• Latest reply 8 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

So my buddy wants to buy his first pinball machine and he's got $1200 to spend. What should he buy?

#2 9 years ago

Pinbot or maybe Gladiators.

#3 9 years ago

Big Daddy

#5 9 years ago

And I should mention, he'll be at Allentown show on Friday with $

#6 9 years ago

Many awesome games that can and will be mentioned for sure. However I will say this, that price point is hot so I wouldn't be too picky. If he wants to learn repair he can get a slightly better deal on something broke, however for a first pin he needs something working somewhat. Regardless of outside influence if you find a game he likes for around 1000$, snatch it up man. Good luck !

#7 9 years ago

High speed is a good one, but I'll be honest, the next one I'm selling is the best bang for your buck.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from doublestack:

Many awesome games that can and will be mentioned for sure. However I will say this, that price point is hot so I wouldn't be too picky. If he wants to learn repair he can get a slightly better deal on something broke, however for a first pin he needs something working somewhat. Regardless of outside influence if you find a game he likes for around 1000$, snatch it up man. Good luck !

Good advice. Thx much!

#9 9 years ago

Cyclone, if you can find one for that price.

#10 9 years ago

ANY Gottlieb sys80 game, if you can find it for 1000.

If the boards are clean and playing, it is likely to be a rock solid game. Many have similar style as sys11 games for a fraction of the cost.

#11 9 years ago

$1200 and under.

Elektra
Firepower
Bally Atlantis
Sorcerer

Pinbot (maybe getting harder to find for -$)
Fire! (Ditto)
F-14

You can't go wrong with any system 11. If you can get it for that $$

#12 9 years ago

Swords of Fury if you can find one. Great game. If there's one for sale it should be around that or cheaper, depends on how beat up it is.

#14 9 years ago

The Big Hurt

#16 9 years ago

Tough question. If he liked EM's he can have 3 or 4 instantly. If he liked system 11's High Speed is a great choice. Most system 11's are pretty good. I love High Speed as a mainly DMD guy. Solid states in between EM and System 11 I'm not a big fan of, but plenty of people are and there should be plenty in that price point. If he liked DMD's he should save a little more money. I tend to like the DMD's. If i find a deal on an older title or an EM I jump on it, shop it out, enjoy it and sell it. I've had a few occasions where people liked the price tag or liked the title when they were younger and saw my newer games and decided to save up. I've thought about putting the cheaper games in a different room because seeing an AFM next to a Silverball Mania makes for a tough sell. I never would, this is a hobby. No way to know what he likes until he buys a few.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Law:

Swords of Fury if you can find one. Great game. If there's one for sale it should be around that or cheaper, depends on how beat up it is.

SoF isn't high on my want list and I'd snap it up anywhere near $1k. All the threads I see recently are WTB ads and the occasional one for nearly double that...

#19 9 years ago

FirePower is a LOT of fun!

Bottom line - play what he finds in his price range that is available at PinFest. Buy the one he enjoys playing the most!

#20 9 years ago

F 14 is a BRUTAL game to own as your first pin!!

#21 9 years ago

Any Bally 6803, and several Gottlieb System 3's are around that price as well.

#22 9 years ago

Big Hurt is a fun game.

#23 9 years ago

A tad more today, but Mousin Around is a great game.
Agree though with High Speed, and F14 too.

#24 9 years ago

Cue Ball Wizard
Street Fighter 2

#25 9 years ago

Paragon damnit!

#26 9 years ago

I would buy 2 pins
an EM and a early S/S
WMS Big Deal or GTB Top Score for the EM
and BLY SuperSonic or Stern Stars

#27 9 years ago

Mousin around x100

#28 9 years ago

1200 or less...

Firepower
Sorcerer
Harlem Globetrotters
Pinbot
Nine ball
Big game
Joker Poker
Firepower II
Space shuttle
Fireball Classic
High Speed
Earthshaker?

#29 9 years ago

Oh and Jokerz!

#30 9 years ago

Taxi
Pinbot
Space Shuttle
Firepower
Space Station
Earthshaker which are hard to find maybe $1,500
Fireball Classic

#31 9 years ago

I've definitely got to go with Street Fighter 2 here. I bought a pretty decent one a few weeks ago for $1100, and I have been enjoying the heck out of it to be perfectly honest.

#32 9 years ago

Sorcerer and gorgar.

#33 9 years ago

Hard Body or Raven baby!

#34 9 years ago

Just like Big Daddy 1k gets you a project. We musn't think so big.

#35 9 years ago

Taxi and Earthshaker aren't $1,000 games anymore - more like $2,000 games. Would be very hard to find a Big Hurt or Mousin Around for a $1,000 too.

High Speed would be my vote - can still be had for close to a $1,000 (but would have to pay more for a nice one).

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I would buy 2 pins
an EM and a early S/S
WMS Big Deal or GTB Top Score for the EM
and BLY SuperSonic or Stern Stars

Man speaks the truth right here. Not only does he save money but EM's are easier to fix and don't break as often as newer games.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

Taxi and Earthshaker aren't $1,000 games anymore - more like $2,000 games. Would be very hard to find a Big Hurt or Mousin Around for a $1,000 too.
High Speed would be my vote - can still be had for close to a $1,000 (but would have to pay more for a nice one).

You need to look a little harder. Taxi and ES can easily be found in the 1k range with a little hunting and effort. They will have some issues but easily found. Most Sys11 can still be found for 8-1200 if you have some patience and hunt around.

They are commonly sold for 1500plus for nice examples but when you are on a shoestring budget you can find then in need of love for under 1k.

#38 9 years ago

Earthshaker for 2K? Ur smokin the herb.

Taxi, I think more like 1400-1800 for one that is not a complete pile of junk. That's why I left it OFF my list.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You need to look a little harder. Taxi and ES can easily be found in the 1k range with a little hunting and effort. They will have some issues but easily found. Most Sys11 can still be found for 8-1200 if you have some patience and hunt around.
They are commonly sold for 1500plus for nice examples but when you are on a shoestring budget you can find then in need of love for under 1k.

I just paid well over $2k for my Taxi - and looked for months. Right now there are two Taxis on CL in New England - one for $2,800 and one for $2,200. A few weeks ago, member listed a player's Taxi here (in NH) for $1,500 and it sold in a matter of hours, with a waiting list to look at it. I was a few hours too late. I saw a badly beaten up Earthshaker for $1,700 - but they're rare,

This could be regional - and I have no doubt if you spent a long time looking you might find a project one in a rural location for under $1k... but you could say that about almost any title. And I'm not sure that is what the OP wants.

Prices have been changing a lot recently... System 11 - particularly Taxi, Diner, Whirlwind, Elvira and Earhtshaker - have been appreciating.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

I just paid well over $2k for my Taxi - and looked for months. Right now there are two Taxis on CL in New England - one for $2,800 and one for $2,200. A few weeks ago, member listed a player's Taxi here (in NH) for $1,500 and it sold in a matter of hours, with a waiting list to look at it. I was a few hours too late. I saw a badly beaten up Earthshaker for $1,700 - but they're rare,
This could be regional - and I have no doubt if you spent a long time looking you might find a project one in a rural location for under $1k... but you could say that about almost any title. And I'm not sure that is what the OP wants.
Prices have been changing a lot recently... System 11 games have been appreciating.

I paid 1200 for a Mr/Ms pac-man. Does that mean that now it's magically worth that much? I also want to point out that the first post says 1200, but the title of the thread says 1000.

#41 9 years ago

It's mainly Whirlwind, Elvira, Taxi, Earthshaker and Diner...

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

It's mainly Whirlwind, Elvira, Taxi, Earthshaker and Diner...

And the cheapest of all those will ALWAYS be Earthshaker. Just like TAF will never be more valuable than a TZ if condition is identical. There are certain principles in pinball that never change. One other standard that tends to hold true: the NIB price of a Stern hovers directly in between the price of a decent TAF and TZ.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

And the cheapest of all those will ALWAYS be Earthshaker. Just like TAF will never be more valuable than a TZ if condition is identical.

Show me a $1,000 Earthshaker...

#44 9 years ago

First, the original post said 1200. Second, I can show you an $800 ES that is in storage. But it's not for sale. While we're at it, you can see all the pins that people have given me for feee, and my 1,000 Getaway and so on and so forth.

#45 9 years ago

The last three Eathshakers listed here by members: $2,300, $2,000, $2,800...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-nice-earthshaker-2300-philly-area

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-earthshaker-2000-obo

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-earthshaker-in-beautiful-condition

Honestly, I wish you were even close to being right. I'd pay $1,500+ for a players Earthshaker today.

#46 9 years ago

You would be right if it was about 3 years ago.

#47 9 years ago

Bah, list price/asking prices are a joke.

And you would be right if you shop on eBay and Pinside...

Maybe I should try to turn around my ES parts machine into a 1500 one then.

To be fair, I put a ? next to the game. You would have to be patient to find one for 1400 but they are out there. Hell, 800 non working ones are out there... I have proof

#48 9 years ago

Ridiculous that Black Hole hasn't been mentioned yet. Beautiful game. Inverted lower playfield. 3 ball multiball. Speech. Infinity glass. Rotating backglass art.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#49 9 years ago

I like Black Hole for what it is... It's just lacking the long term gameplay for me. The features of the game are quite an amazing production. Once that fact wears off, it seems to not be that exciting any longer. I'm satisfied with playing it a couple times a year, no need to own it.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from bobhvacguy:

F 14 is a BRUTAL game to own as your first pin!!

I bought F14 as my first pin and I can vouch for this. It makes kids cry.

Most import is to make sure its playable. If you've only got $1000 to spend, you don't want to be stuck with a Sys11 that has bubbling mylar and raised inserts. Also always check for battery acid damage!

A $1000 machine that needs a $400 MPU and $600 playfield is not a $1000 machine. You can easily get burned in this price range, so bring a friend.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
$ 22.50
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-game-for-1000/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.