Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4047 (resized).JPG
IMG_4048 (resized).JPG
IMG_1823 (resized).JPG
IMG_1822 (resized).JPG
Jon Anderson (resized).jpg
The-Adolescents-Musink-2018-www.loyalphoto.com-meg-burcina_-8 (resized).jpg
f8fc730eabfcf3fe8b0e832faf853c39--ontario-california-california-history (resized).jpg
C4EB905B-6279-47F5-B147-8CEFA7D2AE2B (resized).jpeg
20171006_220806 (resized).jpg
20171006_222020 (resized).jpg
s-l225 (resized).jpg
MPW-16403 (resized).jpg
both (resized).png
Nirvana (resized).jpg
Axis - It's A Circus World (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 15.
#301 7 years ago

I saw the Bad Company/Damn Yankees tour that year. Unfortunately.

#302 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I saw the Bad Company/Damn Yankees tour that year. Unfortunately.

I wasn't a fan, but like I said all I knew is it was Ted. The internet is not helping me remember the rest of the show as there were a lot of bands and guests. But I did find this. They finished with Cat Scratch Fever so it wasn't all bad.

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/damn-yankees-1990-01-26-santa-monica-ca-flac-aud-215242.html

#303 7 years ago

I kid. I was 17. We skipped school, got a keg, and a bunch of us partyed. Despised DY then, still do. But the party, man,....the party.
Bad Company without Paul Rodgers is just no.

#304 7 years ago

Pics from concerts from the last 8 years or so. Let's play the name that band/artist/concert game, most are obvious, a couple maybe not so.

002 (resized).jpg002 (resized).jpg

011 (resized).jpg011 (resized).jpg

029 (resized).jpg029 (resized).jpg

053 (resized).jpg053 (resized).jpg

625 (resized).jpg625 (resized).jpg

802 (resized).jpg802 (resized).jpg

DSC00279 (resized).JPGDSC00279 (resized).JPG

DSC00410 (resized).JPGDSC00410 (resized).JPG

DSC00955 (resized).JPGDSC00955 (resized).JPG

DSC01152 (resized).JPGDSC01152 (resized).JPG

DSC01191 (resized).jpgDSC01191 (resized).jpg

DSC01449m (2) (resized).jpgDSC01449m (2) (resized).jpg

DSC01514 (resized).JPGDSC01514 (resized).JPG

DSC02074 (resized).JPGDSC02074 (resized).JPG

mod974 (resized).jpgmod974 (resized).jpg

#305 7 years ago

I see Tenacious D.

#306 7 years ago

Is that Mr. Neil Young ?

#307 7 years ago

Gary Busey murdering that acoustic, literally.

#308 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Is that Mr. Neil Young ?

If you mean the dude getting crowd surfed/lobbed back onto stage, NOPE.

Quoted from Gryszzz:

Gary Busey murdering that acoustic, literally.

Does look like Gary Busey doesn't he, but NOPE.

#309 7 years ago

Is that a J-45 ?

#310 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Is that a J-45 ?

The acoustic? yeah could be, that dude is Joe Bonamassa, he owns a shitload of guitars.

#311 7 years ago

Young coke fueled DC Cab Gary Busey.
Will fuck you up.

#312 7 years ago

Nei Young crowdsurfing. Harr.

#313 7 years ago

Speaking of...saw the Crosby, Stills, Nash AND Young 2006 tour. Can finally say I did that.

#314 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just watched it again for the first time in 36 years. I'm glad somebody was actually filming that night.
» YouTube video

This is very cool I remember them for the first time on MTV

#315 7 years ago
Quoted from Hot1dog:

This is very cool I remember them for the first time on MTV

Over the years I mentioned it to people many times that that was the best show I ever went to. But I was never able to find even a recording from it until now. I've watched it a few times now and it brings back some great memories of that night. It was the reason I started this thread.

#316 7 years ago

1992 faith no more/Metallica/GNR at exhibition stadium in Toronto. Longest and best concert I gave been to.

#317 7 years ago

A couple I forgot before:
Judas Priest in '81 @ Oakland Auditorium. Machine gun shooting blanks for Genocide. In such a small venue... Halford was a young go-getter.
The Who in '80 @ Oakland Colosseum.
Replacements in '91 @ The Hollywood Palladium. Actually, this one should be near the top. Just drunk enough to be funny but not sloppy. So many good songs.
The Dickies, at a small club here in SLO, about 6 or 8 years ago. Their opening act was a punk band with a washboard player.

#318 7 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

Halford was a young go-getter.

No doubt

indeggx (resized).jpgindeggx (resized).jpg

#319 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

1991 Irvine Meadows. One show, five bands.

RIP Irvine Meadows.

#320 7 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

Judas Priest in '81 @ Oakland Auditorium. Machine gun shooting blanks for Genocide. In such a small venue... Halford was a young go-getter.

No doubt. The first Priest show I saw in 79 when Les Binks was still drumming was incredible. They had re-invented heavy metal. Again, good concert videos are scarce but this was a few months earlier. Once Binks left they were never the same IMO.

#321 7 years ago

Nirvana at the small sized Thebarton Theatre Adelaide in January 1992. Booked their Australian tour just as they were heading into the media stratosphere. Unforgettable in hindsight.
Rammstein in Berlin 1998.
Joe Satriani and the G3 at multiple venues over the last twenty years.

#322 7 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Pics from concerts from the last 8 years or so. Let's play the name that band/artist/concert game, most are obvious, a couple maybe not so.

I can name all of those, but to save time just two things- You have great taste in music, and Marco Minnemman is a beast!

#323 7 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

RIP Irvine Meadows.

Sucks doesn't it? What are they going to do, build more condos? When I lived in south county it was about the only place to go besides the Coachhouse. They've taken out anything else that was fun in that part of the county so why not. But while it was alive and kicking Irvine Meadows showcased almost every great music act from all different kinds of artists. And we went to quite a few. Glad I moved north. RIP.

#324 7 years ago
Quoted from gatordad:

Metallica "Justice for All" with Queensryche "Operation Mindcrime"
1989 UIC pavillion 3 rd row
Best concert I've been to evar!!!!

Now that is a show I wish I saw...

It's hard to pick a best, but a few memorable ones are

Guns n Roses on their Use Your Illusion tour... it was a masterful show in every way.

I saw Metallica on their AJFA tour at Red Rocks, The Cult opened up for them and my ears were ringing long afterwards. However more memorable was Metallica on their Black Album tour. They were at their technical prime with no opening band, just Metallica on stage for over 3 hours... and their center arena stage was the best setup for fans I've seen at any concert, ever... I went two nights in a row, and the buzz in the arena was unlike I've seen before or after.

The third show off the top of my head is from Tesla's Five Man Accoustical Jam tour. It could be that it was a small and awesome outside venue in St Pete called Jannus landing. It could be that I was at the edge of the stage the entire show. It could also be the uniqueness of an all accoustic show... or that Tesla simply puts on a great show... but all of the above made an amazing experience.

#325 7 years ago
Quoted from EJ:

1992 faith no more/Metallica/GNR at exhibition stadium in Toronto. Longest and best concert I gave been to.

The tour stop I saw had Body Count open instead of FNM... they were awesome!

#326 7 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Marco Minnemman is a beast!

Agreed, probably the very best drummer i've ever had the pleasure to hear and watch live in concert.

#327 7 years ago

No question best concert I ever went to was Metallica Master of Puppets 1986 at a small theme park (Peony Park) in Omaha.

Small venue
Up and coming band with a lot to prove
Cliff Burton !!!
Totally kick ass

#328 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Pantera was a last minute addition to this show. Cowboys from Hell was their latest album. That little auditorium was pretty raucous that night.

I went to the Philly show on the same tour that year. Suicidal tendencies came out front of the trocadero before the doors opened signed autographs and talked to the fans. Cool band and the show was one of my favorites.

My best concert was way back when i was twelve years old, Live Aid in philly summer of 85'. I saw many of the popular musicians of the 80s that day.

#329 7 years ago

I flew to L.A. (from New Jersey) alone at 17 to see the final Motley Crue show, I am their biggest fan and it definitely went out with a bang. Those concerts are like no other and I'm confident all of the shows I've seen from them will stay at #1 on my list for life. Fire, pyrotechnics is an understatement, and 4 amazing musicians giving it their all. I respect their decision for ending it on a high note. They did all sign a contract so they wouldn't pull a "you know who" and make several comebacks.

Second best is Guns N' Roses back in July. I don't know what Axl is doing but he's screaming like it's the 80's again and it sounds GREAT. I was blown away. Recordings don't do it justice but the man is doing something right for his voice. Maybe it's Slash's vibe.

Of course internet warriors like to bitch about both, but I don't care. It was great. Even being realistic, I have no complaints. Always a party.

My life pretty much revolves around 80's hard rock (and other 80's culture, yet somehow EM pinball has taken over more space than my 70's/80's games) and absolutely no complaints. Just things I fell in love with over time. Music has taken me so many great places and given me so many experiences and ideas that I have no shame, hell yes I'm rocking the hair also. My generation is filled with people who like to sulk, be depressed, and make up a list of problems they have so they can sound more depressed. I'm just living it up while I'm young. Seems like nobody does that anymore... I do! Hearing it from all of you guys about how much you miss your youth compared to today, I figured I better really live it up while I can.

Stayed with some family last week after they let me know they had front row season passes to a venue Vince Neil was coming to play in, I didn't waste the opportunity:

otaku (resized).jpgotaku (resized).jpg

#330 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

I flew to L.A. (from New Jersey) alone at 17 to see the final Motley Crue show

Rock on dude!

rd

#331 7 years ago

#1- Springsteen Born to Run tour in 1975- 4 hour show that flew by. First of 22 concerts that have all been great . #2- Bowie - Diamond dogs 1974 Theater meets innovative rock n roll # 3- The Who- 1975 with Keith Moon- amazing, #4- Alice Cooper- Killer Tour 1972- my first show and what a way to start. 5- The Stones 1974 / The Kinks 1975- 2 great shows from 2 great British Invasion bands. Yes I am older than most on this site but I was lucky to be around in what I consider the best 10 years of music- 1965- 1975. I have been to a couple hundred shows for over 40 years and the worst show was still pretty good.

#332 7 years ago

Pink Floyd, BC Place, 1994. Took me a day or two to recover from that one.

#333 7 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Pink Floyd Division Bell tour 1994 at Soldier field

Same tour - Yankee Stadium. A heavy storm blew out of the area earlier in the afternoon, but leaving behind a cool breeze and an endless wave of fast moving clouds above to compliment the laser light show all night. It was like no other concert I've ever seen from an overall experience standpoint.

#334 7 years ago

Music is a huge part of my life, and sometimes the factors that made a show special for me would be meaningless to everyone else. For example staying up all night watching a bunch of musicians unexpectedly goofing off at the end of a week-long festival, surrounded by all of my best friends was absolutely incredible bc of the emotions we all shared at the time--laughter, surprise, camaraderie, etc. But if I posted clips from it, it probably wouldn't seem particularly noteworthy to anyone who hadn't been there. As for shows that were of general interest, a few of the shows already listed here (David Bowie "Sound + Vision", Zappa in 1988) would definitely make my list. The B-52's playing Earth Day (1990?) in Central Park was absolutely bonkers--500K people showing up for what was essentially one of the opening acts. (Poor Hall and Oates came out to maybe 80K stragglers as the actual headliners). Nearly dying* in a mosh pit that sprung up at a TMBG/NRBQ show was just so weird and hard to explain that it makes the list as a freak oddity--even the bands were like "WTF?" And then there are artists that are continually exceptional--I have *always* had incredible times at Barenaked Ladies and Paul Simon shows, for example.

*Not hyperbole--the crowd was surging to the stage and the cyclone fencing barriers started to fail. The security guards were absolutely panicked--they had their backs braced against the stage, and their feet off the ground against the barriers helping us to keep it from collapsing bc if they went, we were going to be crushed. I've never been as scared at a show as I was that day, and I'm not someone who scares easily--I even asked security to help me leave but they couldn't do anything. I ended up bruised all over with deep wood grain marks along my ribs and some scuffed glasses from them getting kicked off my head into the security pit. Yet despite (because of?) the pain and fear, I still ended up having an incredible time because the manic energy of the crowd got the bands wired up as well, so the music was amazing!

#335 7 years ago

I have seen 100's of shows. I toured with the Grateful Dead, Phish, Widespread Panic and The String Cheese Incident. Honestly nothing compared to the live Grateful Dead shows with Jerry Garcia. The only band that even came close was the Talking Heads and David Byrne.

#336 7 years ago

@ Mancave.

Joe Bonamassa!! Yes Sir!

#337 7 years ago

I'll play mancave:
Satriani
g-3 Satch, Vai,
?
blah Met
Dave Grohl
Roger Waters
blah Bon Jovi?
?
Joe Bonnamassa
?
Slash
Satriani
? Bruce
Vai
Tenacious D.

#338 7 years ago

I didn't bust my concert cherry till the '90s.

First show for me was ACDC's Razors Edge Tour (1990) @ Rockford Metro.

My favorites:

- 2001 Radiohead @ Chicago's Grant Park. First row, dead center.

-1995 Megadeth Youthanasia tour @ Aragon - front row, direct view at Mustaine.

You guys might chuckle at this... Seriously, one of my worst shows was Metallica's Black tour @ the World (Tweeter) whatever they call that dump. Their sound just sucked - blame it on the acoustics in that place.

The concerts I wish I had gone:

1978 Black Sabbath's Never Say Die when Halen was the opening act.

1983 Journey Frontiers tour - my favorite album by them.

I'm curious, some of you guys mentioned working security at some of these venues. What bands were some of the coolest; some of the biggest d*ckwads? My buddy had the same job; I posed him this same question. His coolest from his memory were Jerry Cantrell and Mike Patton. The d*cks were Eddie Van Halen and the bassist for Faith No More. The latter was a real POS, my buddy pointed out.

#339 7 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

I'll play mancave:
Satriani
g-3 Satch, Vai,
?
blah Met
Dave Grohl
Roger Waters
blah Bon Jovi?
?
Joe Bonnamassa
?
Slash
Satriani
? Bruce
Vai
Tenacious D.

I'll fill in the gaps but you're pretty bloody close to spot on
Joe Satriani (was also at the G3)
Satch,Vai and Steve Lukather (from Toto)
Ian Moss (guitar) and Jimmy Barnes from Oz band Cold Chisel
Metallica
Dave Grohl
Roger Waters (The Wall concert, SOOOOO awesome i went 2 nights in a row)
Bon Jovi (Disappointing)
Alter Bridge (The singer Myles Kennedy i consider to be one of the best male vocalists in rock)
Joe Bonamassa
Marco Minnemann (played for Satch at his own gig)
Slash (also with Myles Kennedy singing)
Santana
YUP, that's Bruce getting surfed
Vai
And the D

#340 7 years ago

THE WHO

#341 7 years ago

mancave, guess I should have known Marco Minneman as I am a fan of Mike Keneally (saw him), Steve Wilson(saw him many times),Trey Gunn(saw him), and the Aristocrats. Checking out Alter Bridge and Cold Chisel now.
Bob

#342 7 years ago

Pat Travers at Leftys pizza Sept 16, 2007 Salem, Oregon. Another small venue show, maybe 60 people there. What a show!

#343 7 years ago

Janes Addiction Nothing Shocking Tour @ Aragon Brawlroom Chicago. I was 17, and it was epic.

#344 7 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

Checking out Alter Bridge and Cold Chisel now.

If you like ballads, and Alter Bridge have some good ones, check out this acoustic version with Myles doing what he does best (incredible vocal range)

Admittedly they have some heavier tunes also, but lyrically they are still great.

As for Cold Chisel, so many excellent tunes but it's hard to say which ones may cross the big pond and be relevant to a US audience, most of their songs are about Aussie life and times. Try this one though and see what you think

#345 7 years ago

SO Jealous. Never got to see my bother Freddie live.

Quoted from o-din:

Nice set of shows you went to.

Indeed. You and I were lucky: The mid to late '70s/early '80s (before the Yamaha DX7 took over music in the '80s) was the best era in music as far as I'm concerned. SO much variety.

#346 7 years ago

Queen '75 Tour, without a doubt....Tied with Prince on one of his spontaneous random tour dates ....showed up about 4 years ago in Greenville ( drummer from the area)....un fucking believable.....first tune was Purple Rain. Given current events, I've got memories that will never get erased and shows that will never be replicated...amazing time to be alive....

#347 7 years ago

Led Zeppelin's final concert. London, 12/10/2007

Greatest band of all time.

IMG_0131 (resized).jpgIMG_0131 (resized).jpg

#348 7 years ago

CCR and Iron Butterfly. Both in Louisville, KY in Oct. 1970. Different concerts. I was stationed at Fort Knox. A friend and I bought long hair wigs in an attempt to pick up chicks. It did not work either time.

CCR had just released 'Cosmos Factory' and played almost the entire album. Really great concert.

Iron Butterfly had just released 'Metamorphosis' and did the same thing. A really, really underrated album. They finished of course with an extended, extended version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Easily over an hour.

Saw a few great early Moody Blues concerts in St. Louis. 1969 and 1979. Back when the crowds were smaller (and quieter!) and they were still using the Mellotron.

#349 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Thin Lizzy. I wish.

That's why i was there: Thin Lizzy and UFO. My girlfren wanted to see Journey, so it worked out ok.

#350 7 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

CCR had just released 'Cosmos Factory' and played almost the entire album. Really great concert.

Jealous.
Woulda loved to see Fogarty in his prime. He did a fantastic show around these parts a couple of years ago. All the ccr hitz and all the solo ones. He hasn't lost a lick. In fact, he's a way better geetar playa now than he was then.

There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-concert-you-ever-attended/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.