(Topic ID: 195637)

Best games with theme integration that creates a 'world under glass'

By jonesjb

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Some recent pins are being released with little integration with the theme, whose layout could easily be transposed of to another theme, and I got wondering. Which games really embody the theme and create that 'world under glass' feel. Here are my thoughts:

Great theme integration:
    Ghostbusters
    Shadow
    Alien
    Twilight Zone
    Wizard of Oz
    Tales of the Arabian Nights
    Lord of the Rings

Weaker integration:
    Stern Star Wars
    Game of Thrones

#2 6 years ago

LOTR takes the crown.

GOT is a mixed bag. While not greatly integrated to the show with call outs. The houses, swords, dragons, and journey are integrated very well.

#3 6 years ago

jonesjb I agree with you about Wizard of Oz and will throw in my votes for The Simpsons Pinball Party and The Addams Family too.

#4 6 years ago

TSPP is one of the best at this. Each portion of the playfield represents different areas of the town. Every mode has shots that make sense for that character. When you're playing the Homer's Day mode, you actually have to go thru shots that represent his normal day, like hitting the power plant bumpers and the Moe's Tavern ramp. Little details like this make the theme very immersive.

#5 6 years ago

Lotr 100%

#6 6 years ago

Adding some more votes:

#theatre-of-magic

#star-trek-the-next-generation

#indiana-jones

#7 6 years ago

Most of the 90s b/w did a great job at creating this.

#8 6 years ago

Fire, Blackwater, and Whitewater.....simply because of the amount of dimensional plastics, as a
    "visual" only.

Others add music and play, that rounds out the title better

#9 6 years ago

LOTR hands down. Honorable mention goes to Bad Cats and Cyclone.

#10 6 years ago

Haunted House is like a world under glass! Like exploring 3 stories of a Haunted House

#12 6 years ago

A lot of the 90s pins are great for this, there was a real connection between design and theme going on then, they just feel so cohesive and creative. The bustling vibe of JPOP's pins feel in line with their themes, as does exploratory vibe of Lawlor's pins. The menacing, eclectic feel of Twilight Zone is so appropriate, you really do get the sense of it being this fantastical curio shop as represented on the backglass.

#13 6 years ago

Dialed In
    Wizard of Oz
    Addams Family Gold
    Scared Stiff
    Monster Bash

#14 6 years ago

My vote is with Tspp and Lotr . It's like looking into Springfield .

#15 6 years ago

I am honestly not trying to troll or bash Stern. But go to the top 100 and omit every stern execpt LOTR and TSSP and you have a pretty accurate list.

#16 6 years ago

Some of the best looking games I have bought due to looks but they could not hold my interest.
    Honorable mentions
    IJ
    TZ
    RS
    WOZ (have not owned yet)
    TSPP

All of these look great under the glass but just cant seem to keep them in the line up.

#17 6 years ago

CFTBL is great drive in movie theme, snack bar etc..

#18 6 years ago

Cyclone does a good job to me - like the ball is the patron in the amusement park going to the different attractions, riding the rides and so on. Whitewater is also a good one.

#19 6 years ago

TSPP & LOTR are both excellent.
    WH20, WOZ, MM are great also.

#20 6 years ago

Congo. Great jungle theme. You have two guerillas that interact with the ball and a volcano that spews out balls and also part of a ramp. I think a lot of Trudeau games have a good world under glass. GB and Flinstones are also very good.

#21 6 years ago

Lots and lots of choices but would say LOTR & WOZ at the top. As for second place just pick your favorite B/W title.

#22 6 years ago

Don't forget POTC, theme integration doesn't get much better than that.

#23 6 years ago

Cirqus Voltaire and Attack from Mars

#24 6 years ago

TOTAN

honorable mentions:
    BBB
    Ghost Busters

#25 6 years ago

Tron
    X-Men
    Doctor Who
    TAF
    Revenge From Mars

#27 6 years ago

I am surprised noone has mentioned STTNG yet. Great overall feel and integration ... almost makes you want to watch the series.

#28 6 years ago
    #29 6 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

I am honestly not trying to troll or bash Stern. But go to the top 100 and omit every stern execpt LOTR and TSSP and you have a pretty accurate list.

Yo, Tron though, can't agree with that!

#30 6 years ago

uh-oh wait until TheLaw see's the title of this thread

#31 6 years ago

Maybe TSPP or FGY is best as a "world under glass" and would give FGY the edge there....

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

uh-oh wait until thelaw see's the title of this thread

Why's that?

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from statsdoc:

I am surprised noone has mentioned STTNG yet. Great overall feel and integration ... almost makes you want to watch the series.

Next Gen gets the nod for most immersive with the full cast custom callouts and intense Borg multiball, but I interpret "world under glass" as having more to do with art/toys/features.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

Maybe TSPP or FGY is best as a "world under glass" and would give FGY the edge there....

Yes, FGY is amazing immersive. Didn't come to mind but it is one of the best at being a world under glass.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from statsdoc:

Post 6

#36 6 years ago

The Flintstones

4 months later
    #41 6 years ago
    Quoted from statsdoc:

I’ve been watching more of the series because I am on the fence about getting a STTNG. The theme song right from the start really makes me want one

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-games-with-theme-integration-that-creates-a-world-under-glass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.