New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 102015)

Best EM for first time EM buyer

By beefzap

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Wolverine1094
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I have owned over 30 pins , all post 1990. Want to try an EM. What is the best EM to ease me in to the EM universe from the universe I have been living in?

#2 6 years ago

I don't know if there's a single *TITLE* I'd recommend... find one that looks interesting to you. If you don't want to learn how to work on EMs, I'd suggest you stick to single player games, as they are a lot less complicated.

#3 6 years ago

I just got a Grand Prix as my first EM and I'm loving it, one of the last EM's made I believe, and from my experience seems to be one of the less "house-y" EMs i've played.

#4 6 years ago

Other than aesthetic/artwork-related preferences, I think a good question to ask yourself would be, do you have a strong preference for two inch or three inch flippers? If it's the latter, you're looking at 70s era EMs.

#5 6 years ago

Similar thread I started last fall. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-of-buying-an-em-buyers-guide#post-1341431

Be careful, they multiply. I've bought quite a few this year.

#6 6 years ago

I'd go with a wedge head simply because they are a lot easier to keep running because there are so many fewer parts. Also, the progressive game play will be more what you are used to.

#7 6 years ago

Pretty much all of the above.

Theme, art work, playfield hard ware features. Spinners, or drop targets, vari-targets, roll overs, are going to be the features that you yourself will have to decide on. Manufactures, also but not so much.

#8 6 years ago

Get something with a lot going on. Some games like Wild Life are beautiful but don't really have much to shoot for and are pretty devoid of playfield features. Games with drop targets, or spinners and multiple pop bumpers, tend to be more fun.

Don't bother searching high and low for a particular title; go on your local Craigslist, and see what pops up cheap and working.

#9 6 years ago

Do you have any pinhead friends that own EMs? I'd recommend playing some EMs to see what you like. 2 inch vs 3 inch flippers, one player (Wedgeheads) keep your progress to the next ball, while multiplayer pins reset after each ball generally speaking.

Playing EMs will also help you determine if you prefer things like drop targets, spinners, and rollovers as your priority.

I have 2 EMs, one a single player Sure Shot, and the other is a multiplayer, Bow and Arrow. I'd have a very difficult time saying which I like better.

#10 6 years ago

Based on your other games I would steer clear of 60's and early 70's games for the most part. There are a few exceptions of course but getting a pin that 75 or newer may have DC powered flippers and bumpers that will have the kick you are used to. There has been some good advise about just looking at CL in your area for something cheap and working...I would add to that also checking the game on the pinball database and reading the reviews. Sure these reviews can often be BS but more than half of them are honest comments both pro and con about a specific game you might be considering. If you find yourself in Nj check out Silverball Arcade...they have a nice assortment of EM pins and most of them play fairly well...at least half of them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 45.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 149.95
    Pinball Machine
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 6,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside