(Topic ID: 273834)

Best “Deep” Pin?

By Bospins

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

00C373C1-8701-4D7B-99DE-636E2CBB0A70 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

I’ve got space for another pin.

I’ve got 80s and 90s BW covered. Looking for a deeper pin with longer ball times...something that would be really good in a home environment.

Which one do you guys / gals like best and why?

#3 3 years ago

These are all great games with lots to do and longer ball times. I would add Hobbit to the list as well.

#4 3 years ago

I concur with LOTR. I’d also say generally any JJP game.

#5 3 years ago

JP2... if we weren’t in a pandemic I’d say drive 20 mins and come over to play it

#6 3 years ago

Would you clarify what you mean by a “deep” pin.

Examples:

1) Long playing games with many tasks to accomplish that take multiple attempts to finish.

WPT is an excellent example.

2) Games with multiple goals that can “help you along the way “ to a larger goal /wizard mode

AC/DC does this

3) Mode based games.

Williams IJ, now make every switch on the pf...

4) Total risk/reward based rule sets

TWD

What kind of a game are you really looking for?

c2s

00C373C1-8701-4D7B-99DE-636E2CBB0A70 (resized).jpeg00C373C1-8701-4D7B-99DE-636E2CBB0A70 (resized).jpeg

#7 3 years ago

Everyone always says TSPP and LOTR but those aren’t easily available.

Watch some of the recent DeadFlip streams of JP2, EHOH, and BM66. Those are some super deep modern games that you can get right now.

#8 3 years ago

LOTR is always mentioned in these threads. Rightfully so. It is an amazing game. But it’s not because Valinor is out there and you’ll never see it. It’s because the modes and mini wizard modes you do see are fantastic.

What you’re probably looking for is a game that you’re not going to finish easily, and has a bunch of different stuff to do. Fortunately, most games made in the last 10 years fit that description.

#9 3 years ago

I find IMDN and DI to be perfect depth games. DI for longer play, IMDN for shorter.

#10 3 years ago

JJP POTC
    Hobbit (SUPER deep)
    Elvira HOH
    Houdini

Surprised not to see WOZ on here, although I’ve never “clicked” with it. Some may say the same about Houdini, but most of those
    people who bitch about it have never played it. Recent code is incredibly varied and fun

#11 3 years ago

Thanks guys, gave me some stuff to chase.

Was surprised to not see dialed in listed.

Really what I meant by deep is that the game feels kind of like a video game if that makes sense...not so much start a mode, do stuff, get points, start another...more like you have tasks to accomplish with an overarching story behind it.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bospins:

Really what I meant by deep is that the game feels kind of like a video game if that makes sense...not so much start a mode, do stuff, get points, start another...more like you have tasks to accomplish with an overarching story behind it.

Deadpool maybe?

#13 3 years ago

Stern Star Wars kinda feels like a Video Game to me when I play it. Lot's of story clips and depth.

#14 3 years ago

Bm66 seems like a storyline to me...each villain goes along a set of episodes from the show, so lots of depth that way.

#15 3 years ago

I have played DI numerous times. Is it really that much deeper than iron Maiden? I am not a high level player it must be deeper than I thought. I own Maiden and is is very deep and complex with always a lot going on.

#16 3 years ago

TSPP for depth with long plays.
    WOZ for depth that you will hardly see a third of because the outlanes are bitches.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bospins:

The. Hobbit. /thread

does this EXACT thing.

#18 3 years ago

Actually Deadpool is a good suggestion.

I played that on location at Logan arcade in Chicago during the “before times” and found it really fun.

Thanks!!

#19 3 years ago

Again, I think JP2 is what you’re looking for. It has a map on the play field and on the screen that you navigate as you advance the game. You hit a truck to change directions on the map. It’s like a pinball/board game/video game. It also has some of the best animations out there, very ps4 like. Good luck.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I concur with LOTR. I’d also say generally any JJP game.

This pretty much sums it up......all within the production years you are looking for

#21 3 years ago

Hobbit is a mix between a video game a movie and a pinball machine. Deepest game out there

#22 3 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I’ll keep on the lookout and maybe a nice machine will pop up.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bospins:

I wasn’t going to suggest Iron Maiden, but this description makes me think it’s a good fit. Trying to get 10 Tomb Treasures is the big overarching thing for the ultimate wizard mode, but there are also several other areas of the game that have their own arcs: playing all the modes, completing the power features, and getting Eddie Cards.

All of those things are tasks that roll up into bigger awards and mini-wizard modes.

I don’t think Deadpool is even in the same league as IMDN in terms of that stuff.

Batman 66 seems pretty deep...but maybe a better description is extremely wide with very deep and nuanced strategies within that width?

#24 3 years ago

There are some awesome answers here. Anything JJP puts out is a given. TSPP and LOTR are clearly good answers. Newer sterns like JP2, deadpool, and IM fit the bill.

Houdini, ACNC, and Oktoberfest are also really nice options.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but The Shadow is amazing.

Great games with depth are often found in the pinside top 100 (especially higher on the list)

#25 3 years ago

Deep games are exactly what I prefer. A machine that is both challenging w/ much to do is ideal for longevity in a home environment.

Though there have been several deep titles already mentioned, Star Trek & Stranger Things also fit this description. Two very entertaining machines that will definitely keep you busy for a while.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bospins:

Stern Star Wars. Playing through all the planets while needing to complete 5-6 tasks to make the final wizard mode.

#27 3 years ago

Older B/W games
    TZ
    STTNG
    IJ
    SHADOW
    I500

JJP
    Hobbit
    WOZ
    Pirates

“Older Sterns”
    RBION
    TSPP
    LOTR

Newer Sterns
    GOT
    Star Wars
    EHOH
    JP
    AC/DC
    TWD

#28 3 years ago

BM66 is the one pin I feel has longer ball times and has deep code to keep you interested for home use. Heaps to do with lots of villains and just so much fun.

#29 3 years ago

One other component to your search you may want to consider is also the "breadth" of the pins rules/features. Meaning: how many meaningful things are available to attempt at any given time, which adds a lot of repeat play because of the myriad of combinations of stacks, sequences, and approaches you can take to the game.

I find that rulesets from Keefer and Lyman, as well as the designs/rulesets from Elwin have fantastic combinations of depth and breadth.
    Dwight's rulesets also usually have great depth (Munsters excluded), and more recently, added variety from player-selectable path/character, but they don't have quite as much breadth as Keefer/Elwin/Lyman.

#30 3 years ago

Shadow is fun and has a lot of features in it, I like switching the diverters on the ramps and top level

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-deep-pin?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.