• Jurassic Park 51 votes
    38%
  • Avengers: Infinity Quest 21 votes
    15%
  • Iron Maiden 35 votes
    26%

(136 votes)

#1 2 years ago

I've been getting good advice on my last post about buying a pro model and someone suggested I do a poll. So, here is a poll for the ones I'm considering. I'm leaning towards Stranger Things, and away from Iron Maiden due to the theme. Still, I'd love to hear feedback on these. I've played them all in the wild, and I can see the pros and cons for each choice. I guess what I'm looking for is a first machine that is low maintenance, will stay fresh for a long time, and is not too tough for new players, but not too simple that I will outgrow it.

#2 2 years ago

DP Pro a consideration?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

DP Pro a consideration?

I echo deadpool though i voted for JP. Deadpool is the perfect first pin(it was mine). Its straightforward and not too difficult. Long ball times and the game is just a blast. I would go premium if possible(would for JP as well) but you cant go wrong with a pro as well.

#4 2 years ago

I've ordered and currently waiting for my NIB STH pro to be delivered. Seems like a decent choice for a first pin... and also found the current secondary market to be same price or higher than ordering NIB. So for me I chose to purchase new. Pros here being you get a brand new machine, possibly lower price, and delivered right to your house so there is no hassle of driving to pick it up. The cons being you will need to make some tweaks to nearly any NIB game, which is not too big of a deal. There is a bit of a dice roll on playfield issues, etc.

I recently watched this video from helpful Pinsider chuckwurt that has some good information, if it has not already been mentioned.

#5 2 years ago

Jurassic Park

#6 2 years ago

The one you enjoy playing the most.

#7 2 years ago

none of them, get a Stern Spiderman

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

none of them, get a Stern Spiderman

That’s the right answer.
The game is a blast and it’s virtually bulletproof with the most minor maintenance and care.

#9 2 years ago

Iron Maiden is a masterpiece but I voted for Sth because its more beginner friendly, especially if you want to play with non-pinheads. Everyone enjoys bashing the domogorgon and its easy for all skill levels to achieve. IM is a fantastic deep game with four flippers and many different ways to score big, make it your eventual second game purchase.

#10 2 years ago

Start yet another thread

#11 2 years ago

I've got or had JP,Imdn, Sm and a StTh on the way. I agree with SM and JP both are fairly easy to work on. 2007 SM has better callouts than the vault and is quite a bit cheaper. JP has deeper code,both are good games.

#12 2 years ago

Out of the choices my personal favorite is STh Pro. It shoots really good and has plenty of modes and stuff going on in the code. Do you have little kids? My 6 yr old was scared of the machine.

JP pro was good shooter to but really wish i hadnt only played it with movie code cause it just didnt click with me.

AIQ is not coded for beginners but does shoot good.

IMDN is the best shooter out of your choices but the music is hit or miss so if you dont like the theme dont get it.

Other choices mentioned like Spider Man i absolutely didnt like at all. I couldnt stand it after just a few days. Deadpool was ok but the clunk in the orbit and the modes were boring coded so it didnt last long.

Id get STh if you like the theme, have no little kids, like the way Attack from Mars shoots, and like mode based coded games.

#13 2 years ago

Iron Maiden is the answer

#14 2 years ago

My kids are 22 and 17, so they are not scared off by creepy themes! Are Spider Man pins still available new? I haven't seen any listed.

#15 2 years ago

You have a ton of locations with tons of the games you're considering not too far from you. Go up to the Pinball Lounge in Orlando or Replay Museum in Tarpon Springs one weekend and play a ton of games and decide which one you enjoy the most.

Taste in pinball is just as varied as taste in music or movies, everyone is going to have different opinions. Narrow it down to just a few games you have put alot of time on, then maybe take some strangers opinions on them, but you're casting way too wide a net right now.

#16 2 years ago

Maiden by a country mile.

#17 2 years ago

Bump for outstanding seller and his pin for sale. This one is the best for a new owner, plus seller is top notch and does a bunch for the pinball community.
X-Men is one of the best stern games.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/116341

#18 2 years ago

Not sure about you but if was me I’d go

1) SW pro
2) JP pro
3) DP pro
4) maiden pro

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

You have a ton of locations with tons of the games you're considering not too far from you. Go up to the Pinball Lounge in Orlando or Replay Museum in Tarpon Springs one weekend and play a ton of games and decide which one you enjoy the most.
Taste in pinball is just as varied as taste in music or movies, everyone is going to have different opinions. Narrow it down to just a few games you have put alot of time on, then maybe take some strangers opinions on them, but you're casting way too wide a net right now.

I went to the Pinball Lounge last Friday night and played until midnight! Had a great time! I also played in the free pinball tournament at District Eat and Play. I enjoyed Stranger Things and Iron Maiden the most, but I'm not sold on the Iron Maiden theme.

#20 2 years ago

From that poll Maiden and Jurassic Park would be my vote.

#21 2 years ago

You can’t go wrong with any stern released since 2017. Seriously just pick any of them

#22 2 years ago

Munsters pro

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from UCFKnight71:

I went to the Pinball Lounge last Friday night and played until midnight! Had a great time! I also played in the free pinball tournament at District Eat and Play. I enjoyed Stranger Things and Iron Maiden the most, but I'm not sold on the Iron Maiden theme.

I think u have your answer…grab a Sth and work towards a an IMDN next.

#24 2 years ago

I was in the same boat and got a Jurassic Park Premium. Everyone absolutely loves the game. The animated T-Rex may be one of the best toys ever in pinball. Deep rule set, not an easy game but still lots of fun for the beginning/casual player.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from UCFKnight71:

Best first Stern pro pinball machine for new owner?

Quoted from MachineGunGuy:

I was in the same boat and got a Jurassic Park Premium.

So a JP premium is now considered to be the best Stern pro? In that case, I recommend EHoH premium.

(I would recommend EHoH pro, but . . . well, you know.)

#26 2 years ago

You have the answer maiden!!!

#27 2 years ago

AIQ is almost a universal theme. Packed playfield - rare for Stern these days. Deep code. Not the easiest, but long lasting. Good resale. A total winner.

#28 2 years ago

Based on your choices:
1.Maiden (so much fun to shoot).

2.AIQ (hard but every game makes me want to play again. I will own this pin someday).

3.JP (I want to love it so bad, I can brick for 10 minutes straight and not hit a damn thing, and the playfield/artwork don’t do anything for me).

4.Stranger Things (just got old fast for me, it feels like a one shot wonder).

Write in vote for DP Pro (so much fun every time I play it…I have one on order).

Either way, you don’t have to keep the pin forever, just play it and eventually get a second pin or sell it to fund your next pin. Good luck.
-Lb

#29 2 years ago

Id go back further and get a LOTR or a TSPP.

#30 2 years ago

I guess based on your poll my pick would be JP but outside of that I would go Star Trek or even Spiderman.

#31 2 years ago

If I can't find a good used pin locally, I'll probably go with Stranger Things or Jurassic Park. Hopefully I can make it out to the Pinball Lounge again and put more time into all of the machines. I should probably give Deadpool another go, since it's so popular. I still think maybe that one loses too much from premium to pro.

#32 2 years ago

Im always amazed JP gets so much love... I couldn't get rid of mine fast enough.

Way too wood choppy for me.

I appreciate that its different but fun?? I dunno.

#33 2 years ago

Star Trek. It gets by far the most upvotes from newbies and pinheads alike in my collection. Of my machines... JP is too shooty, requires study, and skill.. TSPP is super fun and funny, but stop'n'go and too many rules. Beatles is ruthless fun with super short ball times. Go for a Star Trek, can't go wrong.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Im always amazed JP gets so much love... I couldn't get rid of mine fast enough.
Way too wood choppy for me.
I appreciate that its different but fun?? I dunno.

I thought it was just ok but the more I played it, now bought it it has really grown on me, I know the paddock modes are same-same but the rest of the side modes T-Rex, Chaos, Raptor, control room modes bring a lot to the table.

I love Tron but as an example that code is super bare compared to JP, SW or some of the newer pins.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from UCFKnight71:

If I can't find a good used pin locally, I'll probably go with Stranger Things or Jurassic Park. Hopefully I can make it out to the Pinball Lounge again and put more time into all of the machines. I should probably give Deadpool another go, since it's so popular. I still think maybe that one loses too much from premium to pro.

You be just fine with a DP Pro if that's considered from a Pro standpoint.

#36 2 years ago

If you are going for a pro I would strongly recommend one of 2 options, a Deadpool Pro or a Deadpool Pro. Can't go wrong with either of those.

#37 2 years ago

My list would be Deadpool, Jurassic Park, Iron Maiden, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. All are fantastic pros and would buy whichever turned up for the best price in my area. I do agree with your assessment of Iron Maiden. The theme does nothing for me, but the layout is so great it more then makes up for it. I have the exact opposite problem with Stranger Things. The theme is great, but I just don't have fun shooting the machine. I don't mind Avengers, I just prefer the others more.

2 weeks later
#38 2 years ago

I mentioned this in my other post, but I was able to spend quite a few hours playing pinball at Arcade Monsters in Orlando on Sunday. I think I was completely wrong about Deadpool! I had the most fun playing that machine and honestly couldn't pull myself away from it! I played a ton of games, but here were my takeaways:

Iron Maiden (Premium): Good, but not as good as some of the other ones after lots of plays. Still don't love the theme, but I also don't hate it.
TMNT (LE): Did not have any fun with this one, no matter how hard I tried. Probably because I am still a rookie player...
Led Zeppelin (Pro): The playfield seemed so barren compared with the premium model. Even the Premium was just OK last time I played it.
Avengers (Premium): Just OK. Not as much fun as the other games, but a little more fun than TMNT.
Mando (Premium): Had way more fun with this than the last time I played. Some shots were hard, but I did feel like I could get some flow going.
Elvira (LE): Great game, but no Pro model as an option.
Stranger Things (LE): Had a ton of fun with this one. I expected this because it was my favorite last time. But...I think I like Deadpool better now, lol!
Star Wars (Premium): Just OK. I felt like there were too many breaks in the action.
Jurassic Park: Out of order.

So, my new ranking for machines I can't quite afford yet, but hopefully soon:

1. Deadpool
2. Stranger Things
3. Elvira
4. Mando

Elvira is not happening because of the price and Mando I'll have to play some more before I consider it. If you were to rank Stranger Things, Deadpool, and Mando solely on the pro model options alone, which would you recommend? I know Stranger Things Pro is fine, but I haven't played pro versions of Mando or Deadpool yet.

#39 2 years ago

DP, STh, Mando

#40 2 years ago

I’ve played both Mando pro and premium and I don’t think they feel all that different. Those wire forms for pro might be a good investment. I would probably be happy with a pro if I wanted that game. Stranger things also seems to be about the same gameplay wise, but the aesthetics of the premium make it seem worth it to me. Regardless of model, trying to find the UV kit for stranger things does a lot for it aesthetically and really makes it a lot of fun. Deadpool I’ve played a number of times but don’t know if I’ve played pro, premium, or both. I’ve liked the game when I’ve played but find Deadpool to be an extremely annoying character so I don’t usually jump at the opportunity to play it. The game does seem to have some genuinely fun and humorous moments.

#41 2 years ago

STh, Mando, DP.

Never understood the love for Deadpool. Played it and played it trying to like it. I found it uninspiring and easy, and the Bobble head thing is annoying.

Stranger things is a great game. I wouldn't own any of the three, but if I had to take one, STh would be an easy pick.

#42 2 years ago

Star Wars Pro would be my choice.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I totally agree. I’ve spent a decent amount of time on JP trying to love it and just don’t. A lot of that is the game play but the way they treated the theme is just so uninspired as well.

1 month later
#44 2 years ago

Hey everyone! Quick update. I picked up a Deadpool Pro from a fellow Pinsider today! Having lots of fun with it! I’m glad people made me reconsider it. No regrets!

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from UCFKnight71:

Hey everyone! Quick update. I picked up a Deadpool Pro from a fellow Pinsider today! Having lots of fun with it! I’m glad people made me reconsider it. No regrets!

Good choice ... the right choice

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rochester, NH
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-first-stern-pro-pinball-machine-for-new-owner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.