Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4047 (resized).JPG
IMG_4048 (resized).JPG
IMG_1823 (resized).JPG
IMG_1822 (resized).JPG
Jon Anderson (resized).jpg
The-Adolescents-Musink-2018-www.loyalphoto.com-meg-burcina_-8 (resized).jpg
f8fc730eabfcf3fe8b0e832faf853c39--ontario-california-california-history (resized).jpg
C4EB905B-6279-47F5-B147-8CEFA7D2AE2B (resized).jpeg
20171006_220806 (resized).jpg
20171006_222020 (resized).jpg
s-l225 (resized).jpg
MPW-16403 (resized).jpg
both (resized).png
Nirvana (resized).jpg
Axis - It's A Circus World (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 15.
#251 7 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Shittiest concert EVER was Robert Cray at the Paramount in Seattle. Jesus Christ

Suprising... my shittiest concert was working nkotb

-Jeff

#252 7 years ago

Monsters of Rock tour 1988 Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City,Mo
Kingdome Come
Dokken
Scorpions
Metallica
Van Halen

It started at 1 p.m. and ended about midnight.It was a blast!
Metallica and The Scorpions played for almost an hour and a half each and Van Halen played almost two hours,the others were about an hour.They changed sets for each band so it was a long concert.

#253 7 years ago

Most arena shows suck IMO. By the time a band is big enough for an arena they made their name years ago in smaller venues and it's too late to see them.

Some of my favorite shows that come to mind:
-Hank 3 - El Corazon, Seattle, I forget when... 2006 or something
-Legendary Shack Shakers, Muddy Roots, Tennesse 2012
-Joe Buck Yourself, Muddy Roots 2013
-Fu Manchu, El Corazon, 2014
-Nashville Pussy, El Corazon, 2007 or something
-Danko Jones, opening for Turbonegro at the Showbox Seattle 2006 - didn't quite blow them off the stage but came in with 2 strikes against him and hit a homerun in my book
-saw the Bad Plus (jazz band) many times but once in particular here in Quebec city they were part of some jazz festival and some crappy artsy fartsy obnoxious boring guitar dude who scats the notes he's playing all the time was opening and most people were pretending they liked it because they felt they had to, and then the Bad Plus hit the stage and jaws were genuinely dropped.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some great ones but that's what comes to mind.

#254 7 years ago

Sound garden/ faith no more/ exodus/ Helloween - day on the green oak ca
Great show - hot day- hot women

#255 7 years ago

Here are a few of the big bands I have seen. Plenty more I cant remember.
Anthrax, Exodus, Helloween, Kiss, Metallica, The cult, Ted Nugent, Skid row, Dio, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Megadeth, LA Guns, Helloween, Wasp, Black Sabbath, Stephen Pearcy(post ratt)

Best sound was Anthrax (euphoria tour). Loudest was the first time I saw kiss, ears rang for about 3 days. Loudest audience was Iron Maiden. It was so loud that the crowd drowned out the music half the show.
Most memorable was seeing Wasp at a very small club. I stood a few feet in front of Blackie Lawless the entire show.
Worst show was the second time I saw wasp at the same club. The air conditioning was out and it was hotter than hell. Blackie amazingly played a full set, not sure how. I was dying just standing there.

If I could go back in time I would go see Zepplin at their peak.

#256 7 years ago

The Who, Dec 1982, Cotton Bowl, Dallas. It was the ORIGINAL Final Tour.

#257 7 years ago

Roger waters the wall was the Most amazing show I have ever saw !!!

#258 7 years ago

DM, the 2013 tour, in Dusseldorf

but as its the only one i had ever done, was easy to pick

#259 7 years ago

Bob log iii (date inconsequential). It's a slide guitar / drunken mess / one man band (exactly as his www site claims). Much fun was had.

Saw mudhoney and nirvana back in 93 at the Aragon in Chicago..... It, also, was quite good.

Oh, and most interesting - the smashing pumpkins opened for guns n roses during the use your illusion tour at the rosemont horizon. They were not well received at the time.

Finally (swear I'm done) the division bell tour at soldier field was off key the entire performance - but still neat - as I was hiiiiigh as shit. Lasers during a light rain make for a rather nifty effect.

#260 7 years ago

One of my favorite concert experiences is when Lux Interior reached out and patted me on the top of my head. It was about the third time I'd seen them. They were probably happy they had at least one fan.

#261 7 years ago

righto. been to many gigs, mostly metal. heres my picks:

best overall event: Motorheads Motorboat. last year we traveled from Auckland, NZ to Miami to go on a 5 day cruise with motorhead, slayer, anthrax, suicidal tendencies, exodus, corrosion of conformity, hatebreed etc etc. each band played 2 shows on the boat. bloody awesome. im a thrasher at heart so pretty much all my favourite thrash bands on one boat. brilliant.

my best individual gigs:
sepultura, third world posse tour. small venue, amazing gig. seeing igor play the drums live actually made me give up playing. there was no way i would be that good. took up drinking instead. super fun mosh pit!

alice cooper, 28.4.1991. how do i know the exact date? it was on my 18th birthday. perfect night of thunderstorms here in auckland, seemed fitting for an awesome show. great gig.

entombed, same difference tour, london. massive entombed fan, especially wolverine blues. i was so into them at that point. i was front row at the london astoria, man that show rocked!

iron maiden, somewhere back in time tour. all their classics, opening with aces high, they played phantom of the opera, poweslave, rime of the ancient mariner etc. brilliant.

shihad, killjoy album show. local nz band played their 1995 album in full a few years ago at rotordaves favourite venue the powerstation. great power rock album, amazing show.

#262 7 years ago
Quoted from cycochris:

shihad, killjoy album show. local nz band played their 1995 album in full a few years ago at rotordaves favourite venue the powerstation. great power rock album, amazing show

Shihad always put on a great show, every time I've seen them they kick ass all over the place.

Real shame they didn't break it in America. They don't know what they missed out on.

Another top show, and probably up there with the best I've seen, was Aussie band The Angels, playing at a motorcycle gangs party in New Plymouth. The gig was at a speedway track, the band was on a semi trailer on the "crowd side" behind the catch fence, and the crowd was inside the fence standing on the dirt track. This was the early 90s, around the "Dogs are Talking" era. They just went nuts big time. It was funny because EVERY SINGLE PERSON there had a black jersey on (bogan central...) ... Except my wife who had a pink jersey on. Haha.

The Angels almost cut through in the USA (unfortunately renamed as Angel City) If you read Slashs book, he cites them as a big influence on him, as do a lot of the Seatlle bands from the mid 90s.

rd

#263 7 years ago

The Angels are up there with the best of Aussie rock of that era!

#264 7 years ago

As others have said - Pink Floyd Division Bell 1994 Rose Bowl in CA. Most spectacular show. Guys - check out Australian Pink Floyd. Cover band that tours and recreates that particular tour. No, it's not on par (what could be) but it's very well done.

Also Paul McCartney at Fenway Park 2009 and 2016.

#265 7 years ago

I'm starting to lose count of the bands i've seen in the past 28 years but the most memorable will always be my first in 88' , Pink Floyd- Momentary Lapse of Reason tour at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne.

Quoted from jackd104:

Australian Pink Floyd

I've seen these guys, they are quite good for a cover band, also the New Zealand guys are great too.

#266 7 years ago

My favorite was probably Soundgarden a few years ago. I usually have horrible seats, but this was general admission, I got there early, and I was just a couple rows back. Great show.

2013-01-29 20.40.16 (resized).jpg2013-01-29 20.40.16 (resized).jpg

2013-01-29 20.55.34 (resized).jpg2013-01-29 20.55.34 (resized).jpg

2013-01-29 21.56.45 (resized).jpg2013-01-29 21.56.45 (resized).jpg

2013-01-29 21.43.35 (resized).jpg2013-01-29 21.43.35 (resized).jpg

#267 7 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Yep, when they were opening for Beck. Whatever happened to those guys?

The Roots have this small gig now on The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon. Lol

#268 7 years ago

Ok, I'm getting to the party a little late, but my best show was Anthrax, among the living tour, must've been 86 because I had just started driving. It was my first real metal show, and I didn't know what I was getting myself into. None of my close friends were into metal, so I went with a kind of fringe friend that was more of a punk guy, but he was up for a show.
This was the first general admission show I'd ever been to, and it was awesome. Seriously, it changed my life.
I lost my buddy early on, but we met up afterwards. He had lost his shirt and we were both drenched in sweat. He declared, with a bit of surprise "thay was even better than DRI". I'll never forget that show.

Honorable mention would be any of the Soul Asylum shows I saw around Wisconsin in my college years before they had any hits. Those guys used to ROCK. Interestingly, they just played at the milwaukee zoo for free last weekend. I checked it out with my daughter. They no longer ROCK. Not even (rock).

#269 7 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

Violent Femmes followed maybe by The White Stripes or The Decembrists

femmes were without the best I have ever seen, but I love the femmes

#270 7 years ago

Sorry, couldn't pick one:
Roxy Music twice in 1975
Queen in 1975
Led Zeppelin in 1975
Yes in 1974
King Crimson
Radiohead surprised me in 2003
Crosby Still Nash- saw the first show they did when David got out of jail was amazing
every Porcupine Tree show.....love this band
Steve Vai is always a blast
Tool
recently saw Steppin Stones twice.......young band out of Carolinas, just moved to Nashville....quite fun....Hanna's vocals and guitar work are awesome.

#271 7 years ago

Pink Floyd division bell/communicate tour local record store owner sold me his promoter tickets...best seats I have ever had.

Tool aenima toor, in Wichita KS playing at the cotillion ballroom of all places only holds 2000. This was right before the got big.

#272 7 years ago

The best show I ever saw was on July 10 1981. Judas Preist at Freedom Hall in Johnson City, Tn. The mid 70's thru the early 80's I tried to see every rock and roll show in east Tennessee.

#273 7 years ago

We had some great bands in the netherlands in 2016.
Zz top is always a good party( altough it sucked Dusty was playing keyboard a lot because of his broken shoulder)
Alice cooper is probably the best act ever, it is just spot on cool.
This guy just understands it, i tear up every time just because he is so epic.
Always feels like such a privilege to attend.
Neil young and willie nelsons sons( promise of the real) were the biggest surprise, f@cking awesome!
He did a real crappy concert in amsterdam a year ago with crazy horse , so i had no high expectations but the entire Ziggo Dome went nuts!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#274 7 years ago
Quoted from Riptor:

If I could go back in time I would go see Zepplin at their peak.

You did not miss much.

Saw Zep a couple times and Plant could only croak along pitifully.

If you expected the soaring, overdubbed vocal performances of Song Remains the Same, you'd be very disappointed.

All my nephews always ask "Wow, what was Zepplin like live???":

#275 7 years ago

Pearl Jam was great when I went like 2 years ago.

ZZtop had a great stage show back in the early 90s

#276 7 years ago

Milwaukee, WI - 1992

Pearl Jam opened for Smashing Pumpkins opened for Red Hot Chili Peppers.

New Order @ Popular Creek - 1987. First concert, I was 14 and my best friend just got his license and his parents gave him a big red van. Great times

Experience - Grateful Dead, Eugene, OR - 1993. Slept under trees for 4 days with beautiful girls and best friends. Showered in the river, and that was the first night.

#277 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You did not miss much.
Saw Zep a couple times and Plant could only croak along pitifully

Croaking along? Wow. Disappointing to hear that.
Bad luck a few times over or was his voice simply not good live?

#278 7 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Croaking along? Wow. Too bad.
Hey Vid, was he ever good live? Did his voice simply blow out at some point?

Plant was never good when I saw them, but I have a bootleg LP called Mudslide, that is clearly from the soundboard (no overdubbed vocals).

It's in the era of Zep II, and Plant can actually still sing.

So yes, at some early point, Plant was a powerful live performer.

Here is the Mudslide proof:

#279 7 years ago

I've seen many shows over the years but 3 come to mind.

My first concert ever was The Who at the Spectrum in Philly. Simply amazing show.
ELO's out of the blue tour in '77. Seeing the spaceship open up at the beginning was awesome.
Gary Numan in 1980. The Pleasure Principle had just come out. The sound at that show was perfect.
The opening act for this show was Nash the Slash. He was a one man band that used synth sequencers and played the mandolin. Been a fan ever since.

#280 7 years ago

imagine being able to see zeppelin like this

#281 7 years ago

I'll play. We took a trip to Denver area. Last 2 nights were in Golden (home of Coors Brewery). A friend said "hey, if you are there, you should check out what's playing at Red Rocks, it's an awesome place". Well, we already booked our tickets and our hotel room, let's see what happens to be there either of those nights, if anything. Elvis Costello opening for the Police. What the f-? Hey it's our vacation, let's go crazy. Bought some wonderful seats, perfect summer night, on vacation, what a wonderful accidental fantastic night.

#282 7 years ago
Quoted from cycochris:

righto. been to many gigs, mostly metal. heres my picks:
best overall event: Motorheads Motorboat. last year we traveled from Auckland, NZ to Miami to go on a 5 day cruise with motorhead, slayer, anthrax, suicidal tendencies, exodus, corrosion of conformity, hatebreed etc etc. each band played 2 shows on the boat. bloody awesome. im a thrasher at heart so pretty much all my favourite thrash bands on one boat. brilliant.
my best individual gigs:
sepultura, third world posse tour. small venue, amazing gig. seeing igor play the drums live actually made me give up playing. there was no way i would be that good. took up drinking instead. super fun mosh pit!
alice cooper, 28.4.1991. how do i know the exact date? it was on my 18th birthday. perfect night of thunderstorms here in auckland, seemed fitting for an awesome show. great gig.
entombed, same difference tour, london. massive entombed fan, especially wolverine blues. i was so into them at that point. i was front row at the london astoria, man that show rocked!
iron maiden, somewhere back in time tour. all their classics, opening with aces high, they played phantom of the opera, poweslave, rime of the ancient mariner etc. brilliant.
shihad, killjoy album show. local nz band played their 1995 album in full a few years ago at rotordaves favourite venue the powerstation. great power rock album, amazing show.
» YouTube video

Man I wanted to go on that Motorhead cruise so goddamn bad. Bet that was a whole nother level. B'dass.

#283 7 years ago
Quoted from Fresh_Wax:

imagine being able to see zeppelin like this

Yeah, I must have been about seven years too late then. But it was my first concert and lasted almost four hours so I'm not complaining. I had a great time.

#284 7 years ago

Blondie at the Paradise in Boston around '95 or '96. Only Debbie Harry & Chris Stein from the original line up but they were great. Also Pink Floyd in Livorno.

#285 7 years ago

The ones I can remember right now:
1. Clash in '79 @ Santa Monica Civic. Leaning against the stage, not a barrier. London Calling tour.
2. Ramones in '80 @ Warfield Theatre, SF. Crushed against the stage. Joey stepped on my fingers.
3. Motorhead at a club in SF in '79. The stage was 3 inches high. Lemmy spewed saliva everywhere. Nightranger opened and the Motorhead fans were flipping them off the whole set like 3 inches from their faces.
4. Devo at Phoenix Theatre in Petaluma in '80. One week before the gig that O-Din was at that started this thread.
5. Elvis Costello @ Warfield in '81. Also saw him in '79 @ Cal POly SLO. That might have been an even better show.
6. Monsters of Rock @ Oakland Colosseum in '79: Nugent, Aerosmith, AC/DC and more. Aerosmith was soooo loaded. Also saw the Day on the Green a couple of weeks before with Journey, J Geils, UFO, and Thin Lizzy. That fairly rocked too.
7. BOC, Cheap Trick, Pat Travers @ California State Fair in '79.
8. Pretenders @ Cal Poly SLO in '80 I think.
9. Saxon and Metallica in '82 at the Whiskey in SmellA. Metallica was the opening act and did mostly covers and got blown away by Saxon:

I was there baby.

#286 7 years ago

Metallica "Justice for All" with Queensryche "Operation Mindcrime"
1989 UIC pavillion 3 rd row

Best concert I've been to evar!!!!

Black Sabbath Dehumanizer with RJD is a close second...

Page Plant was good too, but Plant's voice had started to give when I seen that show, but it was still awesome to see the 2 of them on stage together!

Iron Maiden is always awesome!! Seventh son of a seventh son, fear of the dark, Final frontier
Eagles "hell froze over" was awesome as well
Rush is a top favorite as well, seen them several times with "subdivisions" being one of my fav's because of who I went with and what happened at the concert it was several years before I was married so don't ask.....
First LP I ever bought was 2112

#287 7 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

Nice set of shows you went to. I saw this same tour at the Long Beach Arena with Gamma instead of Cheap Trick. Cheap Trick played New Years Eve at the same venue and we went to that too.

Quoted from gatordad:

Metallica "Justice for All" with Queensryche "Operation Mindcrime"
1989 UIC pavillion 3 rd row

Again two separate shows I saw at Irvine Meadows. We went to Metallica two nights in a row.

The Operation Mindcrime show was epic. They were very good. I think Faith No More opened for them.

#288 7 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

The ones I can remember right now:
1. Clash in '79 @ Santa Monica Civic. Leaning against the stage, not a barrier. London Calling tour.
2. Ramones in '80 @ Warfield Theatre, SF. Crushed against the stage. Joey stepped on my fingers.
3. Motorhead at a club in SF in '79. The stage was 3 inches high. Lemmy spewed saliva everywhere. Nightranger opened and the Motorhead fans were flipping them off the whole set like 3 inches from their faces.
4. Devo at Phoenix Theatre in Petaluma in '80. One week before the gig that O-Din was at that started this thread.
5. Elvis Costello @ Warfield in '81. Also saw him in '79 @ Cal POly SLO. That might have been an even better show.
6. Monsters of Rock @ Oakland Colosseum in '79: Nugent, Aerosmith, AC/DC and more. Aerosmith was soooo loaded. Also saw the Day on the Green a couple of weeks before with Journey, J Geils, UFO, and Thin Lizzy. That fairly rocked too.
8. Pretenders @ Cal Poly SLO in '80 I think.
9. Saxon and Metallica in '82 at the Whiskey in SmellA. Metallica was the opening act and did mostly covers and got blown away by Saxon: » YouTube video I was there baby.

Thin Lizzy. I wish.

#289 7 years ago

So many shows but let me decide my favorite on vacation and return

#290 7 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

So many shows but let me decide my favorite on vacation and return

No. Deicide now.

#291 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There's another one that's near top of my list. Again, it had to do with the right place and time.
They played a small theatre the night after x-mas 1987. It was their very first hometown show after realeasing AFD. There is some bootleg quality recordings out there, but they are rough. The concert itself was great.

I loved KNAC and now only KNAC.com

#292 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Thin Lizzy. I wish.

Same here. Never did.

Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I loved KNAC and now only KNAC.com

They were more than a radio station, they were a way of life.

Our local pure rock station KNAC would do an anniversary show every year including some all star jams.

Party Ninjas in 1988 was one of my favorites. I even bought the t-shirt. The next year was pretty good too.

Check out the guest list-

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/pure-rock-105-5-knac-1988-01-05-santa-monica-ca-aud-fm-flac-202621.html

kgrhqjhjboe7ymgfi5zbpfyf7p0g6057_480 (resized).jpgkgrhqjhjboe7ymgfi5zbpfyf7p0g6057_480 (resized).jpg

#293 7 years ago

Party fucking Ninjas !
I can die now.

#294 7 years ago

For me, Rush, 3 rows back and center about five years ago. I was talked into going against my desire to sleep off a float trip. Glad I went because it was amazing even though I didn't know their music beforehand. I only new one song that Dave Glover Plays as a bumper on his radio show.

#295 7 years ago

Saw Alice Cooper in 87 or 88 I think. Either constrictor or raise your fists tour. There were all these balloons floating above the floor area. Then pop. They all explode and cover everyone in a red dye or animal blood. Haha. My brothers new $30 WHITE tour concert shirt covered in red. Good times. Should ask him if he still has the pic of him and Alice after in a meet n greet.

#296 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Party fucking Ninjas !
I can die now.

All I can say is it was fn great.

The next year MSG was there and did a 15 minute version of Rock Bottom. When we walked in Ted Nugent was up on stage and he wasn't even on the bill. He had some new bandmates with him. Turned out to be one of the Damn Yankees first shows.

#297 7 years ago

My most moving was seeing Cake because it was the first show with my friends in High School.

#298 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Turned out to be one of the Damn Yankees first shows.

You got yer money back right ?

#299 7 years ago

1991 Irvine Meadows. One show, five bands.

Metal Church
Dangerous Toys
Motorhead
Alice Cooper
Judas Priest

And we hung out with the dudes from Leatherwolf in the beer garden. Those guys were cool. Motorhead lit the place up.

#300 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

You got yer money back right ?

They weren't on the bill, so it was free. I didn't know who they were but were jamming some song called pyledriver and only played three more. I need to call a buddy to remember who else was all there that night. It's kind of a blur now.

There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-concert-you-ever-attended/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.