(Topic ID: 331300)

Best games to own in a home

By acupunk12

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best home game if you could choose just one”

• AFM 47 votes
      28%
    • Jurassic Park 48 votes
      28%
    • LOTR 27 votes
      16%
    • Other 47 votes
      28%

(Multiple choice - 169 votes by 161 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Serious (resized).jpeg
    THE TRUTH (resized).png
    There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago

A little disappointing following that link, was expecting thousands of downvotes but only 12. All he does is nothing.

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

A little disappointing following that link, was expecting thousands of downvotes but only 12. All he does is nothing.

Yeah that's downvotes for him, not what he gives out. Sadly there is no way I know of to isolate votes given out...even with your pulse visible.

#53 1 year ago

I’m thinking of settling on 2 sterns, a cgc, a jpp a spooky and then another off the wall company and then fill in with older machines as I find them in good condition.

#54 1 year ago

Account is 45 days old...... I wonder who this reincarnation is?

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from Elephanthead:

I’m thinking of settling on 2 sterns, a cgc, a jpp a spooky and then another off the wall company and then fill in with older machines as I find them in good condition.

Interesting, I have zero desire to even play let alone OWN any games from a couple of those companies. Sounds like ur throwing darts at the wall to see what sticks-not that there's anything wrong with that...

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from Elephanthead:

I’m settling on 2 Sterns, a CGC, a JJP, a Spooky, another off-the-wall company, then fill in with older machines.

Quoted from snyper2099:

I have zero desire to even play let alone OWN any games from a couple of those companies.

I'd like a line-up of:

Predator (Skit-B)
    Kingpin (Capcom)
    Cosmic Carnival (Suncoast Pinball)
    Magic Girl (Zidware)
    Punny Factory (Pinball Adventures)
    Crocodile Hunter Outback Adventure (The Pinball Factory)
    The Pinball Circus (Circus Maximus)

And then I'd look for something rare (and harder to find than any of those) to round out the collection.

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

I'd like a line-up of:
    Predator (Skit-B)
    Kingpin (Capcom)
    Cosmic Carnival (Suncoast Pinball)
    Magic Girl (Zidware)
    Punny Factory (Pinball Adventures)
    Crocodile Hunter Outback Adventure (The Pinball Factory)
    The Pinball Circus (Circus Maximus)
    And then I'd look for something rare (and harder to find) to round out the collection.

Serious (resized).jpegSerious (resized).jpeg
    #58 1 year ago

Get one from each decade… 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, 00’s, 10’s, 20’s. Add multiples of your favorite era, I suggest 90’s and 60’s, but that’s me, I love all eras, but the wife got on board with this plan and we cover some double decades with a single machine, the recent 10’s and 1990’s are covered by MBrLE, new 2018 tech, old 90’s title. This was supposed to keep total collection size reasonable until I went wedgehead crazy.

#59 1 year ago

Here's a hot take....

Deep code. Shallow code. Points focused. Modes focused. Wizard Modes. Multiballs. New games. Old games. Speed. Flow. Stop & Go....... Who really cares?

You know what games are the best to own at home? The ones that scratch an itch for YOU. The moments that always feel good, that never get old. That make a game worth owning. Like....

30 million callouts on BSD
    Racking up multiple specials on Atlantis
    Maxing the bonus countdown on Quicksilver
    Hitting a huge Destruction Jackpots on Godzilla
    Resetting the drops on Abra-Ca-Dabra
    Risking points & cashing in on Jackbot
    Starting double scoring on Flash Gordon
    Exploring all the features on Twilight Zone
    Ripping the lit spinner on Alien Star
    Hell ripping any spinner on any game!
    Etc etc etc

Whatever floats YOUR boat. Personally I like games that are straightforward with tasks that are difficult to achieve. If your lineup consists of games all manufactured after 2010, then you are doing it wrong IMO.

Just search for those satisfying moments. That only comes with experience & playing a lot of games from all eras. Enjoy the ride.

#60 1 year ago

Most people took my tittle and survey for the question I was actually asking. That’s my bad.

Thanks for everyone who participated in their own way even if it didn’t answer my initial question of what makes a game worth owning long term vs worth playing on location vs short term ownership in their opinion. I guess I didn’t word my question and tittle correctly. Just over the months I been hearing people on various outlets saying a game is good but not worth owning. I wasn’t particularly looking for advice on what games to buy as there’s enough for me to want at this moment. Was more asking if deep code was what separates a game from just good to all time classic.. It’s on me for not correctly articulating my question.

#61 1 year ago

I'm not getting why the OP has downvotes.

#62 1 year ago

Go back to CrazyLevis post. Said it all if you are looking for the answer, which there isn’t one.

#63 1 year ago
    Quoted from JBtheAVguy:

I'm not getting why the OP has downvotes.

Same kind of question is asked time and again and people don't like giving the same responses over and over again to the same threads over and over again. Just my guess though.

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoachBacca:

Same kind of question is asked time and again and people don't like giving the same responses over and over again to the same threads over and over again. Just my guess though.

Exactly on point.

#65 1 year ago

Really is all he does. On almost every thread I’ve seen him in he’s been giving downvotes!

Quoted from vdojaq:

Hey PlungerHead....... what is the issue?

#66 1 year ago

White Water was the second game in our collection. Still the most played and most liked!
    Great interaction, art, flow, and shots. I don’t play for long on location a couple of bucks and I’m done. I’d rather save the money for my next acquisition.

#67 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jrotten:

Go back to CrazyLevis post. Said it all if you are looking for the answer, which there isn’t one.

OP just asked a simple question. Of course CrazyLevi has to show up with his passive aggressive BS.

Quoted from CoachBacca:

As if everyone here is required to know all of the previous posts. OP asks a question that's been asked previously and it's time to pig pile on top of him?

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from JBtheAVguy:

As if everyone here is required to know all of the previous posts. OP asks a question that's been asked previously and it's time to pig pile on top of him?

Chill man, didn't say I agreed with it. I agree with you completely but I have read enough post on here with people constantly posting links to other threads of the same title/premise with downvotes attached to the OP's first post. Just trying to answer the question you asked. I know that's exactly why he got one of the downvotes. Pinside can be brutal.

#69 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoachBacca:

Chill man, didn't say I agreed with it. I agree with you completely but I have read enough post on here with people constantly posting links to other threads of the same title/premise with downvotes attached to the OP's first post. Just trying to answer the question you asked. I know that's exactly why he got one of the downvotes. Pinside can be brutal.

I'm not lashing out at you and I realize where you are coming from. My point is exactly as you started. To the downvoters....chill

#70 1 year ago

Down/Up voting was the worst thing to happen to pinside which is generally an awesome website.

#71 1 year ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

Down/Up voting was the worst thing to happen to pinside which is generally an awesome website.

Couldn’t resist voting on this one…

#72 1 year ago

I find some modern machines difficult to hear when I play them on location. I definitely like games with music and call-outs. I like hearing the machine tell me what to shoot for and talk back to me when I make a good shot.

My most recent 4 purchases have all been EM machines from the 1970’s. Fireball and El Dorado have staying power and replay ability for me. Simple goals. Difficult to master. Approachable again and again.

Resetting the drop targets on El Dorado never gets old. Nor does hearing the knocker when getting down a lit drop target for a special.

I can see how the Simpsons Pinball Party or Lord of the Rings would be great at home. Also the Jersey Jack machines or Total Nuclear Annihilation.

I think my dream collection would include a few of those, El Dorado, Fireball, and a Flash Gordon.

The classics are great because they are difficult and offer excellent one more game playability.

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

Just over the months I been hearing people on various outlets saying a game is good but not worth owning.

It's not really that complicated, would you want to keep playing it, over and over, every day/week for months to years?

There are plenty of games I'm happy to drop coins in on location or play if I find them somewhere, but I wouldn't want to own. That doesn't mean they suck, or are bad, or need to be dunked on, they're just not compelling on that level.

Depth isn't the reason. Simple games can be fun to own and play all the time. Deep games can be grindy and get old fast. There is no magic rule for what makes a game one or the other as far as owning or not.

#74 1 year ago

I say any game you can afford. If it gets old, sell it and get the next one you can afford.

#75 1 year ago

Love LotR but it's too long playing for me.

I picked JP as the code and shots are very interesting to me.

AFM is class and very very fun, never gets old.

#76 1 year ago

If you're thinking of only 1 or 2 machines, I feel the two main strategies are 1) buy modern "deep" machines that keep you challenged for a relatively long time or 2) buy simpler ruled machines with the expectation you'll be swapping out more frequently. Both valid approaches to keep your interest, just depends on the type of games you like.

I have 2 machines, Walking Dead and Jurassic Park Stern. I bought JP about 3 years ago thinking that I would trade it out after a year or so, but everytime I think about it - I can't do it. I'm just not tired of it yet. I was tempted by Godzilla but after playing it on location and then coming back home and firing up JP, I realized I would just stick with JP. TWD is bolted, I guess I'm a bit of a masochist - that game is so brutal, but so fun when you get a good game going.

#77 1 year ago

This is your chance to be one of the first to own the newest greatest pin ever made Galactic Tank Force!

#78 1 year ago

I think some of it has to do with your introduction to pinball. If you've been banging away at EM's in the 70's or 80's they kept you hooked because you'd never seen anything more advanced. If you got into pinball in the 2000's a lot of that old junk would seem terribly boring. I started flipping around 1980 and always liked early SS machines. EM's just couldn't scratch that itch. When multiball became popular I knew I'd want one some day.

I bought my Comet in 1996 because I wanted another machine after stupidly trading away a very nice Meteor my parents gave me for Christmas In 1983. Comet has a terribly shallow rule set but I've always enjoyed it and would never let it go. I decided I wanted a BK2K as far as a multiball machine went.

I recently got into EM's and appreciate them more than I ever would have in the past. I don't particularly care for crazy deep rule sets. Not to say they aren't great machines, I just don't care to own one, especially for the money. I still play them on location.

As others have said, you'll find what you like by playing a bunch. I recommend a large show like CAX or TPF. You'll find something you just can't walk away from.

#79 1 year ago

I am still trying to break into the hobby due to current space issues in my game room, but I am definitely going to have 3-4 machines in the end. In my case, I plan to stick with the older SS classics like EBD, FG, etc. The newests pin I would consider would be System11s. I don't need a deep ruleset to keep me engaged. I guess having only played pinball in the 70's and early 80's I never experienced deep rule sets or machines that return my ball after it drained. The term drain monster is odd to me when I read reviews because every machine back then, along with arcades, were drain monsters.

A game only lasted a few minutes unless you were very skilled and/or lucky and had a great ball run. The challenge of besting that high score on a punishing game is what keeps me coming back for more. I also don't want a game where a player is able to keep a game going for long periods. In an environment where people are hanging out having fun, that seems like it would be a drag watching someone play forever awaiting your turn or trying to explain a deep rule set to a novice who is probably a bit buzzed at the time. Maybe that will change once I start playing more, but I doubt it. I have modern video games that can suck you in for weeks but nothing will replace me going into the game room for a coupe rounds of Galaga, Ms Pac, Donkey Kong, etc. The games of my youth will never get old.

I don't foresee me every wanting a playfield with toys, mechs, etc. with deep rules. A quick 10-30 minute escape to a time long past in a world gone by is how I use my game room unless we are entertaining guests. Nostalgia is very strong and is often a means to keep my sanity at times. I definitely don't need more complexity - simple, challenging, and fun is fine for me and will keep me coming back for more.

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from RetroRambler:

I am still trying to break into the hobby due to current space issues in my game room, but I am definitely going to have 3-4 machines in the end. In my case, I plan to stick with the older SS classics like EBD, FG, etc. The newests pin I would consider would be System11s. I don't need a deep ruleset to keep me engaged. I guess having only played pinball in the 70's and early 80's I never experienced deep rule sets or machines that return my ball after it drained. The term drain monster is odd to me when I read reviews because every machine back then, along with arcades, were drain monsters.
    A game only lasted a few minutes unless you were very skilled and/or lucky and had a great ball run. The challenge of besting that high score on a punishing game is what keeps me coming back for more. I also don't want a game where a player is able to keep a game going for long periods. In an environment where people are hanging out having fun, that seems like it would be a drag watching someone play forever awaiting your turn or trying to explain a deep rule set to a novice who is probably a bit buzzed at the time. Maybe that will change once I start playing more, but I doubt it. I have modern video games that can suck you in for weeks but nothing will replace me going into the game room for a coupe rounds of Galaga, Ms Pac, Donkey Kong, etc. The games of my youth will never get old.
    I don't foresee me every wanting a playfield with toys, mechs, etc. with deep rules. A quick 10-30 minute escape to a time long past in a world gone by is how I use my game room unless we are entertaining guests. Nostalgia is very strong and is often a means to keep my sanity at times. I definitely don't need more complexity, simple, challenging, and fun is fine for me.

Totally agree. There are so many great system 11 games. I don't want to own anything newer than a system 11 game. The one exception would be Fish Tails.

Last year at GSPF I played a Diner because I hadn't played one in about 20 years. I didn't enjoy it. The upper part of the playfield was too cluttered so I guess there's an exception to every rule.

#81 1 year ago

I know it's not for everyone .... but for me IMDN doesn't get old ever.
    Layout is awesome, code is solid and there is a lot to shot at. I like the music, but the callouts are just fantastic!

1 month later
    #82 12 months ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Any Elwin game ... Screw variety his games are far above the others in play ,code and artwork .The triple Lindy

If Keith Elwin pulled off a triple Lindy without even using a diving board ... then he truly is a genius. (I'm sure my comment won't get any respect )

#83 11 months ago

Okay, knowing this is a subjective question, and getting that the OP was looking for other pinsider's opinions, not the objective truth, here is my personal opinion:

My main goal right now is to get better at playing pinball on location and in leagues. Also being super limited in space, I'm limited to one or two machines in my house. That pretty much means that in order to best achieve my goals, I probably need to own at least one modern stern. Up until this point, I've owned an EM, which has made me good at some very specific difficult shots and skills, but really no good at any normal modern shots or being able to handle modes and rulesets of any kind, so I finally have one on the way.

In a perfect world, with a ton more space and money, I'd like a variety of game types, from different eras and styles. If we get another game that we somehow find a place to fit in, it's probably going to be a 90s/early-00s era SS. Also, with two young kids, I tend to lean towards fast games rather than long ones, though getting good at a game that I can play for 45min+ on a single play is a dream of mine, though one that is probably 5+ years away.

#84 11 months ago
    Quoted from thekiyote:

My main goal right now is to get better at playing pinball on location and in leagues. Also being super limited in space, I'm limited to one or two machines in my house.

I'm not sure what you're asking - the best modern Stern for a one-machine family collection? I think the consensus on that is either Deadpool or Godzilla. Good layouts with interesting mechanicals and not cluttered or fast or punishing, wide code with lots of different stuff to do, simple but helpful button powers, wizard modes that are within reach of a decent home player, overall fun vibe.

#85 11 months ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

I'm not sure what you're asking - the best modern Stern for a one-machine family collection? I think the consensus on that is either Deadpool or Godzilla. Good layouts with interesting mechanicals and not cluttered or fast or punishing, wide code with lots of different stuff to do, simple but helpful button powers, wizard modes that are within reach of a decent home player, overall fun vibe.

Not asking any question, I was answering the OP's question (which most people responded with "It depends on what you like" instead of answering it)

I do think both of those games are good contenders for a single home pin, though personally I like Godzilla a fair bit more than Deadpool. I WANT to like Deadpool a lot, but I just end up gravitating to other modern sterns more.

#86 11 months ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

Hi, I hear a lot about games people would want to own in a small collection of 1-7 games vs good game that they wouldn’t own but generally enjoy. I’m assuming this is based on code depth and general enjoyment by family and friends.
    Was wondering if there’s a general consensus of games that are great to own in the home and what your favorite pins for the home are (:

Good games to play on location but not own:

1. Games you enjoy shooting, but don't care for the theme
    2. Music pins where you don't like the band (sound is turned down)
    3. Anything you've never played before (try before you buy)

Good games to own:

1. Great shooters
    2. A theme you love
    3. Games with great mods
    4. Interesting code
    5. Whatever the wife/kids like

Your first pin (whatever it is) will help answer your question.

Personally, I would recommend Godzilla Pro as a first game.

Just remember nirvana can not be found in a single pin. You're going to need at least 3-4.

I bought my first pin 6 months ago. It was everything I thought it would be, and also a million things I never expected.

The best thing I did was to stop obsessing, and just buy the first one. But they are like Tribbles...

#87 11 months ago

I have a few modern Sterns and an older one or two, and I swear when people come over they just want to play Eight Ball Deluxe. I mean, cmon! Star Trek, JP Pre, Simpsons? nope, they just want a simple fun fast short game. I always join 'em!

#88 11 months ago

What other people have said - it depends on what you like.

We owned LoTR and I found it slow and boring. We now own AFM instead (which is a keeper). I’m trying to practice for leagues and tournaments, so have a wide variety of pins, including one modern Stern.

The pin that has stayed longest in our collection (which is small by US standards) is Fish Tales, as it is hard, fast and funny. Fast is essential with young kids. We also have an Alien Poker, Stern Godzilla, Creature from the Black Lagoon and are getting a TNA - so, some variety. I’m not a great pinball player and tend to obsessively practice individual shots in the hope of improving at league, so huge rules depth is pretty-much irrelevant to me.

My husband is a massive 90s B/W-era pin fan. He thinks it’s the best era of pinball, so we’re a mostly B/W collection. I tend to prefer 80s pins and ‘point-and-shoot’ titles, e.g. JP2, Alien Poker.

Also, we repair our own pins including complex technical faults that take multiple weekends to resolve. Our vintage pins break down pretty much constantly - we currently have two out of order.

So:

1. If you don’t like repairs, and don’t have a handy local pin-tech, you’re better off getting a modern Stern;
    2. There are several golden ages of pinball, so decide if you like the humour of the B/W era, the code depth of modern pins, or the simple fun and difficult shots of 80s pins;
    3. What is your aim in pinball? Do you like modding/repairing/restoration (so, older pins)? Do you just want to play a pseudo-video game with an appealing theme (e.g. a Stern music pin)? Do you fancy kicking back and relaxing with very long games (LoTR or a JJP)? Are you trying to improve your tournament play (both AFM and JP2 are good)? That will affect what you’re better off buying;
    4. Who will be playing your pins and what’s your family situation? Speaking from experience, you don’t want long-playing games in your front room with a toddler. Likewise, if you have a lot of casual players/friends and family who will play, don’t get a hard pin like JP2.

I’d play lots of stuff onsite and work out what works for you. This website, like many fan sites, is increasingly dominated by people who cream themselves over new pins. So, they will almost always recommend the latest titles and claim that you need deep code to enjoy pins in the home. You won’t see anyone here going “Well, in a contest between Led Zeppelin and Harlem Globetrotters, I’d pick Globetrotters”.

My experience is that the code thing simply isn’t true - I have happily practiced the same shot for hours, and competed on score. When we had Flash Gordon in the house, I played that more than anything else. Now, I largely play Fish Tales and - failing that - Creature and AFM. And that’s with Godzilla around (it takes too long to boot up).

#89 11 months ago

I don't know what's worse, this dumb ass thread or the people that type out paragraphs in response.

#90 11 months ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I don't know what's worse, this dumb ass thread or the people that type out paragraphs in response.

Coffee machine down again, gryz?

4 months later
    #91 6 months ago

Settlers of Catan (Catan): This game is a modern classic, known for its blend of strategy, negotiation, and resource management. It's relatively easy to learn and can be enjoyed by a wide range of players.

Ticket to Ride: This is a fantastic game for those who enjoy route-building and strategy. It's easy to teach, quick to play, and has a good balance of luck and skill.

Codenames: If you enjoy word games and deduction, Codenames is a fantastic party game that can be enjoyed by both casual and serious gamers.

Pandemic: If you're into cooperative games, Pandemic is a great choice. You work together to stop the outbreak of diseases, adding an element of teamwork to your gaming sessions.

Carcassonne: This tile-laying game is easy to pick up and offers a good mix of strategy and simplicity. It's great for families and casual gamers.

7 Wonders: If you're looking for a game that can accommodate a larger group, 7 Wonders is an excellent choice. It involves card drafting and strategy and scales well with player count.

Splendor: This game is a great introduction to engine-building mechanics and is known for its elegant simplicity.

Azul: A tile-laying game with beautiful components and straightforward rules, Azul is easy to learn but offers deep strategic choices.

Ticket to Ride: Europe: If you enjoy Ticket to Ride, the European version adds some new elements and strategies to keep things fresh.

Dominion: If you're into deck-building games, Dominion is a pioneer in the genre. It has a wide variety of expansion sets to keep the game interesting over time.

Added 7 months ago:

The charm of classic pinball machines lies in their accessibility and the nostalgia they evoke for many players. There are also tons of other interesting games, for example I found information on Jackpot City Casino Canada https://casinosanalyzer.ca/online-casinos/jackpotcitycasino.com and expect to win big ) They often have a lower barrier to entry in terms of understanding the rules, which makes them attractive for newcomers. Additionally, the shorter game duration can keep players engaged without the commitment required for some of the more complex modern pinball tables.

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-games-to-own-in-a-home/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.