Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jimmyd044
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Let's vote on the best games by decade. I know this isn't how decades are normally defined but they will be for example 1980-1989 and so on. You can vote for all decades or only 1 or 2 if you like. I'll try my best to keep the tally. I hope to foster some discussion and maybe learn more about some games. For reference I'll list the top rated games by decade on pinside.

2010s - Metallica
2000s - LOTR
1990s - Medieval Madness
1980s - Elvira and the Party Monsters
1970s - Joker Poker EM
1960s - Kings and Queens by Gottlieb
1950s - Rocket by Williams
1940s - Humpty Dumpty

#2 3 years ago

AcDc premium
Tspp
TZ

#4 3 years ago

Should there be a difference between premium and pro? I was just going to lump them together.

#5 3 years ago

Tron LE

#6 3 years ago

Hey, Brett...I hate to go off topic here (although it's still kind of on topic), but WTF is THIS??? :

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/27719

Were you loaded or something when you posted this? I'm just disappointed because my absolute max was 500k and you listed it as "firm."

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hey, Brett...I hate to go off topic here (although it's still kind of on topic), but WTF is THIS??? :
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/27719
Were you loaded or something when you posted this? I'm just disappointed because my absolute max was 500k and you listed it as "firm."

I think the pinside ad fee pushed it beyond everyone's reach

#8 3 years ago

70's- WMS Grand Prix EM, ( only cause I have one )
80's- Earthshaker
90's- TZ
2000's- LOTR
2010's - Stern ST , especially the LE !

There is my votes, your may be different, sold by weight -not by volume, some settling may have occurred during shipping

JP

#9 3 years ago

This decade really has had a lot of good games and it's only half done. Iron Man, Avatar, WOZ, Tron, Metallica, AC/DC, GOT, FTH, AMH, X-Men, Star Trek, TWD

#10 3 years ago

10s: WOZ
00s: LOTR
90s: TZ
80s: EBD
70s: Future Spa

Haven't played enough EMs to get a grip on what's the best. I like a lot of them for different reasons.

#11 3 years ago

2010s TWD
2000s Ripley's
1990s CFTBL
1980s So many 80s games that I love this could change, Gottlieb Black Hole
1970s Stars, a game I own
1960s Paul Bunyan

#12 3 years ago

70's: Paragon
80's: EBD
90's: TAF
00's: TSPP
10's: AC/DC

#14 3 years ago

I'm gonna let pinside break ties. So right now the tallies are:

2010s Metallica
2000s Lord of the Rings
1990s Twilight Zone
1980s Eight Ball Deluxe
1970s four way tie
1960s Paul Bunyan

Quoted from DefaultGen:

Haven't played enough EMs to get a grip on what's the best. I like a lot of them for different reasons.

This kind of informal discussion so if you want to throw out a vote for something go ahead. It could be based on look or something you wish to have. I put best in the title but it could just be your favorite.

#15 3 years ago

Done too many times. Don't do it by decade, do it by CPU. Kind of hard to judge the early 80's Bally games like Fathom against the later 80's System-11 games like Taxi.

And with the WPC games taking over the 90's great System-11 games like Diner (1990) get lost. (Creech takes the 90s)

And in the 70's I have to put great EM games like Fireball against early SS games like Paragon.

And after LOTR took the crown the pinball world just went downhill.

#16 3 years ago

It's amazing how many people love TZ. I used to love watching the show but I don't get most of the references on the machine and shots are so tight it feels claustrophic. It's funny because I love Ripley's and at first glance the layout looks kind of similar and the shots are pretty tight on it.

Creature keeps growing on me though. I've never seen the movie but I love the dual theme of drive-in movies and the Creature film. The music is so catchy, I can hum it right now. The art is awesome and I love seeing the hologram.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Done too many times. Don't do it by decade, do it by CPU. Kind of hard to judge the early 80's Bally games like Fathom against the later 80's System-11 games like Taxi.
And with the WPC games taking over the 90's great System-11 games like Diner (1990) get lost. (Creech takes the 90s)
And in the 70's I have to put great EM games like Fireball against early SS games like Paragon.
And after LOTR took the crown the pinball world just went downhill.

This is just for fun so I would love for someone to pick Fathom over Taxi. I like the juxtaposition of early games with no ramps with games with multiple levels. Are they more fun? Does the fun outweigh the art and sound? State your opinion. I would like to hear it. Personally I think I would take Fathom over Taxi every time.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

This kind of informal discussion so if you want to throw out a vote for something go ahead. It could be based on look or something you wish to have. I put best in the title but it could just be your favorite.

I just find it really hard to rate EMs. There are some really interesting ones like Slick Chick and a few complete duds like Big Ben. For the most part, I like almost all of them though. My favorites are from the 70s and probably not going to beat my top Ballys for that era though. If I had to pick:

60s: Slick Chick
50s: World Beauties I guess? Have played a lot of good ones, hard to remember.
40s: Lady Robin Hood? Haven't played many.
30s: World's Fair Jigsaw

#19 3 years ago

80's: EBD
90's: SS or MM
00's: LOTR
10's: TWD Pre/LE

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

It's amazing how many people love TZ. I used to love watching the show but I don't get most of the references on the machine and shots are so tight it feels claustrophic. It's funny because I love Ripley's and at first glance the layout looks kind of similar and the shots are pretty tight on it.
Creature keeps growing on me though. I've never seen the movie but I love the dual theme of drive-in movies and the Creature film. The music is so catchy, I can hum it right now. The art is awesome and I love seeing the hologram.

I hated TZ when I first played it. After a while you get it and get into it. The excitement of the sound effects and animations for Jackpot, Powerball, Defeating the Power . . . Just awesome.

You have Creech pegged. It is less about the movie than about the Drive In Movie experience. Music, Snackbar, making out and all in 3-D.

I put Creech and WH2O over the MM, AFM, MB, TZ group, but they are not far behind. And I have owned them all over 10 years so ownership bias is moot.

I put Diner over Taxi but Diner is technically 1990. Fathom is fun, creative, frustrating at times but always a totally beautiful game. It shows how a creative use of layout does not require ramps. The upper inline drops to block a saucer with the long one-way gate to drop through is brilliant. But games like Taxi win to me since there are more things to go for and the humor involed. You can be working on the main task of the passengers and then get sidetracked into a heart pumping multiball that can make you go for the jackpot so hard you usually risk the whole round falling apart in panic.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

It's funny because I love Ripley's and at first glance the layout looks kind of similar and the shots are pretty tight on it.

It looks like all the others and they all play totally diff'rent.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It looks like all the others and they all play totally diff'rent.

Do you mean all Lawlor pins?

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Do you mean all Lawlor pins?

Yeah. Well not all of them but his standard layout yeah. I have a WW/RBION/TZ (and just got rid of a NGG) and they've never felt that similar to me.

#24 3 years ago

90's for sure TAF! Still tops in my book!

#25 3 years ago

10's-AC/DC
00's-TSPP
90's-TZ
80's-Flash Gordon
70's-Fireball
60's-CrossTown
50's(Still need to play more of the 50's and earlier games)-Rocket (Williams)
40's(as above)-Lady Robin Hood (Gott)
30's-World Fair (Rock-Ola)

I can't remember if I have played any games earlier than that...

#26 3 years ago

40's-King Arthur
50's-Rocket
60's-Melody
70's-Lucky Hand
80's-Haunted House
90's-Scared Stiff
00's-Spiderman
10's-WoZ

#27 3 years ago

Updated tally:

2010s AC/DC
2000s Simpsons Pinball Party
1990s Twilight Zone
1980s Eight Ball Deluxe
1970s 6 way tie
1960s 4 way tie
1950s Rocket
1940s 2 way tie
1930s World's Fair Jigsaw

The 80s and 70s seem to have a variety of choices. There seem to be no obvious top picks.

#28 3 years ago

10's AC/DC
90's Monster Bash
80's EBD

#30 3 years ago

10 - ACDC
00 - LOTR
90 - MM

#31 3 years ago

I'm not qualified to rate pins before the 60s or really after the 90s but here goes:
Found this really hard to choose just one... maybe by year would be better

40's - Humpty Dumpty
50's - Knock Down
60's - Lucky Strike (Slick Chick very close 2nd)
70's - Power Play cuz I got one (but impossible to choose just one)
80's - Impossible to choose just one again but ... High Speed
90's thru 10's - haven't played any

#32 3 years ago

Too many good ones from the 50's through the 70's from Bally, Williams and Gottlieb. The well known ones get their respect, but the more obscure titles can be just as good or better. You just don't have many seeking and playing them. Of the pins I've played...
50's-Criss Cross
60's-Buckaroo ties with World Fair
70's-Surf Champ (Atlantis#2 but I think it just humiliates me too much)

#33 3 years ago

40's-?
50's-Balls-a-Poppin (totally amazing game with 9-ball multiball, from 1956)
60's-Skyline (but many pins I have not tried)
70's-Fireball
80's-Centaur
90's-TZ
00's-LOTR
10's-Wooly or ACDC Prem

#34 3 years ago

70's Joker Poker
80's Black Knight
90's Medieval Madness
00's Lord of the Rings
10's AC/DC Premium/LE

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 29.99
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 150.00
Various Other Swag
Test item Out of stock
Pinside Shop
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 60.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
$ 98.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside