2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pacmanretro
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

As mentioned and asked a handful of times above... what's your budget? EM's from $100 fixer's, to SuperDuper LE's at $15,000. The Op's question is way too vague.
An open ended question like that, is as silly asking us Pinsiders; what's the best car to buy.

I kind of disagree with the idea that if you have a large bugdet, you should start out with a really expensive pin for your first. If you have a sky's the limit budget, what's wrong with starting out with a good solid inexpensive classic game? This way, you can see what the hobby is like, develop a sense of what you might want to focus on, and have plenty of headroom for repairs, mods or even a savings for game #2 or game #1s replacement.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

First pin people arn't usually willing to spend $5k+ on their first.

Unless you are only planning to get ONE pin. Then splurge away. Shortly after you will learn there is no such thing as only one pin - they get lonely fast....

I'd recommend a fun System 11. i think some of the best bang for your buck. Thats my 2 cents, but we no longer have the penny up here so i guess that rounds down to zero?

#53 2 years ago

Looking around bang/buck ,I now think that you should consider a Williams Space Shuttle.
There are a few with good prices here on Pinside that would easily entertain you for quite some time.
-Mike

#54 2 years ago

Lots of people chipping with great advice in to help the topic creator, it'd be nice to get some sort of response/feedback.

#55 2 years ago

After thinking about this for awhile, Diner is a great starter pin. There are some significantly satisfying shots (spinner, cup, skill shot, scoop) and there is a sort of game-play flow with objectives and then the dine time 12 million jackpot goal. Good ramps, fun humor, etc. Really a great pin. So I guess that echoes of "go for a system 11"...

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I kind of disagree with the idea that if you have a large bugdet, you should start out with a really expensive pin for your first. If you have a sky's the limit budget, what's wrong with starting out with a good solid inexpensive classic game? This way, you can see what the hobby is like, develop a sense of what you might want to focus on, and have plenty of headroom for repairs, mods or even a savings for game #2 or game #1s replacement.

I'm not making any suggestions to the OP. I have bought and sold nearly 200 games and can offer some great advice / suggestions. However, if the Op doesn't chime in with what is budget is... we can suggest 100's of games from $45 Zizzle to $15k Super LE. Just say'n

#57 2 years ago

Lots of great suggestions but where is the OP??!! Lol

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

Lots of great suggestions but where is the OP??!! Lol

LOL, absent more comments from the OP there isn't really any direction for this conversation to go other than all our personal base line ideas of what we liked when we were just starting out.

#59 2 years ago

haha 57 responses and crickets from the OP.

#60 2 years ago

Maybe OP is just lurking so I'll through out my experience. Many will disagree with this which is fine and I'm certainly not telling OP to purchase this machine, just telling my story which might help. I purchased my first pin 4 years ago, which was a TMNT. I had just finished my basement and wanted something for friends to compete on while watching the game. Being in my mid thirties, Turtles was an ideal theme for me. I did not realize at the time there were actual objectives to complete so once we fired up the game and played it I was hooked. What I liked about a game like this for a first pin was the rules were not overwhelming. I was able to cut my teeth on how to play and how to control the game without feeling like I had no idea what was going on. The game was good enough for me that I just sold it a coupe of weeks ago. TMNT is not the best game and might not be the game for you. However, I would suggest something with a theme that will hold your attention and rules that you can understand without reading through 15 pages to understand the game, and grow from there. Good luck with the search, it's half the fun.

#61 2 years ago

Sub $1000 - EM=Grand Prix, SS=Firepower
$1000-$1500 - Space Shuttle
$1500-$2000 - PinBot
$2000-$2500 - JP
$2500-$3000 - WCS
$3000-$4000 - Flintstones
$4000-$5000 - ST Pro, or perhaps an SM if you can find one
$5000 and up - Something NIB so you get a warranty, or maybe a HUO Hobbit

There, now we don't have to wait for OP's response on price range.

#62 2 years ago

Welcome Jaws72! There are plenty of machines out there if you know where to look!

As for a recommendation-look and see whats available in your price range and you find interesting locally! Youll start with 1, but youll probably end up owning more than 1!

WOW OP hasn't been seen for a whole day......lol

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

haha 57 responses and crickets from the OP.

I've always believed if you truly love your thread, you must set it free. An ethos adopted by the OP clearly!

#64 2 years ago

I started 3 years ago with a Lethal Weapon 3. It was inexpensive and gave me a good feel as to what it would take to maintain a pinball machine. It was a great machine to tinker with. Worst case scenario would have been that I turned around and sold it again in a year for the same I bought it for.

#65 2 years ago

To OP: You don't live very far (a few hours drive in several different directions) from quite a few locations that have really nice pins to play.

The only suggestion I have: Get in your car with some cash... find a location... and play the games. You'll undoubtedly find one or two that really speak to you.

Those are the games you should look to buy. If they fall outside of your price range, then get back on pinside and start asking which games are similar, play-wise. A lot of collectors have a decent sense of similar titles.

#66 2 years ago

Get one of each.

#67 2 years ago

I have a descent collection of games from 92 and up and generally speaking, people new to pinball gravitate to MM a lot. I think due to the easy to understand rules and the castle toy.

I would recommend, pending budget, that you get a game with easy to understand rules like MM, AFM, TAF, etc...

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Sub $1000 - EM=Grand Prix, SS=Firepower
$1000-$1500 - Space Shuttle
$1500-$2000 - PinBot
$2000-$2500 - JP
$2500-$3000 - WCS
$3000-$4000 - Flintstones
$4000-$5000 - ST Pro, or perhaps an SM if you can find one
$5000 and up - Something NIB so you get a warranty, or maybe a HUO Hobbit
There, now we don't have to wait for OP's response on price range.

Think we need The Getaway in there somewhere, that one always seems to be a crowd pleasure regardless of experience, age or gender.

#69 2 years ago

Getaway is a great choice. Plenty of them, inexpensive, great theme, always a market for it for you to flip. Great rules.

#70 2 years ago

OP's post in this thread was his only post ever on Pinside. He logged in today but formed his account the day he posted this thread. He probably can't find his own thread.

#71 2 years ago

Maybe he got his answers, and he's in and out!? Passing through Pinside like the wind.

#72 2 years ago

I Pmed him with a link to come chat with us. Can't believe he's not on checking it like every 5 minutes like the rest of us. Haha

#73 2 years ago

I was looking at around 2000 or less. Have some background with pc repair. I have been to Pinfest in Allentown a few years. I would really like pinbot, but unable to find.
I went and looked at an F14 Tomcat, and am going to look at a Jurassic Park. If I can swing both for under 3500, is this good? The F14 is 1400, works, but needs just a little work(light out, flipper sticks, missing spinner) .
Are both of these reliable machines? What are your thoughts? Thanks to everyone for their input.

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaws72:

I went and looked at an F14 Tomcat, and am going to look at a Jurassic Park. If I can swing both for under 3500, is this good? The F14 is 1400, works, but needs just a little work(light out, flipper sticks, missing spinner) .

This would a great start imo. Any machine can be reliable. Just give the games a good look over or maybe bring along a willing pinsider will to help look them over with you.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaws72:

I was looking at around 2000 or less. Have some background with pc repair. I have been to Pinfest in Allentown a few years. I would really like pinbot, but unable to find.
Are both of these reliable machines? What are your thoughts? Thanks to everyone for their input.

Would you be open for a B grade pin for $3,000-$3,500? Like Congo, Getaway, Shadow or World Cup Soccer?

#76 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaws72:

I went and looked at an F14 Tomcat, and am going to look at a Jurassic Park.

Those are both respected games. Great start, and if they are under $3,500 combined and you are able to fix the F14 you wouldn't be in danger of losing money when/if you wanted to sell them. As Chuck says, see if maybe a willing Pinsider will go look at them with you.

#77 2 years ago

If you want to spend a little: Terminator 2

A bit more: Spider-Man

A bit more: Medieval Madness

All three are fun games for novice skill levels with something for more skilled players, look cool and have good replayability.

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaws72:

I'm a little confused here, $2,000 =/= $3,500 , , , ,

Looking forward to your post in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-machine-did-you-bring-home-today-post-your-pictures

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I'm a little confused here, $2,000 =/= $3,500 , , , ,
Looking forward to your post in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-machine-did-you-bring-home-today-post-your-pictures

Each game is 2,000 or less.

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Each game is 2,000 or less.

"If I can swing both for under $3,500, , , " is still more than $2,000

Unless of course he can get both for $2,000, that would be great!

I need to go reevaluate my budget now!

#81 2 years ago

If you're looking for somewhere to play, you aren't too far away from Pincrossing and are about 1h 20m away from River City Blues Club where we hold our monthly tournaments.

http://railroadstreet.com/Pinball/pinball.aspx

http://www.rivercityhbg.com/dart-room/ (We're at the bottom of the page)

If you're looking for a good machine as your first, I would recommend Demolition Man. It was my first and challenging enough that it keeps me interested, but easy enough for anyone to jump in and play.

A friend of mine's son really enjoys his No Fear, which is in the same price range as DM.

#82 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Would you be open for a B grade pin for $3,000-$3,500? Like Congo, Getaway, Shadow or World Cup Soccer?

I think F-14 and Jurassic Park are good games, but I would echo the above as well. My pick would be Shadow.

#83 2 years ago

Under $2000;

Whirlwind, Earthshaker, Dr Dude & Taxi (occasionally available)

Hurricane (newer display; DMD)

#84 2 years ago

Definitely would give Taxi a solid vote. Easy to understand rules, fun, and great ball flow.

#85 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the advice. Checked out a Jurassic Park pin tonight. It was in great condition. Owner was really awesome too. It's within the price range for a machine I wanted to spend of $2000. I'll know Friday.

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Lots of places relatively nearby with all kinds of pins.
EM's your thing? There's the Village Arcade in St. Peters.
New & old there's The Pinball Gallery in Malvern & Railroad Tavern in Linfield.
These are just a few to wet your appetite.
Good Luck & welcome

+1 for the Pinball Gallery in Malvern (I'm not affiliated with them, just a fan) . It's about an hour away from you, but they have about 70 or so pins spanning every decade from the 70s to today. (maybe a couple even older that that). On top of that, their rates are ridiculously reasonable, unlimited free play on all machines (except for their 3 newest ones). $5 an hour from 11:30-1:30 on weekdays and $20 for all-day play every day they are open (or 15 bucks per person if you have 3 or more for the family rate). They post their current game list on their website. Some of the suggestions people have made are on location right now there.

The reason I bring this up is simple: while there are a lot of good starter pin suggestions here, in reality, nothing is going to beat finding a pin within your budget that you have actually played and KNOW you enjoy and don't feel you'll get bored with. Best way to do that is by finding a place with a lot of Pins and trying them all out for yourself. You'll quickly get a feel for what you like and what you don't, which will help you immensely with your first-pin search. Doing this helped me to hone in on a true wish-list and crossed. off a LOT of machines I thought I'd like but ended up really enjoying for any number of reasons.

Other than that, my most basic advice on getting a starter pin (without naming games themselves) is to look for one that had a high number of machines produced. This generally helps keep the price down (since they aren't "rare"), provides a larger base of people that can help you with advice or provide insight for any questions/issues you may have (and a lot of posts already that solve issues you may run into), and generally means that parts will be much easier to find (and trust me, you'll need parts at some point). Secondarily, look up your game on ipdb.org and make sure to download the manual, if the game you buy doesn't come with it. They have a ton of info as well as part numbers and major component/assembly diagrams you will need to get and keep your machine working great. A poorly working/maintained machine is the quickest way to people (your son included) losing interest in playing it.

T2 was my first pin. I got it for cheap in really poor condition, but thanks to its massive release numbers, with a little time, I was able to get it working perfectly. It still gets play daily.

Good Luck!

2 weeks later
#87 2 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Not necessarily. There are great games below this "sacred top 100" I would watch the papa vidoes on youtube. See how different era machines play. Reach out to local pinsiders that will let you play games in their collections.

indeed. but it is a good place to start. the 100-200 list is full of pins i would like to own someday, too.

#89 2 years ago

Just get the # 1 game in the top 100 list on this forum. MMR!

#90 2 years ago

3 more weeks and no follow up from OP

#91 2 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

3 more weeks and no follow up from OP

He replied just a few posts back that he was looking at a Jurassic Park. Looks like he bought it.

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from bpa:

He replied just a few posts back that he was looking at a Jurassic Park. Looks like he bought it.

Ohh, I just read he would find out about it, didn't see if he bought it.

Hope he got something good for him!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.50
$ 6.50
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 36.99
$ 15.00
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 750.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Great American Pinball
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside