(Topic ID: 332133)

Best Freshman Pin Designer (Poll Inside)

By SantaEatsCheese

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by DropGems
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Who had the Best "First Pin"”

• Jack Danger - Foo Fighters 8 votes
      7%
    • Keith Elwin - Iron Maiden 38 votes
      33%
    • Brian Eddy - The Shadow 19 votes
      17%
    • Eric Meniur - POTC 16 votes
      14%
    • George Gomez - Corvette 0 votes
    • Scott Danesi - Total Nuclear Annihilation 16 votes
      14%
    • Pat Lowler - Banzai Run 9 votes
      8%
    • Steve Ritchie - Airborne Avenger 0 votes
    • John Borg - DE Star Wars 4 votes
      4%
    • Spooky Luke - Ultraman / Halloween 4 votes
      4%

(114 votes)

#1 1 year ago

We've had some fantastic first entries from new pinball designers lately.

I for one am impressed with Foo Fighters from a design perspective.

Who do you think had the best "First Pin".

I'm not counting Home Pin, Home Brew, or non pins, only traditional "cornerstone" style pinball machines.

I really like Steve Ritchie but his first pin was not his best.

Who do you vote for!

#2 1 year ago

Can I play Foo Fighters first and then vote? Also Eric didn't design the layout on WOZ. He did the engineering I believe but not the layout. POTC as far as I know was his first playfield design.

#3 1 year ago

Eric Meniur did not do Wizard of Oz, his first was PotC.

Borg did not do Victory either, that was trudeau

#4 1 year ago

Will fix poll to move meniur and Borg. Trudeau doesn't get any votes ever. What was borgs first?

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from reffob:

Can I play Foo Fighters first and then vote? Also Eric didn't design the layout on WOZ. He did the engineering I believe but not the layout. POTC as far as I know was his first playfield design.

This. I’m really excited about FF but it basically doesn’t exist until I play it.

#6 1 year ago

Come on, can't vote until you play FF

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I'm not counting Home Pin, Home Brew, or non pins, only traditional "cornerstone" style pinball machines.
    Who do you vote for!

John Borgs first pin he designed was DE Star Wars not Victory

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from thechakapakuni2:

John Borgs first pin he designed was DE Star Wars not Victory

Fixed

#9 1 year ago

Paw Lawlor designed and built “Wreck’N Ball”, later known as Banzai Run in its official production, in a shed back when pinball parts were hard to get and homebrewing barely existed. Build his own MPU too. He dragged that beast to the big pinball trade show of its day, and it was the first game to feature an “interactive” attract mode: pushing the flipper buttons caused the game to respond with sound!

It will be hard for anyone to ever top Pat Lawlor as the ultimate innovator that pushed the envelope of pinball.
    Elwin does a good job at taking all the good stuff others created and putting it together to make it better.

#10 1 year ago

I think TNA was the most impressive first game because Scott did almost all of the game by himself.

KME is my current favorite designer and it looks like Jack is well on his way based on FF. The Shadow is still my favorite pin on this list that I've played so I've got to give Eddy the nod.

#11 1 year ago

Can’t vote for FF until it’s there to play but does it look potentially like it could give Jack this title with the shots and ball paths, yep.

However my vote goes to Eddy and the shadow, great shots and those ramp diverters damn they are fun!

#12 1 year ago

Not only did Brian Eddy design The Shadow, but he was also lead coder (he had done support programming on a couple games prior)

#13 1 year ago

IMDN is my pick for best pin ever, so I give Elwin the nod. But FF from Jack Danger looks friggin great. Looking forward to playing it. I don't really see it topping IMDN for me overall, just because I don't really like Foo Fighters music. But FF looks design wise to have more in it, and honestly it looks like a total homerun for Jack and crew.

Cold day in hell before FF tops Maiden music for me though, lol. Theme is important enough in general that this comparison is kinda flawed , IMO.

#14 1 year ago

Great poll

#15 1 year ago

Guys voting for FF, a game nobody’s seen flip or play. Lmao this place

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Not only did Brian Eddy design The Shadow, but he was also lead coder (he had done support programming on a couple games prior)

True and I think Jack will have some involvement here the shots and modes look so well done and cohesive he’s surely got ideas for code.

I also notice FF has no pops just like The Shadow.

#17 1 year ago

Who do you vote for!

Just noticed you have Lawlor spelt wrong in your poll!

#18 1 year ago

Jack's game looks really good. But, no one has played it yet. Could be a contender. Won't know til I can have some time on it

#19 1 year ago

what about Kordek or Neyens or Oursler?

#20 1 year ago

Isn't Jack's first game Jurassic Park Home Pin?

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from BalkeBoy:

Isn't Jack's first game Jurassic Park Home Pin?

#22 1 year ago

I have to give it to Eric with all the engineering involved with POTC and how complex that game is. To come out of the gate with a beast of a game like that is impressive to say the least. Keith with Iron Maiden is a close second mainly because it is much more straightforward standard game. Both are fantastic games nonetheless.

#23 1 year ago

Feeling old, these games span 45 years of pinball evolution, my current age.

Props to all of the lead designers, we are lucky to have so much modern pinball history still with us.

#24 1 year ago

The shadow easy!

#25 1 year ago

Should only consider designers that designed the game themselves, from CAD to creation, without any help. Most newbies get help with their first game. I'm sure JD's new game has Elwin's and Gomez's fingerprints all over it.

#26 1 year ago

wasn't Kordeks first game the first game to have two lower flippers? Seems to me like that would be a slam dunk. Has anyone else's first design stayed in games for over 70 years?
    B

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

wasn't Kordeks first game the first game to have two lower flippers? Seems to me like that would be a slam dunk. Has anyone else's first design stayed in games for over 70 years?
    B

that was his second game, his first was flipperless

#28 1 year ago

Brian eddy and it’s not even close

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.