(Topic ID: 63544)

best glue for fixing broken plastic target.

By tp

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

broken target on starship troopers. as far as i know you cant buy new, can ya?

#2 10 years ago

I think glueing would be really difficult because of the pounding they get.

Do you mean these? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-6776-08-59

#4 10 years ago

unfortunately its neither of those.. its the one just to the left of the kickout hole in middle playfield.

#6 10 years ago

This is a good question, I'm interested to see if there is an answer. I have super glued drop targets back together--they lasted for awhile but eventually broke again.

#7 10 years ago

Pic would help. I just sculpted teeth for my Elvira skull cave out of a two part Kneadatite epoxy, and along with the epoxy used some super glue. Not that relevant to you. But one other thing is did was build little braces out of paperclip wire, which i embedded in the back of the teeth and then up into the skull. So if the teeth are hit some of that impact energy will be absorbed up into the main skull cavity. You might be able to explore some methods that will help the glue take an impact.

So there are options besides just glue, depending on the situation. Post that photo!

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Pic would help. I just sculpted teeth for my Elvira skull cave out of a two part Kneadatite epoxy, and along with the epoxy used some super glue. Not that relevant to you. But one other thing is did was build little braces out of paperclip wire, which i embedded in the back of the teeth and then up into the skull. So if the teeth are hit some of that impact energy will be absorbed up into the main skull cavity. You might be able to explore some methods that will help the glue take an impact.
    So there are options besides just glue, depending on the situation. Post that photo!

Steve Young at Pinball Resource sells an assortment of piano wire, and I've used it to reinforce plastic when I glue it. The piano wire is much harder and springier than a paperclip. I've also used fiberglass cloth, and fiberglass drywall tape.

#10 10 years ago

Wouldn't it be possible to adapt one of the ones that are available to fit?

#11 10 years ago

This one or are they narrower?

http://marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=500-6228-05

500-6138-06 yellow
    500-6075-02 red
    500-6139-04 green
    500-6228-05 blue

standing target part numbers by kick out hole.

#12 10 years ago

No matter what glue I've used the only difference is how soon it will break again. Two part epoxy seems to work the longest, that will only buy you some time to get a replacement part....which is the only permanent solution.

#13 10 years ago

Someone send me a drop target and I can make one with my 3d printer.

#14 10 years ago

shoot again, that looks like the one. tmezei if its not ill send u target. thank 4 help guys. so who gonna walk me through process of gettig pic from my samsung galaxy phone into this post??

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

No matter what glue I've used the only difference is how soon it will break again. Two part epoxy seems to work the longest, that will only buy you some time to get a replacement part....which is the only permanent solution.

That is kinda what I was afraid of, thanks for posting your experience.

#16 10 years ago

Plastex works incredibly well for fixing plastic. I used it to fix a broken ramp, and it worked really really well. They claim it's as strong as the original plastic, and I after using it, I believe them. Kinda hard to work with, but may suit your need....

http://www.plastex.net/Product_Info.php

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

shoot again, that looks like the one. tmezei if its not ill send u target. thank 4 help guys. so who gonna walk me through process of gettig pic from my samsung galaxy phone into this post??

Either sync phone to computer and then just upload, or e-mail direct from Galaxy to yourself and pick up e-mail on your computer and then upload. Failing that mailshot everyone reading this post with a photocopy and we'll stick it to our computer screens and pretend you've uploaded it.

4 months later
    #18 10 years ago

I think you many useEpoxy Adhesive Glue.It will be very useful to you.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-glue-for-fixing-broken-plastic-target and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.