Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4047 (resized).JPG
IMG_4048 (resized).JPG
IMG_1823 (resized).JPG
IMG_1822 (resized).JPG
Jon Anderson (resized).jpg
The-Adolescents-Musink-2018-www.loyalphoto.com-meg-burcina_-8 (resized).jpg
f8fc730eabfcf3fe8b0e832faf853c39--ontario-california-california-history (resized).jpg
C4EB905B-6279-47F5-B147-8CEFA7D2AE2B (resized).jpeg
20171006_220806 (resized).jpg
20171006_222020 (resized).jpg
s-l225 (resized).jpg
MPW-16403 (resized).jpg
both (resized).png
Nirvana (resized).jpg
Axis - It's A Circus World (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobertWinter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#122 7 years ago

Where do I start?

DEVO has always been my favorite band. Saw them in early 80s at the Universal Ampitheatre (now the Gibson). Mark flew in over the audience! I saw them headline the Run Hit Wonder race at the Coliseum, and I've seen then in a small venue (the Canyon Club) from a couple of feet away.

Oingo Boingo in 1980 at the Wolf-Riss Miller Country Club in Reseda. This was before ANYONE had heard of them. Lots of slam dancing that night. I actually came in contact with Danny Elfman (long story) through work. He got me backstage passes when Oingo Boingo and X were playing the Pacific Ampitheater in 82 IIRC. Billy Zoom of X was insanely good and never moved his feet an inch the entire concert. Saw them again in 85 at the Universal Ampitheatre. Was so drunk that night I almost got kicked out of the show!

In reference to some others posts - Styx playing the Pantages during the theatrical run of the Paradise Theatre tour before they did the stadium shows. It was like watching a play. Fantastic. BTW, Dennis DeYoung has actually performed with them live recently.

Sat front row center in the studio when Jeff Lynne of ELO was doing the dress rehearsal for his Zoom show. I was the ONLY one in the audience. Very cool feeling to get a private show. I wanted to see him at the Bowl this year but damn ticket snipers got all the good tickets.

Debbie Harry opening for The Ramones who opened for ZZ Top at the Greek. Fourth row center for that show. Unbelievable line up.

Some other memories - an unknown band called U2 opening for the J Geils Band (who was AMAZING). The lead singer of the J Geils Band was SO energetic on stage it was phenomenal. Beastie Boys opening for Madonna (yes, I admit it!). Summer Strut at Anaheim Stadium in 1982 with Foreigner, Loverboy, Scorpions and Iron Maiden.

Ah, youth....

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

But I bet he was smiling the whole time.

He sure was! He never moved from the waist down the entire concert. He came out at the beginning, got in his familiar stance with his feet about 3 feet apart, and shredded the entire show. I was dumbstruck at how good he was.

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The Greek Theatre on the hillside of Griffith Park up in the pine trees is a most awesome place to see any band.

I agree. Better than the Bowl IMO.

More recently I've seen the Gipsy Kings and Nightwish there.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobertWinter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-concert-you-ever-attended?tu=RobertWinter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.