• Joker Poker, Eight Ball Deluxe, Space Shuttle, Nine Ball 19 votes
    43%
  • Black Hole, Flash Gordon, Firepower, Sea Witch 13 votes
    30%
  • Haunted House, Fathom, Blackout, Quicksilver 8 votes
    18%

(44 votes)

#1 5 months ago

This is still one of my favorite eras of pinball. These pre-1986 line-ups have one game from each manufacturer (Gottlieb, Bally, Williams, and Stern).

Which four-game line-up would you choose?

#2 5 months ago

Edit- none in your poll. Sorry.

#3 5 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Edit- none in your poll. Sorry.

Aight.

#4 5 months ago

yes do a diff post that just asks folks to pick their dream early ss pre 86.

would like to see what people say!

#5 5 months ago
Quoted from TheBananaPeel69:

My original answer was-

Stars

Nine Ball

Frontier

Skateball

As I like games with great layouts and rules, but also have to be able to look at them day after day.

#6 5 months ago

Centaur
Quicksilver
Fathom
Flash Gordon

#7 5 months ago

Joker Poker, Eight Ball Deluxe, Space Shuttle, Nine Ball for me.

Spirit, hainted house, black hole, firepower...no thanks

#8 5 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

My original answer was-
Stars
Nine Ball
Frontier
Skateball
As I like games with great layouts and rules, but also have to be able to look at them day after day.

Well I will say you're line up would be easier to maintain. For some reason the Bally/Stern board sets just seem to work. At least for me they do.

#9 5 months ago
Quoted from TheBananaPeel69:

That would be a hard one to do a poll on. But feel free to tell us your dream line-up.

#10 5 months ago

WMS Time Fantasy
BLY Mata Hari
GTB Countdown
STN Flight 2000

Game Plan Pinball Lizard
Zaccaria Farfalla

#11 5 months ago
Quoted from Electronmagic:

Well I will say you're line up would be easier to maintain.

I brought a basket case Black Knight back to life. Does that count? I'll go with that and Comet in the Willams department. And Flash as the best Steve Ritchie and the greatest art package ever.

Gottlieb gets Joker Poker because everybody loves a fun game that is easy to beat.

#12 5 months ago

I'll go with Joker Poker, Eight Ball Deluxe, Space Shuttle, and Nine Ball.. Not my favorite Bally or Williams, but both still great. This choice has the best Gottlieb out of all the groups and I actually prefer Joker Poker over some of the other Bally, Williams and Stern choices.

#13 5 months ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

I'll go with Joker Poker, Eight Ball Deluxe, Space Shuttle, and Nine Ball.. Not my favorite Bally or Williams, but both still great. This choice has the best Gottlieb out of all the groups and I actually prefer Joker Poker over some of the other Bally, Williams and Stern choices.

Hey sunnrat, I was in Phoenix in September and drove out to Glendale attempting to visit this location called Grumpy's Ice Box. Didn't realize it hadn't opened yet, but I looked through the Windows and it looks like it will be epic when it does open. I saw at least 30 '80's titles in there, mostly Bally. Do you happen to know anything about it? I'm hoping it's open when I next head down to Phoenix.

#14 5 months ago

This is still one of my favorite eras of pinball. These pre-1986 line-ups have one game from each manufacturer (Gottlieb, Bally, Williams, and Stern).
Which four-game line-up would you choose?

Nine Ball is one of my favorite Classic Sterns!

You make it tough, but out of the choices given, my custom lineup would be:

Haunted House, Flash Gordon, Sorcerer, Nine Ball

#15 5 months ago

Barracora, Nine Ball, Flash Gordon, and Pink Panther.

I could spend all day coming up with these combos - my favorite era too.

#16 5 months ago

Of your choices, I’d go with the EBD group.

My own four would be EBD, Big Game, Black Knight, Joker Poker

#17 5 months ago

Hey sunnrat, I was in Phoenix in September and drove out to Glendale attempting to visit this location called Grumpy's Ice Box. Didn't realize it hadn't opened yet, but I looked through the Windows and it looks like it will be epic when it does open. I saw at least 30 '80's titles in there, mostly Bally. Do you happen to know anything about it? I'm hoping it's open when I next head down to Phoenix.

All I know is the place has been years in the making, going back pre-Covid. I never crossed paths with the owner but I know folks who are more familiar with him. Been a long process, dealing with the city of Glendale and getting all those games ready. Haven't heard anything lately about that place for a long time, but I hope it works out. Incredible line up, especially for fans of this era.

#18 5 months ago

If I were buying 4 early SS games, they would likely be all Bally. If I have to spread across manufacturers it would probably be: Genie, Paragon, Sorcerer, and Flight 2000.

#19 5 months ago

I have a hard enough time just picking a lineup of 4 from the ones I own... which would be Alien Star, Stars, Star Light and Fathom to fit the criteria of different manufactures.

#20 5 months ago

Early SS is where it's at. Id say Black Hole, Blackout, Meteor, and Bally is very hard for me to pick but probably Skateball. It's a tossup between Skateball, Harlem Globetrotters, Strikes and Spares, Paragon

#21 5 months ago

Dream 4:

Centaur, Fathom, Eight Ball Deluxe, Joker Poker

Honorable Mention: Paragon

#22 5 months ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

All I know is the place has been years in the making, going back pre-Covid. I never crossed paths with the owner but I know folks who are more familiar with him. Been a long process, dealing with the city of Glendale and getting all those games ready. Haven't heard anything lately about that place for a long time, but I hope it works out. Incredible line up, especially for fans of this era.

Ah, I see. It was cool to see all those '80's pins in one place, even if it was just through the window. It would be nice if he could get it going.

#23 5 months ago

I feel like spirit is dragging down centaur, sorcerer and star gazer.

Spirit is all about rarity. Interesting looking game but boring.

#24 5 months ago
Quoted from jgreene:

I feel like spirit is dragging down centaur, sorcerer and star gazer.
Spirit is all about rarity. Interesting looking game but boring.

I've played Spirit a few times, maybe not enough to get a good feel for it, but it seemed fun. But yeah it seems like that whole line-up should have more votes.

Which Gottlieb would you put in place of Spirit?

#25 5 months ago

Black Hole, Seawitch, Blackout and Centaur.

I own them for a reason.

#26 5 months ago

I just missed out on a Joker Poker a few years back. Been keeping my eye out for one ever since, but it's been elusive thus far. I played it too many years ago to remember how good it is, but everyone seems to love it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newtown Square, PA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Patchogue, NY
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-early-ss-big-4-line-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.