IMG_20160817_204400459_(resized).jpg
2014-10-17_10.44.23_(resized).jpg
2014-08-23_23.29.52_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160810_185125964_(resized).jpg
Current_Pin_Collection_5.23.2016_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160423_140152490_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160330_123426184_(resized).jpg
IMG_20131030_130904_013.jpg
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 8 years ago

Thinking about adding something different to my collection. I've always been a DmD guy and my oldest game is a 1992. I've been thinking about adding something from an older era with a completely different feel. I have looked at the top rated list and some games like Fathom jump out at me. What games would you recommend that would be a good change up from todays fast games but still has a decent rule set and will not get old to fast?

#2 8 years ago

I would have to say Cosmic Gunfight.

Best regards,

Tom

#3 8 years ago

Haunted House is sweet. Tons of Ballys from the era... Centaur, Paragon, Eight Ball Deluxe...

#4 8 years ago

Flash Gordon is pretty sweet....watch Bowen's tutorial video on papa.org

#5 8 years ago

Depends on what you like? Fast draining player's games? Spinners? Drops?

Personally I love the early 80's Bally's and Sterns like Flight 2000, Meteor, Nine Ball, Sea Witch, Embryon, Barracora. Also have mad love for Williams titles like Sorcerer, Black Knight, and High Speed.

Edit: Oh yeah, how could I forget Flash Gordon!

#6 8 years ago

Alien Poker ..... my only non-DMD game and its a load of fun. I would also put a shout out to High Speed for that mid 80's feel

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

Depends on what you like? Fast draining player's games? Spinners? Drops?
Edit: Oh yeah, how could I forget Flash Gordon!

Fast Draining: Yes
Inline Drop Targets: Yes
Spinners: Yes

Emperor Ming Awaits!

#8 8 years ago

Flash Gordon. My only non DMD.

#9 8 years ago

black knight

#10 8 years ago

1986 Pin*Bot.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

1986 Pin*Bot.

Can't argue with this. I'd keep mine if I weren't building funds for another game.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Haunted House is sweet

I'll second this..... Haunted House is awesome. A completely different change of pace compared to your other machines. Lots of shots on this game.

#14 8 years ago

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. I know someone in my area with a haunted house. I'll try to get over to his place and try it out sometime soon.

#15 8 years ago

Hopefully it has some pitch to it so you can appreciate it. With some decent pitch to it, it is really fast for having such a wide open main playfield. Those kick back targets can eat you up in a hurry, and I am embarrassed by the number of times I have lost a ball after it hits that lower pop bumper.

#16 8 years ago

Tie...Big Game and Flash.

--Luke

#17 8 years ago

Just find an early 80's Bally like Centaur, Eight Ball Deluxe. If you want to go cheaper than get a 1977 Bally Eight Ball that will play more like an EM but score solid state. A Bally Night Rider would also be a cheaper route.

#18 8 years ago

Flash Gordon! Under appreciated because it doesn't have multiball and is a licensed theme maybe? So good. Games like Fathom and Centaur are great, but have gotten way pricey. Flash Gordon can still be found for very reasonable prices, and frankly is more fun IMHO.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

If you want to go cheaper than get a 1977 Bally Eight Ball that will play more like an EM but score solid state.

Lots of enjoyment with this suggestion, I put many a quarter into 1 of those.

#20 8 years ago

Buy an em and don't look back.

#21 8 years ago

Gottlieb Spirit. Nothing like it from the era. Just (nearly) impossible to find.

#22 8 years ago

EBD - single ball
Black Knight - multiball

#23 8 years ago

Flash Gordon--brutally good game. Best Bally from the period, one of the best games ever. You will not be disappointed.

#24 8 years ago

Just look at my collection. There is about 50 of them that are excellent.

#25 8 years ago

All good recommendations, I second, starting with Flash Gordon as it is just a damn awesome pinball game. Then more Bally - Harlem Globetrotters or Paragon (nod to Paragon here), Eight Ball Deluxe, Centaur and Fathom - all titles that are mostly sought after and of course a few Williams like Blackout or Sorceror, then the Sterns - Nine Ball, Galaxy, Meteor, Flight 2000, Gottliebs - Genie, Amazing Spider Man, and Hulk (all games I own or owned - the Gottliebs). So much good stuff throughout the history of pinball to go with. I really want at least one EM, but space is a premium. If you really want a change of pace, grab something EM. I like Soccer/Super Soccer, Abra ca Dabra, 2001, Jacks Open, Atlantis, there are even more good EMs out there. Speaking of, I'm gonna quit typing and start playing.

#26 8 years ago

Centaur with Medusa as a close second, and Black Hole or Paragon as a third (adding a widebody for variety)

(not a big fan of Haunted house)

#27 8 years ago

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It's really cool to see so much passion for some of the older games that don't always get much love.

#28 8 years ago

Flash Gordon
Fathom
Medusa

#29 8 years ago

Try out Williams Flash (more than 19K made) or Bally Skateball (a straight up Flash copy). Either one is fun and affordable so you won't have a bunch of $$ tied up in case you don't like them. Also take a good look at an older EM game. They're a complete change of pace from the newer games (in a good way).

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

or Bally Skateball (a straight up Flash copy)

These are so hard to find, I know guys looking all over the country for good ones...

#31 8 years ago

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. EBD, FG, Big Game. Pick one.

#32 8 years ago

Harlem Globetrotters is a great, affordable game from this era.

#33 8 years ago

Medusa. I find haunted house boring

#34 8 years ago

Williams Flash is a great game, "King of flow" can't be beat. Bally Medusa is loaded with features. If you want a fast playing EM Williams Aztec is super fun. Flash and Aztec can be found relatively inexpensive.

#35 8 years ago

There are a ton of great options from that era. It will be hard to have just one.

I would not recommend Flash Gordon as the first one though. While I like the gameplay, design, art, and sound, it it a brutal game that will kick your butt and yield little. Watch the tutorial to see how a great player gets beat up for several games before having a decent one.

I think it belongs in a classic 80s collection, just not the first one.

#36 8 years ago

Forget electronics people. SURF CHAMP all the way!

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

I would not recommend Flash Gordon as the first one though. While I like the gameplay, design, art, and sound, it it a brutal game that will kick your butt and yield little. Watch the tutorial to see how a great player gets beat up for several games before having a decent one.

That's why it's so good! Kicks your ass, but you want to be beaten down again and again.

#38 8 years ago

Elektra or black hole.

#39 8 years ago

EBD or FG get both if you can. Then get a skateball and a fathom.

#42 8 years ago

I am not overly versed in the games of that time, but the best one that I've played is Medusa.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Forget electronics people. SURF CHAMP all the way!

You want 'Old School'? oldskool1969 has spoken. SC has to be the best pinball machine ever made, imho.

#44 8 years ago

No love for Space Shuttle? Well, maybe it's not "THE BEST" alongside some of the others, subjectively... But it definitely has that "just one more go" factor, and can kick your ass when you least expect it...

#45 8 years ago

Go Flash Gordon (like many others have said) or Paragon. If you're feeling adventurous, get a late EM

#46 8 years ago

Chaulk up another for Flash Gordon! Brutal but oh so fun!

1 week later
#47 8 years ago

Like many have said, this is a great pair to have in the collection!FG-Paragon.jpgFG-Paragon.jpg

#48 8 years ago

IMG_20131030_130904_013.jpgIMG_20131030_130904_013.jpg

Quoted from goingincirclez:No love for Space Shuttle? Well, maybe it's not "THE BEST" alongside some of the others, subjectively... But it definitely has that "just one more go" factor, and can kick your ass when you least expect it...

I must agree! To this day, this pin kicks my ass just as hard as AC/DC but without the added bling. Love my Space Shuttle! Tastefully simple, yet unrefined.

#49 8 years ago

For about the first 10 years of my collection, all I had was Early SS Williams games. There are soo many great games from the era it is really hard to pick just one...hence why my collections just seems to keep growing. I can't seem to give any of them up! You have System 6 games like Firepower, Blackout, Scorpion, Algar, Gorgar... Then the system7s Black Knight, Solar Fire, Barracora, Warlok, Time Fantasy, Cosmic Gunfight, Star Light (I could name them all but you get where I am going!) System 9s (a bit easier cause there is only 3 basically) Space Shuttle, Sorcerer, Comet. System 11s like High Speed, Pin*Bot, F-14 TomCat, Taxi...(again lots of choices here) Early Ballys, I am not as familiar with, but Fathom is a Great game! (Really need to get mine back together to take to some shows...) Stern's Star Gazer is one of my favorites...I guess it all just comes down to what you like...My suggestion would be go to some shows (if you are near Pittsburgh try to hit RePlayFX coming up the end of July, the PAPA facility has around 400 games to try so you could get a feel for what you like and would want to add to your collection) or find some collectors in your area and play some of the games you are thinking of, then when you find one that fits your qualifications then the hunt begins...
Good Luck with your hunt!

Phoebe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 179.00
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 179.00
$ 10.00
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-game-from-around-1975-1986 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.