(Topic ID: 108841)

Best games with LOTS of modes???

By Pinball-Pat

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

I've never played road show. I've always been a rock and roll guy, and the "it's too country" comments have kept me from really considering it for my collection. I may have to reconsider...

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

I've never played Road Show. I've always been a rock and roll guy, and the "it's too country" comments have kept me from really considering it for my collection. I may have to reconsider...

I hear you, I'm not a country guy by any means, but everyone says the same thing about the music, in that it fits as pinball music. I really love playing this machine, and it's mega deep.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

TTT seems good stacked with anything really, but you can't see the mode's shots when stacked with TTT, so I generally stack Find the Warq with TTT, as I know I have to hit all shots after the left ramp.

Yes, Warg Battle is a good mode to stack with TTT multiball, because the follow-up shots after the left ramp are easy to remember, and TTT overrides the mode shot prompts. However Gollum multiball is good to stack with any mode, because Gollum doesn't override the mode shot prompts.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Yes, Warg Battle is a good mode to stack with TTT multiball, because the follow-up shots after the left ramp are easy to remember, and TTT overrides the mode shot prompts. However Gollum multiball is good to stack with any mode, because Gollum doesn't override the mode shot prompts.

It is, but it's nice to have Gollum ready for MB's to restart them after, especially for ROTK. Problem is that shot is so iffy, that somedays I can hit it four times straight trying to shoot it, and it goes clean through to the pops and doesn't count. I like that aspect though, regardless.

4 months later
#56 9 years ago

Bump, any other thoughts... (Maybe some other folks will contribute)

#57 9 years ago

I love the modes on LOTR, Stargate, and IJ. I have to get an IJ!

#58 9 years ago

Pops determine which robot mode is next, but i cant believe we havent had TF/TFLE mentioned (that i saw).

5 decepticon robot modes (Megatron is 4ball mb)
5 autobot robot modes (optimus is 4?ball mb, mudflap/skids is 2ball mb)
Rules for megatron/optimus change if you are playing red or purple side
Bumblebee captive ball starts timed double scoring mode
Mudflap/skids target starts timed (all shots worth x) frenzy mode
Completing red robot modes has rollout mini wizard mode
Completing purple robot modes has all hail megatron mini wizard mode
Completing both red and purple has a unobtanium final wizard mode
Tfle adds starscream left ramp mini mode and ironhide right ramp mini mode.
I dunno if these are in the pro or not, but ironhide awards you super pops, super spinner modes

#59 9 years ago

Transformers le

#60 9 years ago

LOTR is not a mode based game. I think some on here don't understand what modes are.

TZ and TAF are kings of the mode based games.

Honorable mention to Tommy and GNR, and RFM

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

LOTR is not a mode based game. I think some on here don't understand what modes are.
TZ and TAF are kings of the mode based games.
Honorable mention to Tommy and GNR, and RFM

Now that's an interesting statement. Please explain why LotR is not mode based?

Every definition of "pinball modes" or "mode based pinball games" I can find describes pretty much exactly what LotR (or TZ or TAF etc.) does.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Yes and no. The mini wizard mode of TABA works just like a classic mode game does - complete all modes, do this mini wizard. Keefer still uses the classic modes, and finish them to get to a wizard approach in many games (TSPP, WPT), but this is only an aspect of the whole package.

But it's still a mode based game in that regards. Games like BSD, DW, AFM etc, those are not mode based games, as they have no modes you need to complete in a progression towards anything.

#63 9 years ago

it's not really mode based because it has only 6 modes. But it's kind of like a secondary object to the game. It's not the primary aspect of the rules like say TZ is. Shadow has modes, but it's not it's primary aspect. it's 25% of the rule objectives, so I would not consider it mode based. Base means primary aspect.

#64 9 years ago

STLE is the king of modes.

#65 9 years ago

yes that is a mode based game for sure.

I don't know if I would even call AC/DC mode based, as you are kind of doing modes, but your main goal isn't to bust through them as fast as you can to see the ending. Your drive isn't to see encore, it's to cash in on that megajackpot.

#66 9 years ago

Gotta say ST as well. Yes, playing the modes is not very different but how you play those modes hugely impacts scoring. That's the fun. You also have away team options for playing modes different and vengeance modes.

#67 9 years ago

Play a road show on location. It's mode depth is insane and it plays like the love child of TAF and FH, but costs less than either of those titles. It's a crazy value and a real keeper. You can get over the music and, if you can't, you can buy a PinSound board for less than the price difference between RS and many of the others suggested here.

#68 9 years ago

Junkyard has a lot of different modes like a time machine where you can play video modes of previous games it kinda cool.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it's not really mode based because it has only 6 modes.

Id argue that ring multiball, ring frenzy, super ring frenzy, destroy the ring, there and back again, and valinor are considered modes too.

#70 9 years ago

those are modes as well, but your main objectives in the game isn't really modes. It has modes, but multiballs are your primary objectives. That's how you destroy the ring for the midway mini ending. I think there is more focus on that, collecting fellowship members, locking balls, and collecting dead, than anything else. The other stuff is more bonus stuff going on while you're trying to accomplish those things.

#71 9 years ago

Still an interesting perspective - but at least I see where you're coming from now. Thanks for clearing that up!

I think LotR is a mediocre example, just because I never even care the least bit for the multiballs, I only go for modes when starting a game. MBs get into focus when I've made it through most of the modes and have 3 or more GotE. That said, in between MBs "just happen" or I use them to get better results from the modes. Anyway I put it, getting the modes done well and collecting gifts (which again are modes) is my main goal on LotR. When all this is done I might need to replay one or the other MB, but starting MBs is not the main goal during gameplay.

Shadow as you stated is a much better example. There I can fully understand your point of view as the modes are only 25% of the deal. Even though personally I tend to call this kind of ruleset "mode based with added objectives".

Anyway, the TS's question was "best games with lots of modes" and LotR qualifies big time in that category.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#72 9 years ago

The problem with he super pins is that modes are all their is and you done have to finish them to get to another part of the game. You start all the modes, get through them and you gat a 6 ball multiball as a reward. If someone would rewrite the rules to these pins they would be f****ng epic. Wouldn't be me though, Im lucky to be able to download the code much less write it.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

The problem with he super pins is that modes are all their is and you done have to finish them to get to another part of the game. You start all the modes, get through them and you gat a 6 ball multiball as a reward. If someone would rewrite the rules to these pins they would be f****ng epic. Wouldn't be me though, Im lucky to be able to download the code much less write it.

That's exactly how I feel about the modes on those games. Yes, I do get more points when going for the modes and pins like STTNG make it really worth while completing the modes as you get a big points rewarded in Final Frontier. But I would prefer more games that completely block your progress if you don't beat at least some of the modes. LotR does a perfect job with this using the GotE.
It's nice to rack up points, but in a home setting, playing alone, often it's more fun to me trying to progress through a game than "just" going for as much points as possible.

1 month later
#74 8 years ago

In the same mind, which games propose stacked multiballs?

#75 8 years ago

I know Medieval madness and BSD propose stacked multiball. Which one else?

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

That's exactly how I feel about the modes on those games. Yes, I do get more points when going for the modes and pins like STTNG make it really worth while completing the modes as you get a big points rewarded in Final Frontier. But I would prefer more games that completely block your progress if you don't beat at least some of the modes. LotR does a perfect job with this using the GotE.
It's nice to rack up points, but in a home setting, playing alone, often it's more fun to me trying to progress through a game than "just" going for as much points as possible.

RBION is a prime example of that.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

The white modes on Spidey are selectable via the pops, just like TZ. I've actually done this to show folks the Bonesaw cheat.

What's the Bonesaw cheat?

#80 8 years ago

Cactus Canyon (starting Gold Mine or Stampede while the last drop target is still lit, then shooting it can stack either multiball with Showdown multiball)
No Good Gofers (normal multiball can be stacked with either Ripoff multiball or Speed Golf multiball, or both)
Cirqus Voltaire (Ringmaster, Juggler, Highwire, Neon, and Strike-an-Arc Multiballs can all be stacked in many different ways)
Champion Pub (if you get the timing right it's possible to stack Multi-Brawl, Fisticuffs, and Raid Multiballs at the same time)

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

But I would prefer more games that completely block your progress if you don't beat at least some of the modes. LotR does a perfect job with this using the GotE.

Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

RBION is a prime example of that.

That's why it's the first game I play every time I boot up Pinball Arcade, and why it's #1 on my list of games to buy once I can afford to. Between the Continent Jackpot and having to spell RIPLEY to get to Atlantis, it's one of the few games that requires you to play the modes well, and with the decent variety of shots, it doesn't get old.

#82 8 years ago

Tales from the Crypt

#83 8 years ago

PM because modes are for the weak!

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from CarShark:

That's why it's the first game I play every time I boot up Pinball Arcade, and why it's #1 on my list of games to buy once I can afford to. Between the Continent Jackpot and having to spell RIPLEY to get to Atlantis, it's one of the few games that requires you to play the modes well, and with the decent variety of shots, it doesn't get old.

Same here. Currently searching for a nice one.

It also has the tic-tac-toe thing, another additional twist to keep you busy. And don't forget Frog Frenzy is forcing you to go for the Jackpots not just for their points!

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from CarShark:

Yup, you HAVE to complete modes, you cannot just time them out. Both frustrating and rewarding at the same time! Don't forget Frog Frenzy, collect every super jackpot +1. Very challenging pin for sure. And you cannot just bash around and get lucky, if you don't know the rules and execute strategy you will not enjoy the machine much. But, if that's your thing, you will love it.

#86 8 years ago

TFTC has some great modes. I think like 12 in all.

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

TFTC has some great modes. I think like 12 in all.

Yeah, but as I recall, there is nothing in the rules that reward anything but some focused points until the timer runs out - only necessary to start them. There is nothing to beat. TFTC modes suck in that way, actually. You can stack them, but it doesn't help you other than saving time getting them all started.

RBION, STTNG, LOTR are better, rewarding your game progress beyond points if you can "beat" the modes. TSPP is by far the best because you benefit by beating modes, PLUS the game allows you to stack them all which really rewards you with exponential shot point value if several are running concurrently. Throw in the double scoring variable, and scoring the earned treehouse awards, and it's in a class of its own. And if multiple modes are completed during the same ball, every shot is worth an increasingly higher value based on the number of modes completed. Every shot can score Super Jackpot values. Ridiculously hard to achieve. Good play in a single ball is well rewarded, and all destroyed when it drains. TSPP always offers a rewarding balanced exponential scoring challenge.

RBION, STTNG, and LOTR have great modes but are not stackable, but the non-stackability creates a strategic approach which is good. But TSPP is superior due to the stacking ability which offers a more versatile game-play experience each game.

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Yeah, but as I recall, there is nothing in the rules that reward anything but some focused points until the timer runs out - only necessary to start them. There is nothing to beat. TFTC modes suck in that way, actually. You can stack them, but it doesn't help you other than saving time getting them all started.
RBION, STTNG, LOTR are better, rewarding your game progress beyond points if you can "beat" the modes. TSPP is by far the best because you benefit by beating modes, PLUS the game allows you to stack them all which really rewards you with exponential shot point value if several are running concurrently. Throw in the double scoring variable, and scoring the earned treehouse awards, and it's in a class of its own. And if multiple modes are completed during the same ball, every shot is worth an increasingly higher value based on the number of modes completed. Every shot can score Super Jackpot values. Ridiculously hard to achieve. Good play in a single ball is well rewarded, and all destroyed when it drains. TSPP always offers a rewarding balanced exponential scoring challenge.
RBION, STTNG, and LOTR have great modes but are not stackable, but the non-stackability creates a strategic approach which is good. But TSPP is superior due to the stacking ability which offers a more versatile game-play experience each game.

But I hate the Simpsons, can't even play the game.

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

But I hate The Simpsons, can't even play the game.

Yeah I can;t stand the look/sound of the thing. To bad because it has some things going for it.

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah I can;t stand the look/sound of the thing. To bad because it has some things going for it.

Yep. Guess I could get used to the look, but the sound kills it completely for me. Apart from that it's a great game.

#91 8 years ago

Doctor Who allows you to choose different doctors with different properties for each ball launch.

#92 8 years ago

Williams India Jones & The Simpsons Pinball Party.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 29.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-games-with-lots-of-modes/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.