(Topic ID: 96046)

Best game to buy if you love ramp shots???

By Blake

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 86 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Billy16
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF7779.jpg
airbornepf.jpg
xenon_9.jpg
xenon_10.jpg
20131009_181721.jpg
image-1.jpg
image-718.jpg
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 9 years ago

Stern Star Trek

#102 9 years ago

BSD has my favorite ramp shot. You could find one in the 2k range and I think it's a better game than most of the games listed here at that price point.

#103 9 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic has terrific ramps that are crazy fast and combo together really nicely. Hitting them over and over feels great. They also combo seamlessly with what must be the fastest orbit shots in pinball.

#104 9 years ago

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the flintstones.
Well not totally surprised because for some reason people like to bash the game solely because of the translite.
But when it comes to ramps it's one of the most innovative and can be found for around $1900-$2800 depending on condition.

#105 9 years ago

If you love ramp shots... The CBW is the best thing for ya. The call outs wont shut up about how great it is to "hit that ramp".

Hahaha

I loved CBW in my college years... Looked forward to it on TPA... And now it just doesnt stand up...

#106 9 years ago

I like Shadow, MM and Metallica. The ramp shots are very satisfying. MM basically because of sound and lights. Others for gameplay and difficulty. Bigfoot whirlpool as well as CFTBL whirlpool ramps also fun to hit.

LUL Radical surely a game you must like ramps on.

#107 9 years ago

IMO, in that price range, you can't go wrong with NF, T3 or JD as far as ramp shots are concerned.

NF has the jump shot. T3 has the B ramp shot. JD has 4 fast ramps, one of which can be reached by 3 different flippers.

DM has lots of fun ramps as well, but I find this pin to play a tad abnormally. Probably just a personal thing, great theme though.

JM seems like it would be a good option as well with its high ball speed, but I don't have enough experience with it to endorse it specifically.

I've bought a T3 and a JD in your price range in the last few months, and that's in Canada where prices are typically a few hundred higher. A NF sold here twice recently in that range as well.

Patience and you'll find you one of these high value games at ~2k.

#108 9 years ago

How about that Dirty Harry for $2K that just got posted you know where?

It "only" has a right ramp that returns to the left flipper and a side ramp that returns to the right flipper, but they're both fun and fairly challenging shots. I have a feeling you might be happier with a more traditional fan layout where you can loop from left ramp to right ramp and etc., but this one might be worth considering.

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

How about that Dirty Harry for $2K that just got posted you know where?

DH is an awesome game. Those ramps are no slouches either.

#110 9 years ago

Don't see the ad?
Blake

#111 9 years ago

Judge Dredd is the craziest ramp and loop game I have ever played... there are not many games where I even hit all the loops and ramps... 8 in total if i remember right... friggin sweet ramp game

#113 9 years ago

Mentioned earlier is Party Zone with those thin, "ball balances on it" ramps. the right one has two different paths into the entrance for different functions (cosmic cottage or robotic comic). The left one "ignites" the rocket engine (a red flasher) as you pass under it, passes through the back wall of the game, and ejects down a winding path to the flipper. The game can be annoying however (the talking head introduces himself at the start of every game - if it were a known, licensed character he wouldn't have to do so). And replacements for the thin ramps are impossible to find. Should be easy to get one for under $2K.

And then there is Cue Ball Wizard - only one ramp but factors in to most of the 6 modes, is the "super jackpot" target, and the game frequently tells you "you sure need that ramp shot".

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

#114 9 years ago

Blake - I think I have an idea of what you like. If you are like me, then you like lots of long, snaky, windy ball paths, with a long entrance and long return travel. There are games with ramps that tend to be very straight, like Stern Star Trek (which I own and love, but not for its ramp action) or Johnny Mnemonic which, to me, do not win awards for best ramps. Also, loops don't count.

Unfortunately, the machine that best fits this description is White Water, which is easily a $4k machine in some parts. You may have to bend the rules of what constitutes a ramp to get the budget under $2k.

Judge Dredd, for example, really only has 3 "official" ramps, one of which is very hard to hit and has such a short entrey that it is hard to call it a ramp. However, the pop-up hole at the upper right corner of the playfield acts very quickly and puts the ball onto a wire-form back to the left inlane. It pops up quicly enough that it feels almost like a ramp. This machine might be called "3.5" ramps.

No Fear also only has 3 "official" ramps, although one of the ramps splits off into two possible paths. This might be another "3.5" ramps game.

Here's something interesting about both Judge Dredd and No Fear. Neither have pop bumpers! It seems that, in many cases, if you want more ramps, you start running out of space for other things, like pop bumpers. Even Demolition Man only has space for 2 pop bumpers. You may want to think about if this sort of compromise is something you would accept.

Or you just spring for an "A" game which manages to squeeze everything in.

11 months later
#115 8 years ago

I will say it again Goldeneye !

3 ramp shots.

Great flow.

and James Bond !

is there really anything else

#116 8 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Blake - I think I have an idea of what you like. If you are like me, then you like lots of long, snaky, windy ball paths, with a long entrance and long return travel. There are games with ramps that tend to be very straight, like Stern Star Trek (which I own and love, but not for its ramp action) or Johnny Mnemonic which, to me, do not win awards for best ramps. Also, loops don't count.
Unfortunately, the machine that best fits this description is White Water, which is easily a $4k machine in some parts. You may have to bend the rules of what constitutes a ramp to get the budget under $2k.
Judge Dredd, for example, really only has 3 "official" ramps, one of which is very hard to hit and has such a short entrey that it is hard to call it a ramp. However, the pop-up hole at the upper right corner of the playfield acts very quickly and puts the ball onto a wire-form back to the left inlane. It pops up quicly enough that it feels almost like a ramp. This machine might be called "3.5" ramps.
No Fear also only has 3 "official" ramps, although one of the ramps splits off into two possible paths. This might be another "3.5" ramps game.
Here's something interesting about both Judge Dredd and No Fear. Neither have pop bumpers! It seems that, in many cases, if you want more ramps, you start running out of space for other things, like pop bumpers. Even Demolition Man only has space for 2 pop bumpers. You may want to think about if this sort of compromise is something you would accept.
Or you just spring for an "A" game which manages to squeeze everything in.

No, Dredd has 4 "official" ramps : Stakeout, Air Raid, Blackout, and the main left ramp. The VUK is fast as you said, so it's *almost* 5!

#117 8 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

I will say it again Goldeneye !
3 ramp shots.
Great flow.
and James Bond !
is there really anything else

I'm going to go on a limb and say 4 Ramps as the jump ramp comes out to make the satellite.

#118 8 years ago

Roller coaster tycoon

#119 8 years ago
Quoted from ssbodyman:

For cheap fun with ramps check out ID4

Definitely ID4!

#120 8 years ago

Batman Forever has 4 ramps too...

#121 8 years ago

20131009_181721.jpg20131009_181721.jpg

#122 8 years ago

Radical has tons of ramps very underated game

#123 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I'm going to go on a limb and say 4 Ramps as the jump ramp comes out to make the satellite.

agreed i stand corrected !

#124 8 years ago

Unfortunately, few of the mentioned games are under $2k. NBAFB has 4 ramps, is fun IMO, and can be had for under $2k all day.

#125 8 years ago

I like NBAFB

#126 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

Admittedly, I really don't like F-14 Tomcat, but that machine has ramps and stuff going on all over the place. It's WAY under $2K too. Give it a look on YouTube.

YOU CANT HIT ANY OF THE RAMPS ON F14. THEY ARE ALL JUST DELIVERY VEHICLES FOR BALL LOCKS WHICH KINDA SUCKS. THATS WHY I SOLD MINE

#127 8 years ago

T3 and another vote for Johnny Mnemonic : can confirm both in my collection.

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Unfortunately, few of the mentioned games are under $2k.

Well to be fair, the request for under 2k was a year ago. Maybe the OP has come into some cash since then

#129 8 years ago

I'm surpised no one has said Hook. That wind coaster shot is so much fun.

#130 8 years ago
Quoted from charliebrown2417:

I'm surpised no one has said Hook. That wind coaster shot is so much fun.

Agree!

#131 8 years ago

And what about the first pinball with ramp I've ever played? XENON!!!!

xenon_9.jpgxenon_9.jpgxenon_10.jpgxenon_10.jpg

#132 8 years ago

I love AC/DC. you can hit either ramps with backhands, great speed and flow until you light the cannon to fire.

#133 8 years ago

What about Airborne?

airbornepf.jpgairbornepf.jpg

DSCF7779.jpgDSCF7779.jpg

4 years later
#134 3 years ago

Just to update..
Jurassic Park stern, Iron Maiden
Don’t know if NGG has been mentioned.

What is the best ramp design in your opinion? I’m thinking to whirpool ramp but i’m sure there are others great ramp design that make them unique.

2 weeks later
#135 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Just to update..
Jurassic Park stern, Iron Maiden
Don’t know if NGG has been mentioned.
What is the best ramp design in your opinion? I’m thinking to whirpool ramp but i’m sure there are others great ramp design that make them unique.

Would I get more luck if i ask what are some great games with ramp diverter?

#136 3 years ago

Demolition Man... and I just happen to have one I’d be willing to part with if you’re so inclined

#137 3 years ago

Looking at and comparing then and now prices in this thread it looks like I got into this hobby about four years too late.

#138 3 years ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

Looking at and comparing then and now prices in this thread it looks like I got into this hobby about four years too late.

yeah, people on here have lost their damn minds. keep checking local sites, just picked up a huo world poker tour yesterday for $2300, so deals can be found.

#139 3 years ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

Well...4 years...and 10 years before it was even cheaper..but it is not the point of this thread

Games with ramp diverters I know:
MM
Shadow
BBB
TOTAN

Any else?

#140 3 years ago

MM
Shadow
BBB
TOTAN
Any else?

Mousin' Around

#141 3 years ago

Well...4 years...and 10 years before it was even cheaper..but it is not the point of this thread
MM
Shadow
BBB
TOTAN
Any else?

World Cup Soccer, STTNG. WhiteWater, Whirlwind

#142 3 years ago

TWD has some of the smoothest, longest, satisfying ramps ever.

#143 3 years ago

MM
Shadow
BBB
TOTAN
Any else?

I’m sure there are tons more.

-DE JP ramp diverts to either inlane.

-TWD premium/LE has a diverter on the right ramp for the crossbow.

-HS2 has one that puts the ball in the supercharger.

-BSD has one for the castle lock.

#144 3 years ago

Fish Tales - when you get in the flow it’s hard not to smile.

#145 3 years ago

I really miss diverters in games. I enjoy Spider-Man, Star Trek Stern as great flow games With ramps. Also Indianapolis 500 is a good one.

#146 3 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I’m sure there are tons more.
-DE JP ramp diverts to either inlane.
-TWD premium/LE has a diverter on the right ramp for the crossbow.
-HS2 has one that puts the ball in the supercharger.
-BSD has one for the castle lock.

Yep I own the TWD and forgot to mention the magnet diverter for crossbow

TBL also gets one for lock if i’m not wrong

#147 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

World Cup Soccer, STTNG. WhiteWater, Whirlwind

w2o gets a ramp diverter or playfield diverter (on upper playfield)?

#148 3 years ago

w2o gets a ramp diverter or playfield diverter (on upper playfield)?

Upper from whirlpool to bigfoot ramp

#149 3 years ago

Dirty Harry has a cool diverter on the helicopter ramp.

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Dirty Harry has a cool diverter on the helicopter ramp.

Regarding pics of this table, is there one or 2 ramp diverters? One for each ramp

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 24.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
FlyLand Designs

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-game-to-buy-if-you-love-ramp-shots/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.