Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Captainhook
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20181017_172837 (resized).jpg
082d8cc291c543fd0a276b5603b3e91e8e1eeeb8 (resized).jpg
ali_2.jpg
SG right bank.jpg
163460.jpg
Family Guy.jpg
meteor sweep.jpg
IMG_4943.jpg
Space Station Sweep.jpg
SSH-sweep-10.jpg
image-941.jpg
seawitch sweep.jpg
image.jpg
55adff8778aa08799ca9d80702b1d93c0aa38aa4.jpg

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Do you like a drop target sweep shot?

One of my favorite shots in pinball is the drop target sweep shot (where you can knock down all 3 or 4 drops with one shot, due to the ANGLE of the bank being near parallel to the ball travel from the flippers.)

1. What game is your favorite drop target sweep shot?
2. Why is it your favorite?
3. (Please include a close up shot so people can see the drop target bank.)

(If you see someone post your favorite, please give it a thumbs up -- I'll take the TEN with the most thumbs up and create a fun poll when we get all the games identified.)

thanks!
-mof

#2 4 years ago

DROP TARGET BANKS with a fun SWEEP SHOT

Designed for Easy Sweep
1979, Flash
1980, Flight 2000
1980, Seawitch
1980, Star Gazer
1980, Quicksilver
1980, Cheetah
1981, Fathom
1982, Dragonfist
1984, Space Shuttle
1987, Space Station
1989, Whirlwind
1990, Rollergames
1994, Maverick
1994, Baywatch
1994, Flinstones
2007, Family Guy

Sweep Possible
1979, Meteor
1979, Gorgar
1980, Xenon
1981, Nine Ball
1986, PinBot (JackBot)
1989, Police Force
1994, WWF

Partial Sweep Possible
1992, Judge Dredd
2012, AC/DC Premium

Sweep Possible if you can control gravity with your mind
1978, Sinbad
1979, Time Warp

#3 4 years ago

1. My favorite drop target sweep shot is: Space Shuttle
2. It's my favorite because if you make a dirty shot in that lane (not dead center) you get rewarded not only with the drop sweep, but with the spinner rip. 2 for the price of 1.

-mof

SSH-sweep-10.jpg

#4 4 years ago

There are a lot of games I haven't played,but the Jackbot I once owned had a good achievable sweep of the 3 drop targets.

55adff8778aa08799ca9d80702b1d93c0aa38aa4.jpg
#5 4 years ago

Xenon 1-2-3-4 upper button drop target activator

#6 4 years ago

Whirlwind. When you sweep the 3 bank you get a cool bonus award.
Also a cool light show.

image.jpg
#7 4 years ago

Hmmm...

PinBot
Xenon

In my book, I wouldn't consider any drop target banks along the lower perimeter of a PF designed for a "sweep" by the lower 2 flippers. I'm thinking of banks that are literally parallel to the shot angle, so you can sweep right through all 3-4 drops "frequently" with one shot (like it's their design to be swept)... While I can see that it's "theoretically possible" to nail all 4 of those drops in PinBot or Xenon, I would no sooner pretend I can kill all 4 drops in Centaur with one shot or all 6 in Fathom with one.

I'm starting to wonder if all drop banks that are designed for a sweep are in the center or near the center of the PF -- it may or may not be true, but I would imagine most are there. (One exception I can think of is Seawitch where you can sweep the middle bank with the upper right flipper.)

-mof

#8 4 years ago

Time Warp where the curved flippers put the spin on the ball so you get all 8 drops in one motion.

#9 4 years ago

Seawitch gets my second best nomination after Space Shuttle

Upper right flipper can rip 4 drops !

-mof

seawitch sweep.jpg

#10 4 years ago

You can totally sweep AC/DC from the top down. THE best sweep shot in the world.. (for me anyway lol).. coz it requires a successful bank to work. Suh weet.

#11 4 years ago

Bonus for the sweep on F2K is always satisfying!
image-941.jpg

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Bonus for the sweep on F2K is always satisfying!

Very interesting one (as a result of a lane shot)... does the bank sweep frequently?
-mof

#13 4 years ago

My 3rd favorite drop bank sweep shot:

Space Station

It's another combo shot, where you can sweep all 3 drops AND nail the shot into the VUK.

-mof

Space Station Sweep.jpg

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

Whirlwind. When you sweep the 3 bank you get a cool bonus award.
Also a cool light show.

Yep, that one has got to be one of the best ever.
-mof

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Very interesting one (as a result of a lane shot)... does the bank sweep frequently?
-mof

Yep, lane shot through a spinner. Sweeps frequently but you can never hit it reliably when the bonus is lit!

#16 4 years ago

Space Station (same as Space Shuttle)
Quicksilver - center bank can be swept from right flipper to spot a letter towards extra ball/special/75K super bonus. BUT... it's a sucker shot... miss it to the right and you hit the edge of the target or the post and send the ball SDTM.

IMG_4943.jpg

#17 4 years ago

Seawitch is probably my favorite, but Meteor is a great one as well. Due to the angle of the rubber rings around the drop banks, you can sweep the 1's, 2's, and 3's drop banks. But the best sweep is the 2's bank and if you hit it right, you can sweep the 2's bank and also sweep part of the meteor bank with the same shot.

meteor sweep.jpg

#19 4 years ago

I do enjoy sweeping the drug rat into jail for sure. I voted for Whirlwind however, simply because of the lights and sounds.

#20 4 years ago

I forgot about JD, you can sweep the drop bank from the upper left flipper. I haven't been able to sweep the full bank, but you can get at least the first 3, making it easier to complete the bank in order start locking balls.

#21 4 years ago

Wwf royal rumble. The 4 drop target bank.
The dead targets for the undertaker.
They are located to the far left of the playfield.
When I had one every now and then I could sweep all four targets.
Good fun.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

I forgot about JD, you can sweep the drop bank from the upper left flipper. I haven't been able to sweep the full bank, but you can get at least the first 3, making it easier to complete the bank in order start locking balls.

Now that looks like a fun shot...

-mof

#23 4 years ago

Gtb Sinbad. Sweeping all four red drops at the upper left lights the upper lane special directly above them.

A sweet shot will nail all four drops.
An amazing shot will nail all four drops and hit the special in one glorious curve.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Quicksilver - center bank can be swept from right flipper to spot a letter towards extra ball/special/75K super bonus. BUT... it's a sucker shot... miss it to the right and you hit the edge of the target or the post and send the ball SDTM.

This looks like a really fun shot -- if you remove a one-way gate from the game can you get a full orbit shot going spinner to spinner, or is it not aligned that way?

-mof

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Time Warp where the curved flippers put the spin on the ball so you get all 8 drops in one motion.

Is that like a 1 in a million shot?

Cool to know about -- I'm really looking for drop banks designed at a parallel or near parallel angle to the ball shot off (a flipper, not a ricochet) that sweep easily. I'll make an honorable mention category for the games where it's "possible" but not exactly designed for the sweep shot.

-mof

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from TheShameGovernor:

Gtb Sinbad. Sweeping all four red drops at the upper left lights the upper lane special directly above them.
A sweet shot will nail all four drops.
An amazing shot will nail all four drops and hit the special in one glorious curve.

Hmmm... I'm really looking for drops that are designed to be swept -- shots that are make-able 1-in-3 to perhaps 1-in-10 times depending on your skill level...

Is that a banked shot? How is it made? How often can it be made?

-mof

#27 4 years ago

Do any modern Sterns have a good sweep shot?
-mof

#28 4 years ago

Maybe acdc prem/le
Maybe NASCAR.
Maybe walking dead.
The way the drops are set on these games it is possible but difficult to do.
Right now I can't think of any other receint sterns with drop targets.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

Maybe acdc prem/le
Maybe Nascar.
Maybe Walking Dead.
The way the drops are set on these games it is possible but difficult to do.
Right now I can't think of any other receint sterns with drop targets.

NASCAR would be a monumentally tough sweep. I dont think I ever pulled it off when I owned it.

#30 4 years ago

My favorite would be Space Shuttle. Not as easy as it looks to do!

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

This looks like a really fun shot -- if you remove a one-way gate from the game can you get a full orbit shot going spinner to spinner, or is it not aligned that way?
-mof

No the spinners are not aligned. Left spinner feeds into the upper lanes. Right spinner feeds into the pops.

#32 4 years ago

Mustang, all 5 Gears targets. I have done it, a lucky ricochet from the right side and WOW!

#33 4 years ago

AC/DC I have swept all 5 once and gotten 4 a couple of times. It is also the only game I have with drops at this time.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Nascar would be a monumentally tough sweep. I dont think I ever pulled it off when I owned it.

I was thinking the same thing due to where they are placed.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

There are a lot of games I haven't played,but the Jackbot I once owned had a good achievable sweep of the 3 drop targets.

55adff8778aa08799ca9d80702b1d93c... 78 KB

Pin*Bot can be added to this as well. It is a risky shot, from the right flipper.

#36 4 years ago

How about Family Guy. I would reckon those drops are parallel enough to the ball shots from either flipper to warrant a good sweep. Can anyone attest to this being a good shot?

-mof

Family Guy.jpg

#37 4 years ago

We're up to 7 titles now...

Do you know of a game with an "easily-sweepable" drop target bank?

thanks!
-mof

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Partial Sweep Possible
1992, Judge Dredd

Partial sweep? I go for all five after the initial launch! Usually get at least four. There you go mof. And it's not even an EM.

#39 4 years ago

I can fairly consistently get the upper three drop targets on Gorgar with one shot.

#40 4 years ago

Seawitch The center bank
Meteor The 2's
Whirlwind center

I love the drop target games.
Skateball
EBD
Stargazer
QS
FG

They are all fun...

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Do any modern Sterns have a good sweep shot?

WPT

#42 4 years ago

Nineball's upper right 3-bank gets swept all the time, and the ball usually ricochets straight into the other 3-bank. I've gotten 4-5 of those targets many times, and maybe even all 6 once or twice.

#43 4 years ago

Fathom 123 targets come to mind. Clean sweep lights extra ball.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

Meteor The 2's

Or shooting the 2 bank and sweeping the m-e-t-e-o-r bank.

#45 4 years ago

Baywatch has a good 3-target sweep shot.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from papazit1963:

Baywatch has a good 3-target sweep shot.

Added. Ty
-mof

#47 4 years ago

Looking at the Classic Stern games, there are a few other ones that look like they have sweepable banks of drop targets. Can anyone confirm?

Cheetah
is it possible to sweep the center 5 bank on Cheetah from the upper left flipper? It looks like it would be possible. If you can sweep the bank into the mini-orbit with spinner, I will have to get me one!

Catacomb
I am also guessing one of the drop banks of Stern Catacomb can be swept, but don't know for sure.

Viper
The upper right drop bank looks sweepable to me.

Also, a couple others...

Fathom
Center drop bank looks sweepable from the upper right flipper

Flash
Center drop bank looks sweepable from the upper right flipper

#48 4 years ago

Flintstones has a couple really good sets of drops that you can sweep.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

Looking at the Classic Stern games, there are a few other ones that look like they have sweepable banks of drop targets. Can anyone confirm?
Cheetah
is it possible to sweep the center 5 bank on Cheetah from the upper left flipper? It looks like it would be possible. If you can sweep the bank into the mini-orbit with spinner, I will have to get me one!

On Cheetah it is possible to sweep the 5-bank of drops with the upper left flipper. I don't think I ever got it to sweep those and then go around the 3-bank horseshoe with the spinner. The 5-bank are supposed to be hit in order 1-5 (left to right). It's nice to sweep those with the UL flipper as it spots them in order.

#50 4 years ago

Flash is a favorite of mine, the sweep is very attainable from the upper flipper.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 11.95
$ 259.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Athens, TX
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 24.50
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
Sale Pending!
Blandon, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
€ 8.40
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside