(Topic ID: 189682)

Are your Best games sober or under an influence?

By Mbecker

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dudah
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are your Best games sober or under an influence?”

• Only play sober 8 votes
      7%
    • Almost always drinking/other 8 votes
      7%
    • A drink (or alternative) or two while I play 14 votes
      13%
    • I do both.. depends on the day 33 votes
      30%
    • I play better sober 24 votes
      22%
    • Play better not-quite sober 19 votes
      17%
    • Play better very un-sober 5 votes
      5%

(Multiple choice - 111 votes by 95 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2017-05-22-21-20-07-1 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 6 years ago

**note: double question poll, multiple answers are enabled**

Do you tend to drink and play, only play sober, or indulge in other activities and when are you playing your best? Any correlation?

I usually enjoy a few beers or whiskey while playing.. but health issues caused me to cease drinking for a while so I've had some comparison time. Best games ever on shadow and sopranos the other night.. maybe I play better sober? I always thought a beer helps keep things calm and in control. Of course the more I drink the more angry I get about sdtms and stupid drains-- and certainly performance drops off.

Curious as to how others usually play and what they enjoy and if they think their play is 'better'sober or after a drink or two?

#2 6 years ago

I only play sober but that is because I'm coming up on 10 years of sobriety

If I weren't sober, I'd imagine I would only play completely wasted.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from GhostThruster:

I only play sober but that is because I'm coming up on 10 years of sobriety
    If I weren't sober, I'd imagine I would only play completely wasted.

Nice job on 10 years man, I am impressed! Better to play sober than completely wasted!

#4 6 years ago

What is this "sober" you are talking about?

Flash Gordon when fully intoxicated or even slightly.

#5 6 years ago

Haha nice @o-din!

I do tend to think pinball and beer or whiskey do go together quite well. I can't imagine many tournament players are sneaking nips in the back hall between games though lol

#6 6 years ago
    #7 6 years ago

I tend to be drinking when I play. Usually starting off early I'm ok but notice when wasted for get about it. Not surprised by it to be honest and can't imagine anyone can play well completely wasted.

#8 6 years ago

I play best after a coffee.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

I play best after a coffee.

Ohhhh nice - hadn't even considered that as I usually play in afternoons or evenings. Yeah that makes sense though - might have to try that!

#10 6 years ago

I'm not sure, but I'm immediately going to conduct a two-week trial to find out. If the results are inconclusive, I'll repeat.

#11 6 years ago

You can play sober?
    Learn something new every day.

#12 6 years ago

I cant recall the last time I played sober......

#13 6 years ago

I can't recall the last time I wasn't high.....

#14 6 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#15 6 years ago

It's like darts. A few beers and you're nice and relaxed. You tend to take chances, have fun, and enjoy yourself.

A few more and that ball gets fuzzy.

#16 6 years ago

I am usually drinking when I play.

If I'm sober, especially in competition, I play too tight and can't hit a shot to save my life.

My best games are usually in the 2-3 beer range.

After that, my scores go consistently down hill, even if I don't feel like I'm getting drunk (that observation also functions as a cautionary note for driving under the influence, by the way).

I find a stimulant like a cup of coffee or Red Bull helps as well - it makes me more active with nudging, and I feel more connected to the game. Like alcohol, though, there's a sweet spot. If I have too much caffeine, my anxiety spikes and I lock up worse than when I'm sober.

currently, I consider my ideal competition prep as two vodka and Red Bulls. (Or a large coffee and two beers).

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

It's like darts. A few beers and you're nice and relaxed. You tend to take chances, have fun, and enjoy yourself.

Yeah I was thinking of the same comparison.. maybe pool too -- no wait, I'm terrible at pool all night sober to drunk

#18 6 years ago

I always have my medicine while playing because my games are sick!

Screenshot_2017-05-22-21-20-07-1 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-05-22-21-20-07-1 (resized).png

#19 6 years ago

I like playing brylcreem style....

#20 6 years ago

Pin gulps are to hold beer.
    Nuff said!

#21 6 years ago

I do both.. depends on the day

I have some great games at home drinking for sure, but playing in tourneys I'm never drinking because I have to drive home.

#22 6 years ago

i thought beer went well with everything other than driving?

#23 6 years ago

My best games have almost always been sober at home alone. My worst performances on league night have also been sober. My best guess is that drinking eases any competitive anxiety I may have.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Holding on to the sweet spot is the key,marijuana included.

#25 6 years ago

Sober but sometimes when the perfect mix of drink and chemicals come together I can put up a hell of a score.

#26 6 years ago

There is a fine line between the buzz that has you laser focused while playing and the buzz that has me thinking about life and what not during the game.

#27 6 years ago

It is just like my golf game. As I have a few my game gets better, but there is a cliff I never see the edge of. One drink to many and I completely fall off the edge of the cliff. It just happens so fast.

#28 6 years ago

Adderal works good

#29 6 years ago

...what is sober never heard of it lol

#30 6 years ago

When you look down and the flipper bat is up but the ball is headed down the outlane drain, you've had one too many.

#31 6 years ago

Best games are always when I actually don't have enough time to play a game. Have to leave to catch a flight, go to a wedding, pickup the kids, etc., that's when I just can't miss a shot if I tried.

#32 6 years ago

1-2 hits of weed, 1-2 beers for sipping and I get in the "stone zone"

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-games-sober-or-under-an-influence and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.