and mushrooms...and mayo of course.

#282 4 years ago

Thin smear of mayo on a toasted bun keeps it from getting soggy; oil is a water barrier. Veggies between mayo and beef.

#283 4 years ago

Mayo if using lettuce for sure for me. Better if you make it into some kind of spicy garlic aioli.

#284 4 years ago

I just like my burgers with cheese, pickle, bacon, and if available a fried egg and chips, either way no other condiments.

#285 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I'm a bit envious that Illinois has so many Portillos as that's a great place for hot dogs and Italian Beefs. We finally got our first one in Madison this Spring. I'd trade you a couple of Culver's for another Portillos
    [quoted image]

I hear Portillo's has a pretty good burger also. I've never had one though because I can't go there and not order the Italian beef. Like you say about Culver's there are so many here we take them for granted. I'm glad Portillo's is a little more scarce as it's more of a treat when you get it.

#286 4 years ago
    47206078594c49097d86580a4d846b51 (resized).jpg47206078594c49097d86580a4d846b51 (resized).jpg
    #287 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I hear Portillo's has a pretty good burger also. I've never had one though because I can't go there and not order the Italian beef.

Everytime I go to Portillos, I tell myself I'm going to try the burger. Just can't do that though when they sell the best hot dogs around.

#288 4 years ago

Burger Chef, lol haven't seen one of those since I was a kid.

#289 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

We had a couple of them with that design in the late '60's-early '70's. Then the went with the basic box buildings before shutting down. Burger Chef & Jeff...

#290 4 years ago

Gotta love this shot. I worked there at this very location. Food was way better back then and I could custom make myself a triple star. It's now a 7/11.

To the right is one of the very first KFCs in the area with the spinning bucket and all. We used to trade the workers food on the night shift.
    f26ca81f80d379b0514fd4c820cac7d3 (resized).jpgf26ca81f80d379b0514fd4c820cac7d3 (resized).jpg

#291 4 years ago

Remember when they used to keep track?

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #292 4 years ago

Best burger I had is from a chain in Iowa called B-Bops. I moved to Texas about 13 years ago, but still stop at B-Bops whenever I go back to Iowa. They also have a really good pork tenderloin sandwich.

B-Bop's has won Cityview magazine's Best of Des Moines award in the category of Best Burger for twenty six years in a row!

https://b-bops.com/

If you're ever in Des Moines, I highly recommend you try them out.

#293 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Remember when they used to keep track?[quoted image]

I remember counting them up in the '60's and early '70's from 5 to 6 was the first I remember. We wondered how "10" would fit on the new, smaller sign on a pole at the one we went to.

#294 4 years ago

McDonalds was great when they used to cook all their burgers fresh, instead of just cramming all the cooked patties in a drawer to be used later. And before they changed whatever oil they were cooking their fries in.

They have made a slight comeback with the fresh beef quarter pounder, but the fries will never be the same.

#295 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

McDonalds was great when they used to cook all their burgers fresh, instead of just cramming all the cooked patties in a drawer to be used later.

When was that? I worked there for a summer in high school probably 1990. We would cook 12 at a time, wrap them up and put them in the big warmer behind the cashiers. Filet of fish would sit all day and we would just throw them out at the end of the day.

#296 4 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

When was that? I worked there for a summer in high school probably 1990. We would cook 12 at a time, wrap the up and put them in the big warmer behind the crashers

70s maybe into the 80s. You could always see the grill going. Finished burgers were then wrapped and slid down metal tracks where the cashier could grab them.

If you were in doubt about the freshness, just order it special like with no pickles, and they would always pull you a hot, juicy patty right off the grill. With the patties in a drawer now, you still get a stale one no matter how you order it.

Unless you go quarter pounder of course. Those are really juicy and good now.

It was the same way at Carls Jr. We never threw a patty into the charbroiler until it was ordered. Now you can tell they were cooked long before.

#297 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

70s maybe into the 80s. You could always see the grill going. Finished burgers were then wrapped and slid down metal tracks where the cashier could grab them.

I would make my own just like that off the grill and it was good. The nuggets out of the fryer were outsounding. Pop those in when nobody was looking!

#298 4 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

The nuggets out of the fryer where outsounding.

I liked the old nuggets better. I ate enough of the newer ones when my kid would order them. They come out of a drawer now too.

#299 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Food was way better back then and I could custom make myself a triple star
    We used to trade the workers food on the night shift.

I used to do that as well when I worked there. And we traded food with the Pizza Hut night crew across the street.

I really miss the old Carls Jr fries made from Frispos...

#300 4 years ago

Hard to believe freeze dried Frispos pellets were so darn good. I took them over the real deal back then.

There are 405 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-hamburger-chain-take-the-poll/page/6?hl=calfdemon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.