New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 180187)

Best Color DMD choice for pins with movie clips?

By NorCalRealtor

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by gripwhip
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Color DMD option looks best in pins with movie clips?”

• LCD 20 votes
    91%
  • LED 2 votes
    9%

(22 votes)

#1 3 years ago

I love how the new LED one looks in the 90's pins. Sold on that.

I don't know which one, LED or LCD, would look best in a Stern with movie clips (Iron Man, Spider Man, Avatar, Batman, etc).

Who has tried or seen the new LED version in these titles? What did you think?

My gut says get the LED version based on vibrance and lower price, but I haven't seen one in person yet in a pin with movie clips.

#2 3 years ago

In my experience dots xl on the lcd really helped them look better.......

#3 3 years ago

In my opinion if it has movie clips it ain't worth putting a color dmd in it, they all look like s--t. Stern should be ashamed for continuing to put movie clips in the machines, their factory dmd's look like crap.

#4 3 years ago

Just compared the Sigma LCD vs. Sigma LED in my Stern Indiana Jones. The movie clips definitely look better with the LCD.

#5 3 years ago

The feedback is nearly unanimous. Very helpful! I will go with the LCD.

#6 3 years ago

I pulled my color lcd out of my SM Classic,nothing there for me and I love these things.i just hate those movie clips used in some sterns games,I,don't believe led would be any better

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I pulled my color lcd out of my SM Classic,nothing there for me and I love these things.i just hate those movie clips used in some sterns games,I,don't believe led would be any better

I agree custom dots are awlays better, but I thought the Color DMD promo videos for IM and SM looked great.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from tomtest:

In my opinion if it has movie clips it ain't worth putting a color dmd in it, they all look like s--t. Stern should be ashamed for continuing to put movie clips in the machines, their factory dmd's look like crap.

Whaaaaaaat?! Color DMD makes those mess of dots actually discernible. They really make the movie clips much easier to pick out. I hate the movies converted to dots too, but they really do get elevated quite a bit by the Color DMD treatment.

#9 3 years ago

Depends on the game. I think LED in Tron looks far superior than LCD. However, I have LCD (DotsXL) in Iron Man and am very happy with it.

#10 3 years ago

I for one don't have any nostalgia to the "dots" approach. As soon as the HD Upscale mode was introduced, I put ColorDMD's in all my games. I don't even try the other modes. I think colorized regular dots (both LED and LCD), DotsXL, etc..etc... look drastically inferior in my humble opinion but hey, I'm a simple man with simple pleasures I don't have a wide variety of games, but HD Upscale mode looks glorious in LOTR, MM, TZ and TSPP. I just purchased a Spider-Man, and I didn't even think twice about which panel to put in. It'll be an LCD with HD Upscale mode (when the game arrives in 2 weeks).

#11 3 years ago

Oh, and to answer the original question, I think that the LCD looks a bit better simply because you can eliminate some of the black space with Dots XL (my preferred mode) and it really goes a long way towards clearing up those images. The LED displays look fantastic, but I would probably prefer those on games that are light on the video usage. Ghostbusters might be one where I would prefer LED, but who knows when that will happen.

Man, TWD is going to be an absolute showpiece for the platform though. I still can't believe how amazing the dots are on that game.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from drshaw:

I for one don't have any nostalgia to the "dots" approach. As soon as the HD Upscale mode was introduced, I put ColorDMD's in all my games. I don't even try the other modes.

My condolences.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

My condolences.

Haha I just think the HD Upscale looks so good and crisp. I had the Sigma display in my TZ for a long time, set to white until it was fully colorized. just got used to it and switching between my other machines (with stock DMDs) was so much worse. To be fair, I did in fact try dot mode and dotXL mode when I got the display for MM, but it was just a no brainer to me compared to HD upscale. So yeah now, I didn't even try the other modes on LOTR and Simpsons. I have it set to HD single color mode on my WCS.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from drshaw:

To be fair, I did in fact try dot mode and dotXL mode when I got the display for MM, but it was just a no brainer to me compared to HD upscale

I agree it's a no brainer. You have to have no brain to think the art looks better all smeared and jagged vs. Dots XL. "HD" isn't HD. HD is smeared pixel art.

1 week later
#15 3 years ago

HiRes or Scan (I forget which) for me, I think the dots on IM, SM with monochrome display were terrible. Now at least I can see what's being displayed instead of just some orange smudge.

#16 3 years ago

I have IM on LCD Dots XL and it looks great. I think ones with movie clips look better with Dots, so either LCD or LED work. The LED dots are really bright. It looks great on Tron and matches the theme. I think I have the same setup and agree with Rarehero.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Suffield, CT
$ 26.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 14.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside