(Topic ID: 108841)

Best games with LOTS of modes???

By Pinball-Pat

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider matt_rasmussen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

That's exactly how I feel about the modes on those games. Yes, I do get more points when going for the modes and pins like STTNG make it really worth while completing the modes as you get a big points rewarded in Final Frontier. But I would prefer more games that completely block your progress if you don't beat at least some of the modes. LotR does a perfect job with this using the GotE.
It's nice to rack up points, but in a home setting, playing alone, often it's more fun to me trying to progress through a game than "just" going for as much points as possible.

RBION is a prime example of that.

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from CarShark:

That's why it's the first game I play every time I boot up Pinball Arcade, and why it's #1 on my list of games to buy once I can afford to. Between the Continent Jackpot and having to spell RIPLEY to get to Atlantis, it's one of the few games that requires you to play the modes well, and with the decent variety of shots, it doesn't get old.

Yup, you HAVE to complete modes, you cannot just time them out. Both frustrating and rewarding at the same time! Don't forget Frog Frenzy, collect every super jackpot +1. Very challenging pin for sure. And you cannot just bash around and get lucky, if you don't know the rules and execute strategy you will not enjoy the machine much. But, if that's your thing, you will love it.

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Yeah, but as I recall, there is nothing in the rules that reward anything but some focused points until the timer runs out - only necessary to start them. There is nothing to beat. TFTC modes suck in that way, actually. You can stack them, but it doesn't help you other than saving time getting them all started.
RBION, STTNG, LOTR are better, rewarding your game progress beyond points if you can "beat" the modes. TSPP is by far the best because you benefit by beating modes, PLUS the game allows you to stack them all which really rewards you with exponential shot point value if several are running concurrently. Throw in the double scoring variable, and scoring the earned treehouse awards, and it's in a class of its own. And if multiple modes are completed during the same ball, every shot is worth an increasingly higher value based on the number of modes completed. Every shot can score Super Jackpot values. Ridiculously hard to achieve. Good play in a single ball is well rewarded, and all destroyed when it drains. TSPP always offers a rewarding balanced exponential scoring challenge.
RBION, STTNG, and LOTR have great modes but are not stackable, but the non-stackability creates a strategic approach which is good. But TSPP is superior due to the stacking ability which offers a more versatile game-play experience each game.

But I hate the Simpsons, can't even play the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.95
Pinball Life

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider matt_rasmussen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-games-with-lots-of-modes?tu=matt_rasmussen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.