• Dracula 4 votes
    2%
  • Hot Hand 1 vote
  • Lectronamo 1 vote
  • Stingray 3 votes
    1%
  • Magic 3 votes
    1%

(Multiple choice - 242 votes by 109 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 5.12.44 PM (resized).png
86377015_198743487984696_7518076020964982784_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200201-152809 (resized).png

#1 6 months ago

I saw some comparing of Classic Stern Games in a for sale thread, wanted to know what the masses think the best playing Classic Stern Game is. Not the best art, or theme, Sounds, or overall, what is the the best Playing game. For me, its Catacomb, Quicksilver and Nine ball. I don't think most of the other Sterns of that era are on the same level as those 3.

#2 6 months ago

I’d go with

Stars
Seawitch
Meteor
Nineball

#3 6 months ago

For straight gameplay
Quicksilver then Meteor

#4 6 months ago

I haven't quite played all of them, but I have to put meteor and seawitch up there.

#5 6 months ago

The surprisingly great one is Freefall. Rarely hear about it, but the one I play most often. Rules, shots, and sound really well done, very challenging game.

#6 6 months ago
Quoted from catacomb:

The surprisingly great one is Freefall. Rarely hear about it, but the one I play most often. Rules, shots, and sound really well done, very challenging game.

I’ve never had the pleasure of playing one. Hopefully someone will bring one to TFP this year so I can give it a try?

#7 6 months ago

Stars

#8 6 months ago
Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

I’ve never had the pleasure of playing one. Hopefully someone will bring one to TFP this year so I can give it a try?

Check out the tpf 2020 thread, there is an entire lineup of classic Stern machines that will be there

#9 6 months ago
Screenshot_20200201-152809 (resized).png
#10 6 months ago

Dracula

#11 6 months ago

Quicksilver, Meteor, Ali, Seawitch.

rd

#12 6 months ago
Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

A Freefall is being prepped to be there. I think it will be done in time.

#13 6 months ago

Man Free Fall just does nothing for me.
Another one I'm trying to put more time on.

#14 6 months ago

You’ve got Magic and Galaxy on the list twice, they must be double the player!

#15 6 months ago

It has a lot more going on than it seems. Really hard to get multi-ball (8 letters plus locks). The 3 bank plays tic-tac-toe to raise the value of the side target from 5K - 200K. Two different order rules on the left bank for EB and Special. And the spinner rotates between 100 and 5K per spin which really drives what you want to do. Make a bad shot and you're toast. Definitely worth some more plays.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Man Free Fall just does nothing for me.
Another one I'm trying to put more time on.

#16 6 months ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

You’ve got Magic and Galaxy on the list twice, they must be double the player!

Ah dang it

#17 6 months ago

Buddy of mine owns a Stingray, its not the best of rh3e classic era, but its amazingly fun.

Itll be in my line up soon

#18 6 months ago
Quoted from Stones:

Buddy of mine owns a Stingray, its not the best of rh3e classic era, but its amazingly fun.
Itll be in my line up soon

Fun fact, Stingray and Pinball share the same ROM.

I gave a Pinball to my parents, pretty fun game. Magic is still my favorite though. I know I'm biased though, it was my first game.

#19 6 months ago
Quoted from catacomb:

It has a lot more going on than it seems...

Awesome thanks for the info!

Thats the whole rub with classic Stern, the wacky rules are why we love them, but since they aren't intuitive you can miss something and leave a bad impression. That's why I try to never completely count a game out.

Other than Viper.

#20 6 months ago

the rare ones have less love cuz most people have not played them (dragon fist, etc).
meteor is the highest produced game on your list so of course it will get high votes.
quicksilver i have a feeling people vote for to jump on the price bandwagon.
its not that fun.
light a spinner from either in lane, shoot corresponding spinner.
that's it.
big game is prob the best rule game on the list, but once again, prob not many have played it.

1 week later
#21 5 months ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

the rare ones have less love cuz most people have not played them (dragon fist, etc).
meteor is the highest produced game on your list so of course it will get high votes.
quicksilver i have a feeling people vote for to jump on the price bandwagon.
its not that fun.
light a spinner from either in lane, shoot corresponding spinner.
that's it.
big game is prob the best rule game on the list, but once again, prob not many have played it.

WAIIITTT a second. Are you saying Quicksilver is Grand Prix 2.0??

#22 5 months ago

These are the 4 I currently own.

Have owned previously: Stingray, Lightning, Freefall, Catacomb, Meteor, Split Second, Lectranamo, Cheetah, Big Game, Trident, and Seawitch.

86377015_198743487984696_7518076020964982784_n (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-02-11 at 5.12.44 PM (resized).png
#23 5 months ago
Quoted from terrapinmark:

These are the 4 I currently own.
Have owned previously: Stingray, Lightning, Freefall, Catacomb, Meteor, Split Second, Lectranamo, Cheetah, Big Game, Trident, and Seawitch.[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice line up! Are these your favorite out of the Stern Classics you have owned?

#24 5 months ago
Quoted from Stones:

Nice line up! Are these your favorite out of the Stern Classics you have owned?

Thanks Stones!! Close. I really miss Meteor, Big Game, and Seawitch. Actually my favorite at the moment is Quicksilver! Someone mentioned all that you shoot for is the lit spinner. That couldn't be farther from the truth. The multiplier targets are extremely important. Spelling Quicksilver and getting 5X bonus results in a pretty cool light and sound show. Sweeping the targets in the center of the Playfield are also rewarding (spells a quicksilver letter)

#25 5 months ago

Thanks Stones!! Close. I really miss Meteor, Big Game, and Seawitch. Actually my favorite at the moment is Quicksilver! Someone mentioned all that you shoot for is the lit spinner. That couldn't be farther from the truth. The multiplier targets are extremely important. Spelling Quicksilver and getting 5X bonus results in a pretty cool light and sound show. Sweeping the targets in the center of the Playfield are also rewarding (spells a quicksilver letter)

Very cool.....!

#26 5 months ago

Yes, spelling "Quicksilver" is much more lucrative than just shooting spinners, and more fun too. Maxing out the bonus gives you one of the best sounding and looking bonus meltdowns out there.

#27 5 months ago

I also like freefall, the bonus rules are fairly insane

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 799.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 169.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 4.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside