(Topic ID: 23074)

Best Fantasy/Dungeons & Dragons/Sword & Sorcery Themed Games?

By charles4400

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tjsynkral
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jordans_bday_020.JPG
jordans_bday_025.JPG
jordans_bday_024.JPG
rsz_010.jpg
image-5.jpg
image-6.jpg
DSC04055.JPG
IMG_0777.JPG
DSC01593.jpg
DSC01563.jpg
IMG_1193.jpg
catacomb_fin_006.JPG
catacomb_fin_009.JPG
catacomb_fin_001.JPG

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Looks like most of the 'Fantasy' type games were early SS... what are your opinions on some of the best of these themes?

Swords of Fury & Dungeons and Dragons look pretty neat though I have never played them.
Catacomb looks pretty neat too but haven't played that either.

Looking to add a non DMD game to the collection and was thinkin of a good playing fantasy theme.

Opinions?

#2 7 years ago

Sorcerer is the cats pajamas

#3 7 years ago

I am interested to hear what people say. I am a huge fan of fantasy themed machines. I think LOTR is the best I have played.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from mojozone:

Sorcerer is the cats pajamas

I have to agree.
(but i'm a bit biased since I have one living in my house)

LOTR and D&D are great, but not "original" ideas.

#5 7 years ago

SOF is awesome! The music can't be beat and fits the theme to a t

#6 7 years ago

Sorcerer is a great pin and gets my vote as well. Wished I had one...living or dead!!

#7 7 years ago

LOTR is the best hands down. Nothing comes close. Depth of rules. Incorporating the theme and all three movies. Simply fantastic.

SoF is another great choice.

#8 7 years ago

Swords of Fury, Sorcerer, Grand Lizard, Solar Fire...Williams nailed this theme in my opinion.

#9 7 years ago

SoF is a very fun pin, miss mine!!

#10 7 years ago

Excalibur is a fun game if you like drop targets.

#11 7 years ago

Looks like SOF & Sorcerer is getting alot of love!

How much do these run for?

Lotr is completely awesome but I was looking for non dmd (and I already have it ).

The list is great! Any others?

#12 7 years ago

CATACOMB NUFF SAID

catacomb_fin_001.JPG catacomb_fin_009.JPG catacomb_fin_006.JPG

#13 7 years ago

Not my personal favorite as far as game play, but the art on Paragon is highly awesome. Others seem to like the game play more than me.

#14 7 years ago

Surprised no one has mentioned the early ss Bally's Elektra, Centaur and Medusa. Centaur is great, absolutely beautiful game, great sounds, and lots of strategy for an early ss game.

I also like Swords of Fury as well. Another unusual one I like would be Arena.

#15 7 years ago

No love for MM?

SOF and D&D are probably my favorite examples of the genre, fairly cheap to own too!
The HEP Krull restoration wouldn't be kicked out of bed either...

#16 7 years ago

I wanted to like SOF so bad, but its sooooo boring! multiball is way too easy. I really want to play a DND but have never found one on location anywhere, probably never will.

#17 7 years ago

Make a trip to Pinballz (in Austin) BC, they've got what you need.

IMG_1193.jpg

The music alone is worth the trip... So good!

#18 7 years ago

I have both SOF and LOTR. SOF is the cats ass. Love the unique playfield layout and progressive leveling up of the drop targets. Too easy on factory settings, insanely hard on hard. Overall the package is awesome. D&D is a bitch if your not used to the drain lanes. It was ok, but nothing that knocked my socks off.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Hyperion:

CATACOMB NUFF SAID

I like the look of that catacomb...how does it play?

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Make a trip to Pinballz (in Austin) BC, they've got what you need.

The music alone is worth the trip... So good!

Ya too bad they want 3k for it!

#21 7 years ago

Gotta agree with NP, MM should be in the conversation.

It's not tragic, you have Merlin's Magic!

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

SoF is a very fun pin, miss mine!!

Me too. I also sold it too cheap considering the condition it was in. Oh well, at least its memory will forever live on in this video I shot ...

#23 7 years ago

*pat*pat*
There there Gweem,
Everything will be alright... (You did have a nice example though! )

#24 7 years ago

All this talk about SOF has me thinking it would look awesome next to Sorcerer.
Gonna keep my eyes peeled for one...

#25 7 years ago

Is there adealer that anyone knows of that sells these type pins...pm me or post here if you have or know someone who might have these.

Thanks,
Charles

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from charles4400:

Looks like most of the 'Fantasy' type games were early SS... what are your opinions on some of the best of these themes?
Swords of Fury & Dungeons and Dragons look pretty neat though I have never played them.Catacomb looks pretty neat too but haven't played that either.
Looking to add a non DMD game to the collection and was thinkin of a good playing fantasy theme.
Opinions?

Swords of Fury is the cat's meow and the bee's knees. Sorcerer is pretty cool too. Dungeons & Dragon's has the great name recognition, but the game is not that cool.

#27 7 years ago

Pinballz IS way out of whack on pricing. Check Joystix in Houston. Yeah, it's retail, but Pinballz is way over retail

#28 7 years ago

Paragon is highly awesome

INDEED! ...I also really enjoy the game play on Paragon - it can be TOUGH.

DSC01563.jpg DSC01593.jpg

And if you like Paragon artwork, Lost World is very simular (but doesn't have as good game play IMHO).

IMG_0777.JPG DSC04055.JPG

#29 7 years ago

...yuck - all the pics I posted were 'before' restoration. Oh well, you get the idea.

#30 7 years ago

Black Knight 2000.

He has a freaking lightning bolt instead of a lance, what's not to love?

#31 7 years ago

Sorcerer has some of my favorite sounds & artwork. The cabinet looks elegant too. Gorgar is also pretty sweet.

#32 7 years ago

Catacomb is a very challenging game with a bit of a learning curve. Think fast or lose your shot. "A Chilling Game of Skill" fer sure.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Premier's 'Gladiators'. That pin has a 3-headed, fire-breathing dragon AND a shaker motor. Never played it but looks like fun.

image-6.jpg image-5.jpg

#33 7 years ago

I always thougth the artwork on Gladiator was hilarious! Great game though!

If anyone is interested there is a great deal (not mine, of course!) on a Lost World:
cincinnati.craigslist.org link

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from charles4400:

Personally, I have found it to be one of the least comprehensible games ever made. It could be that I don't have enough time on it, but man. And before you ask, yes I realize the irony of me writing this.

I try to put some time on it each time I go to PAPA, and I mostly get it, but I don't think there's any way you could just walk up to it and figure it out.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Catacomb is a very challenging game with a bit of a learning curve. Think fast or lose your shot. "A Chilling Game of Skill" fer sure.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Premier's 'Gladiators'. That pin has a 3-headed, fire-breathing dragon AND a shaker motor. Never played it but looks like fun.

I just played Gladiators on route last night. I think it is a really fun game. Tons and tons of flow. You can keep the ball going forever. It's too bad the theme is futuristic instead of medieval. The shaker on the one on route is unplugged as the thing is absolutely obnoxious.

#36 7 years ago

I sold my D&D to a fellow collector, man I miss that pin! {

#37 7 years ago

my d&d are though to play but thats what is funny,machine too easy become boring.d&d challenge me every time.sword of fury is overall better than d&d,system 11...sorcerer is fantastic but very rare to find...

Post edited by pinballfan

#38 7 years ago

Catacomb. I simply felt in love with the cabinet, with the dragon waiting for the two hooded figures. Got to get that one one day. Added on my wish list. Xmas 2020?

Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Personally, I have found it to be one of the least comprehensible games ever made.

Well, I have a Spectrum, so I am not afraid...

Paragon is great too... so many pins I wish I have...

#39 7 years ago

I like LOTR a lot but have to cast my vote for SoF. Lots of fun to play and the theme (visuals + audio) is excellent.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

with the dragon waiting for the two hooded figures.

I always imagined that the dragon was surprised by the two figures! He seems alarmed.

Quoted from jlm33:

Well, I have a Spectrum, so I am not afraid...

I think that Spectrum was too smart for the average player.

I probably wasted $5 in it before I read the directions on what I was supposed to be doing, LOL.

#41 7 years ago

Paragon and Sorcerer are great games both seemed to get a decent amount of votes here . Artwork is fantastic on both . I enjoy gameplay on both really you can't go wrong with choosing either of those .

#42 7 years ago

I have a Swords of Fury, a Sorcerer, and a Black Knight 2000!

I'm shocked, though, that no one has yet mentioned Gorgar from 1979-- the first pinball machine with speech.

#43 7 years ago

stern LIGHTNING

jordans_bday_024.JPG jordans_bday_025.JPG jordans_bday_020.JPG

#44 7 years ago

Check out Stern Magic 1979, artwork is pretty cool. Never played it, but have a populated playfield I picked up awhile back.
Bob

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1509

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I always imagined that the dragon was surprised by the two figures! He seems alarmed.

Surprised but not alarmed ! More like: Lunch's coming that early !?

#46 7 years ago

I really like the artwork of Dungeons and Dragons, brings me back to my geeky youth, but I've never played it.

#47 7 years ago

Kinda surprised at the love for SOF. You have this entire table, and the whole point of the game is to play the little playfield, the rest of the standard table is kind of pointless. multiball is meaningless and too easy to start.

#48 7 years ago

SOF is great! Music and theme make up for gameplay!

1 year later
#49 6 years ago

Bumping a year-old thread because I can't stop thinking about GLADIATORS!!

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

Bumping a year-old thread because I can't stop thinking about Gladiators!!

lol, It is a fun game. I'm debating sliding a color display in mine..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside