Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4047 (resized).JPG
IMG_4048 (resized).JPG
IMG_1823 (resized).JPG
IMG_1822 (resized).JPG
Jon Anderson (resized).jpg
The-Adolescents-Musink-2018-www.loyalphoto.com-meg-burcina_-8 (resized).jpg
f8fc730eabfcf3fe8b0e832faf853c39--ontario-california-california-history (resized).jpg
C4EB905B-6279-47F5-B147-8CEFA7D2AE2B (resized).jpeg
20171006_220806 (resized).jpg
20171006_222020 (resized).jpg
s-l225 (resized).jpg
MPW-16403 (resized).jpg
both (resized).png
Nirvana (resized).jpg
Axis - It's A Circus World (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I just watched it again for the first time in 36 years. I'm glad somebody was actually filming that night.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

No slight against Devo, but if that's the best concert you ever saw, you don't get out very often.

Actually I have been to probably hundreds of shows, the first of which was Led Zeppelin in 1977.

This particular Devo show was simply the right place and time. The sound quality was excellent too. Much better than this recording. But remember this is a bootleg.

I could go on and list many epic shows, but for some reason this one stood out at the time as being very special.

#5 7 years ago

Yes, it was even more memorable than this one.

#10 7 years ago

There's another one that's near top of my list. Again, it had to do with the right place and time.

They played a small theatre the night after x-mas 1987. It was their very first hometown show after realeasing AFD. There is some bootleg quality recordings out there, but they are rough. The concert itself was great.

s-l1600_(resized).jpgs-l1600_(resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If I had to pick one it would be the Rolling Stones 1994 Voo Doo Lounge tour in December at the Minneapolis Metrodome.

I was lucky that I got to see the Stones once and it was a great show. Some Girls tour at Anaheim Stadium in 1978. Peter Tosh and The Outlaws opened.

At one point during the show somebody threw a shoe at Mick Jagger and he said "I want all your shoes!"

I kept mine on. But I did have to duck. Shoes flying everywhere.

ShoesOnstage1978_(resized).pngShoesOnstage1978_(resized).png

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Queen in 1980 at Madison Square Garden

I saw them on that same tour and it was awesome. The Blasters opened for them.

http://www.queenconcerts.com/detail/live/476/queen-live-08-07-1980-forum-inglewood-california-usa.html

The ticket stub says $8.75 lol. Looks like it was two weeks before that Devo show.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I would have loved to see them back then. That would have been amazing.

It really was. TSOL opened for GnR that night too. Perkins Palace was the perfect venue. It opened in the 20s, but during the 80s we saw several shows there including one in one of the photos below. I heard it closed down in the early 90s. Pre internet pics are scarce.

Raymond_Theatre_Pasadena_1922_(resized).jpgRaymond_Theatre_Pasadena_1922_(resized).jpg
download_(resized).jpgdownload_(resized).jpg
TheJamConcertatPerkinsPalace_(resized).jpgTheJamConcertatPerkinsPalace_(resized).jpg

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Which one of those cars was yours, O-din?

There were about 200 Vespa scooters lined up outside the place for that Jam concert. Mod city. I drove the Galaxie 500 that night.

Oh, you mean which Model T? lol.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

To this day if I stare at the carpet long enough it moves a little & I hear techno music

Could be why Devo was the best show I ever saw?

images_(resized).jpgimages_(resized).jpg

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I've never gone to a concert drunk/wasted.

Me neither. I'd hate to let the music distort my buzz.

#33 7 years ago

Now that looks like quite the lineup.

#53 7 years ago

The Ramones opened up for these guys. (not my ticket, I went in).

BlkSab78BluLongBeachTix_(resized).jpgBlkSab78BluLongBeachTix_(resized).jpg

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Come on o-din, out of all the concerts you have been to, what is the best concert you have been to?

Devo at the Raincross Square in Riverside Ca. 1980.

At the time music was going thru a serious change and Devo was so far ahead of what everybody else was doing. Many people I knew were already tired of the old guard. This performance was them at their peek shortly before they became popular. I had never had such a good time at a live show. They were so full of energy and intelligence.

On the way home we stopped at Naugles for nachos.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

You should Pinball Browser some "Whip It !" into Big Daddy Big Daddy.

They started out with Whip It, seemed to get it out of the way. It wasn't even a hit yet. Then a couple other new songs.

By the time they got to Swelling Itching Brain midway thru, they had cut loose and Mothersbaugh took over. They were not robots, they were running, jumping and writhing on the stage. They put on one of the most energetic performances I had ever seen and left themselves and everybody in there sweaty and spent.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

That reminds me, I would have loved to see Blondie around that time. Did you ever get to see them O-din?

No, but one of their songs I really liked kind of went along with the whole energy vibe of the time.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Post a few pics o-din of your old car.

I don't have any pics of the 68 Galaxie XL that got stolen at the Who / Clash concert, but it looked a lot like this and served us well driving up and down the So Cal freeways in the late 70s and early 80s. It took us to a lot of shows and back.

6769203533_4f7a3c2d00_z_(resized).jpg6769203533_4f7a3c2d00_z_(resized).jpg

#77 7 years ago

I might have had the Galaxie in the paint shop when we saw Devo. It's always nice to have a backup...

I bought one of these for $100 that needed some work.. My first "modern" car.

th_(resized).jpgth_(resized).jpg

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

That one Drop Dead/ DRI show in 1990 where I caugt the drumstick with my face at the end.

I caught one of the blank shells in the head from Halford's sub machine gun antics on the Hell Bent tour. Wonder if they still do that?

robgun_(resized).jpgrobgun_(resized).jpg

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Such great memories, although my hearing is suffering.....blew an ear drum on Eathday Birthday Concert.

I think I lost a little in my left ear when Alex Lifeson hit one of those high notes sitting second row for this one. But it was worth it..

Setting_The_Course_-_Back_(resized).jpgSetting_The_Course_-_Back_(resized).jpg

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Hope it had the V-6. At the very least.

No, the 2 liter was the shiite...

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

They were very fast back in the day. Now a Toyota Prius would drag them off.

bring it

hqdefault_(resized).jpghqdefault_(resized).jpg

#98 7 years ago

Could it be the missed gig staggering distance from home?

#99 7 years ago

The worst concerts I saw were Aerosmith and The Plasmatics. Seperatelly. But at least Wendy-O tried.

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

I saw Aerosmith in about 1978.They sucked so bad you could barely tell which song they were playing.I think they were really fucked up.

Yep, 1978 I saw them with about a half million other people at Cal Jam 2. I'm somewhere in the middle of that mess. Ted was pretty darn good that day

57579987_(resized).jpg57579987_(resized).jpg

hqdefault_(resized).jpghqdefault_(resized).jpg

#113 7 years ago

Saw Styx on the Grand Delusion tour with April Wine at the Anaheim convention center.

It was OK because we took a couple of cute girls from the neighborhood, but we had just seen Judas Priest at the Starwood the night before on the Hell Bent tour and that ranks in my all time top 5 so it's all relative.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Odin that looks like a nightmare. Folks just shittin in their drawers ? Wow the aroma.

It was a nightmare standing in line to get in for 5 hours packed like sardines, but once inside it was a total relief. We slept on the lawn and when I woke up some dude I knew that didn't come with us was standing over me with bloodshot eyes and said "wake up!"

How he ever found us in that crowd still blows my mind.

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

In the late 70's I saw Blue Oyster cult.My ears were ring'in for days.Good concert though.

" On your feet or on your knees, ladies and gentlemen the amazing Blue Oyster Cult!"

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Oingo Boingo in 1980 at the Wolf-Riss Miller Country Club in Reseda. This was before ANYONE had heard of them.

Almost anyone.

Billy Zoom of X was insanely good and never moved his feet an inch the entire concert.

But I bet he was smiling the whole time.

an unknown band called U2

Hollywood Paladium 1981

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Johnny Cash. Four concerts. Best was the first one in 1972 as I was in awe to see him live after watching the Johnny Cash show on teevee from '69 to '71.

And you win the prize!

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Ok. So no one is answering.

Can you hear me Major Tom?

#138 7 years ago

He sure was! He never moved from the waist down the entire concert. He came out at the beginning, got in his familiar stance with his feet about 3 feet apart, and shredded the entire show. I was dumbstruck at how good he was.

Yeah, I saw X with the Blasters at some club. Can't remember which one but it will come to me eventually.

X was awesome and the Blasters were real loud. Probably how they got their name.

#139 7 years ago

Oh $hit!

I just remembered I saw The Suburban Lawns once too.

#141 7 years ago

I bet you've heard of Gang of Four too. Saw them open for Iggy Pop sometime early 80s. That was a pretty good double bill.

#149 7 years ago

Maybe it's time for a TedVe.

#151 7 years ago

This one I'll never forget.

#166 7 years ago

I'm glad my daughter enjoys the same "normal" music I do.

#167 7 years ago

Back to favorite concerts. When I saw Priest at The Starwood club in 1979 they were simply amazing. And it was such a small place that we were a couple feet from the stage. There is a bootleg recording out there somewhere, but it got seized it would seem.

This is the setlist I found on the interwebs, but I know there were at least a couple more songs like Sinner, Genocide, and Burnin' Up I remember they played.

Exciter
Delivering the Goods
Running Wild
Hell Bent for Leather
Beyond the Realms of Death
The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown)
(Fleetwood Mac cover)
Evil Fantasies
White Heat, Red Hot
Victim of Changes
Rock Forever
Starbreaker
The Ripper
Tyrant

#170 7 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

Best concert: Talking Heads, Saratoga Springs, NY 1985

I sure saw a lot of shows in 1980. Turning 18 gives you the freedom to do such things I guess.

English Beat opened this show at The Greek Theatre in LA. The Greek is one of the most awesome places to take in a live event.

Setlist:
Psycho Killer
Warning Sign
Stay Hungry
Cities
I Zimbra
Drugs
Once in a Lifetime
Animals
Houses in Motion
Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)
Crosseyed and Painless
Life During Wartime

Encore:
Take Me to the River
(Al Green cover)

Encore 2:
The Great Curve

#172 7 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

But for you old timers one of the best shows would be Rogers Waters The Wall

I went to the original Pink Floyd Wall concert and I must say despite the hype, it was rather boring to me. I would have rather seen the Animals tour where they did Wish You Were Here as well.

Going to this show completed my transition from watching old stadium rockers to the newer wave shows in smaller clubs and venues at the time.

#176 7 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

The original tour was boring even though I'm not old enough to go
The New wall is pretty much the largest Screen with some amazing effects.

Large screen? At the 1980 Wall show they built it out of blocks. The animation they showed on the wall was the most entertaining part of the show. But I still almost fell asleep.

wallnc (resized).jpgwallnc (resized).jpg

#179 7 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

Anyone else see this thread and start looking for live music nearby?

I had planned to go see Cage The Elephant earlier this summer but due to old age it passed me by.

#180 7 years ago

I'm not sure I've got two hours to take this one in again, but as mentioned before The Greek Theatre on the hillside of Griffith Park up in the pine trees is a most awesome place to see any band. And this was an awesome band to see there.

Greek-Theatre-Main (resized).jpgGreek-Theatre-Main (resized).jpg

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

I would give anything to see that show.Floyd is my favorite.

I wanted to go to this one. My buddy went and I got all the details after he got back.

The grass is always greener....

s-l300 (resized).jpgs-l300 (resized).jpg

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pink-floyd/1977/anaheim-stadium-anaheim-ca-23d7683f.html

#184 7 years ago

It didn't take long for your video to get blocked. lol

Like I said the original wall show was an epic snoozefest for me. It was prefabricated and packaged. There were much more exciting shows to go to at the time.

#186 7 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

That must have been the same tour that they had a concert at Big Surf in Tempe ,Arizona.

I had to do a little research on that. It appears they did a show at the waterpark in 1972. A few years earlier.

#188 7 years ago

I guess a grainy video is better than no video. Nope, no exploding pigs at the wall show.

#203 7 years ago

Pantera was a last minute addition to this show. Cowboys from Hell was their latest album. That little auditorium was pretty raucous that night.

BCR900819-HB (resized).jpgBCR900819-HB (resized).jpg

#204 7 years ago

I'll just stick this here.

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#260 7 years ago

One of my favorite concert experiences is when Lux Interior reached out and patted me on the top of my head. It was about the third time I'd seen them. They were probably happy they had at least one fan.

#283 7 years ago
Quoted from Fresh_Wax:

imagine being able to see zeppelin like this

Yeah, I must have been about seven years too late then. But it was my first concert and lasted almost four hours so I'm not complaining. I had a great time.

#287 7 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

7. BOC, Cheap Trick, Pat Travers @ California State Fair in '79.

Nice set of shows you went to. I saw this same tour at the Long Beach Arena with Gamma instead of Cheap Trick. Cheap Trick played New Years Eve at the same venue and we went to that too.

Quoted from gatordad:

Metallica "Justice for All" with Queensryche "Operation Mindcrime"
1989 UIC pavillion 3 rd row

Again two separate shows I saw at Irvine Meadows. We went to Metallica two nights in a row.

The Operation Mindcrime show was epic. They were very good. I think Faith No More opened for them.

#292 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Thin Lizzy. I wish.

Same here. Never did.

Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I loved KNAC and now only KNAC.com

They were more than a radio station, they were a way of life.

Our local pure rock station KNAC would do an anniversary show every year including some all star jams.

Party Ninjas in 1988 was one of my favorites. I even bought the t-shirt. The next year was pretty good too.

Check out the guest list-

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/pure-rock-105-5-knac-1988-01-05-santa-monica-ca-aud-fm-flac-202621.html

kgrhqjhjboe7ymgfi5zbpfyf7p0g6057_480 (resized).jpgkgrhqjhjboe7ymgfi5zbpfyf7p0g6057_480 (resized).jpg

#296 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Party fucking Ninjas !
I can die now.

All I can say is it was fn great.

The next year MSG was there and did a 15 minute version of Rock Bottom. When we walked in Ted Nugent was up on stage and he wasn't even on the bill. He had some new bandmates with him. Turned out to be one of the Damn Yankees first shows.

#299 7 years ago

1991 Irvine Meadows. One show, five bands.

Metal Church
Dangerous Toys
Motorhead
Alice Cooper
Judas Priest

And we hung out with the dudes from Leatherwolf in the beer garden. Those guys were cool. Motorhead lit the place up.

#300 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

You got yer money back right ?

They weren't on the bill, so it was free. I didn't know who they were but were jamming some song called pyledriver and only played three more. I need to call a buddy to remember who else was all there that night. It's kind of a blur now.

#302 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I saw the Bad Company/Damn Yankees tour that year. Unfortunately.

I wasn't a fan, but like I said all I knew is it was Ted. The internet is not helping me remember the rest of the show as there were a lot of bands and guests. But I did find this. They finished with Cat Scratch Fever so it wasn't all bad.

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/damn-yankees-1990-01-26-santa-monica-ca-flac-aud-215242.html

#305 7 years ago

I see Tenacious D.

#315 7 years ago
Quoted from Hot1dog:

This is very cool I remember them for the first time on MTV

Over the years I mentioned it to people many times that that was the best show I ever went to. But I was never able to find even a recording from it until now. I've watched it a few times now and it brings back some great memories of that night. It was the reason I started this thread.

#320 7 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

Judas Priest in '81 @ Oakland Auditorium. Machine gun shooting blanks for Genocide. In such a small venue... Halford was a young go-getter.

No doubt. The first Priest show I saw in 79 when Les Binks was still drumming was incredible. They had re-invented heavy metal. Again, good concert videos are scarce but this was a few months earlier. Once Binks left they were never the same IMO.

#323 7 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

RIP Irvine Meadows.

Sucks doesn't it? What are they going to do, build more condos? When I lived in south county it was about the only place to go besides the Coachhouse. They've taken out anything else that was fun in that part of the county so why not. But while it was alive and kicking Irvine Meadows showcased almost every great music act from all different kinds of artists. And we went to quite a few. Glad I moved north. RIP.

#388 7 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Tell me you saw a show at Gazzarri's. Before my time in LA, but I know its history.

Of course. In the late 70s and early 80s we hit all the clubs in LA. And as Bill Gazzari said " All my bands got foxy guys in them".

#391 7 years ago

Last night when we were playing in the garage, our local station was doing an all request show and it was cool. They played Homicide which I hadn't heard in years. That reminded me back in 81 my friend had two tickets to 999 and I had two tickets to Joe Jackson's Jumpin Jive show. So we traded one for the other and went to both. They were both great.

#397 7 years ago

I got to see Weather Report once with Jaco Pastorius and Joe Zawinul. Excellent show. Both have long since passed away. RIP.

#400 7 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

OMG, That was the highlight of the old DEVO shows, daddio! It was truly rock and roll live!
That was my fave part of the show!

Swelling Itching Brain, Blockhead, Mongoloid, Smart Patrol, Mr DNA, Gut Feeling, Slap your Mammy... Heck, they played them all!

#401 7 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

OMG. Reseda, right?

It's Perkins Palace In Pasadena. Nice place. At least it was....

There I saw-
Gary Myrick and The Figures
The Jam
GnR
TSOL

Maybe some more..

#402 7 years ago

A fun one was watching Missing Persons getting boood opening for Stiff Little Fingers, then go on to sell millions of records.

Stiff Little Figures still has a cult following today.

Wasn't a big fan of the warm up band, but I'll admit Terry Bozio was an awesome drummer.

Another time Huey Lewis and the News opened for Gary Myrick at the Roxy. Turns out they would go on to sell quite a few records too.

#416 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That concert took place practically down the street from me. Pretty cool that you were there.

Yes it was. We stopped at Naugles on the way home. Is Raincross Square still there? It was a heck of a place to see that show.

#428 7 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

It was hard to pick, seen a few bands since the early 70's:

Just that you were able to remember them all makes my head spin.

#434 7 years ago

Scorpions 1991 Irvine Meadows. Finally got to see them after being a fan since the 70s. They didn't disappoint.

1 week later
#469 7 years ago

First festival? I've got to go back to 1977 on that one. Ted Nugent, Foreigner, and REO Speedwagon opened for

Lynyrd Skynyrd on their Street Survivors tour at Anaheim Stadium. I went mainly to see Nugent, but when Skynyrd came out that place was rocking so hard the upper levels of the stadium were bouncing up and down several feet. I thought it might come down. I can't remember if I ever saw a crowd so emotional since then.

A few weeks later the band was involved in a fatal plane crash, and the rest as they say is history.

#471 7 years ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

Ahhhh...Perkins Palace!!

I was talking to a friend last night that went with me to see Gary Myrick at Perkins 36 years ago. You know Bob, I'm sure. And we agreed the one problem with the place was it had seats. Some shows it is better not to sit.

At the GNR show we were informed they would only be selling beer on the balcony and that was the only place you could drink. So we secured front row center on the balcony and had probably some of the best seats in the house. It was pretty cool TSOL was the opening act that night.

#473 7 years ago

I only got to see Dio once. And at that time he was singing for a guy by the name of Ritchie Blackmore.

Rainbow_27091977_02_500b (resized).jpgRainbow_27091977_02_500b (resized).jpg

#474 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

A MUSE show is an experience. You really feel like part of the show.

Going to see Muse has been on my to do list for some time. Should have gone to this show. I'll just have to wait until next time I guess.

#485 7 years ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

I've been a huge Muse fan since seeing them in 2002.
I somehow managed to win a competition a few years ago and saw them record this live with only about 20 other people then got to meet them after! Matt Bellamy is a lot shorter than you think.
» YouTube video

So how long before we see a Muse pinball machine? I think I could roll with that...

1 month later
#496 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I've been to a ton of concerts at Irvine Meadows. Can't believe they are tearing it down.

I can believe it. I moved to south OC in the early 80s, and one thing at a time, they removed just about anything that was fun to do. It was almost unbelievable this place existed in the first place considering the location. I think Lion Country Safari was there first.

Anyway, that's one of the reasons I moved back north, as all they seem concerned with down there is how many more people they can pack in. Case in point, building more apartments on the site.

Irvine Meadows RIP.

#498 7 years ago

That place was "safe". lol

#499 7 years ago

I saw some great shows there. My older brother took me to see Doobie Bros, and then Crosby Stills and Nash shortly after David got his new liver. He looked happy to be there. Great show. Only missed one I was going to. The unused ticket.

Bring in the bulldozers!

SCAN0039 (resized).JPGSCAN0039 (resized).JPG

#501 7 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Queensryche

Queensryche may have been one of the best concerts I saw at Irvine Meadows... Operation Mindcrime tour 1989.

#502 7 years ago

MAY 12 1989
Queensrÿche
at Irvine Meadows, Irvine, CA, USA
Operation: Mindcrime Tour.
Setlist
NM 156
Screaming in Digital
Surgical Strike
The Whisper
Walk in the Shadows
Chemical Youth (We Are Rebellion)
London
No Sanctuary
I Remember Now
Anarchy-X
Revolution Calling
Operation: Mindcrime
Speak
Spreading the Disease
The Mission
The Needle Lies
Electric Requiem
Breaking the Silence
I Don't Believe in Love
Eyes of a Stranger

Encore:
Queen of the Reich
Prophecy
The Lady Wore Black

1 month later
2 months later
#523 7 years ago
Quoted from Onevox:

The Bus Boys opening for the Stray Cats at Radford U. 1984.

Never saw The Bus Boys. However it looks like somebody was recording the Stray Cats when I saw them. When they played Drink That Bottle Down, Setzer tore into a blues solo that made my knees weak. I'd love to find that recording.

#540 7 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Hottest women in crowd - Rat/Poison at Pine Knob - 1988. It was like the Playboy mansion pool emptied into Pine Knob.

Mine had to be Motley Crue on the Girls Girls Girls tour. Probably the only show I ever went to that had more ladies than men. And most were dressed accordingly.

#543 7 years ago

Went to see them in a small venue called the Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino with Pat Travers on the Hemispheres Tour in 1978. Very small place. Last time I saw them was again in 1980.

#544 7 years ago

I finally found a decent recording of GnR at one of the shows they did at Perkins Palace in Dec 1987. We went to the one the night before

First hometown show after the release of AFD.

They were gooooood.

#558 7 years ago

My daughter just informed me she is going to her first ever concert next week. Wish she was taking me!

ticket-for-red-hot-chili-peppers-mar-10-2017-staples-center-los-angeles (resized).jpgticket-for-red-hot-chili-peppers-mar-10-2017-staples-center-los-angeles (resized).jpg

#566 7 years ago
Quoted from jasonp:

Social Distortion ... Tucson AZ ... A few days before the release of the best album ever.

I grew up with those guys. lol. Saw them play when they were only kids in a cover band.

5 months later
#621 6 years ago

I think I forgot to mention seeing Derringer while they were still a band at a small movie house in Woodland Hills shortly after the live album came out.

Amazing show!

Shortly after that they broke up and Rick went solo again. It was never the same after that.

This album was the chit when I was 15.

#623 6 years ago

The rest of Derringer went on to form their own band called Axis that I saw twice, once opening for Judas Priest at the Starwood and the other by themselves at the Whisky with Sammy Hagar taking it in at the table next to us.

They weren't as exciting as Derringer but anytime you can see one of the Appice brothers (Vinny in this case) on drums, it is always a treat.

Axis - It's A Circus World (resized).jpgAxis - It's A Circus World (resized).jpg

#626 6 years ago

I saw one of your Seattle bands before the grunge movement really got started. They were called Metal Church.

#642 6 years ago

I saw Foreigner touring the first album and that was all they played.

#646 6 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

I saw them on that tour also.

That was with Ted Nugent and Lynyrd Skynrd before the plane crash. I'd say Lou Gramm might have had the best vocals that day. He could really belt it out.

#649 6 years ago

For the Foreigner faithful that showed up today and those who aren't, this was awesome. Big venue.

3 weeks later
#655 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Never seen u2.

I saw them once at the Hollywood Palladium in 1981 about the time October came out. It was a really good show, but I never had the urge to see them again or buy any more of their albums after that.

http://www.u2gigs.com/show952.html

s-l225 (resized).jpgs-l225 (resized).jpg

10 months later
#658 5 years ago

Looks like somebody went and semi remastered the Led Zepellin concert I saw in 1977. It may not have been the best concert I ever saw, but it was the first.

If you've got almost 3 1/2 hours to kill, then here it is.

Let's just be thankful pinball would never be so desperate to dig ancient bands like this out and theme pinball machines after them.

#660 5 years ago

Listening to that Zepellin concert now, it actually sounds better then when I was there. The acoustics at the LA forum leave a lot to be desired. Amazing technology these days.

One of the most sought-after bootlegs
Zeppelin at the LA Forum on June 21, 1977

1:18 The Song Remains the Same
6:33 The Rover (Intro)
7:19 Sick Again
14:47 Nobody's Fault But Mine
22:22 Over the Hills and Far Away
29:27 Since I've Been Loving You
39:47 No Quarter

1:10:13 Ten Years Gone
1:20:26 The Battle of Evermore
1:27:56 Going to California
1:33:38 Black Country Woman
1:35:22 Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
1:43:08 White Summer
1:49:29 Black Mountain Side
1:51:47 Kashmir
2:04:23 Over the Top

2:20:31 Heartbreaker
2:29:43 Guitar Solo
2:45:35 Achilles Last Stand
2:56:14 Stairway to Heaven
3:09:18 Whole Lotta Love
3:10:44 Rock and Roll

#662 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I saw beck last night.

It was the best concert ive attended this month.

Beck rules!

#663 5 years ago

I'm waiting for Muse to come back around. The many live videos I've watched, they never fail to deliver.

#665 5 years ago

JFK huh? How many people does that place hold?

#668 5 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

about 100,000. never got to see them. concert was canceled because of the death of Plant's child. But I did see Pink Floyd there.

Oh yeah. Our Forum concerts were delayed several months because of Plant's throat operation which ended up being the difference between me seeing them and not.

Forum holds about 18,000 and Zep played 7 sold out shows there in summer of 77. That may still be a record of some kind.

My daughter informed me this is the best concert she ever saw, and I believe her!

#670 5 years ago

Gotta love those prices on that Zep ticket stub.

$10.95 + $.55 tax= $11.50 . I think mine was $10.00 lol.

Now you get some antique bands on reunion tours charging well over $100.

#672 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

100,000 or so. It was a complete dump. I believe it was condemned the day after a Dead who in the late 80s.

Biggest crowd I was ever a part of was Cal Jam 2 at the Ontario Motor Speedway at near half a million people. It wasn't condemned, but you know developers found better use for the land than some silly race track. lol. Lot of great races there though.

Nowadays the only place left to hold big concerts is out by the desert.

f8fc730eabfcf3fe8b0e832faf853c39--ontario-california-california-history (resized).jpgf8fc730eabfcf3fe8b0e832faf853c39--ontario-california-california-history (resized).jpg
#675 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The only racetrack I like to see shows at is Altamont Motor Speedway in Tracy, CA.

Gimme Shelter! lol.

I watched that movie again and if that dude hadn't fkd with the Hells Angel's bike, he might still be alive.

#677 5 years ago

Yeah, but also using motorcycles to escort the band to the stage and just leaving them parked there may not have been the best idea in the first place.

#679 5 years ago

I know the dude had a gun, but I swear I saw him hit the guy's bike or something before shit hit the fan.

#682 5 years ago

Here's one for you Levi.

#684 5 years ago
Quoted from kirkgun:

You guys brought back lots of great memories, that I didn't know I could remember.

That's kind of what I've been up against. A lot of those shows we went in a condition where we weren't supposed to remember. And some were more than 40 years ago, so it's hard to remember them all.

But I'm going to make a quick list of some of the more significant ones for me that I do remember.

Led Zeppelin- LA Forum 1977- first concert, long setlist.

Lynyrd Skynrd, Ted Nugent, REO, Foreigner- Anaheim Stadium 1977- one of Skynyrds last before the plane crash and Foreigner's first album tour

Cal Jam 2 1978- huge crowd, lots of bands

Rolling Stones, Outlaws, Peter Tosh- Anaheim Stadium 1978- Mick Jagger- "I want all your shoes!" And he got em!

Black Sabbath, Ramones 1978- Long Beach Arena- Never was there a more interesting double bill. Ozzy's last tour, Ramones Rocket to Russia

Social Distortion 1979- some garage in a back alley- Because I set it up and made it happen and we are now the punk rock capitol of the world! Steve Soto RIP

Judas Priest 1979- Starwood club LA. Hell Bent tour and best damn metal concert I ever went to

Devo 1980- Raincross Square, Riverside- The whole point of this thread to begin with.

GNR 1987- First concert back in LA after the release of Appetite for Destruction

Suicidal Tendencies, Pantera, Exodus 1990- Irvine University Bren Center- nuff said.

Jethro Tull 2018- Greek Theatre- Because you're never too old to rock and roll...

#685 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Steve Soto RIP

Who passed away last month. He and his bands helped make our little corner of the world a lot more interesting than it was probably ever meant to be. You will be seriously missed. Thanks for everything!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Soto

The-Adolescents-Musink-2018-www.loyalphoto.com-meg-burcina_-8 (resized).jpgThe-Adolescents-Musink-2018-www.loyalphoto.com-meg-burcina_-8 (resized).jpg
#688 5 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

And most of the Jethro Tull show, which proved we are too old to rock and roll it we have to drive too far.

Truthfully it got freezing cold up in those Hollywood hills and neither of us beach bums came dressed for the occasion. And that mountain of cars waiting to clog up the roads made it even more tempting to sneak out a little early, plain and simple. But it was good to get out of the house for a while.

#689 5 years ago

#692 5 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

My first concert was Gun & Roses Opening for Aerosmith in 88. Wish there was pro footage of the Areosmith show, but the Guns show has been around for ages..

There's no footage yet, but some bootlegs of the '87 homecoming shows at Perkin's in Pasadena have been surfacing. These turned out to be landmark shows in the career of the band. I went the first night and TSOL opened.

As far as Aerosmith, the entire Cal Jam 2 concert was filmed but kind of hard to watch.

#696 5 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

1977 concert at Anaheim Stadium. Lynyrd Skynyrd , Ted Nugent, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon and a band called Rex. Looks like Rex didn’t make it.

Rex made it alright. And really set the tone for the day. You might have been late to the show. He had a tight heavy rock and roll band that got the place fired up but later traded it in for a more pop oriented solo career using his full name Rex Smith.

REO came out next and being it was their pre hit days, they also tore up the place.

Foreigner really stood out with a fine performance and great vocals by Lou Grahm playing most or maybe all of just the only album they had, which turned out to be their best. Star Rider was a real highlite.

Nuge was next supporting recently released Cat Scratch Fever with the original band intact, three albums in and in top form, and not much else really needs to be said about that.

Skynyrd put in an epic set on the Street Survivors tour with Ronnie Van Zandt stalking the stage, and when they broke into Free Bird 50,000 lighters illuminated and by the time the song was done it looked like the upper levels of Angel Stadium might collapse as it was bouncing up and down from people jumping on it.

#697 5 years ago

Then there was the Who / Clash concert at the LA Coliseum where my car got jacked and we found ourselves walking in LA. Concert was great tho.

#702 5 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

Nobody walks in L.A.

That's what we we singing. Coliseum's not in the best of neighborhoods especially late at night. So we walked around for a while until we finally found some cool dudes that had also been at the Who show and hopped in the bed of the truck and they drove us home. Car was recovered a few days later after it had been involved in a wreck. I fixed it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-concert-you-ever-attended?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.