• Latest reply 11 years ago by Svengo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-04-08_20-47-19_194.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I'm wondering what the best fix for a bubble in the backglass paint like this one is?

the bubbled area is pretty obvious from the front side (after you notice it for the first time you almost can't help but have your eyes drawn to it every time). I almost don't want to touch it since the bubbled area might just come completely off. I've heard of possibly getting some triple thick under the bubble and putting some pressure on it to adhere it to the glass and then spraying over the backside. The majority of the backglass is really nice and while it doesn't ruin it it's kind of annoying.

2013-04-08_20-47-19_194.jpg2013-04-08_20-47-19_194.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Cover the front with electrical tape, old coin op game license tag, logo decal etc. Otherwise replace the glass.

#3 11 years ago

Clear packing tape

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from raddroxx:

Clear packing tape

99% of me says don't even touch that - it will become worse.

The other 1% says spray the back with clear acrylic, it won't "fix" the area but will help to arrest the process of decay that is almost inevitable.

#5 11 years ago

Shot of Triple Thick + small piece of Saran Wrap + big fat book = flat bubble.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Svengo:

I'm wondering what the best fix for a bubble in the backglass paint like this one is?
the bubbled area is pretty obvious from the front side (after you notice it for the first time you almost can't help but have your eyes drawn to it every time). I almost don't want to touch it since the bubbled area might just come completely off. I've heard of possibly getting some triple thick under the bubble and putting some pressure on it to adhere it to the glass and then spraying over the backside. The majority of the backglass is really nice and while it doesn't ruin it it's kind of annoying.

Unless you have done it before and are comfortable with it I would leave it alone...That bubble will not adhere to the glass unless Triple Thick is sprayed under it...or between the artwork and the glass, then spray more TT on top, and then put a piece of Saran Wrap over it and something heavy to lay on it for a couple days...Otherwise it is not going to stick it back down, it will crackle it and end up showing light through the crackles. Then it will need touch ups etc.

Phoebe

#7 11 years ago

The Triple Thick / Saran Wrap method is very advanced. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is asking this question. That's the sort of thing someone learns on trash backglasses after having already successfully coated several backglasses. Someone new to the method is far more likely to destroy the area than save it that way.

IMO, your choices here are leave it alone, or do a standard Triple Thick job on the whole backglass. If you Triple Thick, treat that spot no differently, and if it is fixed it is fixed. If it is not fixed, you'll scrape it out and do a touchup. Or just leave it.

I would Triple Thick the glass if there are any other areas. That one minor area, meh, leave it. But if there are others then do it. Give the damaged area a couple of super light starter shots and then start with a misty coat over the whole backglass. From there three normal coats and it's done. Be sure to mask off the scoring areas. I usually cut some cardboard of the right shape and weight it with quarters.

#8 11 years ago

Good suggestions here.

My first inclination was to just leave it alone since other than two very small areas where the paint was rubbed off (one will be fixed as soon as I'm able to get some of the Gottielb sys 1 score window film) the rest of the backglass is basically flawless with absolutely no flaking.

My guess is that if I want to get triple thick under a bubble like this (it's about the size of a dime) i'd probably need to use a syringe to do it. In the end it might even look a bit worse from the front afterwards but it would be "fixed".
I'd like to keep this machine as nice as I can while I have it since the playfield is super nice as well especially for a machine this old that was obviously routed a good bit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-fix-for-a-bubbled-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.