• 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Rat_Tomago
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gpmod.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grandprix.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 10 years ago

What is stealing locks?

#32 10 years ago

Got it

Quoted from sosage:Let's say the game has a 2-ball multiball. Player 1 locks both balls on ball 1 but fails to hit the shot to activate multiball and drains. Player 2 starts his ball 1 with essentially both locks taken care of for him. He just has to shoot the shot to activate multiball and "steal" player 1's locked balls.

Got it. thxs.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from sosage:

First of all, I am very interested in seeing it. If I see someone convincingly controlling this game, consistently, I can become a convert.
Secondly, I had a long babble trying to explain my perspective, but I'll make it shorter. IMO, competitive pinball is not 70/30 or 60/40 skill/luck. It's more 99/1, with 1 being for houseballs that require being psychic after the plunge to see coming and flukes where the machine tosses the ball over the flippers. On a well designed table, the risks and rewards assure me that every drain is my fault. Including if you put a fat rubber on T2's skull lock or take out the outlane posts...there is almost always something I could've/should've/would've done to either save the ball or prevent that situation from arising.
Fireball's physical risk/reward design seems so unbalanced (at least, only to me it seems ;P), even for competitive EM's, that it flips the ratio to something like 30/70. It's designed to steal quarters. A competitive game shouldn't ever be that the top player should win out most of the time, but the top player in that moment will win out all the time. Yah' know?
When I see Fireball in a lineup for a tournament, I cringe. I almost wish we could rock/paper/scissor instead of going through playing that game.
That was still long...damn.

Not having played very many different machines, how would you rate Grand Prix? To me it seems like high scores are very much luck. But, my game has some glitches. If you hold the left flipper out to catch it has a twitch (making the only way to catch being - drop catch), it will flick the ball up instead of remain solid. Other than the right bank of bonus lights still not activating it plays pretty solid. The gap in the elbow of the drain chute really tests your skill in catching balls & the drop catch is essential. However, many times the ball will drain coming from the top without even reaching the flippers. Would be nice to hear some opinions from tournament players.

#36 10 years ago

I was reading the rules of the PAPA tournament coming up in Aug. When you qualify do you play one game through on each machine to get your score, or are you always taking turns with 3 other players?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Washington, KY
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grandprix.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-ems-for-tournament-play?tu=grandprix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.