Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4047 (resized).JPG
IMG_4048 (resized).JPG
IMG_1823 (resized).JPG
IMG_1822 (resized).JPG
Jon Anderson (resized).jpg
The-Adolescents-Musink-2018-www.loyalphoto.com-meg-burcina_-8 (resized).jpg
f8fc730eabfcf3fe8b0e832faf853c39--ontario-california-california-history (resized).jpg
C4EB905B-6279-47F5-B147-8CEFA7D2AE2B (resized).jpeg
20171006_220806 (resized).jpg
20171006_222020 (resized).jpg
s-l225 (resized).jpg
MPW-16403 (resized).jpg
both (resized).png
Nirvana (resized).jpg
Axis - It's A Circus World (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 15.
#501 7 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Queensryche

Queensryche may have been one of the best concerts I saw at Irvine Meadows... Operation Mindcrime tour 1989.

#502 7 years ago

MAY 12 1989
Queensrÿche
at Irvine Meadows, Irvine, CA, USA
Operation: Mindcrime Tour.
Setlist
NM 156
Screaming in Digital
Surgical Strike
The Whisper
Walk in the Shadows
Chemical Youth (We Are Rebellion)
London
No Sanctuary
I Remember Now
Anarchy-X
Revolution Calling
Operation: Mindcrime
Speak
Spreading the Disease
The Mission
The Needle Lies
Electric Requiem
Breaking the Silence
I Don't Believe in Love
Eyes of a Stranger

Encore:
Queen of the Reich
Prophecy
The Lady Wore Black

#503 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Queensryche may have been one of the best concerts I saw at Irvine Meadows... Operation Mindcrime tour 1989.

The Mindcrime tour was fantastic.

I have the original VHS and CD Box set of the 1991 concert in Madison WI where they played the whole album live, Operation Livecrime. I have it on my phone and still listen to it all the time.

In 2006 I flew to Sydney to see them do Mindcrime live at the Metro Theatre. They played most of the Mindcrime album, then more songs on top. It was a winner. The only bummer was no Chris Degarmo but the rest of the guys were there.

Setlist
Revolution Calling
Operation: Mindcrime
Spreading the Disease
Suite Sister Mary
The Needle Lies
Breaking the Silence
I Don't Believe in Love
Convict
I'm American
One Foot in Hell
Hostage
The Hands
Signs Say Go
Murderer?
If I Could Change It All
An Intentional Confrontation
Eyes of a Stranger
The Whisper
Jet City Woman
Empire
Silent Lucidity

#504 7 years ago

Tool Izod Center, East Rutherford, NJ 2012 stands out for me as one of the best concerts, but there has been so many.

#505 7 years ago

I've been to some pretty awesome Kiss concerts, and as a single show the farewell tour concert I saw in Charleston, SC in 2000 was the absolute best. It was the very final show of the Farewell tour, and the VERY last time all 4 original members performed on stage together. The band knew this was the last show and the energy was crazy. At the very end, Peter Criss destroyed his drum set also, which was very cool.

Best overall show though? Monsters of Rock in 1988 in Tampa without a doubt. Don't think anything will ever top this show for me.

Groups included Van Halen, Metallica, Scorpions, and Dokken.

#506 7 years ago

Once again I'm the odd man out. Maynard Ferguson was an amazing concert. I went to about 10 of them over the years.

2 weeks later
#507 7 years ago

Red Rocks in Morrison, CO is the absolute best. Every band, big and small are just awestruck when performing there. The best band this year was The National. Absolutely fantastic.

Anyone here into the NPR tiny desk concerts? The one for The National and the closely associated EL VY are really good.

We also saw my favorite band, The Cure at Fiddlers Green this year. Great concert, and very deep into the catalog, but the venue just did not carry it for us. Saw their Disitegration tour in 1992 (great concert, different times).

Not to drone on too long, but we also saw Counting Crows and Rob Thomas at Red Rocks. I went for Counting Crows and my wife was going for Rob. Surprisingly, the Counting Crows just basically phoned it in, while Rob Thomas (first time to play RR) stole the show and outperformed!

3 weeks later
#509 7 years ago

Tool, Tool again, and Tool again. But Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Korn, Rob Zombie, and Disco Biscuits have all been pretty spectacular as well.

#510 7 years ago

For me, has to be Tom Petty & the heartbreakers w Jackson Brown at Devore California: late Aug. '01? Nice warm evening at an outdoor stadium..just when I'm trying to park in the parking lot, people asked me if I wanted a beer/hoot..Hell yeah! People of all ages, friendly environment w just a good vibe..great music. This concert was pretty epic for me..
Honourable mentions-The police and Fleetwood Mac and John Fogerty..classic!

#511 7 years ago

Probably Mariah Carrey over the weekend in Times Square. It was awesome.

#512 7 years ago

Butthole Surfers

#513 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Tool, Tool again, and Tool again. But Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Korn, Rob Zombie, and Disco Biscuits have all been pretty spectacular as well.

I retired from the police department a few years ago. Several years ago I spotted a rock star tour bus at the hotel and the driver was checking things out. So I pulled in to talk to him. I asked him what band. He said, "Korn." I had never heard of them (see my post above for my type of music). I asked him about it and he said as far as he can figure it's just a bunch of noise as loud as they can get the speakers. Hahahahaha. He appeared to be more of a Charlie Daniels type. I asked him about the partition door behind the driver's seat since I hadn't seen that before. He said he loves it. He does a head count and then shuts the door and starts driving. He said he doesn't want to know anything about the drugs and women that goes on back there while he's driving.

#514 7 years ago
Quoted from Bob86ZZ4:

He said, "Korn."

The pinhead from the Chicagoland area... Nice.

#515 7 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Bob Dylan is terrible live at this point, but there are always a couple of great moments in his shows for me. I'm a huge Dylan Fan, but I didn't get to see him live until about 2007.

Saw him live here in Knoxville TN about 2 months ago. Ugh. It was simply the worst concert I've ever seen. He deserves respect for his musical contribution (it's enormous). Love his music but the voice is gone and there was zero audience/performer interaction.

20161109_215548 (resized).jpg20161109_215548 (resized).jpg

#516 7 years ago

Eagles Hell Freezes Over 1992
GNR and Alice In Chains 2016

#517 7 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

GNR and Alice In Chains 2016

Interesting, and impressive, considering neither are are the original full lineups and 25 years past their prime.

#518 7 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Saw him live here in Knoxville TN about 2 months ago. Ugh. It was simply the worst concert I've ever seen. He deserves respect for his musical contribution (it's enormous). Love his music but the voice is gone and there was zero audience/performer interaction.

I couldn't agree more. I saw Dylan in 1993 and it was one of the few concerts I left early it was so bad. My girlfriend said she couldn't stand how he played Lay Lady Lay and I didn't even recognize that he played that song.

#519 7 years ago

Concerts is my 2nd hobby behind pinball - we go to about 30-40 / year... There's a ton of highlights over the years, but for all out blown away spectacle... It's got to be Roger Waters 'The Wall'... just beyond amazing. I was at Live Aid as well and that's a pretty cool thing to have been a part of.

#520 7 years ago

It's a tie between Nine Inch Nails: Lights in the Sky and Nine Inch Nails: Waves Goodbye for me. I've never seen a more amazing light show in my life. The 3D effects with the LED screens ruined most other concerts for me.

Here's the end of some video. NSFW Lyrics:

Like most things, video doesn't really give the full feel, but it's a taste.

#521 7 years ago

I'd have to say that ELO at the Hollywood Bowl with the HB orchestra back in September is easily one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Worth the cross-country flight. Lasers, projections on the front of the proscenium, a huge fireworks show during the encore, and music that sounded lifted from the albums. And incredible experience for any ELO fan...and hey! They just got into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

#522 7 years ago

The Bus Boys opening for the Stray Cats at Radford U. 1984. By the time the Stray Cats took the stage, I was exhausted. But a great combo. The Bus Boys were a last minute substitution for Souixsie and the Banshees.

1 month later
#523 7 years ago
Quoted from Onevox:

The Bus Boys opening for the Stray Cats at Radford U. 1984.

Never saw The Bus Boys. However it looks like somebody was recording the Stray Cats when I saw them. When they played Drink That Bottle Down, Setzer tore into a blues solo that made my knees weak. I'd love to find that recording.

#525 7 years ago

Don't listen to them anymore but GnRs at Toronto Exhibition Stadium was quite something to see
Dio and Megadeth Maple Leaf Gardens
Rage against the Machine Rico Center, greatness
Slayer, Exhibition CNE grandstand had soft seats and good chemicals on the Divine Intervention tour, takes the top spot.
I'm old.

#526 7 years ago

Was looking thru some old shows I went to and this one stood out.

August 23, 1975 Cleveland Stadium $10.00......5 great bands

1) Mahogony Rush - Frank Marino

partial setlist:

1. Purple Haze (The Jimi Hendrix Experience cover)
2. Red House (The Jimi Hendrix Experience cover)
3. She's Not There
4. Machine Gun (Band of Gypsys cover)
5. Came to Play (with The Star-Spangled Banner)

2) Blue Oyster Cult Secret Treaties Tour

1. Stairway to the Stars
2. OD'd on Life Itself
3. Harvester of Eyes
4. Dominance and Submission
5. Cities on Flame With Rock and Roll
6. Buck's Boogie
7. ME 262

3) Aerosmith Toys in the Attic Tour

1. Walkin' the Dog (Rufus Thomas cover)
2. S.O.S. (Too Bad)
3. Somebody
4. Big Ten Inch Record (Bull Moose Jackson cover)
5. Sweet Emotion
6. Dream On
7. Write Me a Letter
8. Walk This Way
9. Same Old Song and Dance
10. Mama Kin
11. Train Kept A-Rollin' (Tiny Bradshaw cover)
12. Batman Theme (Neal Hefti cover)
13. Toys in the Attic

4) Uriah Heep Return To Fantasy Tour

1. Devil's Daughter
2. Stealin'
3. Suicidal Man
4. Shady Lady
5. Prima Donna
6. Rainbow Demon
7. July Morning
8. Return to Fantasy
9. Easy Livin'
10. Sweet Lorraine
11. Gypsy
12. Bird of Prey
13. Love Machine
14. Look at Yourself

5) Rod Stewart and Faces w/ orchestra

1. Memphis, Tennessee (Chuck Berry cover)
2. It's All Over Now (The Valentinos cover)
3. Three Time Loser (Rod Stewart song)
4. Miss Judy's Farm
5. I'd Rather Go Blind (Etta James cover)
6. Sweet Little Rock & Roller (Chuck Berry cover)
7. (I Know) I'm Losing You (The Temptations cover)
8. Take a Look at the Guy (Ron Wood song)
9. Bring It On Home to Me / You Send Me (Sam Cooke cover)
10. Angel (Jimi Hendrix cover)
11. You Wear It Well (Rod Stewart song)
12. Maggie May (Rod Stewart song)
13. Big Bayou (Gib Guilbeau cover)
14. Stay With Me
15. Twistin' the Night Away (Sam Cooke cover)

#527 7 years ago
Quoted from Onevox:

The Bus Boys opening for the Stray Cats at Radford U. 1984. By the time the Stray Cats took the stage, I was exhausted. But a great combo. The Bus Boys were a last minute substitution for Souixsie and the Banshees.

Awesome! I found out about the Bus Boys because of "Cleanin up this town" from Ghostbusters... got that song in my head for YEARS.

#528 7 years ago

For me, Rush, Rush, and Rush

My wife and I always go to Chris Isaak when he comes through , that is always amazing

#529 7 years ago

I just saw Yes for the 10th time. They change line ups so often I doubt I ever saw the same line up more than a couple of times. They played some of their more obscure stuff which I enjoyed. The last encore was the Asia song "Heat of the Moment" in memory of John Wetton. Fitting, since two of the current Yes members were co-founders of Asia.

#530 7 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

I just saw Yes for the 10th time. They change line ups so often I doubt I ever saw the same line up more than a couple of times. They played some of their more obscure stuff which I enjoyed. The last encore was the Asia song "Heat of the Moment" in memory of John Wetton. Fitting, since two of the current Yes members were co-founders of Asia.

I had front row center for Yes when they played with Toto in 2015. We walked out three songs in. The lead singer looked like some parody from Saturday Night Live and my wife and I couldn't stop laughing.

I love Yes (seeing them inducted in the Hall of Fame in April), but can't stand the new lineup.

#531 7 years ago

I can't use the quote feature damn, Odin...

I had ordered tickets to see Zeppelin in the through out door in 78 in Detroit. John bonhom died and the concert was cancelled.

My first concert ended up being the stones and Santana and iggy pop tattoo you tour. Not the same.

But my favorites are probably

Joe satriani flying in a blue dream, Michigan ball room. They were on fire, stu hamms bass incredible too.

Powerslave tour in detriot.

Duran Duran Union of the snake , what a party for a senior.

Queen

And now Primus.

#532 7 years ago

Rush the best show all 40 times..

#533 7 years ago

Just saw Billy Joel at the Garden last night. Great concert.

First time I saw him, he still had hair.

#534 7 years ago

Great thread.

I really don't know where to begin, so I will throw a few things out from going to concerts for 35 years.

Most surprising show I didn't want to attend: Darius Rucker Pine Knob - when he played Purple Rain at the end and some redneck said "never heard this one, must be off his new record..." it made my night. Rucker can sing. Honorable mention to Alan Jackson at The Palace who had a killer band.

Loudest - The Who at The Palace (although I was walking by the House of Blues once and Motorhead was playing and people were walking out covering their ears, but I did not officially attend).

Best opening act - Lifehouse opening up for the Goo Goo Dolls at Freedom Hill. They killed it and left a roaring crowd for the "phone it in" Goo Goo's who sucked IMHO.

Most geriatric crowd - Fleetwood Mac at The Palace a few years ago - I have never felt so young at a concert. Surprised it wasn't sponsored by AARP.

Worst guitar player - The guy who replaced Gary Richrath for REO Speedwagon. It was at some crap '80's night concert I got dragged to at Pine Knob (I will always call it that) and boy did it suck and REO was garbage.

Most talented - Dave Brubeck at Music Hall in Detroit

Most raw - The Minutemen in Ann Arbor right before they crashed the van

Hottest women in crowd - Rat/Poison at Pine Knob - 1988. It was like the Playboy mansion pool emptied into Pine Knob.

Guilty pleasure - Taylor Swift - 1989 Album tour at Ford Field. I took my daughters who wanted to leave after the third song, but I enjoyed the production.

Most intimate venue - Amy Grant with an acoustic in a room with around 50 people at a wedding hall. Beautiful woman and very talented.

Worst show - Belinda Carlisle at Pine Knob. I sat next to the sound board and the engineer saw how I was cringing and he leaned over and said "Imagine having to listen to this f--king shit every night....."

Best show - Bryan Ferry - Fox Theater - Detroit Michigan - 1994 He killed it....

#535 7 years ago

Rush outdoors at the State Fair playing 3+ hours of their greatest hits and a crowd full of Neil Pert wannabe air drummers.

#536 7 years ago

I love rush too,

I watched the signals tour then flash forward to the time machine tour and 1 other recently, one of my all time favorite bands.

#537 7 years ago

One of my rush albums I bought contained a bit of weed inside when I got home That was about 1987. That had never happened again.

#538 7 years ago
Quoted from mojomania:

I think the best concert I am about to go to next year, will be the Head Full of Dreams Tour with Coldplay.

Same here. My kids love Coldplay (I think they are alright) but that show was pretty amazing. We are going again this summer at Soldier Field in Chicago.

#539 7 years ago

Best Concerts:

- Chickenfoot
- Tesla
- Scorpions
- Rush
- Michael Schenker Group / UFO w/ Michael
- Aerosmith
- AC/DC
- Kenny Wayne Shepard
- Ted Nugent
- Skillet

I saw Tesla twice as an opening band, and the were just so-so. But seeing them as the headliner in a small club was awesome.
Non-headlining bands typically get screwed on sound and lighting, because the promoters/venues do NOT want an opening band to out perform the headliner.

#540 7 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Hottest women in crowd - Rat/Poison at Pine Knob - 1988. It was like the Playboy mansion pool emptied into Pine Knob.

Mine had to be Motley Crue on the Girls Girls Girls tour. Probably the only show I ever went to that had more ladies than men. And most were dressed accordingly.

#541 7 years ago
Quoted from Diane_Sauer:

Pink Floyd the Wall in February of 1980.

If I could have seen any concert that would be it.I just got tickets to Roger Waters Us and Them. I didn't sleep all night thinking about it.

#542 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Just saw Billy Joel at the Garden last night. Great concert.
First time I saw him, he still had hair.

I'm glad to hear he's still great.I have tickets for his show in November.

#543 7 years ago

Went to see them in a small venue called the Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino with Pat Travers on the Hemispheres Tour in 1978. Very small place. Last time I saw them was again in 1980.

#544 7 years ago

I finally found a decent recording of GnR at one of the shows they did at Perkins Palace in Dec 1987. We went to the one the night before

First hometown show after the release of AFD.

They were gooooood.

#545 7 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

I'm glad to hear he's still great.I have tickets for his show in November.

On some of his songs, he asked which one everyone wanted to hear. He would ask "want song A or B?" The fans would cheer for the one they wanted. He also played Rock n Roll by Led Zeppelin, Take it Easy by the Eagles, Lost that Lovin feeling by the Righteous Brothers.

After the show, we all looked at each other trying to decide when we want to see him again.

#546 7 years ago

Can't pick just one.
Metallica with GnR in Kansas City. First time James played after the burn accident. The opening act was Ice T's "metal band."
Stone Temple Pilots opening for Megadeth in the Cotillion Ballroom in Wichita, KS. Tiny venue, great bands(before I grew to dislike Dave Mustaine).
More recently, Soundgarden and Nine Inch Nails at the shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, CA. Just epic.

#547 7 years ago

Tie:

Beastie Boys-Rosemont 1998

Chemical Brothers and Fatboy Slim-Aragon Ballroom 2001

#548 7 years ago
Quoted from Underspin:

Chemical Brothers and Fatboy Slim-Aragon Ballroom 2001

I think I was at that one, but I can't remember much about it and whether or not it was DJ sets or "live performances"?

I do remember seeing The Prodigy around that time, and they were touring with a live band. I remember that being a high-energy show.

#549 7 years ago

Now that it's been such a long time past, I like going to little county fairs or Bar Mitzvahs and pulling up a chair while Night Ranger belts out Sister Christian and then packing up and heading home.

#550 7 years ago

Asleep at the WHEEL WITH Ray Benson at a bar when they were past there prime was one hell of a show , Western Swing Music

There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-concert-you-ever-attended/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.