3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 704 posts
  • 250 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BigT
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 106 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4047 (resized).JPG
IMG_4048 (resized).JPG
IMG_1823 (resized).JPG
IMG_1822 (resized).JPG
Jon Anderson (resized).jpg
The-Adolescents-Musink-2018-www.loyalphoto.com-meg-burcina_-8 (resized).jpg
f8fc730eabfcf3fe8b0e832faf853c39--ontario-california-california-history (resized).jpg
C4EB905B-6279-47F5-B147-8CEFA7D2AE2B (resized).jpeg
20171006_220806 (resized).jpg
20171006_222020 (resized).jpg
s-l225 (resized).jpg
MPW-16403 (resized).jpg
both (resized).png
Nirvana (resized).jpg
Axis - It's A Circus World (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 15.
#451 3 years ago

2006, Green Day's American Idiot tour. Their Dayton show was cancelled at the last minute, so when they rescheduled a few months later, they wanted to make it up to us. They opened by playing with the whole album in order, followed by the rest of their regular show. Then they played a 40 minutes of greatest hits and three encores. I've never seen a band work harder.

#452 3 years ago

Back in the 70's Cheap Trick and AC/DC were some of the best I saw.
'80s it was the Police and Robert Palmer and maybe Fishbone
'90s we saw the Replacements and Alex Chilton regularly
2000's Bela Fleck has excelled

But my favorite live band nowadays is Here Come The Mummies They mostly play the mid west and put on a tight high energy show.

check out these youtube videos.

#453 3 years ago

1st concert - KISS in Madison Square Gardens in 1979.....(Mom brought me, lol)

Tonight - Bruce Springsteen in Virginia Beach.....hardest working??.....he played his longest concert ever last week....over 4 hours!

Hundreds of shows in between but here are a few that come to mind....wish I still had my ticket stubs:

*Nirvana / Breeders, In Utero tour.......seriously thought I was going to die under a pile of bodies in the initial crush of "Territorial Pissings"
*Robert Plant 1st solo tour with Phil Collins on drums....HoneyDrippers
*Peter Gabriel, So tour....he was crowd surfing during "Lay Your Hands On Me" way before it was "the cool thing to do"
*Roger Waters, Pros and Cons of Hitchiking, and solo Wall tours
*The Cars, Heartbeat City Tour
*The Kinks, Give the people what They Want Tour
*Grateful Dead / Jerry Garcia Band.....I lost count of how many shows, and tours I was on through the 80's

In small bars:
*Faith No More, Epic tour
*Jonny Lang.....when he was 12 years old in NC, and last year at in Richmond
*Blind Melon.....Shannon Hoon died a few weeks later
*Live, Mental Jewelry tour
*L7, bricks are heavy tour
*Chris Issac
*Bob Mould, 1st solo WorkBook tour, and with Sugar
*BB King, festival tent
*Alabama Shakes
*SuperTouch at CBGB's....one of my cousins Hardcore bands in the 80's
*Living Colour
*Concrete Blonde

Concerts I had tickets for, but had to miss for other reasons.....arrghhh!
*Lenny Kravitz, Let Love Rule tour
*Smashing Pumpkins, Siamese Dream tour
*Elton John....had 4th row tickets but had to leave, so we walked up to the person sitting the farthest from the stage....handed them our tickets, and walked out

Comedy concerts:
*Bill Cosby, 1974 Dome Arena
*Sam Kinison, right before he died
*George Carlin
*Jerry Sienfeld

I am sure I will think of many more as soon as I post this.

#454 3 years ago

Wish I had saved all my tickets stubs as well. I forgotten so many. Here are the stand outs

1978 Yes, in the round
1981 B-52s at Redrocks
1988 Monsters of Rock - Candlestick Park (Van Halen, Scorpions, Metallica, Dokken, Kingdom Come
1980 Kansas - Hilton Coliseum
1980 Boston with Sammy Hagar
1981 Styx - Paradise Theater
1979 Queen - Hilton Coliseum
2008 Kenny Wayne Sheppard - Cedar Rapids
2016 Collective Soul - Private Party at The Tabernacle in Atlanta

I've seen Kansas, Styx and Boston many, many times. Almost always awesome events. Funny how I've seen these guys at the heights of their careers playing sold out arenas and then down to dingy bars and back to smaller arenas again.

Monsters of Rock was so-so musically, but it was such a massive venue that it is very memorable. Recently watched Collective Soul at a private party and it was amazing.

Bands I love that for some reason I've never seen and probably won't (cause some of them are no more)... Rush, Dream Theater, The Offspring, Steely Dan, The Knack, The Smithereens, Dire Straits and ELO.

#455 3 years ago

Some of the concerts in my "early daze" included some pretty cool Double Bills.

One that singed my eyebrows was RUSH/KISS at Georgetown University I think it was in 1974 or 1975. College days.

Rush was promoting their Fly By Night LP and opened for KISS.
I was in the second row in front of the PA and FLASH POTS. OMG..The heat was intense..Alex Lifeson was a pedal playing wizard.

and KISS just did what they did best in those early days! Fake Blood, fire breathers, etc.

Also saw Blue Oyster Cult for the first time open for Nazareth in Va. There was armed police and police dogs everywhere that night.
Kinda intimidating...

Worse double billing was Uriah Heep opening for Earth Wind and Fire. What were they thinking!?
All I can remember was all the whistles the audience was blowing for EW&F. Had to leave early..wasn't a safe environment.
This was at the Baltimore Civic Center long before HarborPlace was built on the waterfront.

#456 3 years ago

For you guys who have seen Queen with Freddy Mercury, all I can say is WOW!

Best:

1986 - 5150 Tour - Worcester, MA - First Van Halen tour with Sammy Hagar

1988 -Now & Zen Tour - Mansfield, MA - opening act was Stevie Ray Vaughan

Worst (by a mile):

1987 - Slippery When Wet Tour - Providence Civic Center - Bon Jovi at their height...painful to my ears

#457 3 years ago

That's pretty tough...
1991 The Cure- Wish Tour in DC
2009 Meshuggah, Cynic, The Faceless- Towson, MD
2013 Low Roar and Monotown- Reykjavik, Iceland
90's any number of Fugazi shows

#458 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No one ever believes me, but back in the 80s I saw The Mentors in a double bill with The Revolting Cocks.

» YouTube video
» YouTube video
The crowd was 1/2 metal heads and 1/2 industrial dance posers.

I filmed some of The Mentor's show here in Richmond in the 90's. I would assume their last show here. My friend and I went to see what kind of ridiculousness might transpire. El Duce kept talking about the Confederacy on stage...later I asked him, on camera, if he had any words of wisdom. He said, "F*ck fat pigs, they f*ck back". Thank you, El Duce. Ha.

#459 3 years ago

ACDC lastnight!20160904_204852(0) (resized).jpg

#460 3 years ago

Ok, .....I'm sitting still in traffic after just watching Bruce Springsteen play non-stop for 4 hours!! That wasn't a concert....it was a freaking religious experience!

#461 3 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

Ok, .....I'm sitting still in traffic after just watching Bruce Springsteen play non-stop for 4 hours!! That wasn't a concert....it was a freaking religious experience!

He's a beast... consistent 4 hour sets across 5 decades. My first concert was his Born In The USA tour (1984). It was both an awesome and miserable experience standing on the top level of a stadium trying to stay warm in freezing temps for hours on end. It did get people up and dancing as a survival mechanism.

#462 3 years ago

Black Sabbath tomorrow night.

Last Dallas show ever

\M/

--Jeff

#463 3 years ago

Not sure this counts (it doesn't) and normally I hate musicals so it remains to be seen but I'm going to the Book of Mormon tonight, heard it was good.

mormons2 (resized).jpg

*Edit, still hate musicals... like really hate them.

#464 3 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

But my favorite live band nowadays is Here Come The Mummies They mostly play the mid west and put on a tight high energy show.
check out these youtube videos.
» YouTube video
» YouTube video

Man that so cool I love that

#465 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Can we only pick one? That's tough. Rush was fantastic. I really like Shinedown, and they are great live, but by far the best overall show I have ever seen has been Muse. The sound, the stage presence, the props, and holy crap the lighting was incredible. Everything about this show was incredible. Just a phenomenal, non stop 2 1/2 hour show.
» YouTube video
» YouTube video
If you can find a good quality video of the Drones tour, do yourself a favor and watch it. My crap phone videos don't do them ANY justice.
Chris

MUSE has it, hands down. My favorite was when I saw them during their Black Holes and Revelations tour in 06/07 at the Forum in Los Angeles; that was pretty much their last good album. Helluva show.

#466 3 years ago
Quoted from Neuromancer87:

MUSE has it, hands down. My favorite was when I saw them during their Black Holes and Revelations tour in 06/07 at the Forum in Los Angeles; that was pretty much their last good album. Helluva show.

I warmed up to Drones. Black Holes and Revelations was just amazing. When we saw them on the Drones tour, the only song I really wanted to hear was Maps of the Problematique. I was not disappointed. My friend only wanted to hear "Plug in Baby" Again, not disappointed. Some crazy props too made it really interesting. They seem to really enjoy what they do.

A MUSE show is an experience. You really feel like part of the show.

Chris

#467 3 years ago

Been lovin' Steppin Stones lately. Going to see this young band for the 3rd time on the 16th at Terra Fermata in Stuart, lots of fun. Hannah's awesome. Check em out if they're in your neck of the woods.
http://www.thesteppinstones.com/

glwts

#468 3 years ago

My first festival aged 15, the whole thing blew my mind! So many highlights from that weekend.

rs_2002redleeds (resized).jpg

#469 3 years ago

First festival? I've got to go back to 1977 on that one. Ted Nugent, Foreigner, and REO Speedwagon opened for

Lynyrd Skynyrd on their Street Survivors tour at Anaheim Stadium. I went mainly to see Nugent, but when Skynyrd came out that place was rocking so hard the upper levels of the stadium were bouncing up and down several feet. I thought it might come down. I can't remember if I ever saw a crowd so emotional since then.

A few weeks later the band was involved in a fatal plane crash, and the rest as they say is history.

#470 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There's another one that's near top of my list. Again, it had to do with the right place and time.
They played a small theatre the night after x-mas 1987. It was their very first hometown show after realeasing AFD. There is some bootleg quality recordings out there, but they are rough. The concert itself was great.

Ahhhh...Perkins Palace!!

My first and best concert was there when I was 16. MDC, DRI, and the Circle Jerks. DRI was insane. After the show I saw all the guys from Suicidal Tendancies walking sown the sidewalk. It was the "Rock against Reagan" tour. That was an essential part of being a punk rocker back then , you had to despise Reagan. Good Times!

#471 3 years ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

Ahhhh...Perkins Palace!!

I was talking to a friend last night that went with me to see Gary Myrick at Perkins 36 years ago. You know Bob, I'm sure. And we agreed the one problem with the place was it had seats. Some shows it is better not to sit.

At the GNR show we were informed they would only be selling beer on the balcony and that was the only place you could drink. So we secured front row center on the balcony and had probably some of the best seats in the house. It was pretty cool TSOL was the opening act that night.

#472 3 years ago

Alice Cooper.

Seen him 5 times, though the better two shows was when he opened for Dio Sabbath (with Queensryche), and his Theater of Death tour. Being born in '85, I unfortunately missed the chance to see him during what is considered his prime, but he's still putting on amazing shows.

#473 3 years ago

I only got to see Dio once. And at that time he was singing for a guy by the name of Ritchie Blackmore.

Rainbow_27091977_02_500b (resized).jpg

#474 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

A MUSE show is an experience. You really feel like part of the show.

Going to see Muse has been on my to do list for some time. Should have gone to this show. I'll just have to wait until next time I guess.

#476 3 years ago

Hothouse flowers - Irish Band. In the late 80's they were hailed as the 2nd coming of U2. They came through California for 3 gigs. I went to them all. I spoke with the guitarist at the first show and told him how their song "feel like living" helped my wife and I through my daughters brain tumor surgery 6 months earlier. He invited my family to join them at gig #2 for sound check (Slims in San Fran). It was an 21+ show so the kids couldn't see the actual show. We arrived at 5 pm and gave the band members sunflowers which they attached to their drum kits/mic stands. They played 4 songs for us ending with "feel like living" ...extremely special moment

Tragically Hip - Salt Lake City Olympics. We are hanging out at Canada house in downtown SLC. We find out that the Tragically Hip are playing a private show for the Canadian athletes hosted by Labatts (beer). I ask everyone HOW I can get tix. no luck....a few hours before the show, I concoct a story about how my imaginary friend works for Labatt and has secured a couple tix for my wife and I. Despite a raised eyebrow and another hour of waiting, the person in charge hooks us up. What a show. For those not in the know, they are an outrageous live band

Tragically Hip - Last month, after the lead singer, Gord Downie announced that he had terminal brain cancer, the band announced that they would do one final cross-Canada tour. We secured tix to fly up and see them at their first 3 shows in BC. Sold out arena shows. We had front row tix for the 1st show....I have never felt such love emanate from a crowd towards a band before in my life. Gord , who was visibly affected by his own brain surgery a few months earlier (a few lost lyrics), gave everything he had and the crowd gave it right back.

at the end of their second encore of their final show (they came out for a first-time-ever third encore), Gord loses it.....
http://www.cbc.ca/news/gord-downie-wipes-tears-from-his-eyes-in-the-middle-of-the-tragically-hip-s-grace-too-1.3729871

Roland

#477 3 years ago

It's easy to forget about the Hip up here for some reason.
They're almost more a part of every day life something you take for granted.
They will be sorely missed.

#478 3 years ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

My first festival aged 15, the whole thing blew my mind! So many highlights from that weekend.

That's gold baby I was there at reading. Foo fighters ruled

#479 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Going to see Muse has been on my to do list for some time. Should have gone to this show. I'll just have to wait until next time I guess.
» YouTube video

I've been a huge Muse fan since seeing them in 2002.
I somehow managed to win a competition a few years ago and saw them record this live with only about 20 other people then got to meet them after! Matt Bellamy is a lot shorter than you think.

#480 3 years ago

1996 Beck at the Metro in Chicago. Really small venue, I remember Beck taking requests for songs and when someone requested Satan Gave Me a Taco he pulled the guy on stage to utterly fail at singing it.

#481 3 years ago

311 always puts on a great show

#482 3 years ago

BlackSabbath (Ozzfest 2000) or Refused 2014

#483 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

First festival? I've got to go back to 1977 on that one. Ted Nugent, Foreigner, and REO Speedwagon opened for
Lynyrd Skynyrd on their Street Survivors tour at Anaheim Stadium. I went mainly to see Nugent, but when Skynyrd came out that place was rocking so hard the upper levels of the stadium were bouncing up and down several feet. I thought it might come down. I can't remember if I ever saw a crowd so emotional since then.
A few weeks later the band was involved in a fatal plane crash, and the rest as they say is history.

I only went to a couple of stadium shows:

Eagles, Heart, Little River Band in 1980 at Yale Bowl

Rolling Stones, Journey, George Thoroughgood in 1981 at JFK Stadium in Philly (Journey got booed off the stage after Steve Perry thanked the crowd for making Journey the #1 band in America)

The Who, The Clash, David Johannson in 1982 at Shea Stadium (My upper deck seat back was broken. I doubt anyone needed that nosebleed seat for any Mets games that year)

#484 3 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

IRolling Stones, Journey, George Thoroughgood in 1981 at JFK Stadium in Philly (Journey got booed off the stage after Steve Perry thanked the crowd for making Journey the #1 band in America)

+1 -
They were looking at possibly replacing Ronnie Wood with George Thorogood due to Ronnie's drug issues.

Glad they didn't, would hated to see the world's greatest 3-man quartet broken up-
George Thorogood & the Delaware destroyers.

#485 3 years ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

I've been a huge Muse fan since seeing them in 2002.
I somehow managed to win a competition a few years ago and saw them record this live with only about 20 other people then got to meet them after! Matt Bellamy is a lot shorter than you think.
» YouTube video

So how long before we see a Muse pinball machine? I think I could roll with that...

#486 3 years ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

WOW, I count at least 25 bands that I would love to see, and they were all at one festival, simply amazing. Lucky dog, going to be hard to beat that show ever. Definitely mind blowing.

#487 3 years ago

First concert i ever went to,
was with my dad back around 1969/1970 (in So Lake Tahoe).
Dad was mainly there for the gambling/card playing.
Show was
George Carlin (still in a suit) opening for
Tiny Tim (Tip Toe thru the Tulips)

#488 3 years ago

My first was DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.

homebase-51334fbe039a3 (resized).jpg

I thought I was cool, I was not.

#489 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just watched it again for the first time in 36 years. I'm glad somebody was actually filming that night.
» YouTube video

Metal Master's. - Testament; Motorhead; Priest; Black Sabbath (Dio).

1 month later
#490 3 years ago

Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper opened.
Van halen was a close second.

2 weeks later
#491 3 years ago

I've been to a ton of concerts at Irvine Meadows. Can't believe they are tearing it down.

http://www.ocweekly.com/music/irvine-meadows-says-its-final-goodbyes-before-getting-demolished-for-apartments-7565632

#492 3 years ago

I've been to more than 300 concerts in my lifetime and the concert that will always stick in my mind as the greatest concert ever was June 25th 1996 @ Tiger Stadium. It was KISS's first concert after reuniting with the original four members and the energy throughout the whole show was electric! I've never seen fans go completely crazy for 2+hours but the energy at the show was a rock and roll roargasm for 2+ hours.

You had to be there to really experience it in all it's glory. If my memory serves me correct I think it was the last event in Tiger Stadium and there were times during that show where it felt like the stadium was crumbling down around us. I've never seen more energy from the fans or a band than that night in Detroit! WHAT AN AMAZING SHOW!

#493 3 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

I've been to more than 300 concerts in my lifetime and the concert that will always stick in my mind as the greatest concert ever was June 25th 1996 @ Tiger Stadium. It was KISS's first concert after reuniting with the original four members and the energy throughout the whole show was electric! I've never seen fans go completely crazy for 2+hours but the energy at the show was a rock and roll roargasm for 2+ hours.
You had to be there to really experience it in all it's glory. If my memory serves me correct I think it was the last event in Tiger Stadium and there were times during that show where it felt like the stadium was crumbling down around us. I've never seen more energy from the fans or a band than that night in Detroit! WHAT AN AMAZING SHOW!

I was there too for that show! We went there without tickets and luckily, we found seats. The scalpers were very much incognito that night and I actually ran into a friend of mine all the way from Myrtle Beach who was there for the show. I just happened to be wearing his restaurant t-shirt that he gave years before, having no idea he would be there. He knew where the scalpers were and we got our seats. A very memorable show after such a long hiatus....now they have unfortunately overstayed their welcome.

As for other shows, I would have to say seeing Rush in Toronto for the Time Machine Tour was AMAZING. They played the Moving Pictures album in its entirety, and it was great to hear Camera Eye live again.

I think the best concert I am about to go to next year, will be the Head Full of Dreams Tour with Coldplay. And the one I wish I could have gone to without question, would be Deep Purple's Japan Leg in the early 70's when they recorded all those live albums. Every show was different because of their improvisation skills, and you can tell by the recording that the shows were incredibly intimate in spite of their heavy sound.

#494 3 years ago

Paul McCartney, though I recently snagged Roger Waters tickets so that experience may be eclipsed.

#495 3 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Paul McCartney, though I recently snagged Roger Waters tickets so that experience may be eclipsed.

I saw McCartney a couple of years ago and thought he was outstanding.

#496 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I've been to a ton of concerts at Irvine Meadows. Can't believe they are tearing it down.

I can believe it. I moved to south OC in the early 80s, and one thing at a time, they removed just about anything that was fun to do. It was almost unbelievable this place existed in the first place considering the location. I think Lion Country Safari was there first.

Anyway, that's one of the reasons I moved back north, as all they seem concerned with down there is how many more people they can pack in. Case in point, building more apartments on the site.

Irvine Meadows RIP.

#497 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think Lion Country Safari was there first.

Yep. Remember going there several times as a kid.

#498 3 years ago

That place was "safe". lol

#499 3 years ago

I saw some great shows there. My older brother took me to see Doobie Bros, and then Crosby Stills and Nash shortly after David got his new liver. He looked happy to be there. Great show. Only missed one I was going to. The unused ticket.

Bring in the bulldozers!

SCAN0039 (resized).JPG

#500 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I can believe it. I moved to south OC in the early 80s, and one thing at a time, they removed just about anything that was fun to do. It was almost unbelievable this place existed in the first place considering the location. I think Lion Country Safari was there first.
Anyway, that's one of the reasons I moved back north, as all they seem concerned with down there is how many more people they can pack in. Case in point, building more apartments on the site.
Irvine Meadows RIP.
» YouTube video

Sad Wings Of Destiny as well..Still gives me goosebumps to listen to that intro riff.
Glen & KK make it look effortless...Saw them in 2004 I think in Tampa FL . They opened with Electric Eye.

Queensryche opened for them...I dream in Infrared..Another classic.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
$ 26.50
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 34.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
€ 4.20
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 34.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 109.99
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 254.99
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 125.00
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 17.00
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside