(Topic ID: 250952)

Best Hamburger Chain --- Take the Poll.........

By pindome

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 405 posts
  • 165 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Envy-Me
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best Hamburger Chain --- Take the Poll.........”

• In and Out 178 votes
      29%
    • Smash Burger 26 votes
      4%
    • White Castle 27 votes
      4%
    • Carls Jr. 11 votes
      2%
    • Five Guys 217 votes
      35%
    • Wendy's 43 votes
      7%
    • Fat Burger 15 votes
      2%
    • Steak and Shake 27 votes
      4%
    • Shake Shack 46 votes
      7%
    • McDonalds 25 votes
      4%
    • Hamburger Habit 7 votes
      1%

(622 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Wendy (resized).jpeg
    2EDF5BF1-707F-4378-A563-9542D01149C6 (resized).jpeg
    029F8924-F119-48F8-B4A4-0D9D89B612ED (resized).jpeg
    06F892C6-3741-4EE5-B0C9-3543EA8D7A39 (resized).jpeg
    B1793FE2-A734-4CF8-93E7-36BE7D06F717 (resized).jpeg
    shake shack (resized).png
    3D656E92-8282-4693-B7B3-45AB8B445C6B (resized).jpeg
    D28FCA61-6CB6-45B9-9C69-C98B69459676 (resized).png
    04188-36 DIG Silo - PretzelBaconKing_500x540_CR.png
    Screenshot_20190920-220032_Maps (resized).jpg
    041116_monsterTB.grid-6x2 (resized).jpg
    carls (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    goooooood-burger (resized).jpg
    20190911_153857 (resized).jpg
    download (4) (resized).jpg
    There are 405 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
    #51 4 years ago

Stents

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Five Guys is winning this poll? Really?

It's the winner here all things considered. Plus getting in and out of our closest In-N-Out is a super big hassle. I don't even bother with the three others within a few miles that do have a drive thru.

He didn't even include that lessor burger joint in the poll.

In and Out must be one of those back east burger joints that I would like to try some day.
    o (resized).jpgo (resized).jpg

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Five Guys is winning this poll? Really? Every time I’ve been there I say “never again” when I leave. Maybe I’m just hitting the shitty ones. I am a burger snob and a fat ass though and say never again out the door of a lot of burger places.

I'm shocked as well. I can only assume it is because they don't have a Braum's nearby. They are not only the best fast food burgers, they are better than most sit-down restaurant burgers too. In addition, they have great fries, ice cream, chicken fried steaks, and a top-end "dairy" section as well.

The only problem is that Braum's are only within a few hundred miles of their dairy farm in Oklahoma, so locations are only in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, and Missouri.

They are so much better than five guys, it's not even funny.

#54 4 years ago

I want a fresh burger the way I want it. With as many of the ingredients I like put on it. I want to sit on the patio if I want. And eat peanuts out of the shell if I like. I want fries with real flavor.
    1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2019-09-06 at 11.18.57 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-09-06 at 11.18.57 PM (resized).png2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

#55 4 years ago

In and Out is gaining in the poll, but I've still never heard of that place. California is kind of an island in that regard.

I have heard of White Castle though. We only get them frozen.

#56 4 years ago

Give me Habit Burger anytime. That's definitely a California chain. I had a really good Super Duper a while back, though, so I could be persuaded. Never got into In and Out(I suspect that a lot of their popularity is nostalgia), and I've never had a really nice burger at Five Guys. There is a SF bay area chain called Beer Baron Bar and Kitchen that cooks some good burgers and they pair them with duck fat french fries. Don't bother going there if you are on any sort of diet. Nothing like a great draft beer, some of those fries and a medium rare burger still steaming from the grill.....

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Give me Habit Burger anytime. That's definitely a California chain. I had a really good Super Duper a while back, though, so I could be persuaded. Never got into In and Out

Dude, it's almost a tossup between Habit and 5 Guys for me as they are both only a few blocks away. I'll go to either way before I'd even consider In-N-Out. Depends on what I'm in the mood for.

Both have great burgers, shakes, and fries. 5 guys wins out with the peanuts, a slight edge in the shakes, and I really like all the grilled doodads on my burger.

Habit is a little cheaper and has an avocado option, and onion rings to die for. And is closer to the college, so the scenery is always great.

Habit is always 10 times busier than 5 guys so that must say something.

I know I have way over posted in this thread but I'm enthused! So I'll just leave this here for posterity's sake.
    5107960057_0945773a91_b (resized).jpg5107960057_0945773a91_b (resized).jpg

#58 4 years ago

There is a Five Guys within a mile of my house and I’ve eaten there once and a few other five guys in the la area and I gotta say their burgers are garbage. Over hyped like those nasty chick fila pickle brine tasting sandwiches.
    Johnny Rockets has best burgers and fries. And milkshakes.

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Johnny Rockets has best burgers and fries. And milkshakes.

See what all that smoking dope has done to me? I forgot all about Johnny Rockets.

But the closest one is a drive. And in an amusement park none the less.

#60 4 years ago

Smashburger if you double up on the patty and get the fried egg on it!

#61 4 years ago

Johnny Rockets brings the can with the shake, boy does that take me back.

Cocos used to do that with the best burger ever, The Lumberjack. Hasn't been the same since they renamed it The Cattleman.

l (resized).jpgl (resized).jpg
    #62 4 years ago

The blarney Stone in Syracuse, NY

#63 4 years ago

And I keep hearing Smashburger. That must be one state of the art burger.

Wanna get sloppy? Let's go to Tommy's.

420425_onEOxokaOL8r1vQMSs3AcewhJuE-t6OgUTX_UbXLPkE (resized).jpg420425_onEOxokaOL8r1vQMSs3AcewhJuE-t6OgUTX_UbXLPkE (resized).jpg
    #64 4 years ago

Disclaimer- I have made most of my burger choices here including regards to how far I have to go to get them.
    Five Guys is a hop skip and a jump that any derelict could pull off.

#65 4 years ago

jack-box-thumbs-2011_0_1 (resized).jpgjack-box-thumbs-2011_0_1 (resized).jpg

#66 4 years ago

I'm still with ya. barely.

#67 4 years ago

Why don't you guys put In and Out over the top just to humor me.

#68 4 years ago

No Burger King wtf rigged!!

#69 4 years ago

They just opened one of the Freddy's steak burgers here and I have to say they are pretty damn good, I'll go back.

#70 4 years ago

I chose Five Guys. The very best burgers come from melt for blue in my area. They use a prime rib ground down in about the most Fantastic Burger you've ever had. Melt and blue are the same company. So it is a chain of two stores.

#71 4 years ago

Red Robin has the best burgers around here.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #72 4 years ago

I can't believe all the votes Five Guys and In-and-Out. They're both so 'yesterday' They built a business and menu and have never changed. They're tasteless compared to some of the other offreings (read, SmashBurger). Never heard of Burger Habitat, so I can't comment.

I voted Shake Shack. I've never had one in the states, but they opened one in Hong Kong about a year ago. It's my 'go-to' burger place. Just be sure to avoid lunch and dinner time 'cause it's always packed. I refuse stand in line an hour for ANY burger. But go there between 1-4pm and there's no wait.

They also have these cool automated hand wash stations

#73 4 years ago

Most of those places on the poll don’t exist around the greater Boston area.

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

Most of those places on the poll don’t exist around the greater Boston area.

Nor the island I've been living on.

#76 4 years ago

I stop at the one in Jackson on Airport Road & I-94. Of course it is now Jackson Coffee Co. these days.....

#77 4 years ago

Whataburger not even in the poll? You poor non-Texans.

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Dude, it's almost a tossup between Habit and 5 Guys for me as they are both only a few blocks away. I'll go to either way before I'd even consider In-N-Out. Depends on what I'm in the mood for.
    Both have great burgers, shakes, and fries. 5 guys wins out with the peanuts, a slight edge in the shakes, and I really like all the grilled doodads on my burger.
    Habit is a little cheaper and has an avocado option, and onion rings to die for. And is closer to the college, so the scenery is always great.
    Habit is always 10 times busier than 5 guys so that must say something.
    I know I have way over posted in this thread but I'm enthused! So I'll just leave this here for posterity's sake.
    [quoted image]

Habit is also Sam Harvey's favorite place. He's the one who introduced me to it.

#79 4 years ago

Culver's, full stop.

But I see it didn't even make the poll. Must be that west and east coast bias

#80 4 years ago

for a chain Burger - Culvers is pretty good and their burgers are consistent. Red Robin is not bad either. But I'd give the nod to Culvers. Don't mind an occasional Whopper from Burger King .

Culvers would get the vote.

#81 4 years ago

I voted Five Guys, but Fudrucker's, Fat Daddy's and Circus Burger are better. Sadly, none are alive anymore in our area. The closest and best now is now Bad Daddy's, but not sure if that's just a regional chain.

#82 4 years ago

Fuddruckers
    Five Guys
    Carl’s Jr*

*Not Hardee’s the east coast version of Carl’s Jr. Their burgers are horrible

#83 4 years ago

Where’s Burger King????

#84 4 years ago

Fuddruckers closed doors in my area but had the best. 5 Guys is ok but charge way too much imo. We have some local joints that have been around for decades that serve up a tasty burger.

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

Fuddruckers closed doors in my area but had the best. 5 Guys is ok but charge way too much imo. We have some local joints that have been around for decades that serve up a tasty burger.

I love how Five Guys has all the wall hangings saying stuff like "Voted Baltimore's best burger" etc. They had one that said "The best $5.00 burger there is". I got the manager and walked him to the sign. I told him I'd like to try the "Best $5.00 hamburger" where is it on the menu? He started with the old errr, ummmm, hmmm, Then he suggested the "Little Hamburger" on the menu. I asked why doesn't the wall hanging say "the Best $5.00 Little hamburger"? He had no answer.....

There burgers are good but they go down like a brick. Fries taste great but they are not for those on a diet. I recall a large has like 1600 calories.

#86 4 years ago

In and out dominates the market, but I have always preferred Carl's Jr.

Choices.

https://mentalitch.com/the-history-of-carls-jr-and-hardees/

But when I was working in the field. I would have Carl's and in and out atleast once per week.

The lines at in and out show I am in the minority...

#88 4 years ago

Around here it's Mooyah's by a wide margin. Not cheap but excellent. It's fast casual rather than fast food.

#89 4 years ago

Man I used to love gettin a sack of 12 burgers, handing over a 5spot and getting a couple pennies back...
    Back in the mid 90’s

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

No Fuddruckers? I'm a big fan of their 1lb burger w/bacon & cheese. One of these days they'll be hauling me out of there in a meat wagon.

One of the best for sure, always stop by there on long trips since none are local.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

One of the best for sure, always stop by there on long trips since none are local.

The first Detroit area location in Sterling Heights is still open after over 30 years. Not local to your home, but not far from some tournaments you participate in. There's one near Lawrence Tech as well.

#92 4 years ago

Believe it or not, In-N-Out sometimes closes a location.
    In June of this year, this one was because it it was actually too busy. Drive-Thru traffic was backing up into the streets after clogging up the strip mall parking lot. A new restaurant was built down the road with a better traffic pattern. Note that the Trademarked crossed palm trees are removed when the store is shut down.

0190907-102151 (resized).png0190907-102151 (resized).png20190907-102143 (resized).png20190907-102143 (resized).png
    #93 4 years ago

In and Out was founded by the principle of fresh food fast. Local. Friends socialized with the founder for years. And would tell me 20 years ago that he only wanted a localized chain so the supply chain was amazingly consistent. Well that was the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Their now in Texas and other locations 1000 miles from where he intended. His idea of fresh food fast was way, way ahead of its time. Now many burger chains offer fresh not frozen food so In and Out doesn't stand out as much anymore. I with Odin. For me, The Habit now seems to be the 1960s and 70s In and Out. Fresh food with a few new ideas.

#94 4 years ago

Fatburger has always been fresh. Their burgers aren’t perfect circles...know why? Because they throw a ball of meat on the grill and smash it down. And you guessed it...Smash Burger is a total rip off of them. fatburger is definitely not the cheapest but they’re still the best and the OG.

#95 4 years ago

None of the burger chains offer a great burger. The best burgers start with the best ingredients. At a minimum it must be mixed with sirloin or ribeye, with bonus points for Wagyu and Kobe for the touchdown. Of course every truly good burger is tailored to the individual. You want to be asked if you want cheese or do you want to order half pepper jack and half Swiss? Do you like mushrooms and onions, but only if grilled? Doesn’t seem like any chains can give you a $25 burger that tastes like a million.

#96 4 years ago

That's a by product!

#97 4 years ago

Problem with polls like these is a lot of "national" chains are still very heavily biased toward certain regions. I've been all over most states east of the Mississippi (though not so much since my kids were born) and STILL have never seen an In-N-Out or Whataburger. And I'm sure others like me would say the same going the other way.

And while some chains can be great, NOTHING beats a good ol' mom-n-pop grease stand that knows what they're doing and does it well.

So as for "national" chains, Five Guys comes consistently closest to that for me. So many toppings and perfect fries. They can be heavy, but what great burger ISN'T heavy?

But the best burgers I had were from Maxwell Street Station in Chicago (24/7/365 open walkup griddle counter; no-nonsense patties slathered with mustard and grilled onions on a soft toasted bun)... and at the opposite end, Terry's Turf Club (RIP to the original 2018) in Cincinnati - I don't even remember what types of gourmet nonsense I tried each time but they were fully loaded as big as your head, absolutely fantastic, and offered the BEST onion rings I have ever had, hands down.

#98 4 years ago

This thread is making me hungry!

#99 4 years ago

How White Castle doesn’t win this poll is beyond my comprehension.

#100 4 years ago

Go Blue!

Blimpy_burger-thumb-646x429-129232 (resized).jpgBlimpy_burger-thumb-646x429-129232 (resized).jpg
    There are 405 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-hamburger-chain-take-the-poll/page/2?hl=pinball_gizzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.