Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by johnwartjr
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ss.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I've been eyeing the Hakko 808-5 for awhile now and I am ready to pull the plug on it but any last words of caution or reviews of another good tool in the same price range.
    I hear nothing but great things about the 808 so I'm sure it's a solid purchase but is there anything better for the money. I also hate the giant leads that connect to the stations, my soldering gun has one that's the size of a pencil and it's constantly twisting and always in the way so that's one of the big selling points for me with the 808.

#2 11 years ago

Here is a word of caution. You will have to do board work for all your friends. Seriously, it's an awesome tool.

#3 11 years ago

In my opinion there is nothing for the money that even compares to the Hakko 808. I've used thousand dollar soldering stations that didn't work as well. Shredso is correct that you'll have to do board work for your friends, but you'll look forward to it with the 808. Read the reviews on Amazon, that says it all.

By the way, I don't know if it was a special or not, but Fry's Electronics had the cheapest price by far when I bought mine.

#4 11 years ago

I've been Recommended the Hakko 808 by a friend of mine that does board repairs quite frequently. I believe he is repairing 12 rectifier boards for his weekend project.

#5 11 years ago

For your price range, the 808 will be hard to beat.

I have one in my 'road service' kit, and it works great. I prefer the 470 bench unit with 802 gun. I think you could get one and rebuild it for about the same price as an 808 - but I think I'd still recommend the 808 to a casual user.

#6 11 years ago

+1 to comments here. I got mine 2 weeks ago and have been making excuses to desolder boards. It's just that easy.

#7 11 years ago

i have had two of these so far. the first one fell off the bench and broke in half, so i had to buy another one. i am thinking about getting another one to keep at the house, since i usually leave the current one at the office.

i have used mine literally thousands of times and just love it.

#8 11 years ago

$180 on amazon, free shipping. Might have to pull the trigger. Would make things soooooooooo much easier!

#9 11 years ago

I've been thinking of this for over two years. Thanks to this post, it was enough of a kick in the ass to pull the trigger myself.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Thanks to this post, it was enough of a kick in the ass to pull the trigger myself

I've been on the fence for a while myself and this may cause me to pull the trigger as well

pinside. helping push those over the edge and give into peer pressure since 2009

#11 11 years ago

So much easier. Just do it, you won't be disappointed.

#12 11 years ago

If you do your own board work you will wonder why no one ever told you about it before you used it.

#13 11 years ago

Oh I knew about it, just too lazy to click "buy now". I am literally that lazy.

#14 11 years ago

Done, and I love it, now on to a larger replacement tip for bigger leads but yes got it at amazon for 179.99 and if you've been debating one it is worth every penny.
    If you plan on using it for connector pin replacement get a bigger tip.
    It came with carrying case, cleaning pin, 4 filters, 3 pre-filters, extra filter pipe, iron cover, and wrench.
    Thanks for the help with the decision.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#15 11 years ago

what are the specific recommended tips from those that own/use the 808?

#16 11 years ago

Clay just used one in a recent repair video for a simpsons pinball party (pins were too thin to use wick), I believe it was the hakko

#17 11 years ago

Good lord that thing is huge, but I guess thats the tradeoff with no base station.

#18 11 years ago

Well for some reason the pic is a little stretched because look at the LP size on the wall, it has a egg shape lol, pic was taken with a iPhone in pano mode, kinda weird,
    I think the tip needed for connector pins is a 1.3mm, that's like a 1006 tip I believe,

#19 11 years ago

A1003 for transistors, ICs, etc
    A1006 for .156 header pins, relays, etc

Don't forget the cleaning pins and cleaning drills!

#20 11 years ago

What's the benefit of the drill vs manually doing it? Does it do a better job than the cleaner that comes with it, I'm going to order the A1006 Monday and may get the drill cleaner along with it.

#21 11 years ago

i don't see the point, unless you're desoldering tons of stuff everyday or you're sloppy at it. desoldering guns are more of a pita than anything. unless you need to break out the big guns for extensive work. kinda doubt it for the majority of pin work. my 808 is still in the box. i use to think the same thing. i need an 808! life will be so much easier. right.

$3.95 does the trick just fine. in and out.

ss.jpgss.jpg

#22 11 years ago

I had one of those, it's in the garbage now. There really is no comparison of the two.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

i don't see the point unless you're soldering tons of stuff everyday.
    $3.95 does the trick just fine

Those are crap. For like $13 you can get the below which is 100x better, not as good as the 808 above, but 15x cheaper...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062731

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

Those are crap. For like $13 you can get the below which is 100x better, not as good as the 808 above, but 15x cheaper...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062731

Careful with those. They are not temperature controlled.

#25 11 years ago

I have been using a Hakko 703b rework station for years best set up for working on any electronics no spinning tips, and comes with either a desoldering pencil or gun and 2x 907 irons.
    The 808 is a heavy combersome gun and not recimended for pcb work becouse it will to easily ruin traces if you have to stand on it.
    Check ebay for used 703 stations they come up cheap sometimes but even if you pay a bit extra they are definately worth every cent.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

LOL.

As others have said, no comparison. Even desoldering coils is made easier by having a constant vacuum available. Your tiny little thing (thats what she said) can't take a giant solder blob, which is 90% of what I find when I look at coils people have soldered in.

Whether its a Hakko 808, 703, or Aoyue 747A+, anyone who desolders once a week should own one.

#27 11 years ago

You'll want the benchtop holder/stand for the 808:

http://www.tequipment.net/Hakko633-01.html

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Celiac502:

What's the benefit of the drill vs manually doing it? Does it do a better job than the cleaner that comes with it, I'm going to order the A1006 Monday and may get the drill cleaner along with it.

The cleaning drill is used to clean out a clogged tip.

It's a very thin drill bit, the size of the hole of the tip, and a pin vise, to turn the bit by hand.

Sometimes, the bit gets clogged, and the cleaning pin won't clear it. That's where the drill comes in handy.

I held off on ordering one for the longest time. After awhile, I bought one on a whim, and used it to salvage *3* clogged A1003 tips that I had on the shelf, but was unwilling to throw away.

The drill was 13 bucks. I saved 3 tips at 15 dollars a tip, and have cleared 2 clogged tips with it since. I would say it has paid for itself.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

i don't see the point, unless you're desoldering tons of stuff everyday or you're sloppy at it. desoldering guns are more of a pita than anything. unless you need to break out the Big Guns for extensive work. kinda doubt it for the majority of pin work. my 808 is still in the box. i use to think the same thing. i need an 808! life will be so much easier. right.

I've used the soldapult type desoldering tools in the past. They work OK for some jobs.

The quality of my rework has improved 500% since I started using vacuum desoldering stations. I use mine a lot. I can justify the expense personally because of the frequency I use it.

When I remove an IC from a PCB, you could reuse it if you wanted to. I can desolder a 40 pin PIA and have the holes clean and the chip look new in under 2 minutes, without lifting a trace.

I can't say that for when I used desoldering braid and a soldapult. Of course, I've repaired hundreds of boards at this point, versus just a few back then, so some of my proficiency at this point is undoubtedly from the additional experience gained in repairing more boards.

That A1006 tip, btw, is a godsend on relays, trying to remove a relay with a soldapult or braid is kinda like trying to push a rope.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-desoldering-gunstation-for-20000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.