(Topic ID: 278014)

Best code of Stern spike 2?

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best code of Stern spike 2?”

• BM66 47 votes
      22%
    • SW 37 votes
      17%
    • DP 13 votes
      6%
    • JP2 54 votes
      25%
    • Elvira 28 votes
      13%
    • GotG 1 vote
    • Maiden 24 votes
      11%
    • BKSOR 0 votes
    • Stranger Things 6 votes
      3%
    • TMNT 4 votes
      2%
    • Aerosmith 2 votes
      1%
    • Beatles 0 votes

(216 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I’m calling all code junkies.

What has the best, deepest, most interesting or funnest code?

I’m limiting this to LCD stern pins BM66 to present.

#7 3 years ago

I love SW, at first I thought it was too complicated but now I’m loving it.

I really like Elvira except those floating heads.

I don’t really understand JP to be honest.

I thought people would say BM66 hands down? That’s supposed to be crazy good but I don’t have much time on this machine either.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Batman 66. Probably Elvira when it's done.
    There's just so much stuff to do and it's all well presented.

I want to get BM66 but have played it on location and the turntable was not great and the shots were not silky smooth. Maybe it's a game that the code overcomes the hit or miss layout?

#22 3 years ago

Eskaybee.

I notice a lot of people don’t love SW although it’s a killer theme, do you think it’s just not everyone’s cup of tea or do you think it’s too ‘extra’ or what?

I know the bonus X shots are something people complain about but to me once I got the hang of them it’s great to hit an important shot at 30 or 40x is a rush.

SW would still be as great to me without the bonus X rules, but after getting the feel for them I can’t imagine the game without.

I don’t want every pin to have crazy 40x multipliers but it’s good for me having one in a large collection it’s something different and over the top.

#32 3 years ago

BM66 the turntable and spinning car and lock when I’ve played felt like half the time it works fine half the time it’s not.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

I love SW, and was so close to picking it, but the repetitiveness of the video mode is what keeps it from getting my vote. A really good game can result in 3-4 times through the video mode (I have had 5 a few times and even 6 once..ugg), and that's just way too much. A video mode should be once per game...MAYBE twice in an awesome game. You could also argue that Light Saber Duel "jail" can hold it down a bit, but it's such a great mode and if you hit your shots, that's a non-issue. Some priority tweaks and better fanfare for finishing a planet mode would put it over the top. Other than those few things, it's close to perfect.
    Stranger Things is also a real competitor now. Lots of ways to attack that game, and the modes are varied, thematic, and fun. Between the season modes, Demogorgan modes, and Demodog modes there is a ton of variety and the entire playfield is important. The way the modes build to fantastic mini-wizard mode "check points" is really great and gives a nice sense of accomplishment, even if you do not get super deep. I also love the atmosphere this game creates...great use of the assets they were able to get. Sure, the soundtrack is lacking the music the show is known for, but for the most part the game shoots for the spookier side of the theme, and to me the music would stick out a bit if it was there. Plus, there is always the Cleland code for those that would like to change that up. I'd like to see slightly deeper scoring strategy in many of the modes to really put this game over the top. As it is, some of the modes are simply "hit these few shots, you will get this many points for each". They are still fun and unique, but if they could be expanded to give us ways to boost the points, that would be awesome. Some of the modes have this, some do not. I hope to see these continue to develop a bit, but even as-is, this is very good code. Probably Lonnie's best in my opinion.
    Deadpool definitely gets an honorable mention. The depth feels perfect for the game, and everything is just plain fun. Lots of variety and stuff to do, even if on the surface it looks fairly limited with "only" three battles. Very unique feel and definitely captures the feel of a big comic book adventure and the fights along the way. Top notch A/V assets.
    JP is just too repetitive to get my vote, at least in the paddocks, and they are just not that exciting. Sure...the dinosaurs act differently, but does that REALLY change how you play them? Not really, at least for the average player. The T-Rex modes are by far the best part about that game. If the rest of the modes lived up to that level of excitement it would be an easy win, but they don't. The control room modes fall somewhere between. Decent variety, but not particularly memorable or exciting. I gave it an honest try...and it's a solid game all around, but it just doesn't pull me in as much as I want it to.
    Batman 66 gets my vote. It doesn't have the adrenaline pumping excitement that I usually crave in a game, but the theme is integrated amazingly and is just so damn fun. The depth and breadth are staggering, and there are so many ways to play the game. Go for the major villains and blaze towards Villain Escape quickly? Go deep through each stage of the major villains? Change things up with the flipper press selections at the beginning of the game so you can play through a second, entirely different episode set for each villain? Go for minor villains...which is basically an entire game worth of depth by themselves? So many combinations and strategies to choose from with the minors, culminating in a choice of three very fun wizard modes. Or screw all the modes and see how crazy high you can build up your Batphone hurry-up...a very dangerous and addicting distraction that can blow up a score. Or mix and match any of the above in creative ways. Maybe finish Mr Freeze to kill the timers and then try to build up an insane Villain Escape jackpot value. So many ways to go. Yes...there is a specific combination of minor villains which is the known way to best blow up the machine if you are only looking for the highest scores, but like most things it is easier said than done. Hopefully Lyman will address this "exploit" at some point, but it certainly doesn't take away from all the choices, directions, and strategies that this game offers. No matter how you feel about how it shoots, it's hard to argue the quality of the code in Batman 66.
    No matter what your preference, I think most of us would have to agree that we are in an era of some pretty amazing code overall. Sure, B/W games get most of the credit as the best machines made, but the depth of even the deepest B/W game has been eclipsed by most modern machines. We are to the point that when a machine with more simple code is released (say Munsters), it gets torn apart over it...even though it is every bit as deep as most of those B/W games that so many rave about.

Thanks for the excellent post.

I agree that the video mode in SW should not be played more than 1-2 times a game. Wish there was a menu option that could disable it or limit the number of times you can play it.

BM66 really sounds like what I’m looking for, think I’m going to try it again on location.

What’s your feeling on Maiden code?

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

RAI -
    Curious why you ended up going premium over the pro? I never liked the premium on location, and while I didn’t understand the rules at the time, I always had fun on the pro. Then, after owning the pro for a year or more, i started playing an LE on location and loved it. Not enough to sell my pro and upgrade to a premium, however, now that i say that, I did sell my pro nearly a year ago and do contemplate buying SW back and going with the SW premium comic instead of a pro. But, there’s so many games out there now that I haven’t played that every time i think about buying an SW premium, I get drawn to other shiny things lol. Rough world we live in

I got SW premium for the hyper loop. Many times I’m in for the pro because I think play faster, I have TWD and Met pro and I hear GoT pro is the way to go. But some games have a killer features like maybe GB premium with under PF ramp and magna slings that are rare to be seen in other games but they need to be fun not just something for the sake of being something like the moving ramp in XMLE.

Anyway initially when I played SW only played the premium on location and a few times the hyper loop wasn’t working like it would fall off the loop. But when it was working tho that was my most exciting thing ever, it was like the ring shot in LotR when the magnet holds the ball and shoots it around to the ramp. That’s the thing I love about pinball.

I was going to buy the pro and played a bit on location but something was missing because I was used to the hyper loop because I was initiated on the premium from all my previous times playing. I was hooked and decided on the comic premium and my loop is perfect no problems and hitting the hyper loop hurry up or multi ball is my happy place. Doesn’t even matter if I’m having a bad game, I just want to see the ball shooting around the loop.

I really love the comic pro art better because it’s the space ships, I think I like inanimate art better than characters. And the size aspect of the cabinet art is not the best on the premium but the art looks better in person anyway and I like the translight art on the premium too.

I really haven’t got too far on SW yet not even destroying the Death Star but been close. I’m looking forward to that.

What is the light saber battle road block? I’ve got to that mode but not completed it. I’m not that great so need practice but wanted to understand how that mode locks you out of the progression?

#55 3 years ago

I’m interested to see Jurassic Park is rated the highest for code. I played it some on location but not really understanding the rules. It didn’t really wow me but maybe because I’m still confused.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from Macca101010:

BM66 wins hands down for me. EHOH is catching up though.....hey i'm a Lyman fan

I can see by your collection.

I’m watching the videos on BM66, supposedly Stern is making a small batch of new Catwoman versions in November. Thinking maybe to grab one. However I was not a huge fan of the turntable mechanism, is this a fun pin to shoot or is it more about the code and you have to put up with the layout and mechanics?

https://www.gameroom-goodies.com/batman-66-premium-edition-pinball-machine/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk7DUkryE7AIVyZ-zCh0PkgrBEAQYASABEgLZuvD_BwE

I had EHOH temporarily was fun but the jokes get old after a while.

#62 3 years ago

I’m ok that SW doesn’t have dolls and action figures and At-At walkers covering the PF. To me there’s so much stuff in the code, video clips that is fine with the Death Star and the Falcon.

7 months later
    #70 2 years ago
    Quoted from tilt-master:

JP's coding is simply amazing. I recently watched Elwin on Deadflip review the ruleset just to catch up on some of the rules I've forgotten......he had mentioned a potential 4th control room mode that I don't believe is in the game as of the last release. Hopefully an update is in our immediate future to add this and other pieces he intended.

I’ll need to watch this.

1 month later
    #76 2 years ago

#77 2 years ago

Since I started this thread have bought JP premium. Initially I was puzzled didn’t understand the game but after much study I love the code.

I’m debating to buy BM66 next, things I love are
    1) the commissioner Gordon multiplier it’s kind of obscure and unnecessary but it’s a fun risk reward.
    2) the minor villain modes (fun to try and complete a few), nice that you can switch TV channel and get to experience one or other of a stacked mode. Fun that it’s got a few different mini wizard modes that can be reached but not see very often.
    3) there are two different major Villian modes 8 total and each has different levels. I realize they might not be completely different but they have different shots and video call outs etc.

If I get BM66 it’ll be along with JP and SW as pins I didn’t like at first because were a bit confusing but once I learn the rules they all shine.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-code-of-stern-spike-2?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.