(Topic ID: 9195)

Best device for facilitating leg removal when alone?

By gweempose

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by system11
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6a010534fc7768970b01675f410a7d970b-550.jpg
    dscn1423.jpg
    189dd177-49a1-40de-9458-313e5a0e65d7_4.jpg
    2011-12-28_18.21.39.jpg
    2011-12-28_18.20.14.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

I'm looking for something that will make it easy for me to install/remove the legs from a machine when I am alone. What would you guys recommend? Some type of dolly on wheels that you jack up?

#2 12 years ago

Either a pinball dolly or I simply use sawhorses front and back when I remove mine.

#4 12 years ago

Thanks for the link! That dolly looks really nice. It's expensive, but in my experience, you generally get what you pay for. This particular dolly looks like it would be a commercial grade piece of equipment.

#5 12 years ago

I used 4 x 4 PVC Fence post cut 1 inch higher then base of pin. Lean it against front of pin, lift and it falls under it, then lower. My invention. I made 2 sets. I can take pic if needed. Cost less then 20 bucks.

#6 12 years ago

I use 2 milk crates and a 2"x6" piece of wood. Lift and slide the stacked milk crates and wood under the edge of the game. This lifts the legs up about 1 to 2 inches.

#7 12 years ago

I use folding bar stools from Xmas tree shop. Its a challenge to move the pin anywhere from those stools with just one person but it is doable. I've moved all my pins that way. Just using 2 people

#8 12 years ago

If I am just taking one off at a time then I use my Knee as a prop. If all 4 are coming off for refurb then I use sawhorses.

#9 12 years ago

Much cheaper hydraulic lift option is below. Wesperron seems to have the same lift and he posted a picture of how he did it.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-dolly
    I modified the bar in front on mine with a hinge to get it out of the way so I can position the lift where ever I want it usually straight in front and underneath in the middle. Well worth the minimal cost IMO.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-lift-table-94822.html

#10 12 years ago

+1 on the Harbor Freight table. I have one and use the heck out of it.

#11 12 years ago

I use a single old leg.
    Place it in the center on the back take off the legs and lower (balances itself)
    Tilt up take off front.

Reverse to install legs.

#12 12 years ago

I salute all of you who have made your own or modified the one from Harbor Freight. I know I could duplicate it but I just cant help longing for the Penguin Dolly. Saving my pennies but until then its the cut-down barstool for me.

#13 12 years ago

Bar stool

#14 12 years ago

I moved this pin2k revenge from mars into my house by myself in the middle of the night while my wife was sleeping. Heavy sob! 350lbs.

Cut down bar stools work but i didnt have one.

I used super sliders, small wheel dollies under each leg and my pin posts.

Pin posts. Cut heavy 4 x 4 PVC Fence post. 1 or 2 inches taller then base of pin. Mitter saw works. You need two sets. The back is higher due to tilt. These are light and easy to store.

Lean post against front or back of pin. Lift pin. Post will fall into position under pin. Use 2 for stability.

Hope this helps. 2011-12-28_18.20.14.jpg2011-12-28_18.20.14.jpg 2011-12-28_18.21.39.jpg2011-12-28_18.21.39.jpg

#15 12 years ago

Bar stools

#17 12 years ago

I see a lot of people use the bar stool. I figure if it will hold my heaviest friend (which is heavy!) it will hold the front of a pinball

#18 12 years ago

Sawhorses and a six pack of beer!

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

If I am just taking one off at a time then I use my Knee as a prop. If all 4 are coming off for refurb then I use sawhorses.

That's right Seal, man up!

#20 12 years ago

I'm with the sealclubber(but not for seal clubbing, they party way too hard). Put front legs on and tilt forward, put cab on your knee and attach the back legs.

#21 12 years ago

These work really well. I need to cut a piece for the rear legs for mine. http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/pinballjack/index.html

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I'm with the sealclubber(but not for seal clubbing, they party way too hard). Put front legs on and tilt forward, put cab on your knee and attach the back legs.

funny stuff!

#23 12 years ago

So if money wasn't an issue, does everyone agree that the Penguin dolly is the best solution?

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

ditto

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

I see a lot of people use the bar stool. I figure if it will hold my heaviest friend (which is heavy!) it will hold the front of a pinball

PC I hope I'm not your "heavy" friend.

#27 12 years ago

Another one for the trusty ol' bar stool. Works like a champ.

#28 12 years ago

Bar stool as well...
    When setting up NIB's though I use the pallet it came on to do the back legs.

That-
    Or little "Timmy"...
    6a010534fc7768970b01675f410a7d970b-550.jpg6a010534fc7768970b01675f410a7d970b-550.jpg

Good work Timmy, good work.

#29 12 years ago

2ft. ladder

189dd177-49a1-40de-9458-313e5a0e65d7_4.jpg189dd177-49a1-40de-9458-313e5a0e65d7_4.jpg

#30 12 years ago

Bar stool or hoist it up if you cannot find a stool to use.

dscn1423.jpgdscn1423.jpg

#31 12 years ago

Best ones ever made were the old Wicos. Sherman tanks. You'd have to luck into one on your local CL.

Penguins are a new imitation.

I cheaped out and modded a 500 lb HF table. Does the job pretty good. Cylinder can have a short lifespan. But I can make four of these to one Penguin.

If you need the directions for the mod, LMK.

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

So if money wasn't an issue, does everyone agree that the Penguin dolly is the best solution?

Well the lifts do the exact same thing. The Penguin seems like it would provide a little more stability than some cheaper lifts so in that way it may be a bit better. But in the end they all do the same thing lift it up and drop it back down. IMO if you are single handed there is nothing quicker, easier, or better than using a hydraulic lift.

#33 12 years ago

Depends.

I have a penguin in my gameroom. It works OK, but it's too high. I have plush carpet, and the penguin often won't fit under the front of the pin. I usually have to put it in from the side of the pin and lift it up.

Have a Wico lift in the workshop. It has concrete floors, so it doesn't have the height issue. Shock is worn out on my Wico lift, so it drops the pin pretty 'roughly'.

Also have a modified lift table in the workshop. It has a piece of plywood on top of it to cushion it under the pin, as the metal table could marr things up.

But when I'm taking a game from folded to on legs, I bolt the front legs on, tip it down, lift the back end onto a barstool, and attach the legs.

Once it's on its legs, if I need to remove a single leg to replace a leg plate, or change the levelers, or something like that, I just use the lift, remove the leg, service whatever, and reattach the leg.

#34 12 years ago

I just put the front legs on, tip it over, lift up the back and hold it with my knee like some others here. It's not particularly comfortable but I don't have a need to move games around weekly.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-device-for-facilitating-leg-removal-when-alone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.