Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    41HfOZFpvnL_SL500_AA300_.jpg
    goodtimes.jpeg
    Toweliehigh.gif
    #1 12 years ago

I just bought my first pin on Sunday, and I'm looking to do a cleaning on the playfield and some plastics. What is the best product to use? I'm looking to just take the glass off and clean it, but if there is another way to do this, I would love to here suggestions or lessons learned from the veterans.

I'm very new to this and I don't mind people going through some of the basics with me. If there is a post already out there on this topic, please re-direct me to that.

Thanks,
    Steve

#2 12 years ago

Novus 2 for cleaning and polishing. I used Millwax to wax mine, but read something recently that stated this is not really a wax, but a glorified cleaner. Not sure if that's true or not. I think any carnauba based automotive wax will do.

#3 12 years ago

I use the Creamy Go-Jo to clean the Stubborn Grime off the P/F,, Then Novus 2 .. I also have some Wildcat polish.. I don't use it much..

#4 12 years ago

Ya, Millwax has a solvent component to it. The odds of it hurting your playfield are probably really minimal, but a lot of people stay away from it for that reason. I like a good solid carnuba wax. Any wax that is liquid and in a bottle, I figure is primarily a "cleaning" wax, and not what I want.

I'll let Novus 2 do the cleaning, then follow with as many coats of wax as I have the patience for. If you have a Harley dealership nearby, they often stock Novus (good for helmets apparently).

So pretty straightforward - clean with Novus 2 (a liquid type material), buff until clean and shiney. It should look pretty good at that point. Put some coats of wax on top to protect it. Clean/change your balls if you haven't done that yet.

You'll ultimately want to take off most of the plastics to get down into the nooks and crannys and also to polish the plastics (use Novus 2 for that). But if that's a little intimidating to start, just do something easy like a sling. Strip it down to the playfield (easy to do), clean everything up (it's amazing how dingy the undersides of the plastics become) maybe new bulbs and rubber and reassemble. The star posts probably have old gunked up wax or Novus in the details - pull them off and clean them up with a toothbrush and your cleaner of choice. Put everything back together, stand back and admire how much better the one you just cleaned looks than everything else.

And if you are like me, that will drive you crazy and you'll start pulling all the other stuff off the playfield to make it shine too. Have fun!

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from examiner:

And if you are like me, that will drive you crazy and you'll start pulling all the other stuff off the playfield to make it shine too. Have fun!

I guess im kinda like you Examiner because once I clean one area I gotta do it all.And if your going to strip the playfield you might as well upgrade the lights and clean the undersides of the inserts. Never ceased to be amazed at how dirty they can get from the bulbs. Finish it all with Novus 2 and then some good carnuba wax and you will have one happy pin. Dont forget to bring your towel.

#6 12 years ago

i use novus #2 for playfield cleaning

mothers carnuba for waxing

cp 100 for all rubber components

invisible glass for , you guessed it glass, far better than windex.

terrycloth towels, qtips and compressed air complete my items.
    i have bought collinite no.885 fleetwax to try and like it as well.

#7 12 years ago

Dont forget to bring your towel. []

I've been wandering around for the past couple of weeks. You know helping people out with towel safety and proper towel use. It's important.

Toweliehigh.gifToweliehigh.gif

#8 12 years ago

Oh dear, it looks like Nimble Pin has spawned a junior jokester...hi, Bronze...

#9 12 years ago

Hi.
    Couldn't help it. I was watching an old South Park episode. I don't want to hijack the thread so everyone get back to polishing your playfields.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from Bronzelion:

Couldn't help it. I was watching an old South Park episode.

Sadly, every time someone mentions a towel in these forums I think "I need to get high..."

#11 12 years ago

OOooohhh.......

#12 12 years ago

Hahaha...thanks guys. Funny stuff. Examiner, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll start slow and figure things out as I go. Seems like a GREAT group of pinball experts are here. I'm glad I found this site. Thanks.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Oh dear, it looks like Nimble Pin has spawned a junior jokester...

Thanks TG-
    I guess I am the Pinside scapegoat now..?
    I didn't know BD retired already!

#14 12 years ago

I guess I think of np when it comes to pictures and wit, bd for general wit and tg for accidental wit from being confused?

#16 12 years ago

High praise coming from a guy in a gorilla suit!?!?
    I'll take it!
    This calls for a "Thumbs Up"...

goodtimes.jpeggoodtimes.jpeg

2 weeks later
    #17 12 years ago

Eh, did some more research and will no longer use Kit as it is a cleaner as well (you have to really look at the can to notice). Switched to Mother's Wax.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

i use novus #2 for playfield cleaning

Why Novus 2 and not Novus 1??

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from DarthPinhead:

Why Novus 2 and not Novus 1??

Novus 1 is used on the plastics

#20 12 years ago

Is this ok for the playfield (Turtle Wax Original)?:
    http://www.choiceful.com/prod_image/52239_m.jpg

And is it really necessary to wax a Diamond plate playfield?

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from BonisEnr:

Is this ok for the playfield (Turtle Wax Original)?:
    http://www.choiceful.com/prod_image/52239_m.jpg
    No,dont use the original use the one thats like paste.Diamond plate playfields just
    really need to be cleaned but its always nice to wax them for the shine.

11 months later
    #22 11 years ago

I was looking for the Mothers California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Paste and could not find it locally and Amazon was sold out at the time.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002U2V1O/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_d0_g263_i3

So I found the Chemical Guys WAC_301 XXX Hard Core Pure White Carnauba Paste Wax and Advanced Polymers that I will be using on my NIB TRON that I am getting this week.

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-WAC_301-Carnauba-Advanced-Polymers/dp/B003UWQFKY/ref=sr_1_1

#23 11 years ago

Novus 2 for cleaning deep grime.

Mother's Pure Carnauba Wax 05550 for waxing.

Microfiber Towels

#24 11 years ago

Avoid using sandpaper. Millwax has worked well for me but many view it as the 4 letter word in pinball care.

#25 11 years ago

Novus 1 for plastic and collinite for the playfield. After trail and error, I found this combo works best. I tired everything. Mother's 3 is mess and smells like shit. I stopped using it after I tired collinite. No offense to mother lovers.

41HfOZFpvnL_SL500_AA300_.jpg41HfOZFpvnL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Novus 1 for plastic and collinite for the playfield. After trail and error, I found this combo works best. I tired everything. Mother's 3 is mess and smells like shit. I stopped using it after I tired collinite. No offense to mother lovers.

Attachments 41HfOZFpvnL_SL500_AA300_.jpg (16.7 KB, 0 downloads) 4 hours old

Been using Collinate also after trial and error.

#27 11 years ago

I loved Wildcat but it eats clear so I had to switch to something else. My New fav is something I got off e-bay used it once and then purchased a gallon

ebay.com link: Pro Pinball Playfield Cleaner Polisher 6 PACK

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

Mother's Pure Carnauba Wax 05550 for waxing.

+1

Definitely a must-have

#29 11 years ago

It seems a lot of the (kindly shared) tips are for products but not for method(s).

I've acquired Novus 2 and have no luck AT ALL cleaning my WCS playfield. I've worked on the inlane with the contrast to the area where the ball cannot touch the playfield. Just for testing. I don't see any difference.

So, how should I use the Novus 2. How long should it sit before working on it? What quality cloth or towel? How and how long for the buff part of the job?

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

Novus 1 is used on the plastics

Wait...

What?!?

Novus 1,2, and 3 are ALL for plastics! Look at the back label.
    And letting #2 sit will not make it work any better. Just apply it to a cloth, and clean, don't put it directly on the P / F surface.
    Also #2 and #3 are abrasive, so don't use #2 all the time for cleaning, just on stubborn stuff that other cleaners won't remove.

#31 11 years ago

Some told me that alcolhol 97% was also working well. I havent tried it yet. People with experience who can comment on this?

#32 11 years ago

All my pins are clearcoat finish. Having said that...I use Meguiars NXT 2. I don't think it's a cleaner but I use mine as a cleaner wax one step solution. It seems to work for me

Deep gloss shine for teh win!

#33 11 years ago

How frequently do you guys wax the playfield (assuming let's say 20-30 games per week on each machine) and how frequently do you replace the balls? I've heard varying recommendations from once a week to once every couple months.

#34 11 years ago

@soren I prefer a magic eraser for ball tracks or stubborn dirt. It is abrasive, but so is Novus 2, and anything abrasive should be used carefully on a playfield. The magic eraser has the advantage of tiny fibers that will get down into cracks and remove dirt, requiring less work and therfore less abrasion. Just squirt a little simple green or citrus cleaner on the eraser and apply medium pressure while working in a circle. If it doesn't work fairly quickly with just a couple of passes, it probably won't work.

Use micro-fiber towels since they lift contaminants away and help prevent scratching.

See the following article for more info.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-101/routine-maintenance/139-cleaning-playfield

4 years later
    #35 7 years ago

The stern docs recommend novus 2 for cleaning the play field.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from atwong:

Holy 4 year old thread bump batman!

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from atwong:

Thanks. In other news, Kennedy was assassinated.......

#38 7 years ago

So the really knowledgeable tech I knew in the 70's said JUBILEE is the best thing for playing field. Its an old furniture wax. I had used it on an original Capain Fantastic machine we bought NEW it 1976 or so. Still have it in the family. Still works great. I just used it on a new purchase and still say it works great. Got a few bottles still. Not sure where you would find it but an oldy and a goody. Protects and speeds things up nice.

2 months later
    #39 7 years ago

Jubilee is baaaack...

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=22486246&KPID=16293822&cid=CAPLA:G:Shopping_-_Catch_All_-_New&pla=pla_16293822&k_clickid=3ff17055-6a33-402a-a855-1b490e850ddd

From the description, it's apparently a kitchen wax, furniture polish and a desert topping.

Thinking about trying this out on my newly acquired Blue Chip that has had nothings done to it Lewbowski, nothings.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from atwong:

So they want you to scratch it all up so you don't notice the problems on their 2016 playfields? Im kidding. ...kinda.... no novus 2 or 3 ever being used on my machines again. I'm one of the few who believe novus is to abrasive.

#41 7 years ago

Cheep glass cleaner for the plastics and Mothers Brazilian Carnuba paste wax in the red can Let the wax sit on there and harden up for a few hours dude!

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from Atebit:

From the description, it's apparently a kitchen wax, furniture polish and a desert topping.

I wonder how many bottles it would take to do the whole Sahara...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-cleaner-polish-wax-for-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.