image-836.jpg
image-742.jpg
image-373.jpg
Pinball - santiago ciuffo pf close 1.jpg
159639-i.jpg
Cover Girl Feb 2014 018.jpg
Cover Girl Feb 2014 019.jpg
Cover Girl 002.jpg
There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

din, I bet your fireball is feeling neglected because of all the attention you give Joker Poker.

Neglected? Not! I just rebuilt the zipper flippers and now I am considering "high-tapping" it. JP had the high tap treatment when I got it and once done I don't think you can ever go back.

#52 10 years ago

High tap??? Just think how high your electric bill will be now!!

Glad to hear Fireball is getting its much deserved attention. Keep me in mind if the real Odin has worn out its welcome.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Maybe more like a pinball and a slot machine.

We call slot machines poker machines or 'pokies' in oz...

#54 10 years ago

This is tough one ... so many "AWESOME" Gottlieb wedgehead titles, especially the add-a-ball versions.

2" Flippers
COW POKE
FLIPPER POOL
DIAMOND JACK
MELODY

3" Flippers
LUCKY HAND
CAPT. CARD
PRO POOL
SHIP AHOY

#55 10 years ago

Where is the love for 4 Million BC?
I've never played a real one - but my hyperpin has a version that keeps me craving more. I've been lucky enough to play alot of Fireball - which is kinda similar, and I recently purchased a Wizard! as my first EM. Fireball has the theme, but 3 Million BC has 2 different skill shots - the normal one, like fireball, and the one that follows the smoke on the PF - to lock a ball. Truth is, zipper flippers and multi-ball on an EM kicks @$$!

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

We call slot machines poker machines or 'pokies' in oz...

And what does "scrapes" mean?

#57 10 years ago

o-din, that Joker Poker really does look like a NIB. I'm jealous!

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from GreyScale:

o-din, that Joker Poker really does look like a NIB. I'm jealous!

Yeah, but the bonus just stopped scoring. Time to crack this egg.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, but the bonus just stopped scoring. Time to crack this egg.

Definitely part of the fun of EM pinball!!!

#60 10 years ago

Most difficult topic to answer for me. I have been in the opportunety to play so many of them and the list of EM-s I've played must be well over seven hundred. And then again, the best one may be one I haven't seen and/or played before. Last Pinburgh I played Sonic Super Straight. Have the flyer for years and just the looks of it made me interested. Well, the game play didn't disappoint me a bit. Two small tournaments near Milano in Italy. Both times also EM games, either Gottliebs made for Italy - because of the laws there about pinball in the sixties and seventies - and games made in Italy. Some brands were actually looking exactly like Gottliebs and I do not know if it was legal at all. The Best Wizard was awesome to me, very challenging. Most important to me is that there should always be one shot worth going for, something that is not always the case.
Joker Poker is also mentioned in this topic. For those who know both the EM version as well as the SS version, which do you like better? Gameplay is not exactly the same.
One thing will always be in the advantage of EM games. You are not dependent on any electronic items. As long as there is copper or a good substitute you will always be able to make it play again.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

Where is the love for 3 Million BC?
I've never played a real one - but my hyperpin has a version that keeps me craving more. I've been lucky enough to play alot of Fireball - which i kinda similar, and I recently purchased a Wizard! as my first EM. Fireball has the theme, but 3 Million BC has 2 different skill shots - the normal one, like fireball, and the one that follows the smoke on the PF - to lock a ball. Truth is, zipper flippers and multi-ball on an EM kicks @$$!

4 Million BC

#62 10 years ago

Here's another vote for o-din's EM Joker Poker...
It is simply beautiful. (Oh, and fun to play too!)

#63 10 years ago

It is simply beautiful.

I'd be inclined to agree.

DSCN1577.JPGDSCN1577.JPG

#64 10 years ago

That is a pretty card game. Love all the vivid colors and little bit off art.

I really like Fireball, Wizard, Target Alpha and Aligator if I can ever find one.

Most of the rest I get bored of pretty easy. The above machines are either challenging or I like hitting drop targets =D

#65 10 years ago

I want Atlantis next, but a friend has a nice Bon Voyage, and that game is really a lot of fun!

#66 10 years ago

O-din loving that beautiful Joker Poker. Especially the playfield layout and that third flipper to take out those Aces. Those bonus units are great on the Gottlieb 4 Players. Had fun with mine on my Target Alpha getting it to run correctly after a drain.

Again thanks to everyone for positing...OHEMIO

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

Where is the love for 3 (4!) Million BC?

^^This. Love this EM.

#68 10 years ago

Hi-Lo Ace mine is getting closer to being done, cant wait to get it all together....

and I'm getting pretty itchy to start hearing chimes....

#69 10 years ago

I like all these:

Jacks Open
Atlantis
El Dorado
Abra Ca Dabra
Kings and Queens
King of Diamonds

If I owned these would probably be on my list:

Centigrade 37 (although some say it's not that great of a player)
Slick Chick

If I get this shopped it would probably make the list:

Fast Draw

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from balbers:

^^This. Love this EM.

Just edited my 3 to 4 - Doh!

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from OHEMIO:

Those bonus units are great on the Gottlieb 4 Players.

Yeah, I repaired it this afternoon. Only a broken wire and one notch out of adjustment. While I was in there, I looked at the transformer, and it was not high tapped as I had previously thought. Wow!
This machine sure feels like it's been juiced anyway, it plays fast!

Now having EMs from Bally, Williams, and Gottlieb, I can see that many components are similar, but others are not, and the edge in quality goes to Gottlieb. From steel rotors on the motor assembly, to a chime unit that just sounds better. But I still like them all!

#72 10 years ago

I have a Target Alpha and Centigrade 37 I love them both. I would have to put the C37 on the list with Sing Along, Slick Chick, Fireball, and maybe Central Park.

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Fireball - king of all EMs

I like Fireball but I think Four Million B.C. is much more fun.

#74 10 years ago

If I ever get to a show again I'll have to see if I can find a 4 Million BC and see what all the fuss is about (if Tuna_Delight says it's good then I know it's good). I don't normally stray from Gottlieb's but hey, ya never know.......

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

Klondike / Yukon, because it is a pinball and a poker machine in one! + great artwork and colours.

Agreed !

#76 10 years ago

While Fireball and 4MBC get lots of votes, and don't get me wrong I love them both, I think they are a bit overrated sometimes. I had a 4MBC and despite all that goes on on the playfield, the play was really slow and simple even with 3 balls in play. And it's really green. The playfield is almost too wide open. Fireball is just the opposite, too much going on but generally a similar gameplay on a very tight playfield. The spinning disk, while a great innovation, is just maddening.

My vote would be for the Bally Little Joe. A lot of skill shots. Lots of opportunities for free balls. A great and continually evolving strategy. A tough initial plunger shot is required to set you up for a good ball in play ( and just doesn't score points). Great Chritian Marche artwork on the bg and the pf. Crazy dice theme on the cabinet. Given the choice of the three, I'll take a Joe!

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from DrRocky:

My vote would be for the Bally Little Joe

I would pick that game up if it was local.

Quoted from DrRocky:

Lots of opportunities for free balls. A great and continually evolving strategy.

Sounds like a winner.

Quoted from DrRocky:

Great Chritian Marche artwork on the bg and the pf. Crazy dice theme on the cabinet.

Yes, fun art package too.

Quoted from DrRocky:

Given the choice of the three, I'll take a Joe!

I agree.

Ken

9 months later
#78 9 years ago

Jack's Open 1977 Gottlieb Wedgehead. Looks easy, kicks your butt. The most "I've got to play one more game" ever.

Just got this beautiful one.

image-616.jpgimage-616.jpg image-261.jpgimage-261.jpg image-496.jpgimage-496.jpg image-231.jpgimage-231.jpg image-772.jpgimage-772.jpg image-364.jpgimage-364.jpg
#79 9 years ago

Ooooh niiiiccccce!!!

#80 9 years ago

I cannot believe nobody mentioned Bow and Arrow. I love alot of EM's but at the end of the night with my collection Bow and Arrow always gets the nod late into the evening / morning. There are so many good EM's. Bow and Arrow is one of those especially multiplayer....

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

There are so many good EM's.

So true. And one's opinion of what is best can change from time to time. Earlier in this thread I was sure it was one particular Gottlieb. But now, with a certain Williams in the line-up that I like even more, I am trying to just enjoy them all.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Fireball - king of all EMs

yup fireball!

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So true. And one's opinion of what is best can change from time to time. Earlier in this thread I was sure it was one particular Gottlieb. But now, with a certain Williams in the line-up that I like even more, I am trying to just enjoy them all.

Agree completely. The issue is there is no single one that can be vetted out of the bunch. There is probably 10-20 that are above the rest but so many made and so many to be played.

#84 9 years ago

I've posted this before, but Surf Champ is #1 for me. For Wedge Head lovers though...Pro Pool is a sleeper for sure. Mine is dialed in and fast...a real looker too.

#85 9 years ago

Don't own one, but I think that Flip A Card is a great game. Of the game that I currently own, Strike Zone is the best...great flow and fast with the 4 sling shots.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

Jack's Open 1977 Gottlieb Wedgehead. Looks easy, kicks your butt. The most "I've got to play one more game" ever.
Just got this beautiful one.

image-616.jpg 193 KB

image-261.jpg 188 KB

image-496.jpg 188 KB

image-231.jpg 164 KB

image-772.jpg 149 KB

image-364.jpg 138 KB

jacks open is the machine that gets the most play in my house too....

the pf and bg are very nice on yours... nice score...

gotta replace those drop targets though...

#87 9 years ago

I prefer the 2" games over the later ones. Better art, a vintage feel and nicer sounds. My favorite at the moment is Cover Girl. Simple rules but very hard to beat and has that just one more game attraction.
I've just got a Spin Out, and it's got the same have another go, next time you'll beat it feel. Not bad for a seventies effort.

Cover Girl 002.jpgCover Girl 002.jpg

Cover Girl Feb 2014 019.jpgCover Girl Feb 2014 019.jpg

Cover Girl Feb 2014 018.jpgCover Girl Feb 2014 018.jpg
#88 9 years ago
Quoted from nick-the-greek:

I prefer the 2" games over the later ones. Better art, a vintage feel and nicer sounds.

I've been feeling the same lately. Pre 70s games are rock solid and can be very challenging. And most use bells instead of chimes. The artwork definitely takes you back to a different place and time.

I especially like the ones that came with metal flipper bats. Just that little extra touch of class.

#89 9 years ago

It would be interesting to know what games used metal flippers. I know Williams used them, but what Gottlieb games did? Are they any heavier than plastic with a metal shoe? I would like to get hold of some and have them powder coated white. It would save me worrying about the plastic ones cracking and damaging the play field.

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from nick-the-greek:

I would like to get hold of some and have them powder coated white.

They are very hard to get ahold of and painting them white would defeat the purpose. They look great just the way they are.
159639-i.jpg159639-i.jpg

#91 9 years ago

Space Mission. Or the even better Space Odyssey.

#92 9 years ago

2" flipper 60's single player games FTW!

#93 9 years ago

Kings & Queens and Sing Along

#94 9 years ago

Night Rider, Ding Dong, Space Mission, Old Chicago, Bally Circus (OP: That's the woodrail right? I am soooo jealous that you have one. I even asked Tim @ PHOF to sell me his. He said harumpf...maybe sometime...9 ball multiball!), Lawman, Triple Action, San Francisco, Sing Along, Crosstown, Expressway, Grand Prix... That's just off the top of my head... oh yeah, and Fan-Tas-Tic.

#95 9 years ago

hopefully one of these days someone will hear my plea and repro the metal bats...

#96 9 years ago

Just got a metal bat game back in the line-up. Thanks Dirt.

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Just got a metal bat game back in the line-up. Thanks Dirt.

Back at ya!

#98 9 years ago

My favorite EMs include:

Royal Flush/Card Whiz - IMO one of the best playfield designs, teaches you to make every shot count; a very strategic game

Jumping Jack - Tremendously fun to play, with the pop bumpers next to the flippers makes for a very fast game at times, and when you can get those upper flippers working with the ball going back and forth it's very satisfying. Hard game, but tons of fun.

4MBC - way ahead of its time in terms of playfield design and had a lot more depth to it than many people might realize at first.

Jet Spin - love the artwork on this game, same thing with C37 and Lawman

#99 9 years ago

WHERE'S MINE?!!??!!

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

WHERE'S MINE?!!??!!

We keep them all here in the Midwest. Sorry, man.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 210.00
Cabinet Parts
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 22.50
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-em-pin/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.