2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 704 posts
  • 250 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by BigT
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 106 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4047 (resized).JPG
IMG_4048 (resized).JPG
IMG_1823 (resized).JPG
IMG_1822 (resized).JPG
Jon Anderson (resized).jpg
The-Adolescents-Musink-2018-www.loyalphoto.com-meg-burcina_-8 (resized).jpg
f8fc730eabfcf3fe8b0e832faf853c39--ontario-california-california-history (resized).jpg
C4EB905B-6279-47F5-B147-8CEFA7D2AE2B (resized).jpeg
20171006_220806 (resized).jpg
20171006_222020 (resized).jpg
s-l225 (resized).jpg
MPW-16403 (resized).jpg
both (resized).png
Nirvana (resized).jpg
Axis - It's A Circus World (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 15.
#1 2 years ago

I just watched it again for the first time in 36 years. I'm glad somebody was actually filming that night.

#2 2 years ago

No slight against Devo, but if that's the best concert you ever saw, you don't get out very often.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

No slight against Devo, but if that's the best concert you ever saw, you don't get out very often.

Actually I have been to probably hundreds of shows, the first of which was Led Zeppelin in 1977.

This particular Devo show was simply the right place and time. The sound quality was excellent too. Much better than this recording. But remember this is a bootleg.

I could go on and list many epic shows, but for some reason this one stood out at the time as being very special.

#4 2 years ago

Guns n Roses and Paul McCarney stick out to me.

Aerosmith, ACDC, the Rolling Stones, Garth Brooks, Paige and Plant, Tom Petty, John Fogerty, the White Stripes, and Foo Fighters were great too. I saw Bryan Adams by himself do an acoustic show in a small club in Memphis...yes I like Bryan Adams...not sure I'm proud of that, but the show was great.

#5 2 years ago

Yes, it was even more memorable than this one.

#6 2 years ago

The Kingsmen and Gold City.

#7 2 years ago

Bob Dylan is terrible live at this point, but there are always a couple of great moments in his shows for me. I'm a huge Dylan Fan, but I didn't get to see him live until about 2007.

#8 2 years ago

Boots Randolph in a smoky little Nashville night club in the 90s, Mike Snider and Ronnie Milsap in Opryland theme park

#9 2 years ago

I've been fortunate to have seen so many through the years.

If I had to pick one it would be the Rolling Stones 1994 Voo Doo Lounge tour in December at the Minneapolis Metrodome.

LTG : )

#10 2 years ago

There's another one that's near top of my list. Again, it had to do with the right place and time.

They played a small theatre the night after x-mas 1987. It was their very first hometown show after realeasing AFD. There is some bootleg quality recordings out there, but they are rough. The concert itself was great.

s-l1600_(resized).jpg

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If I had to pick one it would be the Rolling Stones 1994 Voo Doo Lounge tour in December at the Minneapolis Metrodome.

I was lucky that I got to see the Stones once and it was a great show. Some Girls tour at Anaheim Stadium in 1978. Peter Tosh and The Outlaws opened.

At one point during the show somebody threw a shoe at Mick Jagger and he said "I want all your shoes!"

I kept mine on. But I did have to duck. Shoes flying everywhere.

ShoesOnstage1978_(resized).png

#12 2 years ago

2003 Metallica's summer sanitarium tour in washington, dc. To a 18 year old seeing them for the first time my neck needed a week to recover.

#13 2 years ago

Okay, I'll play:

For me, it's a tie separated by 35 years. Queen in 1980 at Madison Square Garden, and Jeff Lynne's ELO at Irving Plaza just last November. It was incredible to be among only about 300 fans and see the guy for the first time in 30 years from only ten feet away....

...which is why I'm seeing him at the Hollywood Bowl and Radio City next month.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Queen in 1980 at Madison Square Garden

I bet that was awesome. I can only imagine.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Queen in 1980 at Madison Square Garden

I saw them on that same tour and it was awesome. The Blasters opened for them.

http://www.queenconcerts.com/detail/live/476/queen-live-08-07-1980-forum-inglewood-california-usa.html

The ticket stub says $8.75 lol. Looks like it was two weeks before that Devo show.

#16 2 years ago

I went to see Dave Matthews Band for the first time a month ago. The quality of sound and the talent of the band was great. There are some great musicians in that band. They played for 3 hours straight and came back for an encore of 3 songs. I don't know how many people fit in Deer Creek but there were a lot.

IMG_0173[1]_(resized).JPG

IMG_0174[1]_(resized).JPG

#17 2 years ago

Many years ago....
1st Place: Payola$, Brian Adams, & Supertramp. 1 concert, started at 6PM went until after midnight.
2nd Place: The Who.
3rd Place: The Rolling Stones.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There's another one that's near top of my list. Again, it had to do with the right place and time.
They played a small theatre the night after x-mas 1987. It was their very first hometown show after realeasing AFD. There is some bootleg quality recordings out there, but they are rough. The concert itself was great.

I would have loved to see them back then. That would have been amazing.

#19 2 years ago

I will go with Rush. Watching only 3 guys put out that kind of sound live with their technically ability is incredible to me.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I bet that was awesome. I can only imagine.

Quoted from o-din:

I saw them on that same tour and it was awesome. The Blasters opened for them.
http://www.queenconcerts.com/detail/live/476/queen-live-08-07-1980-forum-inglewood-california-usa.html
The ticket stub says $8.75 lol. Looks like it was two weeks before that Devo show.

True story: At the 1982 tour (with Billy Squier), I was hanging on the edge of the stage (back then, you could do that before assholes started rushing the stage). Freddie came out for an encore of Another One Bites the Dust wearing a feathered coat made of silk arrows. He held out the coat right toward me. I said fuck the coat and grabbed his arm. When he walked away, I was staring at his sweat on my hand in awe, then turned to my friend and the people around me, all of whom had the silk arrows which you could pick off his coat as a souvenir.

Which begs the question: Which is better? Grabbing his arm? Or getting a silk arrow? (I bet my friend lost his ... he was a bit of a dumbass.)

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Which begs the question: Which is better? Grabbing his arm? Or getting a silk arrow?

If you met him after the show you'd be getting "the Slik Arrow" for sure.

rd

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

If you met him after the show you'd be getting "the Slik Arrow" for sure.
rd

Yeah...and I definitely would have been given something to take home.

#23 2 years ago

Seen some great shows.

Probably the best of all was Skid Row, playing in front of 1500 at Logan Campbell Centre, Auckland, 1990. They'd just released their first album, and they were young kids let loose on the world. They just went nuts for 1 1/2 hours. Awesome.

And I've told the story before about Guns n Roses at the Supertop (a large circus tent) just after AFD came out, but before Sweet Child hit big. They were out of control. Great gig.

rd

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I would have loved to see them back then. That would have been amazing.

It really was. TSOL opened for GnR that night too. Perkins Palace was the perfect venue. It opened in the 20s, but during the 80s we saw several shows there including one in one of the photos below. I heard it closed down in the early 90s. Pre internet pics are scarce.

Raymond_Theatre_Pasadena_1922_(resized).jpg
download_(resized).jpg
TheJamConcertatPerkinsPalace_(resized).jpg

#25 2 years ago

Which one of those cars was yours, O-din?

rd

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Which one of those cars was yours, O-din?

There were about 200 Vespa scooters lined up outside the place for that Jam concert. Mod city. I drove the Galaxie 500 that night.

Oh, you mean which Model T? lol.

#27 2 years ago

Pink Floyd Division Bell tour 1994 at Soldier field

#28 2 years ago

Bad Boy Bill

Maybe it was the 7 double stacked Mitsubishi pills I ate

To this day if I stare at the carpet long enough it moves a little & I hear techno music

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

To this day if I stare at the carpet long enough it moves a little & I hear techno music

Could be why Devo was the best show I ever saw?

images_(resized).jpg

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Could be why Devo was the best show I ever saw?

Haha. I've never gone to a concert drunk/wasted. I want to see the musos do their thing.

Concerts are fu**ing expensive. I want to enjoy it. I can get drunk at home for free.

rd

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I've never gone to a concert drunk/wasted.

Me neither. I'd hate to let the music distort my buzz.

#32 2 years ago

Vegoose 2007

image_(resized).jpeg

image.jpeg

#33 2 years ago

Now that looks like quite the lineup.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Haha. I've never gone to a concert drunk/wasted. I want to see the musos do their thing.
Concerts are fu**ing expensive. I want to enjoy it. I can get drunk at home for free.
rd

???? I thought it was a requirement.

Best show? I like the small venues.

George Thorogood & the Delaware destroyers @ the Aladdin theater in Portland Oregon, Sept 29, 2012.
- Capacity, 620.
Festival seating & we arrived fairly late, but somehow we ended up standing center front row, at the stage. When I say at the stage, I mean we had our beers sitting on the stage. Wow, I have been to a lot of shows but that was fantastic. Had to cover my beverage so George wouldn't sweat in it.

Runner up - Dick Dale @ Squirrels tavern 2012 - Capacity 150. The KING of surf guitar. Again front row seats. Wow, he was 75 years old then & still rocked heavily. Don't miss a chance to see him live, who knows how much longer he will be able to perform. O-din, he does a lot of shows down your way.

#35 2 years ago

None of the bands I'm into are incredibly popular, so I haven't been to any of the massive outdoor expensive shows.

Really any Streetlight Manifesto show would be my favorite, they're shows have so much energy, and it's just a barrage of music, like they don't stop or stall or anything (besides a few quick water breaks between songs every now and then).

(not my recording and not the best sound quality, but it'll do the job)

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Seen some great shows.
Probably the best of all was Skid Row, playing in front of 1500 at Logan Campbell Centre, Auckland, 1990. They'd just released their first album, and they were young kids let loose on the world. They just went nuts for 1 1/2 hours. Awesome.

My band played with Skid Row when we were mistakenly booked at a heavy metal club in Perth Amboy, NJ just before they hit it big. We were warming up for them and were in the dressing room with them after. Sebastian Bach was pawing some girl's tits and she kept slapping his hand away. I thought they were total scumbags and Bach was a super tool. Then their first album came out and I couldn't believe they hit it big. And I really liked a few of their songs. Never judge a book by its cover, I guess...

#37 2 years ago

--DEMIRICOUS reunion show-Indy-last month (FUCKING RAAAGER)
--Grateful Dead-Memphis-1995
--Rage Against the Machine/Wu-Tang-Noblesville, IN-1997
--Slayer-pick one of 7
--Skeletonwitch-final show w Chance on screams(saw with Pinsider Reno Dakota[and it was fucking awesome brough !])-St. Louie-2014
--Neil Diamond-in Carolina of course-2001 (?)
--and on and on

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

--DEMIRICOUS reunion show-Indy-last month (FUCKING RAAAGER)
--Grateful Dead-Memphis-1995
--Rage Against the Machine/Wu-Tang-Noblesville, IN-1997
--Slayer-pick one of 7
--Skeletonwitch-final show w Chance on screams(saw with Pinsider Reno Dakota)-St. Louie-2014
--Neil Diamond-in Carolina of course-2001 (?)
--and on and on

This is why you're awesome (among other reasons): You can actually list Slayer and Neil Diamond in the same list, and it doesn't make you any less of a man.

#39 2 years ago

Flattery will get you everywhere stud muffin.

#40 2 years ago

Neil Diamond is a goddamn BOSS !

#41 2 years ago

My first concert. ACDC on November 29, 1981 in Cleveland, OH. It was the 15th concert of the For Those About to Rock tour. Just plain awesome.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Pink Floyd Division Bell tour 1994 at Soldier field

Saw that one at Camp Randal in Madison. Pouring rain, but the place was still packed. Good times.

I'm odd, but I think I might still like Weird Al in concert best though. That guy puts on a performance.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

My first concert. ACDC on November 29, 1981 in Cleveland, OH. It was the 15th concert of the For Those About to Rock tour. Just plain awesome.

What venue?

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

. I thought they were total scumbags and Bach was a super tool

No doubt! He would have been very young then, maybe 17-18?

That's probably what all 18 year old rock stars are doing lol

rd

#45 2 years ago

Richfield Coliseum.

Saw BöC at Blossom Music Center in around 82 or so.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Neil is cool.

One of the best stadium concerts I've ever seen was Robbie Williams who is an English pop star. I don't think he has had much success in the USA, but in the 2000s he was one of the biggest "pop" stars in the world. He assembled this absolutely kick ass band of mega musicians and played a great show.

Check out the crowd at this show ...

rd

#47 2 years ago

Talking of Neil Diamond, NZs own Neil Diamond is Wayne Anderson. Wayne is Nimblepins favorite musical artist.

Here you can see Wayne doing an intimate gig in my apartment last New Years Eve.

Go Wayne Go!

rd

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I threw my panties at him!

#49 2 years ago

I saw those guys that sang that song...they rocked

#50 2 years ago

Way too many shows to pick the best, but I'd have to say either Megadeth or Metallica right here at Red Rocks. Clash of the Titans also at Red Rocks was very memorable. Oh yeah Iron Maiden and Accept at Red Rocks was great too. You name a heavy metal band and I've probably seen em.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 139.00
$ 40.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 11.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 200.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
£ 55.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 275.00
$ 5.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 25.00
$ 49.00
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 32.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside