(Topic ID: 278014)

Best code of Stern spike 2?

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best code of Stern spike 2?”

• BM66 47 votes
      22%
    • SW 37 votes
      17%
    • DP 13 votes
      6%
    • JP2 54 votes
      25%
    • Elvira 28 votes
      13%
    • GotG 1 vote
    • Maiden 24 votes
      11%
    • BKSOR 0 votes
    • Stranger Things 6 votes
      3%
    • TMNT 4 votes
      2%
    • Aerosmith 2 votes
      1%
    • Beatles 0 votes

(216 votes)

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

I’m calling all code junkies.

What has the best, deepest, most interesting or funnest code?

I’m limiting this to LCD stern pins BM66 to present.

#4 3 years ago

JP and EHOH

#5 3 years ago

Star Wars. Amazing ruleset.

#7 3 years ago

I love SW, at first I thought it was too complicated but now I’m loving it.

I really like Elvira except those floating heads.

I don’t really understand JP to be honest.

I thought people would say BM66 hands down? That’s supposed to be crazy good but I don’t have much time on this machine either.

#8 3 years ago

I haven’t played all of these games but what I have kind of gathered...

JPs is very elegant and unique with the board game progression through the map with the Jeep as your navigation tool.

Star Wars seems to have the deepest code in terms of complex scoring options with crazy multiplier strategies.

BM66 and Elvira seem to have the best use of assets and asset integration into the code.

#9 3 years ago

Recently got SW and BM66. BM66 is much more fun to me. SW has interesting gimmicks.

#11 3 years ago

Bm66 for me.

#12 3 years ago

EHoH and it’s still not complete.

#13 3 years ago

Batman 66. Probably Elvira when it's done.

There's just so much stuff to do and it's all well presented.

#14 3 years ago

JP/EHOH have great rules but STH is gaining ground on them and might pass them once it’s complete.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Batman 66. Probably Elvira when it's done.
    There's just so much stuff to do and it's all well presented.

I want to get BM66 but have played it on location and the turntable was not great and the shots were not silky smooth. Maybe it's a game that the code overcomes the hit or miss layout?

#16 3 years ago

Maiden.

#17 3 years ago

I don't like picking favorites, but quite honestly, I think stern has been pumping out great games every year. They're all good. It's also hard to compare to very different types of code, simply because...well, they're different. A lot of these answers are subjective.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I want to get BM66 but have played it on location and the turntable was not great and the shots were not silky smooth. Maybe it's a game that the code overcomes the hit or miss layout?

Yeah, the layout is sorta whatever. It's why I think Elvira will be better when it's done. It's a much better shooter

#20 3 years ago

I might be in the minority but I love Deadpool’s code.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ericc123:

I might be in the minority but I love Deadpool’s code.

Deadpool has solid code. From the sheer # of call outs in the game, to how they’re implemented, to the use of music, the lighting show, rules to layout, it’s extremely well done. However, SW still gets my vote for 2 reasons - DP doesn’t have high score achievement tables and the mini modes can block you out of a lot of the major modes.

#22 3 years ago

Eskaybee.

I notice a lot of people don’t love SW although it’s a killer theme, do you think it’s just not everyone’s cup of tea or do you think it’s too ‘extra’ or what?

I know the bonus X shots are something people complain about but to me once I got the hang of them it’s great to hit an important shot at 30 or 40x is a rush.

SW would still be as great to me without the bonus X rules, but after getting the feel for them I can’t imagine the game without.

I don’t want every pin to have crazy 40x multipliers but it’s good for me having one in a large collection it’s something different and over the top.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’ve played BM66 quite a bit. It’s a good pin, but I do agree it’s a bit clunky which, in my opinion, detracts a bit from its overall enjoyment level. When people talk it up, I do think a lot of that has to do with the code because I don’t think it hits on all cylinders so to speak.

#24 3 years ago

Star Wars is my #1. JP and Batman 66 are my 2 and 3.

#25 3 years ago

I have a B66LE!! Its not clunky at all!!Every time I play,I find something new I never saw before! With all the "minor" villains,there are so many combos to go thru,I haven't herd from any owner that they have seen them all!! My DPLE is also a close second!!

#26 3 years ago

That list is too big.
    Maiden, JP2, Dp and SW are all great deep games. SW cause of theme wins top prize 4 me.

Quoted from hawkmoon:

I have a B66LE!! Its not clunky at all!!

Bad players use the term clunky. I've yet to play a clunky pin, I've played some pins with tight shots that took some practice to master, otherwise its an excuse.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I notice a lot of people don’t love SW although it’s a killer theme

That has to do with the pinheads who need the "World under glass" look otherwise is not worth it, they go in biased and will never like it due to the lack of child like toys all over the PF. It works in reverse as well, if its loaded with crap and colorful lights but gameplay is lacking its a masterpiece. That pin oozing SW's from the sound to the clips to the modes, and damn fun to shoot. Its the only one that I still have and just can't sell, with the comic art I really have my first keeper after 100 plus pins coming in and out.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Bad players use the term clunky.

I completely disagree. Sometimes games are clunky, sometimes they are not. I used the term clunky and I’m certainly not a bad player. Check out some of my scores. Plus, I own a Rob Zombie which many feel is a very difficult shooter. I don’t have any issues making the shots and have some long ball times.

Generalizations are always a bit dangerous.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I completely disagree. Sometimes games are clunky

What r some clunky games in ur opinion? Maybe I just haven't played that particular pin yet.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

What r some clunky games in ur opinion? Maybe I just haven't played that particular pin yet.

Well, for one, B66. Call it clunky or whatever term you want, but it’s not as smooth a shooter as most other Stern pins that have come out the last few years. Maybe your using clunky in a more literal sense and maybe it’s just relative, but I don’t think it shoots as well as a lot of other games. Just my opinion. You can certainly disagree.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

How about WOZ? Again, clunky, in my opinion, doesn’t necessarily mean bad. It just means that it’s not a smooth shooter with more stop and go shots.

#32 3 years ago

BM66 the turntable and spinning car and lock when I’ve played felt like half the time it works fine half the time it’s not.

#33 3 years ago

It's really just the orbit shot to the rear saucer that feels bad on Batman 66. It can be a bit rattly and sometimes a clean shot bounces out of the saucer.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

but it’s not as smooth a shooter as most other Stern pins that have come out the last few years.

Quoted from Krupps4:

How about WOZ? Again, clunky, in my opinion

Yeah I guess we perceive the term "clunky" differently

WOZ? feels that way cause everything is too close to everything else.

BM66? not being as smooth as others pins doesn't mean its "clunky"

Ok who gives a shit, now I'm debating the definition of clunky and I'm not even drinking.
    Good day sir.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

Well, for one, B66. Call it clunky or whatever term you want, but it’s not as smooth a shooter as most other Stern pins that have come out the last few years. Maybe your using clunky in a more literal sense and maybe it’s just relative, but I don’t think it shoots as well as a lot of other games. Just my opinion. You can certainly disagree.

Yeah, BM66 is a little clunky. Clunky doesn't mean bad it means there's a shot that can rattle out even when you hit it or a post where a ramp usually goes.

LotR is a little clunky but that doesn't mean bad.

#36 3 years ago

Oh and a poorly setup Deadpool is clunky. Or Avengers 2012. A few Gomez games actually...

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Good day sir.

It’s been a pleasure! Maybe our exchange would have been more spirited if it was later in the day, beers in hand. Have a great day as well.

#38 3 years ago

Clunky to me is where the ball does not often follow a smooth path and crashes into a lot of posts and things that don't directly interact with the ball like targets. Sometimes you get lucky with ball bouncing into scoop on accident and sometimes you get unlucky where ball rattles out of clean shot. It's part of pinball but games like BM66 and DP definitely have more of it.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

It’s been a pleasure! Maybe our exchange would have been more spirited if it was later in the day, beers in hand. Have a great day as well.

Alright lets meet up here around 7pm or so. Remember "clunky".

#40 3 years ago

Uh Gentlemen.....the question posed by the OP was best code of Spike 2, levels of clunky-ness was not.....

#41 3 years ago

I love SW, and was so close to picking it, but the repetitiveness of the video mode is what keeps it from getting my vote. A really good game can result in 3-4 times through the video mode (I have had 5 a few times and even 6 once..ugg), and that's just way too much. A video mode should be once per game...MAYBE twice in an awesome game. You could also argue that Light Saber Duel "jail" can hold it down a bit, but it's such a great mode and if you hit your shots, that's a non-issue. Some priority tweaks and better fanfare for finishing a planet mode would put it over the top. Other than those few things, it's close to perfect.

Stranger Things is also a real competitor now. Lots of ways to attack that game, and the modes are varied, thematic, and fun. Between the season modes, Demogorgan modes, and Demodog modes there is a ton of variety and the entire playfield is important. The way the modes build to fantastic mini-wizard mode "check points" is really great and gives a nice sense of accomplishment, even if you do not get super deep. I also love the atmosphere this game creates...great use of the assets they were able to get. Sure, the soundtrack is lacking the music the show is known for, but for the most part the game shoots for the spookier side of the theme, and to me the music would stick out a bit if it was there. Plus, there is always the Cleland code for those that would like to change that up. I'd like to see slightly deeper scoring strategy in many of the modes to really put this game over the top. As it is, some of the modes are simply "hit these few shots, you will get this many points for each". They are still fun and unique, but if they could be expanded to give us ways to boost the points, that would be awesome. Some of the modes have this, some do not. I hope to see these continue to develop a bit, but even as-is, this is very good code. Probably Lonnie's best in my opinion.

Deadpool definitely gets an honorable mention. The depth feels perfect for the game, and everything is just plain fun. Lots of variety and stuff to do, even if on the surface it looks fairly limited with "only" three battles. Very unique feel and definitely captures the feel of a big comic book adventure and the fights along the way. Top notch A/V assets.

JP is just too repetitive to get my vote, at least in the paddocks, and they are just not that exciting. Sure...the dinosaurs act differently, but does that REALLY change how you play them? Not really, at least for the average player. The T-Rex modes are by far the best part about that game. If the rest of the modes lived up to that level of excitement it would be an easy win, but they don't. The control room modes fall somewhere between. Decent variety, but not particularly memorable or exciting. I gave it an honest try...and it's a solid game all around, but it just doesn't pull me in as much as I want it to.

Batman 66 gets my vote. It doesn't have the adrenaline pumping excitement that I usually crave in a game, but the theme is integrated amazingly and is just so damn fun. The depth and breadth are staggering, and there are so many ways to play the game. Go for the major villains and blaze towards Villain Escape quickly? Go deep through each stage of the major villains? Change things up with the flipper press selections at the beginning of the game so you can play through a second, entirely different episode set for each villain? Go for minor villains...which is basically an entire game worth of depth by themselves? So many combinations and strategies to choose from with the minors, culminating in a choice of three very fun wizard modes. Or screw all the modes and see how crazy high you can build up your Batphone hurry-up...a very dangerous and addicting distraction that can blow up a score. Or mix and match any of the above in creative ways. Maybe finish Mr Freeze to kill the timers and then try to build up an insane Villain Escape jackpot value. So many ways to go. Yes...there is a specific combination of minor villains which is the known way to best blow up the machine if you are only looking for the highest scores, but like most things it is easier said than done. Hopefully Lyman will address this "exploit" at some point, but it certainly doesn't take away from all the choices, directions, and strategies that this game offers. No matter how you feel about how it shoots, it's hard to argue the quality of the code in Batman 66.

No matter what your preference, I think most of us would have to agree that we are in an era of some pretty amazing code overall. Sure, B/W games get most of the credit as the best machines made, but the depth of even the deepest B/W game has been eclipsed by most modern machines. We are to the point that when a machine with more simple code is released (say Munsters), it gets torn apart over it...even though it is every bit as deep as most of those B/W games that so many rave about.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Alright lets meet up here around 7pm or so. Remember "clunky".

I’m always up for beers. Actually,
    leaving to get some brewing supplies right now. I’d be there if you were around the block. I won’t forget - “clunky”.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Uh Gentlemen.....the question posed by the OP was best code of Spike 2, levels of clunky-ness was not.....

We digressed. It happens

#44 3 years ago

Why no Munsters

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

I love SW, and was so close to picking it, but the repetitiveness of the video mode is what keeps it from getting my vote. A really good game can result in 3-4 times through the video mode (I have had 5 a few times and even 6 once..ugg), and that's just way too much. A video mode should be once per game...MAYBE twice in an awesome game. You could also argue that Light Saber Duel "jail" can hold it down a bit, but it's such a great mode and if you hit your shots, that's a non-issue. Some priority tweaks and better fanfare for finishing a planet mode would put it over the top. Other than those few things, it's close to perfect.
    Stranger Things is also a real competitor now. Lots of ways to attack that game, and the modes are varied, thematic, and fun. Between the season modes, Demogorgan modes, and Demodog modes there is a ton of variety and the entire playfield is important. The way the modes build to fantastic mini-wizard mode "check points" is really great and gives a nice sense of accomplishment, even if you do not get super deep. I also love the atmosphere this game creates...great use of the assets they were able to get. Sure, the soundtrack is lacking the music the show is known for, but for the most part the game shoots for the spookier side of the theme, and to me the music would stick out a bit if it was there. Plus, there is always the Cleland code for those that would like to change that up. I'd like to see slightly deeper scoring strategy in many of the modes to really put this game over the top. As it is, some of the modes are simply "hit these few shots, you will get this many points for each". They are still fun and unique, but if they could be expanded to give us ways to boost the points, that would be awesome. Some of the modes have this, some do not. I hope to see these continue to develop a bit, but even as-is, this is very good code. Probably Lonnie's best in my opinion.
    Deadpool definitely gets an honorable mention. The depth feels perfect for the game, and everything is just plain fun. Lots of variety and stuff to do, even if on the surface it looks fairly limited with "only" three battles. Very unique feel and definitely captures the feel of a big comic book adventure and the fights along the way. Top notch A/V assets.
    JP is just too repetitive to get my vote, at least in the paddocks, and they are just not that exciting. Sure...the dinosaurs act differently, but does that REALLY change how you play them? Not really, at least for the average player. The T-Rex modes are by far the best part about that game. If the rest of the modes lived up to that level of excitement it would be an easy win, but they don't. The control room modes fall somewhere between. Decent variety, but not particularly memorable or exciting. I gave it an honest try...and it's a solid game all around, but it just doesn't pull me in as much as I want it to.
    Batman 66 gets my vote. It doesn't have the adrenaline pumping excitement that I usually crave in a game, but the theme is integrated amazingly and is just so damn fun. The depth and breadth are staggering, and there are so many ways to play the game. Go for the major villains and blaze towards Villain Escape quickly? Go deep through each stage of the major villains? Change things up with the flipper press selections at the beginning of the game so you can play through a second, entirely different episode set for each villain? Go for minor villains...which is basically an entire game worth of depth by themselves? So many combinations and strategies to choose from with the minors, culminating in a choice of three very fun wizard modes. Or screw all the modes and see how crazy high you can build up your Batphone hurry-up...a very dangerous and addicting distraction that can blow up a score. Or mix and match any of the above in creative ways. Maybe finish Mr Freeze to kill the timers and then try to build up an insane Villain Escape jackpot value. So many ways to go. Yes...there is a specific combination of minor villains which is the known way to best blow up the machine if you are only looking for the highest scores, but like most things it is easier said than done. Hopefully Lyman will address this "exploit" at some point, but it certainly doesn't take away from all the choices, directions, and strategies that this game offers. No matter how you feel about how it shoots, it's hard to argue the quality of the code in Batman 66.
    No matter what your preference, I think most of us would have to agree that we are in an era of some pretty amazing code overall. Sure, B/W games get most of the credit as the best machines made, but the depth of even the deepest B/W game has been eclipsed by most modern machines. We are to the point that when a machine with more simple code is released (say Munsters), it gets torn apart over it...even though it is every bit as deep as most of those B/W games that so many rave about.

Thanks for the excellent post.

I agree that the video mode in SW should not be played more than 1-2 times a game. Wish there was a menu option that could disable it or limit the number of times you can play it.

BM66 really sounds like what I’m looking for, think I’m going to try it again on location.

What’s your feeling on Maiden code?

#46 3 years ago

SW gets my vote.

I love the unique feel of its shot multiplier control and extreme risk/reward potential. My typical strategy is to build up the multiplier to a min of 10X before even starting to progress through the modes and focus on cashing in on shot values. Having to continually hit the 3-target bank to maintain a high shot multiplier is an added challenge in the overall juggling of sequenced shots.

The nice variety of modes and multiballs topped off by the ultra-cool hyperloop all contribute to an overall high stakes/adrenaline fueled game vibe!

#47 3 years ago

I voted for Star Wars. The complexity can be intimidating but the mode stacking , progression to mini wizard, and wizard modes, strategy and difficulty/risk reward makes it a really good game. You also have quite a few chances for extra and add a ball so you can make it through to the end of the game.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Thanks for the excellent post.
    I agree that the video mode in SW should not be played more than 1-2 times a game. Wish there was a menu option that could disable it or limit the number of times you can play it.
    BM66 really sounds like what I’m looking for, think I’m going to try it again on location.
    What’s your feeling on Maiden code?

The video mode can be a bummer...which is a shame because as far as video modes go, it is a really good one. Please do not let that shy you away from the game though. It truly is fantastic all around. I seriously had my finger hovering back and forth between this and Batman for better code. Yes I put Batman ahead a bit based only on code, but it's very close and as a whole package I prefer SW slightly. Both are awesome, and I'm very lucky to have them side by side. Wish you were closer...you'd be welcome to come spend some time with them.

As for Maiden, I am honestly not familiar enough with it to comment. I have played it a decent amount of times, but haven't owned one. It seems to have plenty of depth and variety. Lots to do and lots of strategy. Everything on the playfield seems meaningful and builds towards something cool. The game hasn't quite grabbed me enough to own yet, but I certainly wouldn't say no to one at some point. If I could afford a larger collection, I would definitely have one. From what I have seen, the code seems very satisfying and would keep you busy for a long time. Elvira is in the same boat, though I have played that only once or twice. Seems to be tons of depth though, and I hope to get some more time on one someday.

I know it is not Spike 2...but if I were to pick my favorite code of all time, it would probably be Game of Thrones, which has very similar structure to Star Wars but executes it just a little better to me. So many choices and different strategies between the different houses. Lots of variety and ways to attack the game. Tons to do. Adrenaline pumping...especially when battling the dragons. Final wizard mode is very hard to get to, but obtainable. Great use of A/V assets...the callouts really do the trick...especially the start of Black Water multiball and the SUPER JACKPOT! Heck of a game. I'm a pro guy for the flow and the coding makes slightly more thematic sense (Targ is actually the dragon shot, Wall multiball progress is up "north" in the lanes...it just makes more sense), but the Prem/LE are also fantastic. Walking Dead is another amazingly coded game, but the layout just isn't quite as fun to me and a bit too much of the code relies on the dangerous and not terribly fun to shoot drop targets (both mode qualifying and Blood Bath...my opinion it should have been one or the other). But I'm straying off the Spike 2 topic here...

#49 3 years ago

I was thinking the same thing..... I mean why not at least include it in the poll? I get that it doesn't get a lot of love here on Pinside, but they used the license material pretty good and the game has a decent sense of humor....

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kilowog:

..... I mean why not at least include it in the poll?

Because it shouldn't be in consideration. Aerosmith & BKSOR shouldn't be in here either.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-code-of-stern-spike-2?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.