Best drill bit type for drilling locks?

By chuckwurt

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I am going to pick up a Fire! next weekend and I am going to assume they will not be able to find the keys for the backbox or the coin door. What is a good drill bit type for drilling the locks quickly? The only other time I drilled locks it took way too long I think due to the drill bit I was using not being the best.

thanks for the help.

#2 8 years ago

A sharp bit designed to drill steel. Even though the lock is mainly cast aluminum & brass.

#3 8 years ago

1/4" drill bit. Drill right in the middle and drill all the way through. This should cut the nut off on the back of the lock. I always have a 3/8" drill bit just in case I dont cut all the way through the nut. Too big of a drill bit takes to long to drill and is unnessasary.

#4 8 years ago

thanks guys. I will get all types mentioned and make sure I have a full charge on my drill before heading out there to get the pin.

#5 8 years ago

I might be overly cautious, but I work from a thin bit and work up to a larger bit until everything comes loose. I don't use any special drill bit.

#6 8 years ago

Definitely use a drill bit for metal/steel - not a wood bit. 1/4" works good -> it's actually very easy.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Definitely use a drill bit for metal/steel - not a wood bit. 1/4" works good -> it's actually very easy.

and use a shop vac in the other hand to suck up all the shavings before they get everywhere.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from dug:

And use a shop vac in the other hand to suck up all the shavings before they get everywhere.

Like underneath components on the circuit boards!

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Like underneath components on the circuit boards!

I guess I would have to vac afterwards cause I can't catch what is inside the cab when drilling it out?

I will just make sure to give the game a good vac before booting up.

#10 8 years ago

Carbide should cut through the aluminum like soft butter. Use a slow RPM motor and some cutting oil.

#11 8 years ago

go slow, not alot of pressure, let the bit do the work, or you'll just dull it before you finish.

#12 8 years ago

Get the black and gold colored bits.

#13 8 years ago

Drill the coin door first and maybe find the backbox keys inside ! I don't know how the lock on the backbox works on Fire but newer locks you can just unscrew the complete plate held on with security head screws .

#14 8 years ago

Get 3 Cobalt bits.Start with a #11-Step up to a #3-a 5/16 should finish the job.Also agree with the coin door first.No need for lube.Slow and steady pressure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-drill-bit-type-for-drilling-locks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.