Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Coz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

Hey all. I am a one pin collection fella (for now) and am curious as to what you guys think would be the best pin for that? Something with long lasting fun, and longevity.

#2 6 years ago

WoZ or TZ for me. Can you tell what kind of game I like playing? MM never gets old for me either.

#3 6 years ago

Whoa Nellie would get my vote as I'm mostly into EM's

#4 6 years ago

If I could only have one pin it would probably have to be LOTR. There should be no argument about the code being complete or not deep, great ball flow, satisfying shots, and excellent theme integration too.

#5 6 years ago

METALLICA pro or premium....

#6 6 years ago

You might want to consider Spiderman.

#7 6 years ago

I'd go Game of Thrones either LE or Prem. Lots of different ways to go after the game to mix things up. Still in production with a surprisingly low resale price.

#8 6 years ago

Start with TAF, ( the way I went)....not sure about pricing/ availability of these lately, but it wasn't the best selling pb machine of all time ( by a lot) for no reason....

#11 6 years ago

Visit large collections like those at PHoF, Banning, VFW, Lyons, and play your brains out. Watch other's play the games, and learn and observe. Give it a year or two of this, and then select a game you emotionally still like, and still would play as your #1 selection.

#12 6 years ago

There is no good answer to this, but there is a philosophy. And that is, all of them. In a single pin collection some games will last a long time, some will be there for a short time. But even the short ones are worth owning for a bit. There are some great games on your wish list. So just decide to own all of them... one at a time.

#13 6 years ago

Game of thrones

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

There is no good answer to this, but there is a philosophy. And that is, all of them. In a single pin collection some games will last a long time, some will be there for a short time. But even the short ones are worth owning for a bit. There are some great games on your wish list. So just decide to own all of them... one at a time.

IM WORKING ON IT. HAHA!!!

Thanks for the replies all. Sadly I live in an area with no collection of machines anywhere, so I have no way to just "try before I buy"

#15 6 years ago

This would come down to what your personal favorite game is.

For me it would be tough to decide. DMD games come and go. The one game I never seem to get tired of is Volley.

#16 6 years ago

Start with a game that you could easily resell or trade if needed - within your price range.

Of course, we all know "There can be only one" only works for Highlander! Start making room for pin #2 immediately

Also, consider if you want bumpers or don't need them. Drop targets? You get the idea.

Good luck!

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Of course, we all know "There can be only one" only works for Highlander! Start making room for pin #2 immediately

^^^What he said.

I had a wh2o as my only pin for awhile and was very happy with it. For what it's worth LOTR is an awesome game too, but if i had to get rid of one, it would probably go before wh2o.

#19 6 years ago

If I could only have one machine out of my entire collection, it would be TZ.

MM would be my second choice.

#20 6 years ago

Depends if you like complex games with lots of rules. Fishtales never seems to get old for me. I like fun, not rules or complexity.

#21 6 years ago

SM is a good choice. So is WOZ if you Can get past the theme.

Get something deep even if it's longer ball times. LOTR, SM, WOZ, DI?

If I only had one pin (and I only have two right now). It would be SMVE. I love the vault package, but original is fine too if you're into that. And if it gets too easy, you can remove the center drain post. Then, you can add lightning flippers to give it even a more difficulty level if need be. The rules really are built for brutal games (risk/reward with multipliers + not too deep in progressing). I've had mine 8 mos and really really like it; but you do seem to play more pinball than I

#22 6 years ago

Oh one other suggestion. FGY! If you like the theme, and don't mind the adult'esk humor around your kid (there's a setting to turn off adult language). But this game is comedy gold + some deep creative Keefer rules. I love it and the theme integration is one of the best. If you go this route, you need to make Stewie pinball harder in the settings and even may swap out the Stewie ball with an even smaller one. I think pinballlife has them?

#23 6 years ago

TSPP-- deep rule set makes it a long term challenge.

#24 6 years ago

For me it would be AFM origanl or remake it doesn't matter. I Have owned most of the A-list titles and this game is the complete package. You could go MM as well depending which theme appeals more.

LOTR is a great game and I can see why people suggest it. However for only one pin you need a game that is going to kick your arse sometimes. You don't want every game you play to be an hour long slog.

However if I was going to be limited to only one machine I think theme would also come into it a lot more.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

IM WORKING ON IT. HAHA!!!
Thanks for the replies all. Sadly I live in an area with no collection of machines anywhere, so I have no way to just "try before I buy"

Let us know what general are you live in. You would be surprised how people in the pinball community will open their homes and let you try their games. It's a good bunch of people.

#26 6 years ago

Also one suggest if you only going to have one pin. Don't skimp, make sure it either NIB or if secondhand that it is 100% working and all the boards electronics etc.. have been bullet proofed. It's okay to have a machine or two down in a collection with multiple games but it would suck if the only game you have is broken half the time

#27 6 years ago

LW3! just kidding... Cactus Canyon with continued. Why you ask... well for one it has Tribute! Tribute is a mode on the super skill shot wheel that allows you to play a sample of other machines like TAF, MB, CV, MM, AFM and a few more. Very cool! Especially if you have Pinball Prosound or Flipper Fidelity!

#28 6 years ago

This is entirely subjective.

What type of pin do you like to play?

For example, if you just want to have fun and flow for 10-15 minutes a day and don't want to learn a deep rule set, get a Judge Dredd. It's a wonderful pin that's just super fun and a value. Fun can trump deep, depending on your preferences.

That's just an example. There are tons of alternative answers (NIB, deep, 80s, "get this best it's the most expensive", "get this because it's ranked high on pinside"), many of which are not wrong

#29 6 years ago

Not my personal favorite but I would have to say TZ. There is a lot there and if part of the equation is completely working good example I think makes sense for this question. I personally like game with more flow..

#30 6 years ago

I live in nowheresville, kentucky. Not many pins around here. My favorite types of pins are "journey" type pins like LOTR and Indy, but sadly, I'm unable to afford such a machine. I play my TWD for hours upon hours and treat it like a baby, and I *love* it, but it's not really an adventure. Haha. Killing zombies is fun, though!

#31 6 years ago

MMR not journey based but hard enough to hold your interest for a long time.

#32 6 years ago

Honestly it would be really hard to have just one pin. I am wondering why only one, even if I lived in a small studio apartment I would get rid of a couch or extra dining table and add another pin.

If I only had room for one pin I would do what you are already doing, and that is buying some newer titles and rotating them frequently. You just went thru GOT, SW, and now TWD within what time frame? You are doing it right trading them like baseball cards. Keep rotating and you should not get bored, if you are trying to find a game that is a keeper in a one game collection I am afraid you are chasing a unicorn. Next up Aersomith or Spiderman VE- Good Luck!

#33 6 years ago

WOZ.

#34 6 years ago

Either TAF or GOT LE for me if I could only have a single game in my house (TWD, Met, XMen get an honorable mention).

#35 6 years ago

Metallica is my one pin...

#36 6 years ago

Wherever you are, spend the money and fly to a large pinball show and try out lots of games. Better yet, you might be able to buy a pin there and have it shipped back to you. Pinball is expensive and either way will cost some money. If you overpay for a pin you don't like it can cost you the price of going to a show. Especially if you are in Europe - flying there is cheap since everything is so close.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

I live in nowheresville, kentucky. Not many pins around here. My favorite types of pins are "journey" type pins like LOTR and Indy, but sadly, I'm unable to afford such a machine. I play my TWD for hours upon hours and treat it like a baby, and I *love* it, but it's not really an adventure. Haha. Killing zombies is fun, though!

You probably should have asked what pin is best for a one-pin collection that's under 5k, then. Putting that fiscal cap on it really limits the answers you would get. (I'd even have a tough time coming up with one that's under 5k and wouldn't get old fast.)

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

TSPP-- deep rule set makes it a long term challenge.

Here here.

#40 6 years ago

Swords of Fury

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You probably should have asked what pin is best for a one-pin collection that's under 5k, then. Putting that fiscal cap on it really limits the answers you would get. (I'd even have a tough time coming up with one that's under 5k and wouldn't get old fast.)

Fair enough. I have an upward limit of about 6100.

#42 6 years ago

6100.. That is plenty for a nice Tron, still the best total package I have ever played. Still gets by far the most play in my collection ..

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

MMR not journey based but hard enough to hold your interest for a long time.

How is Medeval Madness not journey based? getting to the wizard mode is about as journey based as any game I can recal not counting new JJP games. Brian Eddy and Keith Johnson both program games with a "do this then that" style.

I would have to wonder how much time you've spent on Medeval Madness or the remake of it.

To throw my option out there for the money you say you have maybe attack from mars or for a lot less money how about a revenge from mars? Rfm is easy enough for a marginal player to get to wizard mode and you can always flip it and get 100% of what you paid when you decide you e had enough.

If I could have only one pin and money wasn't an issue, Woz, Hobbit, or Dialed In have about the deepest rule set available. On a price point, these seem to pop up at decent prices shortly after release when someone who preordered and is disappointed decides to sell. The JJP games really blow away most other equally priced pinz.

Chris Kruger

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

You can get an LOTR or an SM for that. And you should!

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

You can get an LOTR or an SM for that. And you should!

Agreed, if I had to have just one, it would be SM or Wh20 or LOTR. I regret selling my spidey and as a one game collection, it would be perfect.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

This would come down to what your personal favorite game is.
For me it would be tough to decide. DMD games come and go. The one game I never seem to get tired of is Volley.

Funny that you say that. I have a friend with a SM, and a Volley. He plays Volley over SM 10-1

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Funny that you say that. I have a friend with a SM, and a Volley. He plays Volley over SM 10-1

Well, he must suck at SM then!! Just kidding.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Of the 3 you've owned, which did you like the most?

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Of the 3 you've owned, which did you like the most?

It's probably a toss up between GOT and SW. I really enjoy the flow.

That being said I really enjoy the difficulty of TWD and the shots there, too, but the shots on GOT and SW were just buttery smooth. The Arena ramp in TWD though is probably my favorite shot in all of pinball.

#50 6 years ago

tz or lotr are awesome.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement
Plastics
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 15.00
Playfields
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Playfields
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy
Hardware
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-game-for-a-one-pin-collection and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.