(Topic ID: 138020)

Best Don Bluth movie to make into a pinball?

By Richthofen

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which Bluth movie/property would make the best pinball?”

• The Secret Of NIMH 6 votes
      14%
    • All Dogs Go To Heaven 0 votes
    • Titan A.E 6 votes
      14%
    • An American Tail 1 vote
      2%
    • Space Ace (video game) 8 votes
      18%
    • Dragon’s Lair (video game) 23 votes
      52%

(44 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

titan_a_e_concept_art_361.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Title says it all. Thinking about the art styles in pinball, I feel like a Don Bluth drawn playfield/game would be amazing. He already had success with Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. I know hand-drawn animation is basically dead in favor of CGI but Don Bluth's art still stands the test of time in a lot of ways. My vote would be Titan A.E. (Soundtrack done by The Urge, an underground michigan band that contributed the 'learn to fly' track). Imagine this kind of art on the playfield!

titan_a_e_concept_art_361.jpgtitan_a_e_concept_art_361.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Don was a friend. Went to his studio before Secret of Nimh. I introduced him to Tim Hildebrandt who eventually painted the poster!

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Don was a friend. Went to his studio before Secret of Nimh. I introduced him to Tim Hildebrandt who eventually painted the poster!

So cool! I admire Bluth a lot, being able to look back on it now... Dude pushed the boundaries and incorporated a lot of computer animation into his films, and wanted to bring animation to the mainstream audience. Flash forward now and plenty of adults go to Pixar / CGI movies along with kids. I also thought his arcade games were really revolutionary. I think in the end Pixar put it together a full package quicker (had its origins in tech, not animation), and they beat both Disney and Fox.

#4 8 years ago

No Land Before Time?

I probably watched more than the others as a kid. That or American Tale.

Love all of his work. Any one would be an awesome pin theme.

#5 8 years ago

Nimh followed by American tale.

#6 8 years ago

I loved them all but Dragon's Lair makes the most sense for pinball

#7 8 years ago

Dragon's lair pin would be a dream come true....

#8 8 years ago

Imagine a dragons lair pin with an LCD and scenes from the game. Instead of a joystick each scene could be a hurry up shot to a lit insert. I prefer space ace tho; I'm more into scifi than fantasy

#9 8 years ago

NIMH. You do tasks to unlock/raise the cinder block. Visiting the great owl, going to the rose bush, etc..

#10 8 years ago

Can I vote for all of them?

Personal fav- nimh, that movie hit me at the right time as a child and I've loved it ever since.

Most logical would be dragon lair. There's such a wide fan base for that franchise.

Great topic. I can't wait to see all of the cool ideas that people have.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Imagine a dragons lair pin with an LCD and scenes from the game. Instead of a joystick each scene could be a hurry up shot to a lit insert. I prefer space ace tho; I'm more into scifi than fantasy

Highway pin!!!! The screen is right in the play field. You could make both space ace and lair on different play fields and swap them into the cabinet

#12 8 years ago

It would be neat to merge a Dragon's Lair with pinball, with an LCD screen like Heighway.

The shots would vary depending on the mode/scene. You wouldn't have much time though, but I'm sure someone could kind of work it out.

Something like the rope swinging, shoot left ramp to grab the next rope.

The rolling ball room... triggers a multiball. shoot center spinner to move past. ANY balls drain your flippers go dead and you see Dirk get squished.

It would be way more "interactive" than the original game.

#13 8 years ago

Don Bluth is an interesting guy...left Disney to do his thing - but unfortunately never was able to outdo them. He could animate - but was a terrible storyteller. After Nimh and American Tail, his movies got progressively worse. Thumbelina, Pebble and the Penguin, Rock-a-Doodle, Anastasia and Titan A.E.? Oooooph....terrible terrible films. As he got older, his technique got as dated as his storytelling. The CG elements of Anastasia and Titan were clunky and choppy. His character acting became cliche (cross the arms, smirk, eyebrow up!).

I applaud him for being able to do his thing as long as he did though - for a while there was always a Bluth movie coming out as a "Disney Alternative". When I was younger I'd go see ANYTHING animated...but I remember forcing my friends to go see Rock-a-Doodle with me. They walked out...I was completely embarrassed lol

Anyway as far as a pin goes? Geeze....I don't think the general public has enough strong nostalgia for any of his films or games....but if I had to vote, I'd go Space Ace - as it was a fast & frentic...could possibly lend itself to a pinball. More people remember Dragon's Lair, though.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Don Bluth is an interesting guy...left Disney to do his thing - but unfortunately never was able to outdo them. He could animate - but was a terrible storyteller. After Nimh and American Tail, his movies got progressively worse. Thumbelina, Pebble and the Penguin, Rock-a-Doodle, Anastasia and Titan A.E.? Oooooph....terrible terrible films. As he got older, his technique got as dated as his storytelling. The CG elements of Anastasia and Titan were clunky and choppy. His character acting became cliche (cross the arms, smirk, eyebrow up!).
    I applaud him for being able to do his thing as long as he did though - for a while there was always a Bluth movie coming out as a "Disney Alternative". When I was younger I'd go see ANYTHING animated...but I remember forcing my friends to go see Rock-a-Doodle with me. They walked out...I was completely embarrassed lol
    Anyway as far as a pin goes? Geeze....I don't think the general public has enough strong nostalgia for any of his films or games....but if I had to vote, I'd go Space Ace - as it was a fast & frentic...could possibly lend itself to a pinball. More people remember Dragon's Lair, though.

Don is a interesting fellow for sure. My favorite movie he was apart of was Robin Hood but that was disney. Still he was lead on that one. Secret of Nimh was creepy when I was a kid. Not as creepy as water ship down but still.

1 month later

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-don-bluth-movie-to-make-into-a-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.