image-836.jpg
image-742.jpg
image-373.jpg
Pinball - santiago ciuffo pf close 1.jpg
159639-i.jpg
Cover Girl Feb 2014 018.jpg
Cover Girl Feb 2014 019.jpg
Cover Girl 002.jpg
There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

Thought I'd start a topic on your thought's on the best EM Pin and why?

I own three. Space Mission, Target Alpha, and Bally Circus. However I have played many.

OHEMIO

#2 10 years ago

Kinda like women, which is better? cant answer that.

#3 10 years ago

Every one has there opinion. I like Jacks open or atlantis. I really like the card themed wedge heads.

#4 10 years ago

I'd put in a vote for the Big Hit, 1977 Gottlieb. Especially for those that love baseball.

#5 10 years ago

Bally Traildrive!

#6 10 years ago

Okay, I'm admittedly more interested in solid state pins, but I'd really like to appreciate EM pins more. (In fact, I started a thread about it a while back: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-appreciate-em-pins ) However, this seemed like a good place to ask; what makes these particular EM games any better than the others? This is an honest question. I'd really like to understand EM pins better.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to expound,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#7 10 years ago

Fast Draw - horse shoes rule!

Close second - Mata Hari EM

#8 10 years ago

Fireball - king of all EMs

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Kinda like women, which is better? cant answer that.

lol - and when it comes to women you never will find that answer brother...

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from JBK:

Every one has there opinion. I like Jacks open or Atlantis. I really like the card themed wedge heads.

Both great Gottlieb pins. I like the layouts on the 4 players like Royal Flash or more so Card Whiz. Close Encounters layout also peaks my interest. However it's understood there's a great deal of love for the Wedgeheads throughout the EM collector world.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

I'd put in a vote for the Big Hit, 1977 Gottlieb. Especially for those that love baseball.

Gotta love the turret feature on this pin. Drop targets and four flippers to knock them down plus the baseball theme. Baseball is why I own a 63' WMS Major League with the running man unit. Big Hit is a great pin though. Thanks for posting.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

Bally Traildrive!

Love the back box animation on this pin. Very rare pin and tough to find. Never played one but hope to one day. Thanks for posting.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from JBK:

Every one has there opinion. I like Jacks open or Atlantis. I really like the card themed wedge heads.

I'm partial to Atlantis too.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Okay, I'm admittedly more interested in solid state pins, but I'd really like to appreciate EM pins more. (In fact, I started a thread about it a while back: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-appreciate-em-pins ) However, this seemed like a good place to ask; what makes these particular EM games any better than the others? This is an honest question. I'd really like to understand EM pins better.
Thanks to anyone who is willing to expound,Ryan ClaytorElephant Eater Comicshttp://www.ElephantEater.com

For me it's a love of the sounds and mechanics running. When you credit up, and hit start, that score motor starts to run, everything resets. All the score reels click to reset to zero. Then the ball kicks theres a moment of silence. Then you fire that ball. Then the bells, lights, and reels. It's hearing the bonus unit in combination with the score motor and reels. It's like a clock you wind, a fine watch. To some degree you can't believe that it all works as well as it does. It really adds to the playing experience. I don't experience that with SS.

I have absolutely nothing against SS but prefer EM. Hell I played many hours of SS pinball. For me it's a completely different experience than hitting a start button on an EM. When I have holidays or family gatherings in my arcade. You should hear several games being started at once. I sit there with my beer and just take it all in...

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Fast Draw - horse shoes rule!
Close second - Mata Hari EM

Word on the Horse Shoes brother. The theme on the Bronco rocks. Mata Hari as a great theme to and great playfield. Thanks for posting.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Very challenging pin to master. Those small flippers are a killer. Love that upper playfield. Thanks for posting.

#17 10 years ago

Joker Poker sure is pretty. Fast and fun, too.

#18 10 years ago

I actually have found myself liking small flipper EM's better than "standard" ones. Fireball, Kings and Queens (Ball walker kickouts in the middle of the PF is awesome.), King of Diamonds (Roto-target is awesome, as is the layout and rules), Atlantis (Only EM I know of with the 2-targets-down-at-same-time rule, and the bagatelle on the right side).

For multiplayer games, 300 is a good one.. best bonus counter ever.

#19 10 years ago

So hard to pick just one, but some of my personal favorites:

Fireball
Nip-it
King of Diamonds
Wizard
Pro Football
Grand Prix
Doodle Bug

#20 10 years ago

#1. Fireball
#2. Slick Chick
#3. El Dorado/Solar City/Target Alpha
#4. Abra-Ca-Dabra
#5. Atlantis

#21 10 years ago

"Best EM Pin"

< Mine>.

Second would be <Yours>.

Ken

#22 10 years ago

Id reverse the order Ken but your point is taken

--Jeff

#23 10 years ago

Couldn't pick just one if my life depended on it, but a few favorites:

Melody - Awesome AAB version of Sing A Long

Slick Chick - Amazing early wedgehead

Lady Luck (WMS) - Challenging Blackjack game

Majorettes - Nothing else quite like it

Wizard - Just a great overall package

So many good EM's, these are just the tip of the iceberg

#24 10 years ago

I Like many games, but jacks open, quick draw and Atlantis are my favs.

#25 10 years ago

Fast Draw, Centigrade 37, Lawman/Sheriff/Atlantis

#26 10 years ago

Would Love to see more ratings for EM pins.

#27 10 years ago

Grand Prix
Fireball

#28 10 years ago

Thanks ohemio re: Big Hit. Love launching the ball from the flipper. Have added green LED lights. Looks and plays great!

#29 10 years ago

I only have one pinball machine so I guess my pick would be my Williams Casanova, the art work is just remarkable for such an old machine. The sounds of all the mechanical parts working together is what I like and remember these machines should sound like; thats where it all started anyway.
Working on these electrical/mechanical machines has been a lot of fun for me.

Rodney

#30 10 years ago

Fireball and C37 seem to get the most love. Can't forget El Dorado and its many clones either.

#31 10 years ago

Early 60's. Gigi, Slick Chick and Majorettes - all 3 great artwork and addictive gameplay.

Mid 1960'. Buckaroo, Kings & Queens, Sing Along, Ice Revue, Crosstown.

70's - Atlantis, El Dorado, Jacks Open, C37.

A ton of others not mentioned as well.

Best?

Tough one. Can't answer as would need them all in home

#32 10 years ago

Klondike / Yukon, because it is a pinball and a poker machine in one! + great artwork and colours.

#33 10 years ago

I have played so few EM games I don't feel qualified to say what is the best. I have owned Williams Klondike, Bally On Beam, I own Gottliebs C37 and Golden Arrow. Of those four, I rate them in this order...

C37 (I play it more than any other game in my collection)
Klondike (Beginning to regret selling it)
Broken Arrow (Just picked it up and I really like the additional bell for the 10,000 point shots)
On Beam (Amazingly complicated mechanically and cool looking game and backbox animation, but this does not translate to great gameplay, but I did really like the short flippers in this one) Glad I sold it, helped me buy C37.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Thanks to anyone who is willing to expound,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

If you want to appreciate em pins more, get a broken one and learn how to repair it. Once you have repaired it, learn how to play it. Flipper skills and nudging change dramatically from SS/DMD to EM. There is a definite player benefit to learning the difference. It will make you a better player all around. Once you have learned to play your game well, it will become easy to decide if you like it or not. The way it went for me, I started looking for different features in an EM.

Klondike was my first EM (also my first pinball machine period). It had some great features like the up post between the flippers and the slot reels in the top. You don't have a direct shot to any of the upper playfield area features so you have to learn to bank shot the ball to get it up above the pops to hit the slot reel targets. There are direct shots to advance the slot reels but those generally are sucker shots. After playing Klondike, I started to look for games with different features. I found On Beam and it had a cool backbox light animation and the add a ball feature actually spit the ball back out to the playfield between the flippers rather than sending the ball to the shooter lane. The animation is cool, but really did not enhance the game for me. I do think that the add a ball kicker is a great feature and surprising all the time. Then I decided I wanted a game with some drop targets or a spinner shot or both! I got C37 and the drop targets are a great strategic part of the game. Definitely adds fun to the gameplay. Then I got Golden Arrow. It has a rare Gottlieb feature, the 10,000 point shot! I am still working this one out. It needs a good shop job and the steppers and spinners all need a good cleaning.

I keep looking for games with features I havent played yet. Gobble holes, bonus counters, MultiBall!

I wonder what I'll find next???

Hope this adds a little to your thought bank for EM games. Give it a try. I bet you'll like it!

#35 10 years ago

I'll vote for card whiz

#36 10 years ago

Gottlieb Surfer. I'd say Surf Champ, but Surfer shows more artwork on the backglass. I also thing that Chicago Coin had a lot of under-rated EM's

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

+1
It is certainly my favorite EM...
Maybe not even the best EM ever but it certainly has the most features of a 4 player EM.

#38 10 years ago

C37...Queen of all EMs

Quickly followed by Fast Draw and Atlantis

#39 10 years ago

Don't forget "Big Indian".

#40 10 years ago

IMHO (i only play on 70' Gottlieb pinballs) :

4 players : Surf Champ - Vulcan - Close Encounters
Wedgeheads : Centigrade 37 - Atlantis - Jacks Open

#41 10 years ago

Best? I don't know. The one I have the most fun playing is Abra Ca Dabra. Really like the variety of Atlantis and best art, for me, has to be C37 even though I'm not crazy about the way it plays.

#42 10 years ago

My all time favorite is Bally Wizard! The game looks great and plays great. I am lucky enough to own one that plays like it just came out of the box. Most of the ones i have played at shows are pretty slow unfortunately, but if you play fast one, your opinion of the game would change.

There are other ems that i like a lot too. Aztec, Majorettes, Space Mission, Grand Prix and a friend of mine owns a Bally Amigo that I feel is a very underrated game.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from out_of_order:

friend of mine owns a Bally Amigo that I feel is a very underrated game

I like hearing that, I love the artwork but it did not look very exciting, will have to give it a second try.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

Klondike / Yukon, because it is a pinball and a poker machine in one! + great artwork and colours.

Maybe more like a pinball and a slot machine. Now Joker Poker is what you described, and I can't believe it hasn't got more love here. The artwork is in a class all by itself, and the game play is excellent. Maybe it's because nobody else here has one. I love my Fireball and Klondike, but this Joker Poker is just plain sexy.

DSCN1490.JPGDSCN1490.JPG

#45 10 years ago

Slick Chick
Kings n Queens
Atlantis
c-37
Buckaroo
World Fair
Ice Review

Desert Island pin : Slick Chick, WHY : 2" flippers, big gap between flippers, Being able to effectively "Nudge " it a must. Rewards skilled shooting and ball control . Great rules set, Gobble hole rewards you with multiple (5-7) Specials. Looks great, plays fast when set up properly.

Brian Lenker
Madison Hts, MI
586-344-0721

#46 10 years ago

The aussies and their silly words
slot machine = pokie I think

#47 10 years ago

I think there is a tendency to like what you grew up with. I have restored 60's games and agree the wide gap and difficulty can make them hard to beat, but don't always enjoy the frustration of always draining so quickly. 70's games (and I mean basically Gottlieb in my case) have slightly longer ball times with bigger flippers and a less ball gobbling gap between them. I've said it before, but for now anyway, Atlantis is a good mix of difficult, but once in a great while rewarding game play. And yes, if more of us could have access to EM Joker Pokers, we might know of it's greatness!

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

if more of us could have access to EM Joker Pokers, we might know of it's greatness!

I'll admit it doesn't have some of the features that I love on other EMs, like spinners and holes, but it does make up for it with it's greatness.

If you like drop targets, then this is the game for you.
DSCN1570.JPGDSCN1570.JPG

#49 10 years ago

Fast Draw is my favorite EM (so far).
Why? Of course, the neat feature is, drop all 10 drop targets and the center horseshoe targets start resetting for 5000 points each, as long as you can keep hitting them. Aside from that, the playfield is fun to play on. There's 4 inlanes. Lots of nudging to keep the ball out of the outlanes because the rebound off the drops tends to go towards the opposite outlane.
You can play the upper playfield for safety and build bonus and points up there with good pop bumper action and kick outs worth up to 4K. Or you can test your skill with the drops.
"Speed Count" bonus rapidly counts down after each ball with max bonus on ball 3 of 45K.

I also have really enjoyed Fireball. Great skill shot, and because of locking balls, you can plunge quite a few balls in a game. Always fun to get multiball. My favorite shot is hitting the captive ball to the top. If 2 balls are locked, one is released into play and the other goes back to the shooter lane where you can plunge it right away for 3 ball multiball,or save it in reserve. The game gets wild. But at other times you can be careful and deliberate, when the zipper flippers are closed.

I love smacking down 13 drop targets with 2 inch flippers on a fast, open, playfield on Pop A Card.
Lots of nudges for outlane saves. It's very challenging to hit the lower stand-ups off the flipper when they're lit for WOW. It's also fun to hit them by nudging the ball off the sling shots.

Also enjoy Centigrade 37.

Many others I know are good but haven't got enough time on them yet.

#50 10 years ago

I-din, I bet your fireball is feeling neglected because of all the attention you give Joker Poker. Why don't you let it go somewhere it will really be loved????

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

$ 210.00
Cabinet Parts
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-em-pin?hl=pinasco and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.