Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinplayerinva
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 17 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2125 (resized).JPG
IMG_3456 (resized).JPG
IMG_20170207_122623167 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170225_135928312 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
d53a9e36b8f65e9181e2adb1bca0d39a5e60e5ac (resized).jpg
72050bb43547c75896b6afa0c9b98815c9cf97d4 (resized).jpg
5dc05b7a6ad15582edb5e6b0ae20dc741757423c (resized).jpg
IMG_20160817_204400459_(resized).jpg
2014-10-17_10.44.23_(resized).jpg
2014-08-23_23.29.52_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160810_185125964_(resized).jpg
Current_Pin_Collection_5.23.2016_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160423_140152490_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160330_123426184_(resized).jpg
IMG_20131030_130904_013.jpg

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 3 years ago

Very biased here, but since it goes up to 1986 Pin Bot is a 1986 game. Pin Bot

#52 3 years ago

Fhatom is nice and funny

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

For about the first 10 years of my collection, all I had was Early SS Williams games. There are soo many great games from the era it is really hard to pick just one...hence why my collections just seems to keep growing. I can't seem to give any of them up! You have System 6 games like Firepower, Blackout, Scorpion, Algar, Gorgar... Then the system7s Black Knight, Solar Fire, Barracora, Warlok, Time Fantasy, Cosmic Gunfight, Star Light (I could name them all but you get where I am going!) System 9s (a bit easier cause there is only 3 basically) Space Shuttle, Sorcerer, Comet. System 11s like High Speed, Pin*Bot, F-14 Tomcat, Taxi...(again lots of choices here) Early Ballys, I am not as familiar with, but Fathom is a Great game! (Really need to get mine back together to take to some shows...) Stern's Star Gazer is one of my favorites...I guess it all just comes down to what you like...My suggestion would be go to some shows (if you are near Pittsburgh try to hit RePlayFX coming up the end of July, the PAPA facility has around 400 games to try so you could get a feel for what you like and would want to add to your collection) or find some collectors in your area and play some of the games you are thinking of, then when you find one that fits your qualifications then the hunt begins...
Good Luck with your hunt!
Phoebe

Great advice right there. You have one of the best collections in the world Phoebe. Just amazing.

#54 3 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe
Pin bot
Playboy
Strikes and Spares
Haunted House (not as much fun as the others)
Fathom

If I had to pick one, it would be Eight Ball Deluxe

8 months later
#55 3 years ago

Well it took a while but I finally found a couple of games. I bought a WNBJM several months ago as sort of a bridge the gap game and really have enjoyed it. So when I found these 2 games at TPF I decided they needed to come home with me

IMG_20160330_123426184_(resized).jpg

#56 3 years ago

Pinbot. <drops microphone>

#57 3 years ago

xenon and black knight, both games that were ahead of their time when released. Still great games today.

#58 3 years ago

Nice pick-up

I love the SS games. I have been having a lot of fun on my HH, but I also have it set up nice and hard

#59 3 years ago

Flash Gordon is great if you can find one, but I also enjoy Victory, Strikes 'n Spares, Paragon, and my Jet Spin. Is Centaur a 1980? If so, Centaur.

#60 3 years ago

I have an Eight Ball Deluxe that is going to get restored and will be in the lineup by late summer or so. After that Flash Gordon, Fathom, and Paragon are high on my want list. Probably will add one of those and I'll have a nice lineup of 4 79-81 games.

#61 3 years ago

Sorcerer gets my vote

#62 3 years ago

I played a Stern Stargazer for the first time recently and thought it was a fun game.

#63 3 years ago

Really loving my flash gordon. Its my favorite bally Ive had so far followed by skateball.

#64 3 years ago

EBD is just an awesome game. Its the only one of the bunch that I've owned but I think I made the right choice. It was down for a month recently while I replaced some boards but the time away made me realize how great the game really is. if it were as rare as Fathom the demand and prices would be through the roof. At one time I actually almost was going to sell it due to lack of space but this would be the last machine to leave.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from jkroeck25:

I played a Stern Stargazer for the first time recently and thought it was a fun game.

Oh no. It sucks. Seriously bad game play. You can read the reviews of Roger Sharpe in one of the coin meters. Just not fun If you can find an EBD go for it. Plus its a 1981 Bally. Just a better game.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Oh no. It sucks. Seriously bad game play.

It's snooze city

#67 3 years ago

Genesis
Mata hari
Silverball mania

2 weeks later
#68 3 years ago

My old school collection keeps growing

IMG_20160423_140152490_(resized).jpg

#69 3 years ago

Fireball 2 only 2600 made

3 weeks later
#70 3 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Is that the Embryon from this years TPF that was restored? I'm guessing by the topper it is likely.

#71 3 years ago

Old school Bally. Not too bad to work on. Fireball Classic or Fireball II, Flash Gordon, Eight Ball Deluxe, Medusa, Frontier, etc. Can't go wrong w/any of them really.

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I'll second this..... Haunted House is awesome. A completely different change of pace compared to your other machines. Lots of shots on this game.

why not go for Black Hole instead? much better game than Haunted House. it talks, it has multiball, and it actually has tension on the lower playfield since you can potentially lose your ball down there (or score TONS of points if you know how to stack the bonus multipliers and gravity multipliers). HH has nice cab art and translite but other than that ... not sure what the appeal is.

#73 3 years ago

Taxi Commrade

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

why not go for Black Hole instead?

I like the haunted house theme better, but agree BH is the better game.
BH them is great too so win-win

#75 3 years ago

Grand Lizard, Volcano, Medusa and Cybernaut are my votes

#76 3 years ago

Taxi came out in 1988.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Is that the Embryon from this years TPF that was restored? I'm guessing by the topper it is likely.

Yes, I purchased it from Keith Holbrook at the show.

#78 3 years ago

I am a heavy Bally SS fan.
Had about 25 come and go, said I'd never sell some and have ended up selling.
Flash Gordon always remains.
That's my vote!

But you cannot go wrong with EBDLX, Centaur, Paragon, Mata Hari, Fathom, Frontier, or Skateball either.
So much excellent old school out there - it's what makes pinball great.

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

That is just gorgeous!

Congratulations on seeing the light.
Whole lotta pinball out there prior to High Speed/1986 (Whoa Nelly throw in is a nice touch).

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Yes, I purchased it from Keith Holbrook at the show.

He does fantastic work, congratulations on that nice score. Very reasonably priced. I felt very privileged to play that Embryon and Fathom in his both at TPF....will most likely never play examples that nice ever again, unless he does one for me.

#81 3 years ago

Another vote for Eight Ball Deluxe.

#82 3 years ago

Bally Kiss all day long!
EBD
Harlem Globtrotters

#83 3 years ago

He does fantastic work, congratulations on that nice score. Very reasonably priced. I felt very privileged to play that Embryon and Fathom in his both at TPF....will most likely never play examples that nice ever again, unless he does one for me.

Both were super nice games and I was extremely lucky to get the embryon for the price I did. He's got my EBD right now for restore, can't wait to get it back. I'll bring him my Fathom when I come to get the EBD.

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Both were super nice games and I was extremely lucky to get the embryon for the price I did. He's got my EBD right now for restore, can't wait to get it back. I'll bring him my Fathom when I come to get the EBD.

Wow....two titles way at the top of the want list. Very jealous. Congrats

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from Fishmugger:

Fireball 2 only 2600 made

While I respect your opinion of this game, I have to disagree. There are at least 30 machines that are better than FBII... And what does the number produced have to do with the OP's original question? If anything, rarity hurts the opinion that a machine is "the greatest" or "the best", when it sold so poorly.

Please allow for your favorite machine to possibly NOT be the best pinball game ever made. I know, it's a shocker.

I also want to emphasize that the best game in 1975 (EM era) is likely not the best game in 1986. Pinball manufacturers were costantantly trying to one up each other with something new that had never been done before. Theme, gimmicks, art, sound, displays, overall presentation, the list goes on forever.

Personally, I would like the Pinside ratings to have a "BEST of each year" view. That would be sweet and much more telling about how a game matches up in it's historical pinball year.

It's not fair to lump TAF in with Harlem Globetrotters. I mean how do they have ANYTHING at all to do with each other, other than BOTH being 4 player pinball machines with 3 pop bumpers?

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I also want to emphasize that the best game in 1975 (EM era) is likely not the best game in 1986.

Exactly. It's hard to compare 1975 Gottlieb's Atlantis to 1986 Williams High Speed. Both great but such a world of difference.

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

It's not fair to lump TAF in with Harlem Globetrotters. I mean how do they have ANYTHING at all to do with each other, other than BOTH being 4 player pinball machines with 3 pop bumpers?

I don't think they even have that in common, thought TAF has 5 pops

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Please allow for your favorite machine to possibly NOT be the best pinball game ever made. I know, it's a shocker.

Oh no many more personal favorites please. And pretend you've never seen Pinball Top 100.

#89 3 years ago
Quoted from kursiv:

Oh no many more personal favorites please. And pretend you've never seen Pinball Top 100.

I haven't looked at it in 5 years. I ignore it all costs and redirected the website to point to google on my computer.

#90 3 years ago

Mata Hari
8 Ball Deluxe
Laser Cue

2 weeks later
#91 3 years ago

The 8 Ball Deluxe is hard to beat. Great rules, flow and game play. The Xenon is pretty to look at and great to hear (the voice!), but the game play is very average. Put me down for EBD.

Current_Pin_Collection_5.23.2016_(resized).jpg

#92 3 years ago

try Warlok
super rulesheet !!!

2 months later
#93 2 years ago

The obsession continues to grow

IMG_20160810_185125964_(resized).jpg

#94 2 years ago

Hope you have room to put that EBD in there too

#95 2 years ago

Hope you have room to put that EBD in there too

Another DMD may have to hit the road.

#96 2 years ago

EBD

#97 2 years ago

Yeah let's get serious here. The guy asked what sounded like a sincere question so he deserves to get the real answer.

From the era you have selected there really is only one option...................

"QUIT TALKING AND START CHALKING"!!!!

#98 2 years ago

That picture I posted is a great example of why so many people stick with incandescent bulbs in these games. Poor Fathom looks a little washed out compared to the other 3. Xenon has LED's in the GI but they are comet warm white which look a lot better then what is in Fathom. I'm going to have to change those out.

#99 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Best game from around 1975-1986?

That's a pretty narrow price range. Can't you spend more than $1986 (or less than $1975)?

#100 2 years ago

What? "no lion man" Swords of fury!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside