3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 704 posts
  • 250 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BigT
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 106 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4047 (resized).JPG
IMG_4048 (resized).JPG
IMG_1823 (resized).JPG
IMG_1822 (resized).JPG
Jon Anderson (resized).jpg
The-Adolescents-Musink-2018-www.loyalphoto.com-meg-burcina_-8 (resized).jpg
f8fc730eabfcf3fe8b0e832faf853c39--ontario-california-california-history (resized).jpg
C4EB905B-6279-47F5-B147-8CEFA7D2AE2B (resized).jpeg
20171006_220806 (resized).jpg
20171006_222020 (resized).jpg
s-l225 (resized).jpg
MPW-16403 (resized).jpg
both (resized).png
Nirvana (resized).jpg
Axis - It's A Circus World (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 15.
#351 3 years ago

Ted Nugent at the now long since defunct "Water Mania" water park , the stage was set up at the deep end of the wave pool and if you wanted up front you had to pay extra to buy a cheap inflatable raft .... of course I did it was f...ing crazy good time & Ted almost busted his ass when he swung in on a rope & landed on a splashed wet stage , he slipped ,skidded then caught himself then Kicked some ass !!it was epic

#352 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

No question best concert I ever went to was Metallica Master of Puppets 1986 at a small theme park (Peony Park) in Omaha.

RIP Peony Park (and Ranch Bowl) too!

#353 3 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

Ted almost busted his ass when he swung in on a rope

Ted used to give a KILLER show back in the day before he got so psycho-rightwing-nutjob. I was 6th row at Sacramento Memorial Auditorium in '79 and Ted was so damn good. He had a singer then--Derek St. Holmes-- and HE was soooo good. Ted only sang a few hisself: Great White Buffalo for one. Biggest mistake Ted ever made was losing DSH. I didn't list that show because I have disowned ted these days. He might as well be Sarah Palin with a guitar now. I saw him about 10 years ago around these parts and he was so bad: croaking away on vocals and spouting BS. He even managed to ruin "Just What the Doctor Ordered." SO sad.

#354 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sucks doesn't it? What are they going to do, build more condos? When I lived in south county it was about the only place to go besides the Coachhouse. They've taken out anything else that was fun in that part of the county so why not. But while it was alive and kicking Irvine Meadows showcased almost every great music act from all different kinds of artists. And we went to quite a few. Glad I moved north. RIP.

Exactly. Unfortunately, the Irvine Company is going to build apartments on that land.
Coach House! I forgot about that little SJC gem. Cool spot for sure! Thankfully, House of Blues is opening a new location in Anaheim, but it still won't have the character of the other "more authentic" locations. Disney ruins it.
Tell me you saw a show at Gazzarri's. Before my time in LA, but I know its history.

#355 3 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Tell me you saw a show at Gazzarri's

I went to Gazzarri's at least twice back in the day. Once, my buddies and I spotted Danny Bonaduce (from the Partridge Family) all lit there with a girl on each arm. We were huge PF fans believe it or not, so we pretended we were his best buds and went right up to him and slapped him on the back and said shtuff like, "Danny, baby, long time no see..." and etc. He played it off all loaded and pretended to remember us and then blew us off and left with the chix in a limo. We followed him for a while, but his driver saw us and got all crabby. I think this was 1980.

#356 3 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

We were huge PF fans believe it or not, so we pretended we were his best buds and went right up to him and slapped him on the back and said shtuff like, "Danny, baby, long time no see..." and etc.

He'd probably want to fight you if you did that to him now!

#357 3 years ago

Rush - Presto tour. I was like 11th row center. Sound was well balanced so I could actually hear him sing and hear the music. I just wish Geddy wasn't wearing spandex.

#358 3 years ago

Derek St. Holmes pretty much is Ted Nugent for me. And everybody else.

#359 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, it was even more memorable than this one.
» YouTube video

The whole is always greater than the sum of its parts, but Christ almighty, if jimmy page didn't drive that band no one did. What a dynamic guitar player!

#360 3 years ago

Partyin with the Bonaduchster. He left you the ladies ? Freakin awesome.

#361 3 years ago

Oh...he left WITH the chicks. Big difference that lil word makes.

#362 3 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

Jealous.
Woulda loved to see Fogarty in his prime. He did a fantastic show around these parts a couple of years ago. All the ccr hitz and all the solo ones. He hasn't lost a lick. In fact, he's a way better geetar playa now than he was then.

I saw him again a few years ago in St. Louis and he was just as energetic now as he was back then. Great concert!

#363 3 years ago

Hey Dennis is Chuck Berry doing any shows at all ?

#364 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I went to see Dave Matthews Band for the first time a month ago. The quality of sound and the talent of the band was great. There are some great musicians in that band. They played for 3 hours straight and came back for an encore of 3 songs. I don't know how many people fit in Deer Creek but there were a lot.

Capacity is 24,000.

#365 3 years ago

Gilmour in Chicago a couple months ago is up there. NIN in 94, the Downward Spiral Tour is up there.

#366 3 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

He'd probably want to fight you if you did that to him now!

No doubt Rainbow Trout.

Quoted from Gryszzz:

He came thru here in '79/'80 (Ahh the golden years) doing his tax evasion tour. At each stop, he used a local band to back him up. They'd rehearse once, if that, and go. He did a Vets' Hall gig here in town and rawked pretty good--the back up band was good, and a little later he did a freebie @ the Atascadero State Hospital for the Criminally Insane. The back up there was a folk/country band called Cache Valley Drifters and the show was bad. Chuck must have played My DingaLing for 1/2 the show. I think it was an FU to the IRS.

#367 3 years ago

A few over the decades... 70's- Alice Cooper. Nazareth Thin Lizzy. ..Jethro Tull. 80's...Eagles. Boston Genesis..Styx. Journey. Santana.Ac./DC..Ozzy Metallica. Megadeth. Heart --Monsters of Rock Candlestick. Day on the Greens Oakland. ===90's Guns Roses....Pink Floyd. Eagles. Joe Satraini Steely Dan... Prince.Gath Brooks . Dixie Chicks. All great shows at different times for various reasons..

#368 3 years ago

He came thru here in '79/'80 (Ahh the golden years) doing his tax evasion tour. At each stop, he used a local band to back him up. They'd rehearse once, if that, and go. He did a Vets' Hall gig here in town and rawked pretty good--the back up band was good, and a little later he did a freebie @ the Atascadero State Hospital for the Criminally Insane. The back up there was a folk/country band called Cache Valley Drifters and the show was bad. Chuck must have played My DingaLing for 1/2 the show. I think it was an FU to the IRS.
That's great but is your name Dennis too ?

#369 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Derek St. Holmes pretty much is Ted Nugent for me. And everybody else.

One of my fave singers ever.

#370 3 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

CCR and Iron Butterfly. Both in Louisville, KY in Oct. 1970. Different concerts. I was stationed at Fort Knox. A friend and I bought long hair wigs in an attempt to pick up chicks. It did not work either time.
CCR had just released 'Cosmos Factory' and played almost the entire album. Really great concert.
Iron Butterfly had just released 'Metamorphosis' and did the same thing. A really, really underrated album. They finished of course with an extended, extended version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Easily over an hour.
Saw a few great early Moody Blues concerts in St. Louis. 1969 and 1979. Back when the crowds were smaller (and quieter!) and they were still using the Mellotron.

Damn, you were smooth.

images (resized).jpg

#371 3 years ago

My friends and I were huge AC/DC fans. We saw them at Toledo Speedway Jam in 1980.

Angus came through the crowd on the shoulders of what I assume was a large security guard? Anyway, the huge entourage was coming our way, with security basically forming a circle around Angus. The crowd surge was pretty heavy when it hit us, and I didn't know which way was up. When I finally got my bearings, I realized I was *inside* of this large security circle (no idea how I got there, really). So I started patting Angus on his (extremely) sweaty back while he played. This didn't go on for more than 5 seconds before I got zapped in the ribs by some sort of cattle prod.

All of my friends were super jealous of the large welt that I was sporting--it was a war wound of sorts. Totally worth the pain....

#372 3 years ago

Live (the band) with Weezer at Rocky Point amusement park in 1994.

It was the summer after high school graduation and at the time both bands were blowing up.

It was me, my best friend, and our girlfriends. We rode rides at the park all day and danced to music all night at the outdoor stage on a hot summer night.

#373 3 years ago

I saw George Thorogood and The Destroyers with my girlfriend when I was about 21. This was around 1989. I'd been dating her since I was 18. He played at The Metro in Chicago. Couldn't have been more than a few hundred people. He threw my girlfriend a guitar pick and she caught it. It was awesome listening to Bad to the Bone and pounding plastic cups of beer. He initially came out dressed like one of the Blues Brothers and the crowd went crazy. I married that same girl and we still love to go out and see George to this day.

#374 3 years ago

Just got back from seeing Ween play tonight!

#375 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I don't think so. He will be 90 in October. He was doing a monthly show at a local place but I don't think he is doing that any longer.
I was in the audience for the filming of the movie 'Hail, Hail Rock n Roll!' in St. Louis that celebrated his 60th birthday. I remember at the time thinking how old he was at 60!

#376 3 years ago

Jimmie Barnes never made it out of Australia that big. Don't know why cause he has a great sound that I think Americans could grasp. If you know any Vietnam vets that don't already love this song, get them on too it. ........ yes just like every other U.S conflict the Australia's were there in numbers. Bout time you guys sent a little love back this way.

#377 3 years ago
Quoted from mickthepin:

Jimmie Barnes never made it out of Australia that big. Don't know why cause he has a great sound that I think Americans could grasp. If you know any Vietnam vets that don't already love this song, get them on too it. ........ yes just like every other U.S conflict the Australia's were there in numbers. Bout time you guys sent a little love back this way.
» YouTube video

What a great band, Aussies finest, every single member wrote and wrote well.

Would have loved to see them 1980 - 1983.

#378 3 years ago
Quoted from Playmatic:

Just got back from seeing Ween play tonight!

Somebody linked me "Ocean Man" after they heard it at the end of the Spongebob Squarepants movie and I've listened to it a bunch since then LOL

#379 3 years ago

U2 for me in 1985, first concert of their world tour for the Unforgettable Fire, small 3000 seat town hall, so raw and emotional, it's a shame but I don't particularly care for them anymore but the first 4 albums are classics.

#380 3 years ago

Ozark music festival, 1974. Eagles, Aerosmith, Joe Walsh, Lynyrd Skynyrd too many to mention.
3 days man, 3 days.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozark_Music_Festival

#381 3 years ago

So I lost a couple fingers in '97 and couple weeks later Janes Addiction was playing at Miami Bayfront Park Amphitheatre and had to go with a friend (couldn't drive stick shift) and we got there late and got no seat, had to lean on raised platform out back. I was bummed. About 5-6 songs into the show the lights go out and everyone is screaming this and that and when the lights go back on, there was the band on the little stage we were leaning on. They did a 5-6 song acoustic set right in front of us, went from the worst seats in the house, to the best. Awesome. The dancers on stage were quite a treat also. Great show.
Bob

#382 3 years ago

Judas Priest at the Spectrum in Philadelphia, 1990. The painkiller tour. The guy to my left was smoking weed throughout the show, had a crazy look in his eyes and would yell "Judas was a priest" at the end of each song.

#383 3 years ago

Based on my screen name, I have to go with Rush - all 8 times I've seen them.

-Steve

#384 3 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

I saw George Thorogood and The Destroyers with my girlfriend when I was about 21. This was around 1989. I'd been dating her since I was 18. He played at The Metro in Chicago. Couldn't have been more than a few hundred people. He threw my girlfriend a guitar pick and she caught it. It was awesome listening to Bad to the Bone and pounding plastic cups of beer. He initially came out dressed like one of the Blues Brothers and the crowd went crazy. I married that same girl and we still love to go out and see George to this day.

George rocks!

#385 3 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

George rocks!

Yes, always a good time. Saw him a good 6-7 times, you know what to expect and he delivers each time.
I like his attitude too. Heard or read some interview somewhere, and his brother (Bob, I would guess) goes on about how he's never gonna make it. And he says "define 'making it'" - and something about how there's room for 7th hitters out there, you don't have to be the #1 guy all the time.
He sure did make it.

#386 3 years ago
Quoted from mickthepin:

» YouTube video

Correction actually ANZAC.

#387 3 years ago
Quoted from mickthepin:

Correction actually ANZAC.

Deffo don't forget our NZ bro's, you know they'd do the Haka on ya butt if ya did
Seriously though, despite the sporting rivalry between the two nations we have a bond in blood and mateship that goes back a long way!!

#388 3 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Tell me you saw a show at Gazzarri's. Before my time in LA, but I know its history.

Of course. In the late 70s and early 80s we hit all the clubs in LA. And as Bill Gazzari said " All my bands got foxy guys in them".

#389 3 years ago

No one ever believes me, but back in the 80s I saw The Mentors in a double bill with The Revolting Cocks.

l (resized).jpg

The crowd was 1/2 metal heads and 1/2 industrial dance posers.

#390 3 years ago

Hmmm...Seen a few good ones.
Foals - Magic Stick Detroit 2010
A Place to Bury Strangers - Empty Bottle Chicago 2012
Cro-Mags - Blondies Detroit 1989

Gotta go Bauhaus - Resurrection tour - State Theatre Detroit 1998

#391 3 years ago

Last night when we were playing in the garage, our local station was doing an all request show and it was cool. They played Homicide which I hadn't heard in years. That reminded me back in 81 my friend had two tickets to 999 and I had two tickets to Joe Jackson's Jumpin Jive show. So we traded one for the other and went to both. They were both great.

#392 3 years ago

Lots of great shows over the years:
1) Stevie Ray Vaughn at the philly spectrum 10/12/1987
2) phish with the Giant Country horns at camp phish , arrowhead ranch Ny 7/20-21/1991
3) Spinal Tap at the Tower in philly 6/25/1992 * Stonehenge with the 3' tall props and dancing midgets was classic.
4) Jerry Garcia Band merry weather post pav. Md 9/1-2/1989 was amazing. I know some people don't like the grateful dead but there is no debating that the Fat Man could Rock!
5) Michael Hedges a 5-6 times between 1990-94. I went with people who had heard the music but thought it was a band not one guy solo with a bunch of crazy guitars and no backing track.

#393 3 years ago

Allmann Brothers in a small bar in San Francisco....early 90's......

#394 3 years ago

Oh ya..... Then saw Van Morrison for the next two nights that was recorded and released as " Live in San Francisco"..... On a tip, we went to an Irish pub after the show and he showed up with his band and two blondes.

#395 3 years ago

Wait.... One more. Late 70's worked as stage crew for a local outside venue in our little town in northwest Ohio. Beach Boys , Journey..... Drove Molly Hatchet back to their hotel in my dads Caddy....they trashed the car , the filthy animals.

#396 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Over the years I mentioned it to people many times that that was the best show I ever went to. But I was never able to find even a recording from it until now. I've watched it a few times now and it brings back some great memories of that night. It was the reason I started this thread.

Uncontrollable Urge is one of my favorite songs ever. Interestingly enough, the only time I heard it live was as a cover by ... I can't remember. It was one of those nights at Perkins Palace in the early 80's....Romeo Void, Tonio K, Josie Cotton, Naughty Sweeties...and I think Gang of Four...but I was so wasted I can't remember everything.

My best show was either The Jacksons - fronted by Michael - at the Forum in '81 or James Brown in the Venetian Room at the Fairmont Hotel in SF in '83. Some serious soul going down at those two shows.

One honorable mention was the Bus Boys at the Golden Bear in HB circa 1982. Freaking crazy fun. Saw Primus at the Berkeley Square as they were starting out, and Chris Isaak a lot at small SF clubs before he broke. Lots of bigger shows that are less memorable. Plus a lot of Dead and Jerry Garcia Band. Good times all!

#397 3 years ago

I got to see Weather Report once with Jaco Pastorius and Joe Zawinul. Excellent show. Both have long since passed away. RIP.

#398 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Uncontrollable Urge is one of my favorite songs ever.

OMG, That was the highlight of the old DEVO shows, daddio! It was truly rock and roll live!
That was my fave part of the show!

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Primus at the Berkeley Square

My band played with Primus @ Cal Poly SLO in early 80's.

Gang of Four. Whoa. Ain't heard that name in awhile. TonioK? Really? Live?

Woulda loved to see Michael in his youth!

#399 3 years ago

OMG. Reseda, right?

#400 3 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

OMG, That was the highlight of the old DEVO shows, daddio! It was truly rock and roll live!
That was my fave part of the show!

Swelling Itching Brain, Blockhead, Mongoloid, Smart Patrol, Mr DNA, Gut Feeling, Slap your Mammy... Heck, they played them all!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 249.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 67.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 150.00
Various Other Swag
Pinside Shop
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 110.00
Boards
AMCO
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 1,200.00
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside