• Hulk 3 votes
    5%
  • Spiderman 0 votes
  • Other 0 votes

(65 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3BA207A1-599B-465E-B0AE-6F79FD0FA303 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quinntopia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 6 years ago

Shhhh! We don't want everyone to know how great system 1's are! Don't we have a secret rule to never promote system 1's?

If we start talking about them like this, those Bally/Williams folks will find out and then the prices will go up!

Let's be safe and stick with the script:

"System 1's are terrible! Mine broke! It's really hard! Blah blah power supply blah blah connectors, blah blah relay blah blah Ed Krynski" etc...

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I was wondering if it is considered sacrilegious to replace the plastic spinners in games like Genie or Sinbad with a metallic one like on Robo War?

I'm in the middle of a Sinbad restoration and am looking at different options to upgrade/mod the playfield. I might test this out.

On a related note, any ideas on what other parts are somewhat compatible with Gottlieb System 1's? E.g flippers, pop bumper caps..?

Sorry, guess I'm taking this thread off topic....

Also..."System 1's are giant boat anchors! You can never find spider chips! The connectors are rotted!"*

*Secret Sys1 Owner/Collectors code words.

#37 6 years ago

There should be a "Top 100 Rating" for Game Themes or Cab/BG/PF Art.

My age is showing, but I love these late 70's games. While the rating system based on game play is appropriate, I'd also like to see a rating system based just on art/design. Honestly, there are some amazing modern games that I would never want in my home.

I would suspect that JP would be in the Top 10, if not Top 5. Perfect colors, fun design, and one of Gordon Morrison's best.

I like the look of Countdown, but it seems to me that the astronauts head is out of proportion.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm not sure what you're asking. You can buy parts for Gottlieb system 1 games. The main source for Gottlieb parts is PBResource.com

The range of options for replacing Sys 1 playfield parts seems fairly limited compared to bally/williams from what I've found. Flippers for example: White only - although there are some black ones (for Black Hole I think?). OTOH, Williams/Bally have all sorts of color options.
Yes, there are a lot of Gottlieb pop bumper caps, but none seem to allow the use of the new LED rings (especially the reactive ones) as those seem to be designed for Bally/Williams 'screw down' bumper caps (again - a lot more options for those games in terms of colors, styles, etc..).

Obviously, I'm not sticking to an exact reproduction. What I want to do is to try and convert some of the white posts, flippers, pop bumper caps to a color scheme more in line with the rest of the cabinet/playfield. Gottlieb didn't really have any other materials other than white as far as I can tell. The bright oranges, blueds, pinks, and greens on all these System 1 games just seem to cry out for some updated colors (IMO - as another mentioned, not trying to offend purists, but "Sinbad Purists" is an oxymoron! )

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

I could be wrong but I don't think the original System 1 MPU is fast enough to even catch faster spins than the plastic spinner can deliver.
I wonder if the after market MPU boards process switch closures faster or not?
What parts compatibility are you wanting to know? Much of the mechanical hardware was totally redesigned by Gottlieb engineers PRIOR to the SS games being made (Flipper assy, pop bumper mounts, lock down bar etc.). And all the same mechanical parts were used to build either type of game other than the electronics vs relay logic.
Overall, it wasn't until Premier entered the picture that some assemblies were again redesigned to make things easier to manufacturer thereby lowering the price of the assemblies (ie Drop Target Assys).

Thanks Cactus! That's actually what I am discovering. I admit, its part of the 'charm' about System 1 too, but when you just want something as basic as a yellow flipper instead of white (not the 'yellowed nicotine white' that mine are now! LOL) there are no choices apparantly.

#41 6 years ago

BTW, this is fun thread. Pinside seems to have two clear personalities (although a lot of folks cross over): the "new pinball" Stern/JJP/Twilight Zone to presnt crowd, and the other group that goes back to the late EM stage. Its all fun, but I enjoy these old pin threads a lot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quinntopia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-gottlieb-sys-1-joker-poker-or-countdown?tu=quinntopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.