Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Coz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 6 years ago

You ask a tough question, like which Doritos chip is best out of a bag. As I expected the answers are all over the place, because there really isn't any one game which will scratch the pinball itch for long. I'm surprised that you have a TWD as your only pin currently, because it can really punch in the family jewels. While I think of Medieval Madness as a good game for a single game collection, I suggest that you play a variety of pins at Pinball Hall of Fame or another similar place with a large selection and make your own decision.

From what I could tell viewing your profile, you've already let two recent Richie pins go, so maybe his style of play isn't what you like, so keep that in mind for the suggestions of SM, ST, AC/DC, etc.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

I live in nowheresville, kentucky. Not many pins around here. My favorite types of pins are "journey" type pins like LOTR and Indy, but sadly, I'm unable to afford such a machine. I play my TWD for hours upon hours and treat it like a baby, and I *love* it, but it's not really an adventure. Haha. Killing zombies is fun, though!

If you want an adventure then maybe Ripleys Believe It Or Not? They aren't too pricey and it does feel like you are on a quest.

#53 6 years ago

I had a Ridley's as my first and only pin for a good six months. Played it a ton every day... definitely has a lot to it and priced at a steal in today's market.

If I had 6k I'd find a nice Ripley's and a system 11 if space wasn't an issue.

#54 6 years ago

I'm actually not a huge fan of RBION, :/

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

You ask a tough question, like which Doritos chip is best out of a bag. As I expected the answers are all over the place, because there really isn't any one game which will scratch the pinball itch for long. I'm surprised that you have a TWD as your only pin currently, because it can really punch in the family jewels. While I think of Medieval Madness as a good game for a single game collection, I suggest that you play a variety of pins at Pinball Hall of Fame or another similar place with a large selection and make your own decision.
From what I could tell viewing your profile, you've already let two recent Richie pins go, so maybe his style of play isn't what you like, so keep that in mind for the suggestions of SM, ST, AC/DC, etc.

Honestly, I really miss both GOT and SW. I loved the relative simplicity and satisfaction of the shots paired with the deep rules.

I also enjoy games with average ball times of over 10 seconds. Ha!

#56 6 years ago

Whirlwind, then you might have cash for another.

#57 6 years ago

For a single game set-up, If I was choosing a more recent release, I would likely go with MET as it has a good balance of deep rules with fun toys, good flow and a wide variety of interesting shots.

For a 90s pin with tons of character, I think Monster Bash is very approachable for players of all levels. It has a timeless theme with awesome interactive toys; smooth, flowy shots and easy to follow but fun rules.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Honestly, I really miss both GOT and SW. I loved the relative simplicity and satisfaction of the shots paired with the deep rules.

I'm still trying to figure out missing Star Wars. As I recall, they shipped less than a month ago. Is there a reason it was with you such a short time? Buying, selling, and missing all within a month seems odd. I even looked to be sure it was the Stern one in your collection.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'm still trying to figure out missing Star Wars. As I recall, they shipped less than a month ago. Is there a reason it was with you such a short time? Buying, selling, and missing all within a month seems odd. I even looked to be sure it was the Stern one in your collection.

It can be summed up in 3 words. I'm a doofus.

#60 6 years ago

TSPP was my first game and is a great one pin collection. I find it deeper than LOTR in my opinion....

#61 6 years ago

Medieval Madness gets my vote but Wizard of Oz, Twilight Zone and Lord of the Rings are also excellent choices, in that order.

#62 6 years ago

Tz for classic and Woz for new school and depth

#63 6 years ago

Op, absolutely make sure when buying your first game that it's a game you're gonna to be able to move in a year or so. Especially with a one game collection, you are going to get bored quicker and you don't want to be stuck with a pin that is hard to sell when you've already fallen in love with a new pin to take its place.

#64 6 years ago

Good advice egbert52!

#65 6 years ago

Wasp, 2 pages of recommends and no mention of GB. Rightfully so.

Lot of good info in here, but I think ultimately the answer is you should figure out where you can put a 2nd pin in your house.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Wasp, 2 pages of recommends and no mention of GB. Rightfully so.
Lot of good info in here, but I think ultimately the answer is you should figure out where you can put a 2nd pin in your house.

Here's my thing with GB -- I and my entire family are all GB fanatics. I'm not dead set in stone on it, but I'm very much wanting one.

I have the room for another pin...it's finding the funds that are the problem.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Here's my thing with GB -- I and my entire family are all GB fanatics. I'm not dead set in stone on it, but I'm very much wanting one.

Be patient! There are other options in pinball besides Sterns from the last 2 years.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

I can definitely understand that. Theme can go a long way, and GB definitely looks and sounds good. If you do go that route, and the family is going to play, you may want to look into the lane guards and maybe center post. My GB plays super angry and I like it but my wife and daughter won't go anywhere near it as a result.

As for low funds, lots of older pins out there that are great fun. I recently picked up a Stars for about 1k and it's a blast.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

That's a game you really need to get some time on before bringing it in. It gets a lot of hype and a lot of hate at the same time. It's hard to know which to listen to, so you need to play it on your own and realize what it's like.

Oh, and obviously I'm a hater. Which is why I'm saying you should make up your own mind on the game.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

So based on this I'd say two of the following: FT, BSD, TS, JM, JP, and JD. My picks would be TS and BSD.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

So based on this I'd say two of the following: FT, BSD, TS, JM, JP, and JD. My picks would be TS and BSD.

I love both TS and BSD, so I wouldn't be opposed to either further than the quite linear style of BSD. But the call of Thir-r-r-r-r-r-r-r--r-r-r-r-rty million is great.

#72 6 years ago

Maybe get yourself a small collection of 5 or 6 EM's or early Solid State - that might last you a little longer. (Next best option if you can't move to Chicago and get that tester job at the Stern plant )

Seriously - maybe you wouldn't get burnt out on pins so fast if it wasn't one machine played non stop.

A small EM or early SS collection or mix, then rotate one in and out at a time to freshen things up.

#73 6 years ago
#74 6 years ago

For the money Elvis. No budget WOZ

#75 6 years ago

IM, BSD or Lord of the Rings

#76 6 years ago

I concur with all of the sentiment about a deep game, which is probably best for you given how quickly you blew through SW. To me, that description points to LoTR, TSPP, or maybe WoZ. If it were me, I'd go LoTR. TSPP is a great theme and game, but I think it suffers a little on the sound due to the age of the machine. WoZ is a spectacle, but feels too niche to me, and maybe out of budget. LoTR is deep, with great dots and sound; fits the bill perfectly. Whatever you get, GLWTB and enjoy!

#77 6 years ago

NGG.

Everything else is meh.

#78 6 years ago

***I see now that you've had a bunch of pins already so my post was not really on topic so I deleted it ****

#79 6 years ago

I think any pin gets boring over time. Its always good to mix it up, or have a couple pins that play different. A stop and go pin and flow pin combo? Maybe consider 2 older titles instead of modern day sterns? I have a 2 pin collection also... But ill probably max out 3.

If you like flow maybe checkout SR older games. Getway 2 + Road Show? Or worldcup.?

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Best game for a one pin collection?

Maybe if I had never owned any pins I could research and play different games and then finally choose just one.
But after spending years acquiring my favorites one will never be enough. (Cutting down to ten would be hard.)
My two personal favorites are MB and SS, but for a one pin only collection I would have to recommend AFM.

#81 6 years ago

Williams Indiana Jones ...... lots to do in that game

#82 6 years ago

Owners bias, but Shadow has a lot going for it. 9 shots (you could say it's 11 with the ramp diverters), plus one of the best upper playfields in pinball. The wizard mode is tough to get to for it's time. Beating the wizard mode could take you years to achieve. Slap in a color dmd and some mirror blades with the money you saved and enjoy!

Also I agree with the post above me. IJ is outstanding and one I would love to own someday.

#83 6 years ago

Don't have my WoZ yet so I'm not going there, I'd have to say Tspp by far, I love LOTR also but something about have 5 flippers and all the extra side modes are just terrific on Tspp.

Rulesheet https://www.gamefaqs.com/pinball/919758-the-simpsons-pinball-party/faqs/26419

#85 6 years ago

I had the same thought and I went with a game that I had played a bit, with a theme I loved and that was Williams IJ. Of course that 18 months and 6 pins ago. Skeeball is getting delivered in a week. Somebody help.

#86 6 years ago

My pick for a one pin collection would go to The Shadow, due to balanced scoring and interesting rule set.

The thing I like about Shadow is that there are many ways to score points, both on the way to the final battle (wizard mode) and just in normal gameplay (orbits, shadow loops, vengeance, super vengeance, battle for Kahn, Mongols, up to 7x combos, a secret laugh mode), the multiballs (if well played) can bring in big points, especially if you are able to lock the ball for double/triple jackpots, and hit the super jackpot for 100MM (then x2 or x3); there are four different multiballs in this pin.

The game is very well thought out, with many nuances, like additional points for hitting all the targets when defeating Khan, or following a Shadow loop from an orbit. There are many ways to play this table to get lots of points, and one doesn't dominate. Someone achieving final battle, can be beaten by someone dominating the vengeance mode (hitting rings and points, and this person can be beaten by someone playing shadow loops, and this person can be beaten by someone ELSE who kicks ass at final battle (it's a paper scissors rock loop). The game is very balanced and has that "one more game" factor.

In terms gameplay and design...the game boasts some of the best audio in pinball, a stylish, classy art deco design, 5 ball multiball if you can get to wizard mode, gold wireforms, ramps that you can control what flipper they arrive to making the game more interactive, a third flipper with 3-4 possible shots (always a plus in my book), a breakout style mini playfield (IMO even better than TZ's) and one of the coolest lock tricks around. The downside would be the backglass (but there is an alternate translite option). This is Brian Eddy at his best, making old school pinball, without having a central toy dominate the rule set (i.e. AFM and MM - both amazing games too).

I have a one pin collection too, guess what pin I own?

#87 6 years ago

I know I just started getting into this awesome hobby but I was pretty content with STTNG as my first and only pin for awhile.

#88 6 years ago

Why, the Multimorphic P3 system of course! One machine, many games. A P3 will never get old and they are shipping now to the first customers.

1 week later
#89 6 years ago

Thanks for all the recommendations, all.

I'm about to either gravitate towards a LOTR, Hobbit, TSPP, or Met, based on them. The hobbit is super sexy.

Or just use my extra funds and try to find an older sega/de/bally/williams, like JP, WCS, or Baywatch(!). I've put together another 2200 for exclusive pin usage, and will keep saving, I suppose. Trading upwards towards the above will kind of deplete this fund, of course, so I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to try to trade up, or just find a good even trade towards my GB and buy an older machine.

Who knows!

#90 6 years ago

There's always room for another pin...

#91 6 years ago

These highly recommended pins mentioned above make the pool to chose from for - a single pin collection imo (yes is answer to question about whether to use funds to trade up):

MM
AFM
TAF
TZ
LOTR
TSPP
SM
MET

Pick one, any one that's available or with whatever catches your eye like Hobbit. Buy it, play it and love it. Otherwise, sell it and buy another one on your shortlist. Time to be decisive.

#92 6 years ago

I can only tell you out my own experience which is limited. I own TSPP, Met, and T2. Once I brought Met in I don't think I have played T2. Met is the ultimate one more game and TSPP gives you that journey feeling. I also like LOTR and think that would be a great game. Good luck in your choice as it is a near impossible one.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I can only tell you out my own experience which is limited. I own TSPP, Met, and T2. Once I brought Met in I don't think I have played T2. Met is the ultimate one more game and TSPP gives you that journey feeling. I also like LOTR and think that would be a great game. Good luck in your choice as it is a near impossible one.

Thanks -- I'm working on trading my GB towards one of these games, then after that I'll be buying a second, cheaper game. That way the choice will be a little easier and I can just move forward from there. Why does this have to be so addicting?

#94 6 years ago

Consider Shadow for that second cheaper game. Definitely has that one more game appeal.

#95 6 years ago

I'd love to have a shadow. I'm not sure if consider it cheap, these days, though.

#96 6 years ago

Dump the GB/PRo and get a real one! A GB/PRe is what you want! A 1 pin collection is a oxymoron!

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Or just use my extra funds and try to find an older sega/de/bally/williams, like JP, WCS, or Baywatch(!). I've put together another 2200 for exclusive pin usage, and will keep saving, I suppose

I honestly think this is the way to go for you. You can purchase multiple titles and not have to rotate them as quickly. I would much rather have 3 good older titles instead of one newer Stern or JJP. JP, Shadow, BR, BSD, TFTC, FT, the list goes on and on.

#98 6 years ago

I love my TZ

#99 6 years ago

Mine would be LOTR right now. I haven't had that much time with any other 10 pins.

#100 6 years ago

the rate at which you are moving through the games makes me say just get whatever is available and not too expensive, play the heck out of it and move it along for the next gem that comes onto your radar... Then once you have gotten thru 24-36 games think back onto the ones that you miss the most then start working through that list again till you find your ultimate keeper - and by the way there is no such thing an an ultimate keeper...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
15,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pelzer, SC
$ 12.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Decals
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods
Decals
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 7.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Interactive
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 64.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods
Plastics
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-game-for-a-one-pin-collection/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.